Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Got punched in the face so I bought this to feel better and uh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm still just flubbing around getting used to mechanics and made it to ante number 6 on my second run but I blew the next 3 runs before ante 4. I will probably watch the two hours video on the first page but I'm enjoying just figuring it out for now

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

How many hours do I need to put into this on console before I stop hitting discard on huge hands instead of play cards

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

How dare you make fun of my giant hands

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm about to head home and watch a 2 hour video on how to get good at this game but if I'm hitting ante 5-6 consistently is there any deck in the basic decks that is considered best for winning games or should I just get better at picking joker cards and play for better planet cards than just the two pair one which is kind of my comfort pick atm

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah flush is what I'm looking for a lot of the time but I haven't quite gotten the hang of trimming back my deck which seems like a big part of the game. Am I missing something BC there are a lot of sold card synergies but I don't really see any way to sell cards except jokers

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Do more jokers unlock at some point or. I just having awful luck? I feel like I'm stalling out a lot. I barely see anything with multiplicative scaling and the stuff I see with additive scaling seems super specific. Is the voucher to increase the rate of planet or tarot cards in the shop a trap?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Made it to seventh ante, absolutely dumpstered by the small blind. Is there a recommended minimum amount of multiplicative chips to beat the base difficulty or can you just make up for it with a lot of additive jokers and ploughing planet cards?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So uh I still haven't beaten white stakes but I did just get the experience of having my entire strat come together perfectly completely by accident get dumpstered by a boss. I just fell into making face cards gold and feeding them to my vampire and printing money. I think this is salvageable with the vampire at x5.8 but I uh am not confident right now. I assume if I survive this round I will need a new base mult source to replace the whole base additive engine

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 9, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Never mind I was totally fine and one shot the final boss despite never really settling on a serious strat beyond feeding cards to the vampire lol

First win but there's unlocks tied to beating it with each deck apparently so I get to try some other strats

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Aipsh posted:

Feeding the vampire with Midas is one of them known strats. But the new update has nerfed it significantly

Yeah I wasn't consciously building towards face cards but it wound up being how it wound up anyway after I dumped paradolia. I keep trying to find it again until I petered out at ante 13

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

PoundSand posted:

tbh I don't even really get the point of nerfing something like that. Vampire/midas is a double uncommon combo and it does what, win an ante 8 run for you? There are double common combos that do that. It's not strong enough to carry high point scores because retriggers and x-mult are king there. It's not a pvp game so I don't really get the "it's too strong" argument, if you think it's boring just don't play it kind of bingo bongo reductionism I get it but like I've seen vampire plenty of times and generally don't grab it because I'm not interested in it.

I like playing the vampire while I'm still in white stakes. I really want to pull together my full paradolia face deck with vampire strat at some point and see how far I can go in endless with it. This game has a rad learning curve where the first 20 or so runs I got really annoyed and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and within the last three games it feels trivial to just blaze through white stakes. I'm looking forward to pushing the stakes up soon. Its also worth pointing out with the vampire that the issue of just one shotting blinds is avoidable by just playing bad hands of enhanced cards first. Probably not as effective without the full paradolia strat but it goes pretty hard. I was at about x20 mult by ante 12 even though I ditched paradolia. Double triggering is obviously v strong to me but what do the better x mult strats look like?

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 10, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

its so funny to me that ff7 rebirth came out, I threw 130 hours into it, wouldn't shut up about it, cried a couple of times, felt incredible catharsis and joy from playing it, and I'm still probably going to give my GOTY to the poker game that looks like it was designed to run on a VGA monitor with absolutely no story whatsoever

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Any tips on getting early game money rolling in? I feel like I can rip the first hand with one play fairly easy but if I don't get a joker that can reliably print money and a scaling joker in the first two shops I feel like I fall behind

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah I guess sometimes I just don't generate enough money without a cash cow joker to get to 25 before I die in the second or third ante but tbf I probably am buying scoring jokers in the first ante a non zero number of times which certainly isn't helping since that usually stalls me out around ante 4-5 anyway but it's usually BC I get offered a clear deck build around I haven't been offered before and I can't help myself.

Are there any skips that are clear slam picks in the first ante? Anything that can make as much money as playing a round obviously but is that it?

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 10, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Ugh I finally had a good start on the black deck that is kicking my rear end and somehow I fell over on the fourth ante

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah if it didn't have another deck behind a win on it I would have bailed ages ago. The annoying thing was I had 25 gold and full joker slots by the end of second ante somehow but I blew it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Honestly I think I'd do better with - hand size, minus hand manages to both cripple my economy and ultimately my ability to survive. Skips seem super important everytime I feel like I have a chance it's because the first two blinds had an insane skip

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

What was the Dracula joker before the nerf? BC it still feels like an auto pick to me if you have a reliable way to generate enhanced cards

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I haven't gotten the Cavendish yet simply BC I have never been offered the gros Michel until the very end of a run but it is so funny that this game has a reference to the Panama disease outbreak

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

The gay flush is when you flush the toilet even though you only went in there to snort ketamine

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eschatos posted:

The benefits get marginal real fast. Like yeah I never mind seeing a planet card for a hand I'm using but without the planet xmult joker the vast majority of them will always be worthless no matter your deck or strategy.

