Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
IIRC the US navy has a program they made for rapid response to downed subs (the Russian sub that was stuck at the bottom of the ocean was a pretty solid example of when it would be needed) but I think these guys are exceeding the maximum depth most military submarines can operate so they’re hosed regardless.

RIP dudes in a metal dong, you’re now the “Green Boots” of the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

wilderthanmild posted:

This could have been solved by just not having a loving recovery platform it needs to dock with and just giving the thing it's own way to surface

Pfft silly logical person

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Pfft silly logical person

b-but Tesla's rocket can land itself

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

To be fair on the controller thing the US Navy uses 360 controllers on their subs; https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/navy-xbox-controllers-attack-submarines/

If it works and it's cheaper than some 5 billion dollar controller built by raytheon in 49 states I'm all for it.

They're using them to control the periscope not drive the entire sub.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Codependent Poster posted:

lol they're dead.

No good way to go, either. Crushed to death in an implosion, suffocated due to lack of air, or drowned.

No way they drowned. If there was *any* way for water to get into the sub, it'd be coming in with enough pressure to cause a rapid unplanned disassembly of the sub and kill them instantly.

But don't forget the wildcard option: freezing to death. It's highly doubtful they were equipped with compressed O2 in significant excess of the duration of their planned excursion; but if by some chance they did bring enough air, they certainly don't have enough electrical power to keep heat running to hold back the chill of the 2°C water they're immersed in for very long. And once the power goes out, a metal tube is going to get cold very quickly.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They should be able to survive by eating the billionaire and drinking their own urine.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They died because of stick drift

Is it A or X or B?

Nintendo has blood on their hands

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

biznatchio posted:

No way they drowned. If there was *any* way for water to get into the sub, it'd be coming in with enough pressure to cause a rapid unplanned disassembly of the sub and kill them instantly.

But don't forget the wildcard option: freezing to death. It's highly doubtful they were equipped with compressed O2 in significant excess of the duration of their planned excursion; but if by some chance they did bring enough air, they certainly don't have enough electrical power to keep heat running to hold back the chill of the 2°C water they're immersed in for very long. And once the power goes out, a metal tube is going to get cold very quickly.

Saalkin posted:

If they didn't die instantly and are instead slowly running our if air, you think they're sucking and loving the hell out of each other?

Let's create some heat baby!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

wilderthanmild posted:

My dumb theory:

They got to the correct depth fine and started scootin around the titanic as planned.
The electrical system failed, leaving them without propulsion, communication, and lights.
Because of the above they could not dock with the recovery platform thing and are kinda just stuck at the bottom of the ocean.

This could have been solved by just not having a loving recovery platform it needs to dock with and just giving the thing it's own way to surface, ideally any control of this is either directly mechanical or has some kind of redundant back up power, because not being able to surface is bad.

Even if it turns out that the pressure vessel failed, having a separate platform the vessel needs in order to surface is the dumbest poo poo ever.

While I don't know this for sure as I haven't seen any detailed specs for groversub, pretty much every other commercial submersible built has an emergency deballast system of some kind. Its normally a manual mechanical linkage that will drop the heavy main battery or other ballast weight out of the bottom, making the submarine positively buoyant causing it to rapidly rise to the surface. The advantage of these systems is that they will work without power, propulsion or electrics of any kind. Once the sub gets to the surface it should have a S/EPIRB (Radio beacon) that would point rescuers right to it, and hopefully it would have hard points to crane in on to the deck of a ship.

This sub seems very poorly designed, so who knows. I think the hull failed catastrophically. 4000m is about ~400 atmospheres of pressure, or ~5800PSI. Thats a lot of pressure

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
if they didn't die immediately i wonder if the ceo was like well i don't know how to say this folks but we're super hosed

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

All they gotta do is input the Contra code into the sub’s controller.

30 extra lives ought to buy them some time to be rescued.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Let's create some heat baby!

