Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

going to start a $125k submarine tour but just tell them that we’re diving and it’s just like star tours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I can’t tell if he’s 23 or 42

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why wasn't this thing tethered? I'm not saying it should have been because I'm a stupid internet commenter so what do I know, but the sub needed to go about 4km down and that doesn't seem impossibly long for a billionnaires tether.

they couldn’t find a 4km tether on amazon

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I can’t get over the fact that this wasn’t even a scam. The CEO seems to have genuinely believed that it was just fine to cut corners and say screw regulations to the point where he trusted getting on that death trap. It sounds like it was a loving miracle this didn’t happen much earlier than it did.

None of this is to imply that CEOs have any decency or functioning brain cells, just that I’d have expected the guy to be rolling around in money on a private island somewhere and laughing at the suckers dumb enough to get on that sub.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

everything they do is to protect capital anyways I don’t see how looking for a CEO is any different

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the coast guard bought all of them they have created a web of logitech controllers and are attempting to pair with the sub

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Seth Pecksniff posted:

What, they're not constantly happy they may die soon?

they’re not poor why would they be

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

so assuming they weren’t turned into paste 3 days ago, there’s no way that thing held together all this time being that deep down, right? it sounds like it was a miracle it ever made the trip once, I can’t imagine that it withstands days of that pressure

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

That DICK! posted:

one week since ya looked at me

sunk my sub in the sea and made me jelly

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Sydin posted:

lmao the replies, shitheads are really latching onto the "they died because the CEO was TOO WOKE to hire 50 year old white guys!!1!11!!" narrative aren't they?

if only the 50 year old white guy had another 50 year old white guy!!!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I bet these waivers were just written in MSWord by the CEO from some template he found online and were never reviewed by any lawyer because he's a dumbass cheapskate.

If they’re anything like the startup company I worked at then yes, absolutely.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

cock hero flux posted:

apparently it had a hull failure alarm which probably didn't work since that engineer they fired said that in testing it usually didn't actually go off until a few milliseconds before the hull actually failed

even if it did work, how much advance warning could it feasibly give?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

R.L. Stine posted:

it was the fish blasting huge loads. i'm an oceanographer and i've seen it

Not trying to be funny, not trying to get a laugh, I don't want anyone to have the worst day of their job... but

do any of these fuckers ever burst through the submarine walls and have a huge cumshot?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Closed doors? That’s a generous thing to call the poo poo curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Chamale posted:

I just read Futility: The Wreck of the Titan, and uh spoiler warning for a 125-year-old novel but it raised a legal question: In the book, the Titan hits an iceberg while the sailor on lookout was drunk, which voids the Titan's insurance policy. The only person alive to testify to this fact is the sailor himself, and he freely tells the insurance company's lawyers. When he learns that the child he rescued from the wreck will get a large inheritance if the insurance is paid out, he refuses to testify. Would this be some kind of insurance fraud?

It would be fraud, yes. This would be a lie of omission.