Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
He-Man (lame as gently caress); Thundercats (even lamer but redeemed slightly by having the greatest banger of a opening titles ever); Dungeons & Dragons (sounded too much like hard work); E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial (I remember leaving the theatre surrounded by weeping Americans and thinking they were utterly pathetic because it was the ugliest, most tedious load of horseshit I had seen up to that point); the Commodore 64, and Amiga after (the former had the dullest, most offensively poo poo colour palette in human history, the latter had wall to wall garbage games); nearly every band or singer before 1976.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Harry Potter is the biggest one that comes to mind

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Devils Affricate posted:

Rugrats was good and clever, you just didn't understand its best parts because you were a little kid or a teenager who didn't give a poo poo.

Rugrats from 1991-1993 (or thereabouts) is really good but the revival starting in 1997 had a really noticeable drop in quality.

Devils Affricate posted:

Doug, on the other hand, was made exactly for you and you understood it perfectly and you're correct in hating it.

If the complaint is "Doug was lame and annoying" that's fine, but the last "Doug sucks" thread we had here had a ton of gross "this show is obviously the creator telling on himself that he has a personality disorder (and this is a bad thing)" so I get a bit leary when someone has an overly strong negative opinion about it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Winnie the poo poo

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
The big one was probably Teen Titans. I'm sure it was a perfectly good cartoon but superheroes just didn't interest me at all so I only ever watched a few episodes that I remember nothing about. I have seen more episodes of Teen Titans Go than I have OG Teen Titans and I think that makes me a war criminal in the fandom's view

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Ren and Stimpy, and Tom and Jerry. Nothing against them, they just never seemed to be on TV when I was a kid. I was somehow aware of them, but I've probably seen like 2 episodes of each.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Asterix

tintin

the real ghostbusters animated series

vanilla ice

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I gave it an honest try but I had a hard time getting into Basic Instinct when I was a youngin'. I just kept thinking Michael Douglas was kind of an idiot for always wanting to hang out with Sharon Stone when she was obviously a serial killer. I was like, come on dude!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
LOtR

I just can't lose myself in it, it's just boring

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Got really into all the medias. Can't really function now

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
The biggest ones for me are Star Wars and Jurassic Park. Because my folks never took me to see JP when it was in the cinema I never caught on to the dino craze and still have a lukewarm reaction to dinosaurs and dinosaur media.

Star Wars just didn't have anything that hooked me. Must've been a pretty visceral reaction because as a toddler I ruined my brothers copy of Empire Strikes Back by yanking out the tape reel from the VHS tape, so he did the same to my Thomas the Tank Engine tape. Bastard!

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Harry Potter was a big one. I read the first two books and enjoyed them enough, but I was also reading a ton of Goosebumps and Animorphs books at the same time, and those grabbed me a lot more. Never read the books beyond that point, never was interested in the movies. I tried reading the books as an adult and kept dipping out around the 3rd book, same as when I was a kid. Same with the movies as an adult; they're fine but I'm also good with never ever watching them again.

Star Wars was pretty similar. I got real hyped for Episode 1 for some reason so my whole family ended up going to the theater. Then we left and you could tell my parents loving hated it, my brother was just bored, and I was disappointed. Kids at my school kept saying episode 2 was going to be super badass and fix all the problems of episode 1, but I wasn't hearing it and just gave up on the whole franchise.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

upn aired star trek tng reruns and i bounced off that like rubber. also thought the lotr books were boring but the hobbit was fun. a whole bunch of poo poo i probably would have liked but missed out on because we didn't have cable or satellite tv until i was in high school.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Pretty much everything Disney except for the Saturday morning cartoon stuff like Gummi Bears or Ducktales. Most of the Hanna Barbera stuff too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Sentinel Red posted:

E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial (I remember leaving the theatre surrounded by weeping Americans and thinking they were utterly pathetic because it was the ugliest, most tedious load of horseshit I had seen up to that point)

I cried at ET because I was terrified of him, not because I was sad

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
music. i'm 10 and i don't even know what i like stop asking me what bands i like!!!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I remember being in like 7th grade and the band teacher asked us what was our favorite decade for music. It was something like a handful of 70s and 80s but mostly 90s (because the 2000s had not yet happened ofc) but what the gently caress kind of question is that for an 11 year old or w/e

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Re: Lord of the Rings -

I was skipping school one day and decided to hide out at the local library (long story, don't ask). Another guy from my school who was a year older than me came in and started a conversation, asking what I was reading. It was The Fellowship of the Ring. I explained as best I could and he said "It's a wonder nobody has made a film about that." It was 1998, I think.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

X-Men, specifically the animated series. The opening theme was cool and it had a pretty neat montage, but once the shows started I had no idea what the gently caress was going on and no desire to learn.

The plot in the X-Men animated series was convoluted as all gently caress, and I was also totally lost a lot of the time given that so much of the stories were long arcs. I kind of wonder how much more understandable it'd be in a rewatch now that you can just marathon the whole thing (versus catching random episodes in rerun syndication once a week).

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

The plot in the X-Men animated series was convoluted as all gently caress, and I was also totally lost a lot of the time given that so much of the stories were long arcs. I kind of wonder how much more understandable it'd be in a rewatch now that you can just marathon the whole thing (versus catching random episodes in rerun syndication once a week).

I think they were just transcribing comic book plots from the time, with the attitude towards kids not knowing 30 years of comic book Cannon of "gently caress it"

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
WWF wrestling. As far back as I can remember whenever someone would turn it on my only thought was 'how can anyone be stupid enough to like this?'

The 80s rubber wrestling figures could leave a nasty welt if you fastballed em at someone and whenever someone would break those out you know someone was gonna end up taking Andre the giant to the face.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 21, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Supreme Allah posted:

g i joe?

g i NO

I don't remember seeing the cartoon, so when I got some sort of Snow Mobile for Christmas I thought it looked cool. My dad glued it together like some kind of airfix model, so, rather than thinking my dad was hammered at 9am, I just thought GI Joe toys were dumb and didn't do anything like fire cool missiles. He even glued the little guy into his cockpit and glued the cockpit shut.

I never liked Thundercats because it felt like it was to Masters of the Universe what GoBots was to Transformers. Rock Lords somehow owned though.

This one is lame, but I couldn't enjoy gross out horny teen movies as a kid because they made me feel deeply melancholic that I'd probably never go to fun parties or talk to girls (which of course wasn't true, but what a lame rear end way to think).

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 21, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Valko posted:

Re: Lord of the Rings -

I was skipping school one day and decided to hide out at the local library (long story, don't ask). Another guy from my school who was a year older than me came in and started a conversation, asking what I was reading. It was The Fellowship of the Ring. I explained as best I could and he said "It's a wonder nobody has made a film about that." It was 1998, I think.

Was he really not aware of the 1978 film? (can't blame anyone it was weird)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If the complaint is "Doug was lame and annoying" that's fine, but the last "Doug sucks" thread we had here had a ton of gross "this show is obviously the creator telling on himself that he has a personality disorder (and this is a bad thing)" so I get a bit leary when someone has an overly strong negative opinion about it.

If you take Doug at its face value as an earnest attempt at modeling childhood experiences then yeah it would be pretty easy to conclude the creator had brain problems. Of course that's not actually the case, it's just more interested in adhering to the standard tropes and language of that specific genre of kids' TV than it is about being an authentic representation of childhood, or even being particularly interesting to children.

It's not really just Doug, either, it's pretty endemic in children's media. It got pretty bad in the 90s particularly, since by then genre conventions had gotten pretty ossified and kids' writers were heavily aping the formula of predecessors.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Another one for WWF/wrestling, but then everyone seemed to stop liking it after awhile, but now everyone seems to have grown up and gotten nostalgic and likes it again. I though Mortal Kombat was cool and everyone likes this fighting thing, so it must be cool too. Then I saw it and it was just a bunch of sweaty guys in underwear grabbing each other and looking tired.

Not saying I'm too good for that garbage, I probably would have been into this kungfu equivalent if I'd seen it as a kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGFxC5qcZEg

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Transformers. Had a couple of the toys but after working out how they transformed they never got much play. The cartoon never interested me either, even as a kid the whole concept seemed pretty dumb.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Captain Planet

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
For the absolute minimal amount of effort they put into Ninja Turtles, they've made an incredible amount of money on it over a long period of time.

Same with Transformers and Alvin and the Chipmunks. "What's something stupid and cheap we can sell to kids" and they end up making a trillion dollars.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I was a couple years too old for pokemon and harry potter but some kids I knew got way into it, making their whole lives about it throughout adolescence into adulthood. Now those things are in the fabric of our culture with theme parks, omnipresent in all media, garage sales and flea markets are full of every type of branded merchandise. Last week I saw a pokemon popcorn maker

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

EvilJoven posted:

WWF wrestling. As far back as I can remember whenever someone would turn it on my only thought was 'how can anyone be stupid enough to like this?'

The 80s rubber wrestling figures could leave a nasty welt if you fastballed em at someone and whenever someone would break those out you know someone was gonna end up taking Andre the giant to the face.

It had zero appeal for me when I was a kid because it just seemed so stupid and low brow but now that I've seen Macho Man promos as an adult and have been exposed to the rich lexicon, I actually kind of want to go back and see what I missed.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Goldeneye always felt more frustrating to play than fun

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Revins posted:

Goldeneye always felt more frustrating to play than fun

Yeah, even back then it seemed really janky and inscrutable.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Also the fact that anyone liked that beast wars show always boggled my mind, it was ugly as poo poo even back in the 90s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Revins posted:

Also the fact that anyone liked that beast wars show always boggled my mind, it was ugly as poo poo even back in the 90s

I loved it because I was just marveling at CG and options were real limited.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I could never get into RPGs when I was young. Everyone was raving about final fantasy, chrono trigger, grandia, etc. I just thought they all looked boring compared to games like resident evil and silent hill. I'm playing a lot of classic RPGs now as an adult and I appreciate their pace a lot more.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Spongebob. I was born in 84 and I always felt like I was just a year or two too old for it, but there are tons of people my age who have a lot of unironic Spongebob nostalgia. I always found it to be incredibly grating, a kind of Ren and Stimpy looking thing but not as gross or fun or mean.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Captain Planet

Looks like someone didn't have the power of Heart

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Edmund Sparkler posted:

It had zero appeal for me when I was a kid because it just seemed so stupid and low brow but now that I've seen Macho Man promos as an adult and have been exposed to the rich lexicon, I actually kind of want to go back and see what I missed.

I did not care for wrestling as a kid for similar reasons, but as a adult I had a period where I got into it when I realized a large portion of the enjoyment in it is in a camp sense where of course it's over the top and stupid and fake, but it's fun to go along with it anyway and watch the exaggerated performances. There's also still the athletics required to pull off the stunts despite being staged.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

DBZ on cartoon network. It was insanely commercial dense and would take literal weeks irl just for the characters to finish talking poo poo before one fight. I was way too ADHD for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

bossy lady posted:

I could never get into RPGs when I was young. Everyone was raving about final fantasy, chrono trigger, grandia, etc. I just thought they all looked boring compared to games like resident evil and silent hill. I'm playing a lot of classic RPGs now as an adult and I appreciate their pace a lot more.

As a kid, I found JRPGs mechanically boring. As an adult, I find Japanese storytelling laughable (with the exception of truly over-the-top wacky stuff like Kojima or Monster Hunter).

I've had my eye on the universally recommended Persona 5 for a while because I love Switch titles that I can play for dozens of hours over a few months, but I'm afraid of being disappointed by more of the same cringe exposition that passes for dialogue in so many of those games.