Nervous passenger has gastrointestinal distress? Light their farts on fire to create heat!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Water way to go

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
When I was little I wanted to build my own sub, I made drawings and fantasized about stealing a big oil tank that was nearby. I'm glad I grew of that because it is clearly the path to madness.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

someone get james cameron to film a rescue op

Imagine Elon calling James Cameron a pedo

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

what in the name of long john silver

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This is how they controlled it

Well it's cold

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Wee fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 20, 2023

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 20, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQCvtPS2fLc

Seems there are seven separate systems for surfacing the sub.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Escape Goat posted:

We're going to need another wreckage discovery sub

what if we lose that one too

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Remember that one time a goon helped make a submarine for some rich shithead who lured a reporter onto the submarine and took the submarine out on the sea and then killed the reporter on the submarine out on the sea?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

what if we lose that one too

kinda reminds me of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Shaw

diver died in a deep lake

another diver found him 10 years later and organized a dive to recover the body, then died in the process

and then a 3rd dive team went in to retrieve him, and lived

so we're going to need at least 3 of these things by my reckoning

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

biznatchio posted:

Assuming they have lithium hydroxide curtains in their survival gear, they will run out of oxygen long before they freeze (the curtains use a chemical process to effectively convert CO2 to heat, and are standard sub survival stores)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

my wife and I got a print out submariner "license" because we got in some touristy mini sub in Cozumel, Mexico.

I will use these qualifications to answer any and all questions the thread may have

if your wife is a sub how much seamen can she take on

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Commander Jebus posted:

While I don't know this for sure as I haven't seen any detailed specs for groversub, pretty much every other commercial submersible built has an emergency deballast system of some kind. Its normally a manual mechanical linkage that will drop the heavy main battery or other ballast weight out of the bottom, making the submarine positively buoyant causing it to rapidly rise to the surface. The advantage of these systems is that they will work without power, propulsion or electrics of any kind. Once the sub gets to the surface it should have a S/EPIRB (Radio beacon) that would point rescuers right to it, and hopefully it would have hard points to crane in on to the deck of a ship.

This sub seems very poorly designed, so who knows. I think the hull failed catastrophically. 4000m is about ~400 atmospheres of pressure, or ~5800PSI. Thats a lot of pressure

Thankyou for this information, but, after reading one two many Agatha Christie novels, I now read "positively buoyant" as meaning "very happy" in the old english lady sense of the word.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Why aren't you saving them right now?

clearly a pedo guy

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They died because of stick drift

they turned on autofire but the sub was designed by hideo kojima

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007

Commander Jebus posted:

Assuming they have lithium hydroxide curtains in their survival gear, they will run out of oxygen long before they freeze (the curtains use a chemical process to effectively convert CO2 to heat, and are standard sub survival stores)

That may be a big assumption. So far they have yet to show that they researched or followed any standards for operating a submarine.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there wasn't even a periscope on this thing, how you gonna even call it a submarine?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

R.L. Stine posted:

i always wanted one of those when i saw ads for it. anyway the sub was smuggling drugs to the titanic

FROM

they had the good opium

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Death By SnuSnu posted:

That may be a big assumption. So far they have yet to show that they researched or followed any standards for operating a submarine.

Very true, but I just watched that CBS news clip posted up thread and the flypaper strips the reporter who had previously done a trip was describing are the curtains.

I had a sad lol at having to roll the sub to deballast with lead pipes though. I'm assuming there was a second emergency system but maybe not.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This needs to be made into a movie called My Heart Will Go On But the Batteries Will Not"

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Commander Jebus posted:

Assuming they have survival gear,

I think this is a stretch

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Only James Cameron is allowed to visit the Titanic.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

4.3 stars, could be a lot worse

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

there wasn't even a periscope on this thing, how you gonna even call it a submarine?

Correct! If you want to get technical it's a submersible, not a submarine.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Gosh there's a word on the tip of my tongue when a sub gets crushed by pressure in 1/10th a second and like every partition converges and all space immediately gets crushed and filled with water. Like departitionication or something

Here's a crazy few paragraphs
https://www.quora.com/When-a-submar...physiologically

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Alan Smithee posted:

if your wife is a sub how much seamen can she take on

Good question, she barely puts up with me. Sometimes I feel like I get no respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bad Purchase posted:

4.3 stars, could be a lot worse

Could be Mad Catz.