Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I don’t think a game has had its hooks in me like this since Civ V came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I’ve only just started doing the higher stakes runs and the abandoned deck has given me the most success so far. It’s just way easier to get a consistent build going when you take out a huge chunk of the deck first. It’s pretty easy to get straights to get through the early antes until you can get some good jokers going.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Changing the game speed to 4X helps when playing through the first ante on a high stake to quickly rush through and see if it's a viable run or not. Not an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless.

Does everyone not just play at 4x speed all the time regardless?

I just finished purple stake, so it doesn’t quite sting as much that I killed my run in endless mode by accidentally killing my Blueprint with the Ceremonial Dagger, but you can bet I’ll never do that again.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I don’t know how many runs it’s killed necessarily, but god drat I hate The Arm more than anything. If you’ve been focused on one hand type it’s just completely demoralizing to watch it chip away all your hard work.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Finally got a legendary joker! The one that gets x1 mult per destroyed face card!

…while I was using the Abandoned deck.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I’ve been trying to clear orange stake and I think I’m hitting a point where it’s just not fun at all anymore trying to slog through early antes trying to get something that makes a run feasible at all. It feels like it’s about 90% luck-based at this point.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Makes it easier to activate Ancient Joker which, in my experience, always picks the suit I have the least of.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Relyssa posted:

I lost a run where I pulled 3 black holes but failed to trigger a single wheel despite trying about 7 of them. what the hell is this rng

There is NO WAY Wheel of Fortune has 1 in 4 odds. I get a hit on one maybe one out of ten times. It’s absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I finally got into scientific notation scoring on a pretty wild run. I played Anaglyph with the intent of getting a ton of negative jokers via double tags, and got a Perkeo in like the first shop, and over time managed to get an entire deck full of polychrome steel kings, with Mime to double the steel and Blueprint + Brainstorm + Baron to stack a bajillion 1.5x bonuses off of everything in hand. Unfortunately I never found any red seals and I imagine they would have helped me get up into Ante 17 and beyond, but my best hand was 3.311e19 and by god I’m probably gonna take a little break from this game now that I’ve done that. I ended up with 24 jokers total but ironically not a single one of the negatives ended up being all that important to the strategy.

On a side note I really appreciate how the game can be rewarding both for trying to put together absolutely obscene high scoring runs but also for getting through white knuckle tense runs in high stakes.