Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Sadly, it doesn't do anything cool, just scale the blinds to 100/150/200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I've had Big Mikes hold on for six loving antes. Bananas never do what you want.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Conversely, if it's blueprintable you could have a sort of anti-Dusk thing going if overlimit jokers get cleaned up in the cash out phase--swap Blueprint to one for final hand, off for play.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Hiker only scales the card it triggers on. Wee Joker scales every single card subsequently scored. In a 52-card deck, even assuming you will always use x card if you see it, you have +4 to something that has 13.5% odds of being in your hand, you're getting 0.54 expected chips per card drawn; Wee is 8 at 100% odds for 8 once it's happened.

8 expected chips is around 14.8x more reward than 0.54 chips. But not drawing a 2 is only 12x more likely than drawing a 2. And it's real, real easy to push 2 higher with Abandoned, smart arcana, or lucky spectral.

Castle fares a bit better at guaranteed 3 future chips per proc, but here since the gained chips apply to every play, we can ratio them on odds of triggering a gain to begin with:
.25 * 3 = .75
.08 * 8 = .62 (rounding issues)

Nice with a base deck. Can get even nicer with Smeared in play as well. But discards are rarer than hands, have unpredictable interactions with other jokers, and you can't ever chase 100% uptime with Smeared (and if we're bringing in Smeared we need to bring in Hack which is also a flat 2x procs) while you can with Wee.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I want to twist the other direction and get a joker that treats Heart/Club and Spade/Diamond as the same suit.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Aggro posted:

Speaking of dud cards, has anyone ever had a winning run that utilizes Stone cards? Even in my high card/pair runs, it seems better to just remove cards from the deck instead of replacing them with Stone.

The obvious exception is if you have the joker that adds a stone card every round and the joker that increases your xMult for every card added to the deck.

One of the big flaws in the game is that Glass and Steel are AWESOME, and Wild and Stone suck out loud. Same thing where Red and Purple tokens are great, while Gold and Blue tokens are pretty terrible.

Marble Joker + Vampire also does enough work to push you through ante 8, in my experience.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Arcana go hard on it, but also just checkered and buy the vouchers to have a 9 card hand and flush and dissolve in the lifestream.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah. Baron alone on a normally 2 mult pair with five kings in hand is 15 mult to be adjusted with your other jokers, already as good as an eternal gros michel or 100% hit rate on a mult-for-suit joker; Baron with five red seal steel kings is 6,651 mult before other jokers.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
A lot of the "how do I win", in my experience, is missing that "setup that squeaks through ante 8" is not the Charmander to "setup that goes exponential"'s Charizard, it's straight up a different path.

Doing ante 8 and getting the sticker on the deck and the unlock takes around one each of chips, mult, and xmult, with two and any negatives slots free to have alternate options in case of a bad boss that isn't Violet Vessel. And you can dump your entire warchest into rerolling for idk Blue Joker + Green Joker or Supernova if it didn't pan out + Cavendish or Ramen or Baseball Card.

Going exponential, on the other hand, is something to try for if you have most of the pieces fall in early or if you've already done the official clear. It's harder to put together and it definitely demands that you take that "what if I need to reroll ten times" budget and pump it into tarots and spectrals instead. Aiming for this because it's big numbers is a run-killer if the run is already marginal, while you can faceroll with decent success straight through gold stakes if you're OK with dropping on 9 big or 10 small.

But also, if you're going for OK deck a source of boss reroll/neutralization is often important in a way that it isn't when you're going to the moon.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 24, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Does it not? I don't know about spare trousers specifically but I know there are lots of cards that have the caveat of "contains a x" So that it's still procs Even when the actual scored poker hand is different

The logic doesn't quite work as expected around hands that are combinations of hands. The logic to find two pairs and full houses seems to look for a pair/3ok, and then look for a pair in the remaining cards, and then trigger, while say 4ok builds a hand that includes a pair (activating one conditional) but then fails on the check for whether cards not bumped for scoring on the first pass also contain a pair (because there's only one left.)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
$400 should eventually come naturally; at some point you'll have Rocket and Bull become a self-sustaining engine if you can feed it mult and xmult in the other three slots plus hand level, and if everything comes together by round 6 or so you can get even from $0 to $400 by the time it taps out. I think mine ended up with Baseball Card, Ramen, and Constellation on Nebula, with real basic stuff like Green Joker and Odd Todd filling in in the early game before I saw enough Plutos and Mercuries.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Another new micropatch.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Four Fingers has a little bit of niche value in Checkered Deck, with it you're guaranteed a flush in any deal and unlike Paintbrush or Juggler it continues working even through an early Ouija to help transition to 5oks and Flush Fives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

you can do gold without all the jokers & vouchers

i wrote this in an earlier post but the much more important thing in orange & gold stake is to reroll until you get a free cards & boosters (edit: vouchers are never free!) tag in the 1st or 2nd round of the 1st ante, hopefully get a good joker or two out of that, cruise through the next 2-3 antes, build up money, and try to find great jokers and cards after that

i beat gold without Stuntman or Seeing Double. if you've unlocked everything else but those, you should be good to go

Yeah, gold stake (especially new gold stake) is not something that needs a unique build like going exponential. You just need to, relative to white stake, additionally:
* Not rely on a joker that rolls rental, or already have the econ to support $3/round for it
* Not rely longterm on a joker that rolls perishable
* Gain 2x the white stake chip target
* Not rely on 3 base discards (so basically, Banner is worse and hand fishing is heavily discouraged--otoh, Bandit just gets better)
* Not rely on selling a joker that rolls eternal
* Not rely on the base $3/round for small blinds
... almost all of which you already did for orange. Any build which fails for reasons other than passing up a rental/taking it and stuffing your econ already would have failed orange, any other build which fails for reasons other than a perishable turning off already would have failed purple, etc.