Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

wilderthanmild posted:

My dumb theory:

They got to the correct depth fine and started scootin around the titanic as planned.
The electrical system failed, leaving them without propulsion, communication, and lights.
Because of the above they could not dock with the recovery platform thing and are kinda just stuck at the bottom of the ocean.

This could have been solved by just not having a loving recovery platform it needs to dock with and just giving the thing it's own way to surface, ideally any control of this is either directly mechanical or has some kind of redundant back up power, because not being able to surface is bad.

Even if it turns out that the pressure vessel failed, having a separate platform the vessel needs in order to surface is the dumbest poo poo ever.

While I don't know this for sure as I haven't seen any detailed specs for groversub, pretty much every other commercial submersible built has an emergency deballast system of some kind. Its normally a manual mechanical linkage that will drop the heavy main battery or other ballast weight out of the bottom, making the submarine positively buoyant causing it to rapidly rise to the surface. The advantage of these systems is that they will work without power, propulsion or electrics of any kind. Once the sub gets to the surface it should have a S/EPIRB (Radio beacon) that would point rescuers right to it, and hopefully it would have hard points to crane in on to the deck of a ship.

This sub seems very poorly designed, so who knows. I think the hull failed catastrophically. 4000m is about ~400 atmospheres of pressure, or ~5800PSI. Thats a lot of pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

biznatchio posted:

But don't forget the wildcard option: freezing to death. It's highly doubtful they were equipped with compressed O2 in significant excess of the duration of their planned excursion; but if by some chance they did bring enough air, they certainly don't have enough electrical power to keep heat running to hold back the chill of the 2°C water they're immersed in for very long. And once the power goes out, a metal tube is going to get cold very quickly.

Assuming they have lithium hydroxide curtains in their survival gear, they will run out of oxygen long before they freeze (the curtains use a chemical process to effectively convert CO2 to heat, and are standard sub survival stores)

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Death By SnuSnu posted:

That may be a big assumption. So far they have yet to show that they researched or followed any standards for operating a submarine.

Very true, but I just watched that CBS news clip posted up thread and the flypaper strips the reporter who had previously done a trip was describing are the curtains.

I had a sad lol at having to roll the sub to deballast with lead pipes though. I'm assuming there was a second emergency system but maybe not.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

there wasn't even a periscope on this thing, how you gonna even call it a submarine?

Correct! If you want to get technical it's a submersible, not a submarine.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Even if by some miracle they manage to find the submersible intact on the ocean floor, good luck trying to recover it from there.

Also finding a bottomed out submersible of that size is very difficult even with modern side scanning sonars.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, basically their best scenario at this point is they were instantly killed when the pressure vessel failed. Every other scenario is a nightmare.

Oh for sure. For us in military subs only like less than 5 % of the world's oceans was in recoverable waters, which I didn't mind so much at the time because in any other scenario it would be quick. We had rescue stores, rations, and a USN certified docking and escape tower and I still didn't like our odds of being rescued.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Of course it's not a real toilet. THAT would require real engineering work, not to mention a lot more power and weight requirements for any kind of marine vacuum heads system. And then you'd need a water and holding tank too, because you are not drawing from or trying to eject out to the outside.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

verbal enema posted:

How much does it take to build like a modern military sub? 20 million or some poo poo? Why do they not just base a design on those? I know ultra modern military poo poo you cannot get specs for but cant you base it on some older ones that didnt gently caress up or suck and at a minimum was just a big coffin at the worst

Couple hundred million for a conventional attack sub all the way to many billions+ for a new nuclear SSBN

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I don't know if they are over the phone, I may have misunderstood what the guy said, but when he said text messages I thought phone. They may have a more sophisticated system? Or not. Does anyone know?

Edit-to be fair tho they probably did bring their phones with them

Text messaging and phone communication won't work under water. Unless they were tethered to the mothership.

Radio and Sat phone on the surface, sure, but the only way to communicate underwater that deeply is acoustically. Or the miles long ELF arrays they use to give launch commands to nuclear missile subs (probably not even that as I think it's too deep)

The battery comment is a good one though, it wouldn't take much to a small short or electrical fire to make the atmospher unbreathable within a few seconds. Do you think they have any emergency breathers? Me neither.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Also a cylindrical design for a submersible that goes that deep is a terrible decision and there is a reason why all other deep diving submersibles are spheres. It works for military subs because they are much shallower vessels comparatively.

Here's what a cool looking non grover version looks like:

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/gullwing/?dc=pro

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

it did have INS, so the operator on board would've had some idea where / how deep they were, but it lost comms with the surface. this was apparently expected and happened on a previous dive, but in that case contact was regained when they began to surface at the end of the dive.

comms ending at 1:45 doesn't necessarily mean that's when a failure occurred, though it's not a bad guess. i read something about it sending an acoustic pulse every 15 minutes, and by now i assume they've had multiple ships listening for any sign of it in a wide area and haven't heard anything. that to me is the biggest indicator that it's not simply lost, it's destroyed or completely disabled.

Fun fact, INS is fine for open ocean nav but most navies don't rely on it for dived navigation once you get closer to shore. Current Ring Laser Gyro / Fiber Optic units are orders of magnitude better than the older mechanical ones but they still drift too much to rely on as a sole positional source.

Different countries call it different things, but most dived navigation is done with an expanding oval, based around your last gps fix, and your dead reckoned position and speed. The calculation of which is based on a number of factors including your speed and time underwater between gps fixes. The sub is considered to be anywhere within that expanding oval, not necessarily where the INSs are saying you are.

INS doesn't tell you how deep you are, you've got a pressure/depth sensor for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Bad Purchase posted:

you sure INS doesn't tell you depth? do they make special ones for ocean use that aren't 3-axis? i'm a bit familiar with their use in aviation (not super versed, i've worked on software that collects that data stream from a GPS/IMU, but don't really know all the math that goes into combining them into a final result), but i know it worked in all 3 axes.

or do you just mean they would ignore the INS depth reading in oceanic use and rely on pressure instead? i could see how converting pressure to depth would be more accurate in the long run, since the IMU accumulates error from the moment you start using it. while whatever error there is in pressure to depth conversion would stay about the same the whole time.

I mean in theory INS could, but no one does because of the error accumulation with INS systems. It's far safer and more accurate to use a pressure based depth sensor. Keep in mind a RLGN system can drift 3000 yards with 30hrs of removing the GPS fix and still be "in spec" for most navies. In depth terms that's way past crush depth errors.