Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

I used to be a database developer, Oracle engineer if one wants to split hairs and use "terms". Tom Kyte and Don Burleson were the big Oracle voices then, one of them retired and the other went even more insane. This is about the latter.

Don Burleson had/has an Oracle consulting company which is IN NO WAY ASSOCIATED with Oracle because they want nothing to do with him. Yes, Larry Ellison's company wants nothing to do with Burleson.

So let's kick it off with a rational talk about tattoos:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code_tattoos.htm

quote:

Tattoos have a curious history

1850 - 1900 - Tattoos used to be the bastion of carnival freak shows, with people flocking to the circus to see the amazing tattooed Lady.

1900 - 1950 - Tattoos in the early 20th century indicated a Sailor or Marine. In these cases, they did not have any social stigma, except that tattoos were generally indicative of enlisted men. Few Navy or Marine officers dared to draw on their body.

1950 - 1960 - In the early 1950's, tattoos became popular with the criminal element, mostly outlaw bikers, social outcasts and the mentally ill. It was during this time tattoos took on a more ominous reputation.

1960 - 1990 - This was the age of "prison tats" where having a tattoo indicated to some people that you were a tough felon.

1990-2008 - Today we see hordes of young people drawing on themselves with free abandon, (almost 30% of people in the 1980's). These people do not understand that a tattoo may effectively prohibit them from pursuing some professional careers, regardless of their other qualifications.

Okay so uh, let's move on. How about golf? Surely golf cannot offend!

http://www.dba-oracle.com/consultant_golf_etiquette.htm

quote:

Golf customs that are intended to impede or punish the player should always be avoided. These include local golf customs such as mashies and "dick outs".

The "dick out" is a somewhat archaic golf tradition that originated on military golf courses, where any golfers whose tee shot that did not make it to the ladies tee is required to un-zip and walk to his ball exposed, ostensibly to show that he is indeed a man. In practice, if a client or a superior declares a dick-out on your tee shot, you should comply, unless of course, there are women present.

Continuing to move right along, how about standards on how folks dress themselves.

http://www.dba-oracle.com/dress_code.htm

quote:

Dress Code for Female Consultants:

I'm not trying to be a chauvinist here, but many of our client organizations have standards for professional appearance, and it's better to be safe than to be embarrassed.

Skirt Suit - No pants allowed, ever. The suit must be dark blue, gray or charcoal.

...women shouldn't wear pants, got it.

Here are some tips as to how to comport oneself if consulting in a foreign land:

http://www.dba-oracle.com/consultant_religon_culture_guidelines.htm

quote:

There are many social differences across the globe and many customs and terms with which you may not be familiar. Here are a few dining tip that come to-mind:

In England, “Spotted Dick” is a dessert, not a venereal disease

In Japan, if you are served a small smoked hunk of meat, it’s not meant to be eaten whole. (Man, they’re crunchy) It’s a smoked sparrow, and you are supposed to pick the meat off he breast with your chopsticks.

In the USA, “Rocky Mountain Oysters” are not seafood, they are beef testicles. If you have the balls, also try ordering the “Sheep Fries” or “Rooster Fries”. In the southern USA, remember the phrase “It takes guts to order chitlins”.

In the Upstate New York area, if someone approaches you asking if you want a "speedy", they are not a speed-pusher. Instead, a "Spiedie" is a delicious shish kebab.

In the U.K., if you find a large scab on your breakfast plate, it's “Black Pudding” A blood sausage, served at breakfast, and it goes great with the fired toast and fried tomatoes.

In France, be aware that an “inhabited cheese” contains living organisms.

I don't think I've posted a thread since I banned myself when lowtax was uh, being lowtax. But finding this poo poo still up a decade alter? This man deserves to be shamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

death to all nerds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im enjoying the idea of eating an entire smoked sparrow in one go

you have become a human cat animal

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Just some extremely heterosexual times on the course with da boys.

I'm a woman, so please, is it normal fun and not homoerotic in any way for guys to show each other their balls outside of like a changing room or something?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'm a woman, so please, is it normal fun and not homoerotic in any way for guys to show each other their balls outside of like a changing room or something?

in the right context, the balls can be a hilarious source of physical comedy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

who do you think picks up the phone if you dial that number, will it be Don?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
200 years ago people qouzld pay good money to see a 400 pound human with their own eyes

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

who do you think picks up the phone if you dial that number, will it be Don?

