Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Finally won my first run after 5 hours of playing. And I probably played the easiest possible deck (Green)…and got super lucky.

Jokers were:
1. Red Card, which ended up at +63 by the time the run finished because I was able to buy every booster
2. Smeared Joker (Clubs = Spades, Hearts = Diamonds)
3. Gluttonous Joker (+4 per Spade)
4. Fortune Teller (ended up at like +35)
5. Ramen (spent most of the game around 1.8x)
6. Cavendish (of course)

I aggressively got rid of all red cards from the deck, turned as many cards to glass and multi as I could, and had vouchers for +1 hand, celestial packs always have the best card, and some other poo poo. There’s not a lot of strategy when you’re always dealt a flush that starts and multiplier 38 and finishes around 580.

It was very satisfying to have the ante 10 Big Boss be “Diamonds are debuffed” when my deck didn’t have a single diamond :agesilaus:. Would’ve made it past ante 11 if it wasn’t for The Wall, that motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Extremely stupid question. How the hell do you build a deck that works that isn’t a Flush deck?

The only way I’ve been able to make deep runs is getting lucky with the Spectral Card that converts a bunch of cards to one suit or other tools that thin the deck. Some well placed Red tokens and multi cards, and flushes score well.

But I can’t see how people are managing to win decks designed around like, two pair. What am I missing?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

lol the jump from ante 11 to 12 is unreal

I had a flush deck going with every black card removed from the deck and the “hearts = diamonds” joker, a +170 coins joker, a +70 multiplier, a x3 multiplier, and two x9 multipliers (blueprint + vampire).

Despite playing three high value flushes in a row, still couldn’t get to 300,000,000

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Man I haven’t paid attention to skips at all. I literally don’t think I’ve ever considered it.

I’ve had a few monster runs to ante 12 before the combos run out of steam. It’s hilarious being able to trigger a Vampire at x13 multiplier multiple times, and other x3 from things like Card Shark. I had a run last night where pairs were scoring 20+ million each.

Still no fuckin’ clue how to break 300 million for ante 12.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Crushed a run today by getting Madness + Riff Raff, and Wheel of Fortune putting Polychrome on Madness. I also managed to keep Blueprint and/or Brainstorm in play for surprisingly long stretches. Made it to Ante 10 playing single cards like 90% of the time lol

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

the holy poopacy posted:

At black stake and up, some jokers randomly spawn as "eternal" jokers that cannot be sold or destroyed by any means. It's a double-edged sword, since it means you wind up stuck with jokers that you might have wanted to swap out later but it also means you can cheat effects that sacrifice jokers.

I'm not sure why it only appears halfway up the difficulty ladder, considering that it comes after several purely negative effects.

Yea, it would be nice if more stakes had mixed blessings like that. I actually like playing on black stake because it’s the only way for cards like Madness, Spectral Knife, Ankh, and Hex to be viable at all.

I agree with everyone that it seems inevitable that a Polychrome or Negative joker will either be one that disappears or is completely incompatible with the strategy for the run.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Finally joined 1.4% of Steam players and beat gold stake after uhhhhh 45 hours of playing. I had multiple runs end in Ante 8, which is a special sort of agonizing. The strategy was Checkered Deck and refresh until the 1st ante has tags for “everything in the next shop is free” and “boss blind adds an extra $15” and then beat the boss blind in two hands.

With that start, you open ante 2 with $25, and if the cards in the shop are decent, you’ll have 1 or 2 jokers and maybe a Jupiter. I ended up with an unexpectedly baller combination — Oops All Sixes and Bloodstone (so it’s now a 2 in 3 chance to get a x2 multiplier on every Heart). I got a progressive multiplier with Constellation, a static multiplier in Ramen, and capped it off with Baseball Card. From there, it was just filling the deck with Hearts and Steel. I one-shotted the final boss and it felt real good.

Next step is filling out the collection but it’ll be nice to play some low stress games with other decks.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

The downside of skipping is you lose the round benefits and access to the shop. The round benefits are the cash from beating the blind, the hands remaining, and interest. You also lose the chance to power up progressive multipliers.

Some of the skip tags are powerful, like ones that guarantee a negative or polychrome joker. Even ones that give a Mega Arcana or Mega Buffoon pack are solid. Depending on your income, the one for +$15 after the boss or double your money up to $40 are good too. The GOAT is the tag that gives you a completely free shop after the next blind. The rest of the tags kinda suck.

So, if you have little money, a small number of hands, and a Small Blind, skipping is probably worth it. Just don’t skip so much that you end up without any jokers and The Needle as the boss…

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Yea, Anaglyph made the $400 one pretty trivial.

I still need “discard 5 Jacks”, “finish in fewer than 12 rounds”, “play four 7’s of clubs”, “win while never having more than 4 Jokers”, “play 5 Gold cards”, and two of the Legendaries.

I think Erratic deck is probably best for the Jacks and Clubs but the rest is kind of a crapshoot.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

A nice thing for the Ox is that straight flush, flush five, and flush house are all different hands.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Some random questions:

I’ve unlocked every joker except for one Legendary. However, there are two that I still need to purchase in order to get credit. One is “Rough Gem” - $1 for every Diamond played. Is it just bad luck that I haven’t seen it, or does it only show up when I have a shitload of diamonds in my deck?

For Vouchers:

Will Glow Up only appear after I’ve already purchased Hone AND if I have at least 5 Jokers with special abilities? I’ve never even seen it.

Will Antimatter only show if I’ve already purchased Blank? I’ve unlocked it but I’ve only seen it once.

Am I ever going to unlock Illusion? I don’t want to buy 20 piece of poo poo cards from the shop :(

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I just had two back-to-back agonizing losses doing challenge runs.

For the first, I had essentially eliminated every non-face card in the deck and had Sock and Buskin, Baron, Baseball Card, etc. Final Boss was The loving Plant

For the next, I forgot to move a Glass card to the right to get the most out of the x2 multiplier and finished with 99,970 points.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Roseo posted:

Yeah if you get income campfire will just carry you wherever. I'm surprised he got to ante 12 without finding something to replace the gold mask joker and the mult/chips one though- there's likely way better choices out there that can be rolled in.

My only run to ante 13 was with “The Rich Get Richer” challenge. I doubled a polychrome Campfire and also had a Blueprint. I was playing High Card and finishing with a seven figure multiplier.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I have one voucher left and one legendary joker to finish my collection.

I got both on the same run!!!

Turns out challenge runs don’t count towards collections. What the gently caress

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

DrHammond posted:

Does obelisk reset if you play a most-played hand, or does it just stop accumulating additional xmult?

I assumed it was the former, but if latter it might be busted and I need to try.

It’s the former, which is why Obelisk is totally useless in the first 2-3 antes. You probably need to get “most played” up to 10 or so. The only time I’ve ever made it work was when I had Stuntman and some jokers with +mult irrespective of cards played, so I pivoted out of Flushes and played uhhhh everything else , making a point to use every single hand (and almost losing multiple times in the process). I think I ended at around 8x.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I just absolutely crushed the “Fragile” challenge. I got a ton of mileage out of Gift Card and some other jokers that generate income, so by ante 3, I already had close to $100. From there, it was just fishing for planets and jokers with +mult or anything that facilitates playing high cards and pairs. I also skipped every blind in antes 6-8.

For shits and giggles, I ran it to ante 12 where I lost to The Hook. I learned that another way to lose is to completely run out of cards. Oops.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Gotta combine Space Joker with Oops All Sixes and Blueprint. Then it’ll upgrade at least 1 hand.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Man, the last few challenges are brutal. I got through the first 15 within the first 3 tries with few exceptions. Golden Needle is kicking my rear end. Even taking down the first boss means that you have to get solid jokers with +mult and ideally a Planet card to upgrade Flush or Full House. It’s almost impossible to get out of debt and generating income is so goddamn hard when there’s no hand bonus.

I made it to ante 6 in a run where I was able to make face card pairs a viable scoring hand but it topped out at like 40k chips.

I feel like the only way to win is getting super lucky a Spectral pack and maybe finding Stuntman and another equally powerful joker.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I didn’t think it was THAT bad to finish all of the stakes, particularly with some of the gimmicky decks like Abandoned, Checkered, Anaglyph.

But guys, seriously, what fuckin’ black magic do you have to pull off to finish the final 3 challenges!? More than half my runs don’t even make it past the first boss.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Mea Tulpa posted:

Golden needle was the toughest. You start with the credit card, so it shouldn't be too bad finding a joker or planet that gets you through ante 1. It was helpful to max out the card and then get a spectral that sets money to 0. Some bosses like water can end the run, and there's not much you can do.

Cruelty wasn't too bad. You should be able to get through ante 1 with no jokers using a reliable hand type like flush.

Jokerless pretty much requires building a deck with enough glass cards to win, so tarot cards become the most important resource. Once you can clear 100k reliably, skip all the blinds to conserve glass cards and hope for some good tags.

