Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/FnpMarieOH/status/1670931677013524487

:lol: Yeah, they are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

lol they're dead.

No good way to go, either. Crushed to death in an implosion, suffocated due to lack of air, or drowned.

Crushed to death would by far be the best option, it that depth if there was a structural failure they would be dead before they realize something was wrong, like, dead, dead, like literally turned into paste in a fraction of a second.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Maybe I'm soft but no one deserves to die that way, no matter how rich they are. :(

No one deserves to be rich enough to be in this situation, so, yeah, they kind of deserved it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

I’m assuming the carbon fiber is just an inner liner used like drywall. They seem to have lights that are embedded behind the carbon fiber

Why would you do this?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Why would you do this?

I just zoomed in, that is circa 2000 desktop pc speaker system with subwoofer up front, isn’t it?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

He has been credibly accused of both domestic violence and serious ethical lapses in his tech coverage, it is kind of wild how he is treated like a serious person by default.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hellotoothpaste posted:

That’s somehow more infuriating than the controller… and yes, it is loving weird to drive it with that controller because in every single video or photo I’ve seen, someone is waving it around (which makes the CBS anchor facepalm immediately). It’s loving wireless/USB, and not once will you see it actually wired.

Which, can we speak about this?

You are adding more leverage to an already lovely control point, why? The detection is already poo poo for the given degree of motion and you are adding more?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hellotoothpaste posted:

You just pissed me off even more, there are two potentially wireless keyboards and that loving controller. My 2023 Logitech wireless mouse goes from 60fps to 5fps when I turn my headphones on, this is just unbelievable. Completely infuriating that it even exists/existed, no sane person would get in there, see all that poo poo, and commit to the “mission”.

Our cats have a more modern and appropriate computing setup in our kitchen:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ralph Crammed In posted:

BBC says Hamish Harding is the billionaire, along with businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman. Don't know if those guys are billionaires.

quote:

Hamish Harding is a UAE-based British businessman, pilot, explorer, and space tourist. He is the founder of Action Group and chairman of Action Aviation, an international aircraft brokerage company with headquarters in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Yeah, gently caress this dude.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Window, toilet, Logitech gaming controller, Elon Musk...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I am genuinely trying to understand why these people were doing this...

The window is clearly useless given they located it in front of the piss and poo poo storage pot, the wreckage is already extensively documented, at best they are viewing the wreckage on some small, Best Buy on-sale medium quality displays...

They were paying to be in proximity to where a bunch of people died horribly over a century ago until it sunk to the sea floor?

Why?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1671265574783950849

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

JerikTelorian posted:

They lost contact an hour and 45 minutes into the dive on Sunday. The submersible doesn't have any onboard navigation at all, so once they were out of contact they were also off course.

Real submarines designed for underwater travel use inertial navigation systems (INS) because satnav is just not an option under even a little bit of water. Military subs can of course surface to re-align using SATNAV or stars or use towed buoys to do so from just under the surface, but there's a lot of technology not to mention crew skilled in rote navigation to make sure submarines and even surface vessels know where they are.

I think one of the most interesting military secrets that we know that exists but have no loving clue about it besides that it is certainly a capability that we have.

There is another way of communicating with subs underwater, Extremely Low Frequency radio waves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_low_frequency

However, as far as we know, the US has decommissioned our ELF facilities, which are really loving difficult to hide, so how do we communicate with our subs now? :iiam:

Either we have come up with some super secret novel way of creating EFL radio waves or we have something crazy secret like working quantum entanglement communication.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 20, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Klyith posted:

Also like the main reason for having ELF communications with subs was to stay in contact with SSBN subs that stay deep submerged for months at a time during the cold war. These days the likelihood of needing to order a revenge strike against a surprise massive first strike attack is seen as low.

Yeah, I've also read that it is extremely unlikely that VLF has improved to similar capabilities because it is a physics limit and not a technological limit.

source posted:

Nukewatch said the Navy's closure announcement, while welcome, raises more questions than it answers. The Navy said " improved technologies" and "changing requirements of today's Navy" made ELF obsolete. However, "very-low-frequency (ELF) alternatives to ELF have been around for 30 years and the 'changing requirements' refer to the end of the cold war that happened 14 years ago," LaForge said.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Doesn't the military have the ocean floor pretty extensively mapped at this point? There are obvious reasons to avoid active sonar, but I feel like they probably have something like TERCOM via sonar if they really needed to.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1671277862278643712

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

ProperCoochie posted:

Every rich is a dumbass moron and every rich kid is a psychopath.

I turned out fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Hazo posted:

If this thing did catastrophically fail, aren't they pretty much searching for a sedan-sized piece of flattened scrap metal at the bottom of the ocean, meaning there's almost zero chance of, or reason to spend effort on, finding it?

