Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

biznatchio posted:

Yeah more or less. So imagine that, but 277 times more powerful.

In an extremely morbid way it's actually probably one of the few truly "painless" ways to die since death comes so swiftly and completely that your brain and nerves can't even send or receive a pain signal before they've been atomized into fine red mist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wee posted:

No one knows this for sure.

An explosive decompression at a 4km depth kills everybody on board on a timescale measured in milliseconds. If there is any window in that time for the brain to process pain and for it to be recognized by conscious thought, it is utterly brief.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reading the "medical findings" section and remembering that all that carnage was caused by a decompression from 9 atmo to 1. If the same thing happened to that sub when contact was lost it would have been a decompression of 400 to 1.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Pretty disappointed that news sites don't all have a big live timer ticking down until the air runs out tbh

NYT's needle currently trending away from "Lean Rescue" towards "Lean Dead."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Cowslips Warren posted:

At what point was the sub actually lost? Was it Sunday or Saturday? Talking with the co-worker who just doesn't understand how they can't find it because don't subs have GPS on them? Because you know the ocean is small enough that GPS is going to be accurate 🙂

The sub has 96 hours worth of oxygen for five and according to the company the sub was down to 41 hours by 1PM EST today, so if my awful math is correct that means they submerged at 6AM EST Saturday morning. Apparently they lost contact fairly quickly, like an hour or two in.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ComfyPants posted:

Billionaires learn one weird trick for getting a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

they can't keep getting away with it!!!!!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Three Olives posted:

Doesn't the military have the ocean floor pretty extensively mapped at this point? There are obvious reasons to avoid active sonar, but I feel like they probably have something like TERCOM via sonar if they really needed to.

Up until pretty recently only something like 5% of Earth's seafloor had been mapped. In 2017 an international project called Seabed 2030 launched with the goal of, shockingly, mapping the full sea floor by 2030. Most of their data apparently already existed and they just sourced it from governments/research labs/etc, anyway now we're closer to something like 20-25% mapped, which is a huge stride in just six years but still nowhere close to having the entire ocean floor mapped out. That said I have to imagine the area around the Titanic wreck is fairly extensively mapped given how much of a point of interest it is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

kalleth posted:

• Have no way to ventilate the air in the cabin at all in the event of toxins / a fire

These dudes are all dead. The loving thing exploded.

Better hope they exploded because if not the inside of that thing is a loving rear end swamp by now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hazo posted:

If this thing did catastrophically fail, aren't they pretty much searching for a sedan-sized piece of flattened scrap metal at the bottom of the ocean, meaning there's almost zero chance of, or reason to spend effort on, finding it?

It's worse: the dipshit CEO decided to make the sub out of carbon fibers because NASA but not only is this apparently a miserable material for high pressure environments, when it does fail to pressure it does so quickly, catastrophically, and shatters rather than bending or cracking. So it's entirely possible that all you could find is thousands of shattered pieces of carbon fiber, the titanium sealing ring/hatch, some early 2000's gaming and audio equipment, and some greasy pockets of red jelly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Triggs posted:

I think I saw in a news clip some retired admiral saying that the US Navy's recovery robots only go to something like 2000m and this thing is at around 3800m. So yeah, even if they find them, they won't be able to bring it/them to the surface (assuming they're intact) without attaching some sort of external ballast balloons or some other goofy poo poo. They're dead but hey, if rich people wanna be the first to do extreme touristy things like this, they can be my guest.

Apparently they roped some undersea pipe construction ships in that have some capability to get lower than 2km. It's not gonna help but I did get a cheap chuckle out of a serious news organization giving BREAKING UPDATES about how the latest and greatest hope in saving the billionaire sub was with underwater vessels that "specialize in laying pipe underseas." :quagmire:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

biznatchio posted:

🎶 All the.... small things...
Like mom's... new fling...
Crushed to.... 1D
By the... deep sea

Dad's dead... but though...
You're here... at my show...
Tweeting... Drinking...
In-her-i-ti-ing

Say it ain't so
To the wreck they go
Chamberpot is full
Breaches in the hull

Na-na na na na na-na na-na...
🎶

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Animal-Mother posted:

They're further along the tech tree, soon they'll have animal husbandry.
Hate when you get the event pop up that the sub's gonna run out of air in 10 turns and you haven't even started researching sailing yet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This thing is like the juicero of submarines

Garnering an uncomfortable amount of VC interest in my pitch to bring a whole new meaning to SaaS in Submarines as a Service, where once you bolt the customer into the submarine they have to agree to the 30% monthly subscription rate hike or they explosively decompress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ProperCoochie posted:

BTW did he apply for any PPP loans? I wonder...

lol what does your heart tell you: https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/oceangate-inc-2458707102

e: f, b

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nine-gear crow posted:

the aforementioned millionaire who built a loving submarine out of sheet metal and Xbox controllers.