A guy in Reddit posted this and I figured I’d copy it here because it’s seriously good advice.

quote:

A lot of it is just pure Balatro fundamentals taken to the most extreme. If Gold Stake taught me to adore High Card and Pair, then the challenges makes you realize that Four of a Kind is one of the strongest hands in Balatro. It's essy to build around, it accomodates a lot of steels/glass, and most inportantly it scales incredibly well.

It'a funny you mention Golden Needle really because I employed the same basic strat for that and Jokerless. Immediately level up Full House in the first Ante, keep a bonus/mult arcana at the ready, and then at a moment's notice immediately pivot into Four of a Kind. If I can't reliably get Mars to level 3 by the end of Ante 2 I restart. Golden Needle is easier because it allows you to have econ Jokers instead of entirely relying on RNG. But the premise is the same.

• ⁠Ante 1-2 = Full House, hunt for econ cards, level up Four of a Kind, and begin altering your deckwith Deaths or Strengths. Strengths are especially good.
• ⁠Ante 3-4 = The easier Antes once you have a goid Four of a Kind level. Continue altering your deck, econ some more, and hunt for multipliers.
• ⁠Ante 5-8 = Ideally at this point you'll have some decent multipliers now (Steels or Glass if Jokerless). Level uo Mars whenever possible. Continue what you're doing until Ante 8. The early Antes are always the hardest.

Telescope and Reroll vouchers are a MUST. Spectral packs especially if you get Immolate is godly. Always have a steel or glass in hand to push your points. Don't be afraid to push your luck with Lucky Cards, Jokerless is already RNG heavy so might as well right?

I hadn’t considered going hard for four of a kind but I can see it working. It scales way faster than Flush. Still so, so dependent on getting the right Tarot cards and maybe a couple of Spectrals.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Just spent 3 hours trying to beat Golden Needle and failed.

As soon as I get this achievement I’m taking a screenshot, framing it, and uninstalling this game.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Chadzok posted:

Unfortunately on the higher stakes I sit there for a random 0-5 minutes rerolling the small blind skip until it's the free packs and cards next shop.

I can't decide if I'm ruining the game for myself or I'm just doing it because gambling rules.

sometimes 5 minutes 'R'ing, get to shop, oops all planets. _RRRR_

Yep. Same thing for the later challenges. Ideally, it’s the Free Shop and $15 for the boss. Start ante 2 with a couple of decent jokers and either a decent tarot card or planet. There’s really no point in trying to compete a run otherwise.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

How did any of you lunatics have the mental fortitude to finish Jokerless?

I’ve been at it for 15 hours. Multiple losses in ante 8, some by fewer than 1000 chips. It’s so frustrating and boring. It’s the last accomplishment I have for this game (gold stakes done, collection done, etc). The completionist in me doesn’t want to let it go but holy gently caress is it frustrating.

My strategy has been to refresh the first antes until I get a free shop and $15 for beating the boss, or a double of either of those. The only planets I buy are Earth, Mars, and maybe a Jupiter in the first 2 or 3 antes. From there, the goal is to convert every card into 2 or 3 numbers. If I get a Spectral pack, amazing. Otherwise it’s using Strength and Death as much as possible. If those aren’t available, then I’ll make Glass or Steel cards. Ideally, I end up with like, 10 of each of my desired cards and a super high multiplier for 4 of a kind, with all the cards left in hand providing 1.5x.

Even then, I played 3 Four of a Kinds in a row and still couldn’t win. What the gently caress

It’s also bullshit that packs still include Judgment, Wheel of Fortune, and Temperance

Aggro fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 25, 2024

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Obelisk only works in hyper specific situations. There’s no point in buying it before ante 4 and no point in buying it after ante 7. The only way to make it work is to start the game by playing a ton of Flushes and Full Houses and aggressively manipulate the deck so that by ante 5, you’re able to play 4 of a Kind, 5 of a Kind, Flush Five, and Flush House instead. Or maybe you’re able to pivot thanks to great jokers that let Pair or High Card work.

You need to get your most played hand to a minimum of 12 for it to work.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Einwand posted:

Golden needle is mostly just getting the right jokers for some form of niche hand that will oneshot every blind, since you get to many discards you pretty much guarantee you can draw into your one good hand. Very RNG like all 3 of the last challenges, but it's the most reasonable of them I think.
Jokerless is just bad, you constantly clear ante 1 small blind, look for standard packs, open them and look for some sort of god card, holo/poly +gold or red seal mostly, and then actually draw it in the proceeding blinds and also get enough deaths to turn your deck into that card, and then not get "card type is debuffed" or the final blind which disables cards until you sell a joker, etc etc etc. Also you have to pray that not too many of your glass cards break before you win, because they're 100% required for it to be beatable.