Pretty sure the pressure wave would turn the carbon fiber into like a gazillion pieces. As I understand it, the carbon fiber aspect of carbon fiber is just a binding material for the actual structure which is resin, so pretty brittle, I would think the pressure wave would just turn the resin into dust instantly, ripping the carbon fiber into a billion pieces in the process.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

At first I felt bad for the crew. Then I learned that the crew was the CEO of the company and then I could completely enjoy their demise with no lingering shame.

Wikipedia posted:

Hamish Harding (born 24 June 1964) is a UAE-based British businessman, pilot, explorer, and space tourist. He is the founder of Action Group and chairman of Action Aviation, an international aircraft brokerage company with headquarters in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

In 2017, Harding worked with Antarctic VIP tourism company, White Desert, to introduce the first regular business jet service to the Antarctic using a Gulfstream G550, landing on Wolfs Fang Runway, an ice runway.

On 9–11 July 2019, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing, Harding, along with Terry Virts, led a team of aviators that took the Guinness World Record for circumnavigation of the Earth via North and South Poles in a Gulfstream G650ER in 46 hours 40 minutes.

Seriously, gently caress THIS DUDE.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's weirdly difficult to find all that much about action group other than their (flagship) aviation division

it's practically impossible to find anything about the late Hamish Harding except his adventure and airplane stuff he advertised loving everywhere

Let me help you, people don't move their businesses to the U.E.A., particularly things like private jet brokerages to do good and legal things, that's why you can't find much stuff.

quote:

Action Group owns the property development company, Action Property Group established 2006, which invests in and develops luxury properties. An example of its work was a luxury duplex penthouse with spectacular views of Lords Cricket Ground in London which was created from an empty shell property.

London luxury property development via U.E.A, also a thing where you are definitely doing some shady as hell poo poo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why wasn't this thing tethered? I'm not saying it should have been because I'm a stupid internet commenter so what do I know, but the sub needed to go about 4km down and that doesn't seem impossibly long for a billionnaires tether.

Entanglement risk.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Are the sandbags with sharpie writing on them “26 lbs” hanging beneath the steel pipe part of the ballast? Lol

That is actually kind of normal, it's ballast, you don't spend a bunch of money on something you are planning on leaving on the sea floor so it looks nice in photos before launch.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I'm legit kind of mad that our US military is using all these resources instead of just saying "There are two billionaires on that sub, marine salvage laws apply, god speed the free market economy!"

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Further Reading posted:

The value of the trip is the story not the experience. Telling a bunch of clout obsessed vapid socialites that you saw a bunch of warships nobody heard of isn't going to be as impressive as saying you saw that one famous boat from the movie.

Me in real therapy session: I mean I think I might have some residual PTSD from the elephant attack...
Therapist: Wait, elephant attack?
Me: Oh, yeah, I was almost killed by an elephant.
Therapist: Wait, what?!
Me: *sigh*, Yes, we were on safari in Africa and elephant totaled the Land Cruiser we were in, it put over a tree and ripped the axle out.
Therapist: :stare:
Me: Yeah, it's like the third time I've almost died, the private plane we were in almost went down in the rainforest once in a storm, it was doing the "Whoop, whoop! Whoop! Whoop!, Pull up! Pull Up!
Me: And bears confronted the helicopter we were in Alaska once when we landed on the beach.
Therapist: :stare:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol: Could you imagine being a proper failson and thinking your inheritance is decades away, when you get a text from your dad saying "hey we're about to take a submarine trip to the Titanic"

Step-son, Step-father is head of a U.A.E. based business involved in brokering private jet sales and high-end London real estate, constantly making sure his entire media profile is high profile stunts...

Kid isn't getting anything, step-father was almost certainly doing a lot of shady rear end poo poo with some shady rear end people.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This thing is like the juicero of submarines

The Juicero was a staggeringly and flawlessly over-engineered product, they wish they were in a Juicero.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

If they’re alive I really hope they get rescued, because despite the levels of questionably-ironic psychopathy in this thread, I can’t wish that level of suffering on anyone.

I promise you a Pakistani billionaire and a U.A.E. expat involved in private jet and luxury London real estate brokering are like bottom rung of "anyone".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

How about the billionaire’s 19 year old kid? Subhuman by blood association?

We live in a system, in the context of Pakistani billionaires heirs...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Our cats have a more modern and appropriate computing setup in our kitchen:

Actually joking when I posed this, but I was looking at the Triton sub website and...

:lol:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Seriously though,

No billionaire deserves to die like a destitute Pakistani laborer in the U.A.E.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kiimo posted:

they're talking about inheritance

There is no inheritance, UK citizens don't operate private jet and luxury London real estate brokerages in the U.E.A. when they are doing things by the books, whatever money there was is going to evaporate among complex business deals with shady associates.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Google Jeb Bush posted:

there is a zero percent chance that his dad wasn't awful but the kid was only 19, probably wasn't himself a monster yet

so yeah, maybe Pakistani guy should have let Harding bring the weirdo instead

He is old enough to be complicit in the evil stuff that his father was doing to pay for the trip.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/mihailo____/status/1671665669769666561

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/1671929706483007497

Really makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/stonking/status/1671945151961333784