Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Commander Jebus posted:

While I don't know this for sure as I haven't seen any detailed specs for groversub, pretty much every other commercial submersible built has an emergency deballast system of some kind. Its normally a manual mechanical linkage that will drop the heavy main battery or other ballast weight out of the bottom, making the submarine positively buoyant causing it to rapidly rise to the surface. The advantage of these systems is that they will work without power, propulsion or electrics of any kind. Once the sub gets to the surface it should have a S/EPIRB (Radio beacon) that would point rescuers right to it, and hopefully it would have hard points to crane in on to the deck of a ship.

This sub seems very poorly designed, so who knows. I think the hull failed catastrophically. 4000m is about ~400 atmospheres of pressure, or ~5800PSI. Thats a lot of pressure

Thankyou for this information, but, after reading one two many Agatha Christie novels, I now read "positively buoyant" as meaning "very happy" in the old english lady sense of the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Look at those socks looming in the foreground. It'd take about twenty minutes for the entire sub to smell like those socks.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ComfyPants posted:

Billionaires learn one weird trick for getting a camel to pass through the eye of a needle

astonishing

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Listen, I'm sure a billionaire who worked in a country famous for using near-slave labour and a millionaire from a country famous for supplying near-slave labour had all sorts of legit reasons to hang out together

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skooma512 posted:

This is the new Fyre Festival.

Fyre, now water... what is the Air and Earth of disastrous rich guy ventures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grem posted:

I thought that you'd just get like, light headed, sleepy, and then lay down and pass out. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Conveniently, you can only lay down in the doomsub anyway.