Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Carbon fibre hull. loving hell.

People have already made the point of between 0 and 1 atmospheres of pressure (:argh:). Cyclical stress from each dive will make defects more and more likely, and given general standards I doubt they've got any inspection regime. I'm now far more convinced that the submarine imploded.

... Not that it's going to be much better if they're on the surface; submarines are not designed for surface stability, so it's going to be hellish for those inside even in the most calm seas. Given the stress they're under, I doubt that 40 hours is accurate.

No transponder, no automatic ballast detachment, no internal release mechanism, no wired controls. This is great fodder for engineering safety lectures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'd love to see the technical drawings (if they ever existed).

The CEO is the personification of Feynman's quote about NASA management during the Challenger disaster:

"The fact that this danger did not lead to a catastrophe before is no guarantee that it will not the next time, unless it is completely understood. When playing Russian roulette the fact that the first shot got off safely is little comfort for the next."

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'm struggling to come up with an analogy for how stupid it would be to use carbon fibre for a pressure hull. Chocolate teapot, perhaps?

The primary benefits of CFRP is high strength (in tension) to weight ratio, which is pointless in a submarine because weight is never a big issue*. The one thing you never do with CFRP is put it in compression.

*Unless you're the Spanish and you build submarines that will immediately sink: https://qz.com/86988/spain-just-spent-680-million-on-a-submarine-that-cant-swim

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
No torque rating on the bolts, I assume. They could have over-tightened (unlikely) or under-tightened (very likely) the bolts. I'm guessing that they also haven't got a tightening regime, which can lead to a poor seal.