Honestly I'm bad at this game and don't really try to go infinite unless I get a very obvious banger setup but I had the planet X mult joker and it got me to ante 8 quite easily just buying every planet in the shop but I didn't bother to see how far I could go BC it felt like .1 for each planet just wasn't scaling very fast even with a decent cash flow and cycling the shop for them. I think I need to look at some joker tier lists BC I think I was underestimating X mult cards like campfire that reset at the boss blind

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I took a break from playing chequered deck once I got burned out on the second last stake and I've been doing some other decks on white stakes and holy crap I get how high card builds can be so powerful when you build around the right jokers. I haven't been trying any other higher stakes yet but white stakes seem completely inconsequential to me now and I think I'm going to work my way back up the final stakes on all decks and see which one I like the most now I am finally free of forcing flushes every game.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I really appreciate that they added touch screen controls to the switch port. Hell plenty of first party games that could use touch screen don't bother with that. They're quite good too I played a round one handed last night on the piss eating a slice of kebab shop pizza

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I didn't get a pic but I got my highest scoring run yet beating orange stake with square joker, ride the bus and the joker that gives X mult for kings in hand and just turned as many cards into steel kings as I possibly could. God I wish I had seen pierre the retrigger in hand effects bloke at any point BC that might have gone infinite. I petered out about ante fifteen but tbh I probably made a bunch of mistakes that could have gotten me further if I'd realised. How do you guys get so many good jokers with negative on them? Is it really just jamming that spectral pack card once 1 hand a round isn't a detriment anymore?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I am taking ride the bus every time I see it offered ante 1 and you can't stop me

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GoutPatrol posted:

good, that is the worst one anyway

I've gotten the soul spectral card 5 times in the last 24 hours and it was that one every time wtf

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

There's a difference between "hand contains" and "(name of hand) is played" the latter requires the scored hand to be the named one. That said it is kinda annoying that a four of a kind doesn't trigger the pants

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I'm keeping count of my soul spectral and I'm at 4 chicot and 1 Yorick which tbf could be worse BC perkeo seems almost as bad as chicot

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So I guess you're just looking for a key tarot card? Duping planets seems ok but a bit weak unless you also had the upgraded telescope voucher? I dunno I'm still struggling with gold stake.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

smoobles posted:

how do beat endless mode

You have to kill cronos. This game is secretly Hades 2.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Power of Pecota posted:

You can also get like a Death every round, or a Steel Card every round, or a Strength every round to get everything to Fibonacci numbers or something

Zodiac deck was the way to go for Stone Joker, what a squeaker after a sick square/green start

Speaking of Fibonacci I'm curious why people rate it. I get pretty good value out of it early game especially if I'm trying to juice the bus or the joker that adds mult for number of times the hand has been played but when you talk about using a duped strength to get ranks to Fibonacci I don't really get it. Is this in a scenario where you've used the spectral that makes all the cards into one rank? Plus chips and a small amount of mult doesn't seem super strong even in a pair or two pair end game build to me.

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 26, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah one thing I'm noticing is that a lot of xmult jokers trigger on the card scoring and not on the joker triggers at the end which explains why I've stalled out at ante 12 so often with strats that did me well for the base antes. Campfire and .1 xmult on planet cards played seem to work really well but campfire feels like it wouldn't be able to go endless I assume. I'm currently alternating chequered and 10 gold on start to finish gold, are there any other sleepers I should be trying? Extra hand size seems good I think?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wheel of fortune chat: I've only ever had it proc twice, and I buy it whenever it pops up and usually by the back half of a run I'm picking it over most options in tarot packs.

The other side of the coin is that I remember it proccing twice because both times it hit the joker I was planning on keeping with exactly the right edition. I still think they should tank the odds even further and add negative to its potential procs.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I feel like the needle shouldn't be a run ending boss but everytime I hit it I am NOT prepared and it's dumpstered multiple gold stake runs right as I thought I was about to beat it for the first time. I seem to never hit the boss reroll voucher when I'm doing really well and not only that I didnt realise the "sell this to disable the boss ability" can't be done on the select blind screen and threw a run that way the one time I ran into the needle with it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Me posting in the thread about card sharp: gently caress yeah this rules!! I'm going to get this every time

Me encountering the needle with card sharp: well this loving sucks, gently caress this. How was I supposed to prevent this

Do NOT perceive me like this

In other news today I learned the boss ability that costs money per card played can put you into debt. It remains to be seen if this is a run dumpstering lesson or not.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I managed to get a gold clear finally without the new patch but I'm looking forward to it dropping on switch

Wrt steel cards is there something im doing wrong BC like the baron the multiplier being added before my +mult from jokers doesn't seem that impressive. I managed to get a deck that was mostly steel cards by about ante 5, a disgustingly juiced +mult on hand played (I wanna say supernova?) # and a square joker running at about 110 at that point and while it was a reasonably easy clear on white stake I fell over in endless almost immediately once the serious scaling set in.

I had some other X mult as well and it should have been good in theory but it was a bit late (adds X mult for each added card in deck and I was running DNA to dupe steel cards) and probably needed to be a bit higher than x3 by the time I hit endless but I've played decks like this without the steel cards and I'm one shotting most blinds all the way to ante 8 even when the xmult drags a bit behind

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

the holy poopacy posted:

Get a source of mult that's based on card triggers (which means it gets added in before the steels/baron go off), and/or get red seals on everything and throw in a mime joker if you can to retrigger all your held multipliers.

Huh, it never occurred to me that would be a viable strat, I think I wrote off jokers that trigger on card play or the enchanted mult cards as bad past ante 5-6 ages ago but yeah I absolutely did not take into account X mult from cards like steel or even glass I guess. Are there any busted ones you build around or are.you just sort of looking for something that suits whatever deck you wound up with?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I just looked at that shoot the moon joker and I haven't unlocked it yet but I kind of love how many cards are locked behind just doing something cool or stupid so you just do a run to specifically unlock it and nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Hell yeah roll the dice