They'd be alive if he'd built the sub out of Nintendium.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Redmark posted:

Huh. So if they did somehow find the submersible intact, with pressure issues would the rescuers be able to open the shell? Would it have to be towed somehow back to the surface? Does that capability even exist?

They absolutely couldn't open the sub on the sea floor or it would just explosively decompress and kill any potential survivors on board. They'd need to find a way to float it back up to the surface which is really difficult for a number of reasons, IIRC the coast guard's submarine rescue capability is only rated for 2km so even if they knew the exact position of the intact sub with confirmed survivors on the seafloor, they can't actually get down to it safely. There are research subs that are rated for that depth but even if they were powerful enough to drag a whole rear end other sub up to the surface getting any kind of winch or tow onto it would be extremely tricky since it'd all have to be done by maneuvering the rescue craft itself, since we're talking 400 atmos of pressure where it is physically impossible for human divers to operate without turning into fine red mist.

My understanding is that the "hope" for rescue is that either the sub has made it to the surface and will eventually be spotted, or was able at some point to drop the ballast and is slowly rising and by the time it is found will be high enough in elevation a more feasible rescue operation can be undertaken. If they really are just chilling on the sea floor 4km down next to the Titanic wreckage they may be well and truly hosed even if they were to be found while anybody on board was still alive.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

thehandtruck posted:

can they eat a bunch of food and have their gut turn it into farts and rise 2 the surface???

ballast is stored in the balls

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SourKraut posted:

The US Navy has capabilities that could be used to rescue the submersible, such as FDOSS, if the submersible can be properly located; FDOSS has brought equipment larger than this sub up, and from much greater depths.

It wouldn't be easy and still might not work, but it's not quite as bleak as you said.

Well that's neat on paper at least, kinda wild we have to tech winch poo poo back up from 4km under the sea.

Senor Tron posted:

Depends how well the CO2 scrubbers work. If they just run out of Oxygen yeah. If the CO2 builds up it's more like the experience of trying to breath with a plastic bag over your head.

I believe they're just using lithium hydroxide scrubbers which do work even without power if you lay them out in the environment since it's just a chemical reaction with CO2 in the air. As an added bonus the chemical process is exothermic so it might actually help them not freeze to death in a metal tube surrounded by near freezing water.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wizard Master posted:

if your first reaction to seeing this story is to focus on the fact that they could afford a $250k excursion and then post about how they deserve to die, you should touch grass but that grass should be in a mental institution.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Submarine Tours $250,000
Touching Grass $0
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. i'm dead.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Where's the nutty putty guy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh, word? I thought they had an infinite supply of oxygen left.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PhazonLink posted:

would this save air?

my non expert thought is that without an immune system keeping all the micro mass in line, the micro biome would use more ox than resting calm humans.

It'd save air but since by all accounts the Titan has no ability to vent externally the decomposing corpse smell would overwhelm the survivors pretty quickly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Wow it only used to cost 25 cents and now it's $250K??? loving inflation man.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

raggedphoto posted:

So even if they find the sub intact with the crew alive just chilling on the bottom of the ocean today what are the chances that rescuers could even get them to the surface before they run out of air?

If they're bobbing on the surface somewhere and get found it's pretty easy, just double time a ship over, secure the sub, and pop the hatch.

If they're neutrally buoyant somewhere in the ocean it's trickier but still feasible. Coast guard theoretically has a rescue capability down to 2km.

If they're actually entangled somewhere on the sea floor then things get really dicey. Supposedly the Navy has rescue capability at that depth (or more likely, tech designed for salvage operations of enemy ships/subs that sink to the sea floor after combat) but we're at the point where they'd have to get that equipment out to the spot where the sub is, get it positioned all the way down on the sea floor correctly, and then haul the sub back up within something like 12 hours.

Terraplane posted:

The temperature at their depth is about the same as inside of a refrigerator, so decomposition won't be an issue in the time frame they're dealing with. Assuming that they haven't been crushed outright, there shouldn't be any rotting corpse smells to detract from the close-quarters, open-shitter miasma.

I'd think it would depend on if the electronics were active and they had any form of heating? The chemical CO2 scrubbers they're using also give off heat, although maybe it's not enough to speed up decomp. If they really have been siting in a ~40 degree tube for days with (presumably) no blankets or anything similar then you'd also start worrying about hypothermia, right? Maybe they can pull the privacy curtain off the shitter and take turns using it as a sheet.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grey Cat posted:

It's based off the news statement "40 hours left of oxygen", so it's as close to accurate as I could get. Assuming lots of other things didn't go wrong first. Freezing, pancaking, CO2, etc etc.
E: so yeah, dead unless they're on the surface right this second, and a vehicle comes and unbolts the hatch for them to get out within that time.

