Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

as a kid i had some off brand N64 controllers with an asymmetric 2 prong design instead of the classic 3 prong from nintendo. i want to say the brand was pelican.

anyway, those things held up incredibly well and still work today. not all 3rd party controls are bad.

e: or maybe it was super pad?

hmm, yeah, this looks like it
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1w7zx3/this_was_my_3rd_party_controller_of_choice_that/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

its all nice on rice posted:

Only James Cameron is allowed to visit the Titanic.

Just remembered James Cameron missed 9/11 because he was having lunch in his submarine on the deck of the titanic

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

R.L. Stine posted:

anyway the sub was smuggling drugs to the titanic Rapture

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Starlink/status/1666911689344962576

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

if only they had gone milspec

the same controller but $300,000

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-events/byford-dolphin-accident.htm

Brutal read on what happens in rapid depressurization.

quote:

The fourth diver, Truls Hellevik, suffered the grizzliest death. Hellevik was standing in front of the partially opened door to the living chamber when the pressure was released. His body was sucked out through an opening so narrow that it tore him open and ejected his internal organs onto the deck.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

https://oceangate.com/pdf/oceangate-titan-specs-lr.pdf

Wee fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 20, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Just remembered James Cameron missed 9/11 because he was having lunch in his submarine on the deck of the titanic

James Cameron "Under the Sea" remix lyrics go hard

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

Water way to go

Great choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2NJjb_QLeQ

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

imagine having a billion dollars and dying in a little submarine lmao what an idiot. you could probably raise the titanic for a billion dollars, dumb rear end.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Somehow I feel the phrase “move fast and break things” should not be applicable to the field of manned submarines.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

are we sure this wasn't sabotage by one of the passengers to undermine the noble OceanGate venture? is it possible one of them was a pedophile? i'm only asking here.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Mr. Crow posted:

someone get james cameron to film a rescue op

Titavatarnic: Pandora’s Box

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

sitchensis posted:

Somehow I feel the phrase “move fast and break things” should not be applicable to the field of manned submarines.

they should have named it Herald of Free Enterprise

EorayMel posted:

Remember that one time a goon helped make a submarine for some rich shithead

The gross and murderous goon-adjacent DIY hobo sub shithead,
who spent every waking minute secretly entertaining nasty torture & dismemberment fantasies,
and eventually acted on them,
to everyone's dismay,
wasn't rich.

Get your facts straight.

Dude lived like a hobo in a tent on top of a shed inside an unheated rat-infested hangar.
Subsisted on a diet of catfood-like liver paté on rye bread and nescafé powder coffee.

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 20, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

sitchensis posted:

have fun staying poor no subber

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

So Titanic had a baby?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It looks like an expensive group coffin with a viewport

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

QuarkJets posted:

It looks like an expensive group coffin with a viewport

You're not going to believe this

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Why?!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

When the deaths are confirmed they should make coffins shaped like the sub and have those Coffin Dance dudes from Ghana do their routine.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Is the life of a billionaire really so dull that the only that gives them a thrill is going in a death trap?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

company is called Oceangate and if it wasn't hitting you over the head hard enough they used a gamer control

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Maybe I'm soft but no one deserves to die that way, no matter how rich they are. :(

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Das Boo posted:

Maybe I'm soft but no one deserves to die that way, no matter how rich they are. :(

No one deserves to be rich enough to be in this situation, so, yeah, they kind of deserved it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the trip "only" cost $250k. that's rich people territory, but not like hoarding the same wealth as an entire nation rich.

as far as deserving to die that way, if the hull ruptured it's not a bad way to go, dead before you know it. sucks for you family who won't have anything to recover.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Anything that goes from the inside of the sub to the outside weakens it; making the sealing mechanism external only makes for a simpler and stronger hull.

Technically they could have included special stuff like emergency explosive bolts and whatnot but that costs $$$.

Edit: Honestly it sounds like the cabin was actually reasonably designed; it's the rest of the thing that's janky as hell. That said, the controller thing isn't that weird. The Navy apparently has been using XBox controller for some time. Makes sense, game companies have spent millions designing and testing the things to withstand hundreds of hours of (ab)use.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 20, 2023

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Occasionally even classification bodies get something wrong like dnv did here

https://www.ctif.org/news/explosion-norwegian-battery-hybrid-ferry-may-have-been-caused-fire-extinguishing-system

They basically never get structure approval wrong though but approval of novel methods is a long and expensive process involving lots of third party engineers, especially for something being built from exotic composites for special passenger service international voyages.

No insurance. No uninterested third party reviewing vessel safety. All lols

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
glamorous titanic ghosts sneering at the newcomer's little can

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Full of dried up crusty old seamen

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i hope orcas ruined their propulsion swam up the window then winked at them and swam off.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That guy in video who is CEO is in the sub that is missing
I respect a businessman who is willing to go down with his product.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:vince:

I wouldn't get in a loving van that looked like that, let alone drive it to the bottom of the ocean.

JerikTelorian posted:

Technically they could have included special stuff like emergency explosive bolts and whatnot but that costs $$$.

:haibrow: These guys drove their submarine with a game controller they bought from walmart. Figuring out explosive bolts is obviously wayyyyy outside their engineering talent.

250k gets you sitting on the floor, staring out a 12" bubble, huffing strangers farts, with only the risk of a gruesome lingering death. :hmmno: Rich people are so loving weird.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
The french oceanographer that’s missing, Paul-Henri Nargeolet, was a big part of that company that was salvaging artifacts from the wreck for many years. He was head of the 1987 expedition that established their salvage rights. You would think he know better than to get in a dodgy submarine.

He had a public feud with Bob Ballard that has origins in the original joint expedition that found the wreck. The french feel that they got screwed out of their share of the credit.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

JerikTelorian posted:

Anything that goes from the inside of the sub to the outside weakens it; making the sealing mechanism external only makes for a simpler and stronger hull.

Yea but at the depths it's designed to go, as long as the door opens outward it's pretty much self sealing from the external water pressure isn't it? Kinda like the other way around of an airplane plug door. Seems like it's more a matter of the big hole in the pressure vessel compromising the integrity of the whole thing which is what you need to design around, and less of there being a particular Achilles heel in part of the system.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Fornax Disaster posted:

The french oceanographer that’s missing, Paul-Henri Nargeolet, was a big part of that company that was salvaging artifacts from the wreck for many years. He was head of the 1987 expedition that established their salvage rights. You would think he know better than to get in a dodgy submarine.

He had a public feud with Bob Ballard that has origins in the original joint expedition that found the wreck. The french feel that they got screwed out of their share of the credit.

He was first on the scene for the second one

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
did they tie a rope to it or..??

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
walking past dozens of red flags to get bolted into groversub trusting it will hold up to 6000 psi of water

edit: lol this thing didnt even have an emergency beacon and they navigated via text messages

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 20, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

well it worked last few times so now it’s proven technology

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I guess another death option is that aliens got them. Or the ghosts of the Titanic. Or one of them went insane and beat the others to death with the third party controller