Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I only played a few games but it feels like you're supposed to play for two pair every time. Is uranus too inconsistent to make that reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok the third deck is AWESOME. I've played a few rounds and for every deck it feels like you live or die on whether you get a joker that can carry you through the stage 2 boss while getting to greed (by skipping blinds or by building econ).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So popcorn is just broken right? I can't think of a single turn in the game where I wouldn't buy it immediately (outside of clowny already-won-the-game combos).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've just been playing Anaglyph over and over. If you buy whatever jokers make you strong enough for the first two antes you can very often just go straight to 50 gold by ante 3 or 4 with an econ blind. It's certainly fun it just seems a bit easy.

EDIT:

This isn't even very uncommon with anaglyph..

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 5, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

err posted:

how do I counter face down draws? the 32,000 blind just messed me up.
The easiest way is have an op deck and use a discard after each draw - the Fish only gives you face down cards after you play a hand. You can also re-arrange your hand by suit/rank to still be able to hit flushes. Imo 32k is the worst time to hit the fish he's less bad at most other blinds.

I lost my first run of Balatro to the Fish too and I was pissed but I haven't lost to it since (i've lost to other stuff instead)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 6, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's one boss that only allows you to play one hand type. Whatever hand you play first is the only hand that will score against them for the entire blind. It's my least favorite boss because it forces you to build your entire deck around one specific hand in case it comes up late enough to be a difficult round, and it discourages having more all-purpose decks that don't focus around playing the same hand over and over. Hard to say how that will change with the full game though.
I compare most bosses to The Wall. I dont think most decks I've played have more trouble with The Mouth than the Wall. The exception is decks that both a.) are built to play a specific hand and b.) are leaning on that 40 chips per remaining discard card because that situation can get pretty awkward because you cant play out a trash hand for the redraws.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If the first hand you play is high card your only scoring hand will be high card (ask me how I know!!!)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bull is fun but it kind of feels like for this game to be balanced $100+ should usually mean a won run anyways. Which makes me wonder about it being so easy to do with anaglyph. If it's the kind of game like Isaac where some decks are just way stronger than others and collecting chips on every different deck is the challenge then I guess it's not a big deal.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Did we talk about the nerfs from a few days ago? Popcorn is -4 now and costs 5 dollars which is a good change. Credit card got buffed which seems wacky to me but whatever. Idk what else has changed but anaglyph is still op.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

How do you think the main game's gonna go? I feel like it'll get stale if you're expected to get to the millions every game because there arent as many strategies that scale that high (even recognizing that a lot of jokers will be added to the game the stuff that gets you to 100 million has to be more limited than stuff that gets you to 60k). Maybe the ante 6 boss counts as a win and gets you a blue chip and you can get different colored chips by going higher?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Alkanos posted:

I'd also like to see this. They could do it with an exponential requirement so you don't get too much extra (which they';d have to balance around). For example, getting 2x the blind would get $1, 4x is $2, 8x is $3, etc. That way even if you get 10x the amount needed, it's not even enough for a single joker. But it's still a nice bonus.
I don't think this works with the game design. There's a crazy amount of shop 1/stage 1 variance and this would exacerbate it. That said I just play anaglyph and ignore econ and recoup it all by giga skipping a blind so maybe trading all your econ for power is just how people want to play.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 15, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If its any consolation you do get a gold per remaining hand so you get a pretty substantial reward for being above the power curve. But I agree there's definitely a gulf between what the game wants out of you and what players actually like doing (taking screenshots of complete overkill).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Smeared joker looks op. One joker and ez flushes all game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 20, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

barnold posted:

how in the poo poo are you supposed to build a deck to beat The Fish. is there a joker that reveals face down cards somewhere :psyduck:
This blind's description isnt clear enough. Everyone has this initial reaction including me. It only gives you face down cards after you play a hand not after you discard, so you can discard face downs and get face ups.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

apophenium posted:

I'm bad at thinking through things so never bothered with Obelisk. But is the optimal strategy for it just cycling through kinds of hands? Or if you have like three different hands tied for most played do you have to avoid playing all three?
Usually when you pick it up there will already be a hand you've played way more than others. If you get it stage 1 randomly somehow I dont even know what I'd do. Probably try to play one kind of deck through stage 4 then pivot it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The new face card archetype is simultaneously broken and tedious. Farming 25 gold a round gets kind of old after two blinds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The new econ cards are way too strong. $5 for discarding three face cards???