The Coast Guard's official statement is that they believe oxygen would run out by 7:08 AM EST tomorrow, apparently.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pookah posted:

There are at this point, dozens of absolute WTF design choices that even a total ignoramus like me can spot, but why the HELL IS IT WHITE?
Paint it day-glo orange like a liferaft and you might actually have a chance, and it costs basically nothing extra .

We know for a fact that the CEO was proudly Elon-brained so it's probably along the same lines of thought like "yellow is ugly" and "we want it to look sleek and futuristic" that led Musk to try and change the color of all the hazard/safety signs/lines/etc from reflective yellows and reds to a dull grey in the Tesla factories.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

smoobles posted:

Did all the poo poo protruding from the sub get caught on the Titanic (FUN FACT: every protrusion from the Limiting Factor sub can be detached!)

quote:

Operational limits
The designed operational maximum dive depth of 11,000 m represents approximate full ocean depth. Test pressure of 14,000 msw provides a safety margin.[2] The vessel has been certified to a preliminary maximum diving depth of 10925 +-6.5 m by DNV, based on data from the deepest dive.[1] The vessel is commercially rated for repeated dives to full ocean depth.

Ergonomics, safety, and life support
The forward and downward view through the three ultra-wide angle acrylic viewports is unobstructed by structure or appendages, and illuminated by ten externally mounted high output LED lighting panels of 20,000 lumens each. The limited direct field of view through the ports is augmented by an array of four full ocean depth capable low-light cameras. Four high definition cameras are also provided to record missions.[2]

Maneuvering is by control joystick, touch screen and manual override.[9]

The cabin is temperature and humidity controlled, and the life support system uses carbon dioxide scrubbers and oxygen replenishment. Emergency life support is rated for 96 hours[2] All routine maintenance can be done using standard tools[2] Emergency release systems are provided for the batteries, so they can be jettisoned if they fail dangerously, and for the thrusters and manipulator arm, in case they get snagged on an obstacle which could prevent the vessel from surfacing.[2]

The differences between the Gaben sub and OceanGate's "innovative" heap of poo poo are absolutely insane.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao owned

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DONKEY SALAMI posted:

Is the $250,000 a flat rate?

From what I hear it's a rather high-pressure sale.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jaytholen/status/1671427956281864192

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

thehandtruck posted:

is there a video of someone at that depth or near that depth imploding instantly? i kinda wanna see it (no death footage though). similar to that crab getting sucked into the pipe thing, but like, an actual object or sub

It'd kinda look like this but times about 45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:vince:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Shamelessly stolen from the C-SPAM thread:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

There's no way a Logitech controller is gonna survive 400 atmos, but that rock solid mid-2000's computer speaker setup they had crammed under the floorboards might make it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a curious quirk of this situation that the O2 timer is such a hard deadline. Like, there can't be any speculation about how they maybe made it to the surface because it doesn't matter. They're bolted in from the outside and can't egress without help.

Is that a common thing for submarines?

No, the whole "stick people in an enclose space without ventilation that can only be opened from the outside" thing was identified as an engineering problem over 50 years ago in the Apollo 1 program when during testing a fire broke out in the capsule and even with the issue being immediately reported to command and workers outside immediately coming over to unseal the hatch, the entire crew died of heat and smoke inhalation. Real submarines not made by corner-cutting dipshits will usually have something like explosive bolts or other ways for the crew to egress without external support. They'll also usually have some manner of external ventilation and/or emergency masks the crew can put on to receive a positive oxygen flow if they cannot get rid of smoke/toxins/etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lol holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/Jawnxwick/status/1671752928934211587

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HonorableTB posted:

This whole submarine bullshit is a filler arc before something major happens later right? Has big time dragonball z driver's ed vibes. somethin terribles probably gonna happen later this summer lol

The sub looked kinda sus but Frieza assured me that the dive would only take five minutes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grey Cat posted:

Was Goku in this sub? is that why it's taking so many episodes to hear back from them?

"Goku that thing is obviously a death trap, I'm not letting you get into it with Gohan!"

"Oh come on Chi-Chi, it'll be fine. I thought you wanted Gohan to be a scholar, wouldn't seeing a shipwreck be an incredible educational experience? And even if we somehow died, you can just wish us back with the dragonballs!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
We've hit the coast guard's official estimate for when life support runs out. Hopefully it was just a quick and easy explosive decompression shortly after contact was lost and not days of utter agony waiting for a rescue that would never come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

You just know the first billionaire tourist ship to go to the moon is going to slam right into it because they decided a repurposed Direct TV dish would save money on the communications budget or that they brought along bathtub ring cleaning liquid instead of windex and the seals on the windows melted or some poo poo.

*points to communications array*

"I bought this from Camping World."

*pulls out wireless N64 Mad Catz controller*

"The whole Mars mission ship is controlled right here."