Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

municipal shrimp posted:

How does this work? Are these specific blind skip rewards that give you more earnings on the boss blind?
I actually managed to do this myself!

One of the unlockable decks in the demo gives you a "double tag" when you beat the boss blind. When you have one of those, the next tag (the blind skip rewards) will be given to you twice. So this would have been gotten by getting two double tags (they don't effect each other, but they do stack!) then hitting the "get more money for beating the boss blind" skip reward so you got three copies of that skip reward instead of just one.

In my case, I got a Joker in the store that did nothing, but gave me a double tag when sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
...I don't think i'm allowed to play any other hands any more.

Anaglyph deck is ridiculous.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jossar posted:

Thanks to frytechnician for pointing out in the February Chat Thread that we now have a definitive price for the release: $14.99

Pretty happy to see, that's about as cheap as could be expected without banking on sale-by-volume.
Oh poo poo, that price is right.

The developer also mentioned on his personal account that there's an "Unlock Everything" button in the options if you don't give a poo poo about roguelite metaprogression stuff. Which is nice!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

In the demo, is there a way to go beyond five ante? I've found some search results with people talking about higher ante, but it might be from an earlier demo and this one is capped at the current demo boss.
There was an earlier demo that did not limit the ante, but instead limited the number of hands that could be played before you were locked out of the demo.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Popete posted:

In the livestream he seems to have it in a mode where hands play (animate) more quickly. Is that a setting you can configure now or specific to the full release?
There's a speed option in the settings menu. I've had it put up exactly one notch for a while.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

I have to go into the office tomorrow so the game better not come out until 5 PM. :mad:

Jossar posted:

Alas and alack, the official release time for tomorrow is 10 AM EST/7 AM PST/3 PM GMT on PC, and an hour later on consoles, unless you're playing on a Switch in the Asia region, in which case *shrug*.
Most Steam games come out at 10am Seattle time. Switch games usually land at midnight in your local time zone. Dunno about other platforms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

barnold posted:

the question mark at the end of "Does nothing?" on the Blank Voucher is so suspicious. and yet I feel obligated to purchase it
Yeah, that thing is absolutely going to bite me eventually. And yet, and yet...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wound up on Ante 0 in one of my first games. 🤔

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently a phone version is in the works, and set to destroy all my productivity for all time, forever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Oh lord, you can get the Arm early. That's devastating.
This is how I learned that hands can be Level 0.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

what you playing on? i dont think there's been any updates so i presume it's on your end
There's been at least one minor update on Steam. Just some small bug fixes.

In other news, GamesRadar did an interview with LocalThunk shedding light on the game's origins.

It was originally intended to be a simple version of Big Two for a small circle of friends to play against each other online, but then they watched some videos of someone playing Luck Be A Landlord and killed the online focus in favor of a single-player chase for More, Bigger Numbers, at which point personal circumstances suggested that making it a commercial product would probably be a better idea than sticking to the original intended audience of, like, four people.

They intend to keep updating the game as long as it stays fun to develop, but there's no plans or roadmap or whatever.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

is it ba-LA-tro or BAL-a-tro

Wikipedia posted:

In ancient Rome, a balatro (/ˈbɑːlɑːtroʊ/ BAH-lah-troh) was a professional jester or buffoon. Balatrones were paid for their jests, and the tables of the wealthy were generally open to them for the sake of the amusement they afforded.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The publisher is saying that the game achieved profitability within an hour of launch and coasted past the $1 million mark in just eight hours.

That's good, right...?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
An update on the age rating kerfuffle: It only affects the Switch in non-US regions.

https://twitter.com/PlaystackGames/status/1764647449916821922

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Finally, FINALLY managed to win with the Black Deck so I could unlock the No Thoughts Head Empty Just 🅵🅻🆄🆂🅷 Deck my grimy little heart so desired. Had a lot of trouble with the one-less-hand per round, but turns out having multiple huge multipliers together at the end of my Joker list (Vampire and Throwback each hovering around x3) made things a lot easier. Who knew, right?

Anyway, in utterly unsurprising news, this game is continuing to make friends:
https://twitter.com/PlaystackGames/status/1765366560808378483

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Balatro is back on the Switch eShop in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, albeit with very silly new age ratings (18+ in Europe, M in Australia)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

OK, so seriously, is there an actual unlock for getting the card that generates legendary jokers to appear?
None of the spectral cards are locked behind anything. The Soul card is just kinda rare.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Color Printer posted:

I think Jimbo should have more lines. Beyond that lmfao wtf

Zamujasa posted:

i do wish jimbo had more lines and appearances, though. they should put in an option like old Hoyle Card Games that let you turn up how talkative he is, from "shows up at the end only" to "clowns on every single hand you play"
The demo had the final boss on its own ante, with the blank space from not having any big or small blind being filled by Jimbo popping up and basically going "Yikes, I hope you've prepared for this one!"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/BalatroGame/status/1769688903378670004

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The composer threw the soundtrack on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnGQeVTt4KI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mystes posted:

Maybe they'll also change the UI somehow to make it more smartphone friendly?
Yeah, it sounds like Localthunk wants to make sure the UI is polished and good on mobile, including portrait-orientation support.