I called it before I posted, no answer. He's under s ton of fraud investigations, so he might have lost track of it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

dba-oracle.com

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oracle engineers are very far removed from humanity in general so it's practically a given they'd be incredibly weird

Case in point: OP

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Oracle engineers are very far removed from humanity in general so it's practically a given they'd be incredibly weird

Case in point: OP

I do not disagree with you

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It is but I’d have a hard time with that sort of behavior from a bunch of old men who are serious about golf and never spent any time sailing or behind bars.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ralph Crammed In posted:

No, although it's not really normal or fun inside a changing room either.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Lol this seems insanely mild compared to the hot takes we have become accustomed to

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nooner posted:

Lol this seems insanely mild compared to the hot takes we have become accustomed to

Yeah I was gonna say, "women should wear skirts" dress code is terrible but not like particularly shocking.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

im enjoying the idea of eating an entire smoked sparrow in one go

you have become a human cat animal

eating whole fried birds (as a one-bite food) is not unheard of in se asia (and probably other places)

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

uh, if I'm being served a "small smoked hunk of meat" in Japan isn't there a reasonable chance it's going to be *fish*, not a sparrow? there's some weird-rear end assumptions going on here beyond even the misogyny

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i thought dicks out was to honor the gorilla, let’s not cheapen it by putting it in golf too

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ralph Crammed In posted:

The 2005 movie Waiting is the Bible on ways to appropriately share your testicles with male colleagues

dervival posted:

uh, if I'm being served a "small smoked hunk of meat" in Japan isn't there a reasonable chance it's going to be *fish*, not a sparrow? there's some weird-rear end assumptions going on here beyond even the misogyny

The entire food list could be comfortably described as either racism, classism, or bigotry.

The tattoo one is a real :dafuq: because one - the entire history of tattooing is way loving wrong. like way wrong. Also its not like the database is judging your dress attire, dipshit. I'm always reminded of The Oatmeal when people talk about dress code

Appropriate PPE is cool and good. Dress codes are made up classist bullshit, making employees buy a uniform & maintain it (a suit) that they only wear to work.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

He’s sort of right about tattoos though, they’re really not a unique thing anymore. Maybe the opposite.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

Appropriate PPE is cool and good. Dress codes are made up classist bullshit, making employees buy a uniform & maintain it (a suit) that they only wear to work.

Nobody wears a suit to work anymore.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

funeral director showing up in jeans and a t-shirt

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Not sure what this has to do with "nerds" OP.

It's been a while since I worked in a formal setting, but people generally are expected to dress and groom in a way to match the clients being met with. These days I doubt many meetings happen in formal attire.

Also I have never heard of "dicks out" golf. :lol:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Just chilling at my office job not in a suit with my tattoos just hanging out all over the place

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we didn't claim all story points in the last sprint, the whole team is on dicks out today

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

Just chilling at my office job not in a suit with my tattoos and dick and balls just hanging out all over the place

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saalkin posted:

Just chilling at my office job not in a suit with my tattoos just hanging out all over the place

Yeah but I'd bet you're not an oracle database consultant :smugbert:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

struggling to unzip in front of my boss and all the executives on the golf course we're supposed to schmooze fingertips slipping and sliding off the handle jangling like keys knowing im losing the game and my job

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

People who have opinions loving suck

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

DickBallsAss-oracle.com

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dervival posted:

my guess is that all his food tips are from personal experience. he cronched those burd bones and ate those cow balls

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

perusing the above article and forgetting the details, then going on a golf outing at work despite being unfamiliar with golf and ending up quite embarassed shortly after you misinterpret someone saying you got a birdie

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

cumpantry posted:

struggling to unzip in front of my boss and all the executives on the golf course we're supposed to schmooze fingertips slipping and sliding off the handle jangling like keys knowing im losing the game and my job

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i had the lamb fries once and after i was done one of my friends was like “you know those were lamb testicles right” and i was like “nope but they were pretty good though” because they were, anyway that’s enough about the time i ate lamb balls

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I think he's actually saying not to do the golf course dick thing right?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Haverchuck posted:

I think he's actually saying not to do the golf course dick thing right?

He's saying it would be rude of you to initiate it, but if a client were to call a "dick out" then it would be rude not to.

a loving dork posted:

if a client or a superior declares a dick-out on your tee shot, you should comply

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Waht thbe gently caress is a ladies tee

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Waht thbe gently caress is a ladies tee

A tee shirt with more boob space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
DBAs are always looking for a reason to hang dong