Hahahaha you can run into the Verdant Leaf??? That’s so, so hosed up.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

20/20 challenges done, thank you so much for this! Flushes got me there... with, you know, twenty or so failed runs, and twenty or so broken glass cards along the way (actually, only 12. ended with 44 in deck so that's 8, plus I bought four cards from standard packs so that's four more.)

Only 20 failed runs!?

I’m at like 120. Politely go gently caress yourself tyvm

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

gently caress YOU BALATRO GODDAMN JOKERLESS BULLSHIT

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Scholtz posted:

Skip blind and pray to god you get the boss blind reroll?

I tried that. Didn’t work.

Also my flush multi was so high that I played 6 flushes in a row and even with every card being debuffed, I got to 80000. Fuckity loving gently caress

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/clr4Qhb.mp4

That's probably enough Balatro for me for a while.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

pisshead posted:

After a few wins at white stake, decided to try red stake. It's a lot harder even though it doesn't seem so, can't quite manage to get the economy going. How do I work out where the best place to put Blueprint is? And how do I play if I can't get any x-mult?

You pretty much always want Blueprint on your highest xMult card. If you don’t have xMult, then use it for your highest +Mult especially it triggers on every card played. If you have a kickass card like Unburnt Joker, DNA, Cartomancer, etc — you can always start with Blueprint on that card and move it over after.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I had asked that much earlier in the thread and was told it was locked when you played your hand. That's ripe for new builds if so.

This is a very specific edge case that allows the Blueprint to work multiple times. The only cards that allow this are Cloud 9, Rocket, Reserved Parking, Golden Joker, and Satellite.

You can’t use Blueprint to get like, extra chips then extra +mult then extra xMult

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Onmi posted:

The only challenge I have left to do is Jokerless, and drat it's kickin' my rear end.

I posted uh, way too much about Jokerless. It does require you to get extremely lucky but after I started going after a specific plan of attack, I saw more and more progress.

You need to get your economy rolling early because you have to buy as many Tarot and Celestial cards as possible. I would refresh until I got the “$15 for beating the boss” in ante 1. Getting a Hermit in Ante 2 or 3 will make a huge difference. From there, pick a suit and aggressively convert cards to that suit. You also want to start making as many Glass and Steel cards as possible, but mostly Glass. The absolute best Tarot card in the mid-to-late Antes is Death, especially if you have a Glass card with a Red stamp or Holo/Poly. The only Planets worth buying are Mars and Jupiter. Avoid playing Flush Fives or Flush Houses because it just adds more variance. Every voucher is helpful, but Telescope makes a tremendous difference. And you can still get turbo hosed by getting Verdant Leaf (sell a joker or everything is debuffed) in ante 8.

In my final winning run, my deck only had 37 cards, 36 of which were hearts. Almost every card had some sort of upgrade. My last hand was 4 Red Stamp Poly Glass 9s for 1.2 million points. It was intensely satisfying after close to 100 failed runs and at least 10 hours.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Really appreciate these tips - was able to clear jokerless within 5 or 6 attempts after trying to follow these guidelines

Congrats! But also, gently caress you, 6 attempts!?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Onmi posted:

It is my duty to report silly rear end Balatro runs

What did you get your High Card up to lol

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Golden Needle?

Yea, that’s the first of a series of progressively more miserable challenges.

Edit: actually Blast Off sucked poo poo too

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Take a page from Slay the Spire: make you fight two final bosses back-to-back and add some kind of unremovable dud card(s) to the deck.

Speaking of dud cards, has anyone ever had a winning run that utilizes Stone cards? Even in my high card/pair runs, it seems better to just remove cards from the deck instead of replacing them with Stone.

The obvious exception is if you have the joker that adds a stone card every round and the joker that increases your xMult for every card added to the deck.

One of the big flaws in the game is that Glass and Steel are AWESOME, and Wild and Stone suck out loud. Same thing where Red and Purple tokens are great, while Gold and Blue tokens are pretty terrible.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

So many of those buffs make the game easier and I am now SO MAD that I spent uhhhh 160 hours already on this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

85 completed gold stake runs and I've got Completionist++! Chicot was the last one to cross off.

For most commonly used jokers:

20+: Supernova, Stuntman (da goat), Blackboard
15-19: Square Joker, Hologram, Vampire, Green Joker
10-14: Blue Joker, Card Sharp, Ride the Bus, Abstract Joker, Baseball Card

Glad to answer any questions~

I’m genuinely impressed by how quickly you pulled this off. I’m pretty sure once you 100% the game, the developer is required to come to your house.

You were also smart to save Jokerless for last because grinding through that bullshit completely burned me out on Balatro.