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elman posted:

How does it work anyway? Is it possible to have 2 "main" hands and juggle them or do you have to spam a specific hand and then spread around so it lasts for a while?
You force one hand find obelisk and then start forcing a different hand. It all depends on where you are in the game and what you have, if you're in good enough shape after forcing flush all game you can often just start alternating between High Card/pair/two pair for the rest of the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Arcanuse posted:

blargh. managed to spoil a winning black deck run earlier by not paying attention to hand count. a stencil, a negative stencil, some other negative, and a few other jokers.
Which does bring me to this: Stencil, even full up on jokers, was still a 2x multiplier.
Might've been something more to it, but if not hey, free 2x multiplier at minimum if you see it.
You needed two stencils for that to happen because Stencil doesnt count as a card for its ability. One stencil is just X1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Gold deck seems strongest of the five basics imo. There are so many ridiculous econ cards that spending down early (even with credit card) is just a super strong way to play. I'm probably gonna try to do all the difficulties with it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WarEternal posted:

There's a review like this for every single roguelike that ever existed and the problem is always that they don't bother to utilize all the mechanics that help you win. I bet there is a way to win the majority of seeds, on difficulty 1 there's probably a way to win every time.
I've won my first six runs since release and in a month everyone will be much better at the game than I am now - winning 95% of the time on normal mode probably wont even be hard for most players once they're experienced. I admit I expect to do a lot of fishing for a good start at the high difficulties though.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2024

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think playing only disabled cards makes none of your triggers go off the hand is just void. Not 100% as to exactly how the rules work.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, my bad - I guess I'm confusing the behavior with what the mouth does (or at least did in the demo) when you play a new hand where the hand just gets ignored. Ty, worth keeping min mind.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Blueprint is just ridiculous. Best card in game by far imo. You can move it around to double certain econ/tarot generation cards on the relevant turns too.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

How are people getting so many foil, negative, polychrome?? I had the 2x voucher and despite rerolling about 3 times per shop I only saw one foil for my previous run.
Speaking personally, picking wheel of fortune every time even when its wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Popete posted:

Wheel of Fortune has only ever worked for me like twice. It's crazy how often it doesn't hit for a 1 in 4 chance
it's ok, I'll keep buying that garbage.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I kinda wish the boot and the bull werent in the game cause then I wouldnt have any reason to greed past like 50. Oh well cant be helped.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I know expectations for this game were sky high but it's way better than I thought it would be. The higher difficulties make the game so interesting and the colossal # of jokers in the game makes so many runs crazy and reward you for recognizing combos.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Mechanical question for unlocks: there are some vouchers that are just better versions of other vouchers. Like one that's like Hone but makes foils/holos/prismatics 4x as common instead of 2x. Are there conditions for having them show up in a run?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

Yes, those ones can't show up in a run unless you've already redeemed the basic one, basically the unlocks just give you the opportunity to buy that effect twice.

Super mega secret spoilers: The "blank" voucher has an upgraded version that does something incredibly good, but the only way to get that one is to gamble $10 on a blank voucher and hope that the upgraded one shows up later in the run. Worse, the unlock condition on adding the upgraded blank to the pool is... buying the blank voucher 10 times, so you have to repeatedly throw away $10 on a voucher that does nothing just to have the opportunity that it might pay off in future runs.
I'm glad i clicked this spoiler. Ty thats super helpful.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was a little disappointed that the boss that shuffles jokers didnt make my ritual dagger eat a random joker. Relieved, but disappointed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

That sounds nearly impossible in the early game.
Sure, but its already advantaged in the early game because you wont have interest income and you get +1 gold per remaining hand even if you use all your discards. It means you can spend down with no punishment but you also have to win prrtty hard to cover your interest loss. (imo gold deck is better)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Steel cards are so good and the steel card joker is op. I've even picked the steel tarot over wheel of fortune at times (and I'm sorry).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Seems like the Checkered deck is almost an easy mode where you can climb to higher stakes by sticking to mainly flush strategies, or strategies that focus on jokers that buff spades or hearts exclusively.
I hit ante 13 and I was not mentally prepared for that chip jump. Blueprint -> 40x vampire with level 20 flush checkered deck is just about the best I can come up with for now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I beat the final difficulty! And all it took was prismatic blueprint and every OP joker!

Out of these stuntman is the one that's really just clearly too strong imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Do you stop getting offered negatives after you buy two? I've never gotten 3+ negatives on a normal deck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Onmi posted:

I feel like this is still counting my demo stats for the Jokers, just for how MUCH of a lead Spare pants has.
Does omelette challenge give you 5x egg value? only way my stats make sense.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Yikes, you guys weren’t kidding about the black deck. :gonk: An extra joker slot is not worth the reduced hand count. I can’t think of any synergies the deck is good for.
It's good for tons of synergies, you'll just be so beat up getting there that it's hard to actually cap higher than other decks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

New dumb trick I learned: you can move Blueprint around while the score is being tallied to have it trigger on multiple cards.

Mostly I've been using this to bring Blueprint back over to Mime after the scoring so I can double up on Gold cards, etc. I might try dropping my speed next time I get it just to see what stupid stuff I can do with it at .5x speed.
Wow dang. Best joker in game just got better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

Everyone is different. I have more wins with black than checkerboard.

Only a couple of red stake wins, though. I think Blue was my first and... I forget what all else. I'd been playing on white again because I kept screwing my runs up.

I feel like the game got harder as I unlocked more stuff.
I agree. The initial pool of uncommons is insane (throwback, hologram, gold mask+vampire) and baseball man starts unlocked too. All thats missing is blueprint and other blueprint and those can come pretty fast.