Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
IIRC the US navy has a program they made for rapid response to downed subs (the Russian sub that was stuck at the bottom of the ocean was a pretty solid example of when it would be needed) but I think these guys are exceeding the maximum depth most military submarines can operate so they’re hosed regardless.

RIP dudes in a metal dong, you’re now the “Green Boots” of the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Let's create some heat baby!

Nervous passenger has gastrointestinal distress? Light their farts on fire to create heat!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Honestly I don't think the "disruption" industry should apply to vehicles that transport living beings but that's just me

So I can't count on you to join me in my consumer drone-based baby transport venture? Sad!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
They'll eventually find the submersible intact with the bow buried in mud thanks to Steve Billionaire taking a heinous crab-cake-and-red-wine poo poo, throwing the sub off-balance. No amount of leaning will spare them from their watery grave.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Thanks for the update, Kyleigh. G-d bless.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
"We're disrupting the industry by ignoring safety standards that BIG GUBBERMINT puts upon us! Caveat Emptor!"

"Also if the GOVERNMENT doesn't step in to fix our mess, we'll let you all know how bad they suck!"

Jesus, you couldn't get more libertarian than that. Nothing short of filling Ron Paul's big dumb airship of contractually-purchased child slaves comes close to this.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

"Yeah I died after safely evacuating people from the burning towers, I went back in to see if there was anyone left and the drat building collapsed. How about you?"

"I died making GBS threads into a bucket in front of four other people and crying after I paid a quarter million to get into a glorified ocean coffin."

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

button mashing, ending in Brutality

How do you do a brutality against yourself?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

fine

never learned to dodge in Dark Souls

you died

But you’re right, if they did implode and turn into goo it’s a brutality of sorts

It’s just… like how?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lusty Grundles posted:

I feel like I'm supposed to be sad about this. Alas, I'm not. Not even remotely.

Neither is the rich failure step-son, so no need to worry!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Stepdad soupified, so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lusty Grundles posted:

Potentially, someone should've told Lockheed Martin there were things to bomb down there.

I don't know a huge amount about carbon fibre, but I feel like performance at extreme depths was more suited to steel or titanium?

Carbon Fiber is tough as hell for its relative weight, but its failure mode is basically "do nothing, then shatter into splinters". Planes and other poo poo that needs to be light can make good use of carbon fiber, I literally don't understand why it was used in place of better metals in this sub.

It was probably cheaper to custom make a carbon fiber tube that had a compressive strength of a given level, and they decided "eh gently caress it". It was just a poorly designed death trap from the start. :shrug: