Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wilderthanmild posted:

Pretty sure these trips cost in the 6 figure range. I don't have a ton of sympathy for people that rich.

However they are possibly going to die in one of the more mentally terrible ways. In the dark, slowly running out of oxygen with no chance of escape. It's only slightly better than being buried alive in a casket.

The more likely scenario is that the hull of the sub was compromised and they died instantly as it violently imploded under the intense water pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Codependent Poster posted:

lol they're dead.

No good way to go, either. Crushed to death in an implosion, suffocated due to lack of air, or drowned.

No way they drowned. If there was *any* way for water to get into the sub, it'd be coming in with enough pressure to cause a rapid unplanned disassembly of the sub and kill them instantly.

But don't forget the wildcard option: freezing to death. It's highly doubtful they were equipped with compressed O2 in significant excess of the duration of their planned excursion; but if by some chance they did bring enough air, they certainly don't have enough electrical power to keep heat running to hold back the chill of the 2°C water they're immersed in for very long. And once the power goes out, a metal tube is going to get cold very quickly.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

dr_rat posted:

I mean I could do that. It's just like an elevator all you need to do is press the button for the ground floor, than when your done press the button for the top floor.

Just need to remember not to press the door open button while underwater.

Necessary job qualifications:

* At least 6,000-8,000 hours experience with a game controller
* Able to operate under pressure
* One, ideally two working fingers to press the button.
* Ability to text at 20 WPM
* Documented body compressibility ratio of at least 160:1
* High school diploma, or equivalent work experience.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I'll be having a sub sandwich for lunch today, in remembrance of the souls and the billionaires who were sandwiched within a sub when it violently imploded upon them.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Hang on a second.

Rolling the sub isn't going to do poo poo to get that emergency ballast off the hook. Because the hook itself is a free-hanging S-hook, so as the sub rolls, the hook will move in the same direction and keep the ballast attached. You'd have to roll the sub the other way to disengage the top of the S-hook from whatever its attached to; and if you're doing that then the emergency ballast still wouldn't disengage because by that point the ballast will be sitting on the body of the sub itself and the ballast's weight will no longer be providing force to rotate the S-hook.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pekinduck posted:

I think the s-hook is welded to the pipes

That appears to be true but does not fix the problem that the orientation of the top of the S-hook is such that the sub would need to be rotated ballast up to disengage that S-hook. The angle on the top of that S-hook would necessitate >90 degrees of rotation, and if you're rotating that much, the ballast itself is probably resting on the sub and no longer torquing the S-hook.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

are you saying that they've rolled the sub upside down, spraying their own piss and poo poo all over themselves

I don't see that there's any other outcome here other than the passengers spraying their own piss and poo poo all over not only themselves, but each other.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Yeah but they don't sell that down at the local ACE hardware

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

wilderthanmild posted:

What happens when the window fails? It comes rocketing in followed but crushing amounts of water?

Whoever's taking a poo poo at the time gets a 5,800 PSI powerwashing of their face.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Live video of the submersible (a pressure differential of 14.7 PSI, for reference).

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So, if I'm not messing my calculations up... roughly 1/277 of the pressure difference compared to the depth the sub dropped out of contact at, 2800m?

Yeah more or less. So imagine that, but 277 times more powerful.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

blight rhino posted:

and also lol the StepSon living his life at the Blink 182 concert about to be like a more multi-millionaire.

🎶 All the.... small things...
Like mom's... new fling...
Crushed to.... 1D
By the... deep sea

Dad's dead... but though...
You're here... at my show...
Tweeting... Drinking...
In-her-i-ti-ing

Say it ain't so
To the wreck they go
Chamberpot is full
Breaches in the hull