Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Google Jeb Bush posted:

at the surface? nil, unless there's, like, an oxygen bottle or something that happens to survive the implosion

e: actually i'm not sure an oxygen bottle would do the thing, it would have to be something both bouyant and minimally compressible

there'll be various miscellaneous bits on the seabed and some of them could conceivably be recognizable (like the speakers)

if this sub is as "everything we could find from the thrift shop" as it appears to have been so far, I suspect the most likely survivor is going to be the 1990s-era nokia they were texting back to home base with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
did they ever get anything nearby enough to actually go poking around the titanic itself to see if the thing got stuck on a chandelier, or has it all been surface-searching and sonaring the bottom

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jestery posted:

Everyone is being performatively worried, but no one but the immediate family cares, which while tragic for them ,they inarguably did something really stupid and are paying the price

no one but some* of the immediate family, since at least some of them are thirst posting on twitter

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chamale posted:

Something I don't quite understand is how the water rushes into the breach, rather than simply falling with gravity. Is the entire water column under a bit of tension, and then once there's an opening in the pressure vessel, that tension forces the water in?

don't make me tap the delta P video

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

You misunderstood them, I believe. The "could have saved some alive people" didn't reference the submersible but whatever other people missing at sea there were at the same time.

But then again there was never certainty that the implosion sound came from Titan until its remains were sighted. Those signals could have been something else.

Yeah, it's this. It's easy to say "yeah that noise was probably an implosion" but pretty much every sea rescue/recovery had a bunch of "we heard something! nevermind" instances, and they weren't going to give up and leave before at least confirming the pop can actually crushed itself

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

The thing is that there's nothing wrong with using a controller to move the sub, hell there's not even really anything wrong with using a third party one although I'm not sure why you would besides cheapness. The real issue with the Titan was that the remote was only wireless, so if the thing ran out of batteries mid-dive you're just hosed. I'd also imagine that on an old enough controller like the one they were using there would be noticeable input latency vs a wired controller that's probably not desirable.

if you're underwater puttering around in a trash can I doubt you need split-second hair trigger reactions, it's not like you're combat rolling your submersible away from an enemy boss squid, it's probably more like "press input, wait for the propellers to spin up, wait some more to build up to your maximum speed of a couple feet a second" (this is not saying there's not a lot of other hilarious reasons not to use this input format lol)

do you think the wireless controller was so they could foist the "hold the down button to continue descending" job off on random passengers while saying "wow look you're piloting the sub!" because otherwise the pilot would have to keep pressing the it for 8 hours straight

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sydin posted:

If sea water gets into the bolted shut from the outside submarine they've got way bigger problems than the controller shorting out.

unless they're bolting the passengers in on dry land and hauling them a day out to sea and back, there's gonna be some of that delicious salt water spray getting into places you probably don't want it if you're relying on consumer electronics for your critical equipment

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cock hero flux posted:

that or it was the standard performative "Look, everyone, I'm so sure that it's perfectly safe that I'll even use it myself(once, and then never again)" except that this one was so unsafe that even one time was too much

they brought "at least" 24 people to the titanic in this thing and the CEO was driving every 3rd time

he may as well have had a scuba mask hooked up to his own rear end, was how hard he was huffing his own farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

bet you've got something else bubbling up thinking about it (it's cum)

someone get duskdev on the phone i just had a great idea for iron lung 2