Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

YeahTubaMike posted:

I cried at ET because I was terrified of him, not because I was sad

yeah et was loving freaky looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

G.I. Joe. From an early age I was a pacifist and any militaristic or nationalistic poo poo turned me right off. In an era where toys were marketed along hard boy/girl lines, I didn’t like the war glorification poo poo the toy companies wanted me to like. On the other hand I loved Star Wars and any kind of sci fi space battle stuff.

I thought Masters of the Universe was dumb as hell too. But as an adult I love the aesthetic. The background paintings in She Ra kick rear end.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Kinda the opposite of this thread, but I enjoyed TMNT and Power Rangers as a kid but remember almost nothing about them. I can’t think of any reason why an adult would still like or care about them today.

There are plenty of things from that time I still love like the Wallace and Gromit shorts. They weren’t just made to be a toy commercial

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
ET, I don't think I ever got through the whole thing. It was boring as hell

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

poverty goat posted:

DBZ on cartoon network. It was insanely commercial dense and would take literal weeks irl just for the characters to finish talking poo poo before one fight. I was way too ADHD for that.

I tried to get one of my friends into dbz when it was on television, the episode I ended up showing him was from the Frieza (sp?) saga and the whole episode was the characters powering up and screaming like wrestlers for 20 minutes. My friend just laughed at me for being into that poo poo

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CaptainCourteous posted:

As an adult, I find Japanese storytelling laughable (with the exception of truly over-the-top wacky stuff like Kojima or Monster Hunter).

???

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

credburn posted:

Spongebob. I was born in 84 and I always felt like I was just a year or two too old for it, but there are tons of people my age who have a lot of unironic Spongebob nostalgia. I always found it to be incredibly grating, a kind of Ren and Stimpy looking thing but not as gross or fun or mean.

The only reason I ever started watching Spongebob was because Nickelodeon was the only channel that wasn't showing constant 9/11 news & footage on 9/11 and I was 14 and I needed a drat break. It turned out to be fun times, but then again I was born in 87.

raifield posted:

Looks like someone didn't have the power of Heart

It's true, I was a curmudgeonly child.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

It's mostly the show vs. tell failure that gets to me. I assume it's holdover from kabuki.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

CaptainCourteous posted:

It's mostly the show vs. tell failure that gets to me. I assume it's holdover from kabuki.

??????????????????????????????

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ralph Hurley posted:

G.I. Joe. From an early age I was a pacifist and any militaristic or nationalistic poo poo turned me right off. In an era where toys were marketed along hard boy/girl lines, I didn’t like the war glorification poo poo the toy companies wanted me to like. On the other hand I loved Star Wars and any kind of sci fi space battle stuff.

I thought Masters of the Universe was dumb as hell too. But as an adult I love the aesthetic. The background paintings in She Ra kick rear end.

I’m a dude who has two older sisters and one male cousin. All the rest are women.

I grew up watching Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, OG My Little Pony, Jem & the Holograms, and a whole slew of girl-oriented programming with my cousins and didn’t give a gently caress. Jem ruled and She-Ra was so much better than He-Man. She-Ra had actual plot and character growth to digest, whereas He-Man was definitely only in it for the toy line. He-Man was dumb as hell.

Those Misfits, tho :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXOiT5nBmGw

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Heath posted:

??????????????????????????????

Not giving me a lot to work with.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You are turned off by the "storytelling" of an entire nation based on JRPG plots? Do you think Japan only produces video games and anime? It's just an absolutely baffling thing to think

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

Heath posted:

You are turned off by the "storytelling" of an entire nation based on JRPG plots? Do you think Japan only produces video games and anime? It's just an absolutely baffling thing to think

I've noticed all the same conventions in their film and literature.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I'm late to the spongebob chat but...

I'm the oldest of 5. I grew up in a bar and started working there full time when I was 17. I would occasionally take trips back into the house to get things like sugar and cloves or change the channel to Sky Sports or whatever. My two youngest sisters would be watching spongebob. I never watched a full episode myself and came to my own conclusions.

I figured spongebob was a piece of cheese. Swiss cheese, might have had something to do with him wearing lederhosen. I thought his buddy, the starfish, was a giant severed tongue. I didn't even know it was set underwater.

My sisters made fun of me for this. Yeah, a perfectly cuboid sponge in pants and suspenders who lives in a hollowed out pineapple makes a LOT more sense. :rolleyes:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CaptainCourteous posted:

I've noticed all the same conventions in their film and literature.

FWIW, those are basically all translation conventions. Japanese speakers tend to use more sentence fragments and omit more words--English for example has the "implied you" in imperative sentences but Japanese can leave drat near anything implied. There are also a lot of nuances of word choice where deviation from certain social formulas can convey a lot of meaning that would not be meaningful to an English speaker. It's really loving hard to craft English lines that preserve both the meaning and the ambiguity of original Japanese lines, and a literal translation would just sound like gibberish, so translators often wind up laboriously spelling things out that would be left to the original audience to work out for themselves from context. That's what you're seeing as a show vs. tell failure.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Chalk up another one for Power Rangers. It was absolutely HUGE when it first came out, everyone got massively into it overnight, and I thought it was completely cheesy and stupid. I had already started moving on to Star Trek TNG reruns that came on right after cartoons, so the constantly recycled special effects in the Megazord and Putty Patrol battle sequences didn't impress me at all.

Years later, in my early 20s, I tried to get a buddy into Star Trek, and he retorted, "dude, how could you have ever made fun of Power Rangers?! These Starfleet clowns also wear different-colored costumes depending on their role, they've also got a robot... this is just Power Rangers with big words!" He... wasn't wrong.

I feel like I must have binge-read the first 5 Harry Potter books all in a row, or at least the first 4 and then came back for number 5... but I dropped it after number 6 and never even bothered with 7, since I couldn't remember who the vast majority of the secondary characters were, and I wasn't going to go back and read what must have been 2,000 pages of wizard bullshit by that point. I also watched the first movie in the theaters and never saw the sequels, since it really didn't feel like the movies had much to offer over the books. (I feel the same way about LOTR.) And now that the creator has made a secondary career out of aggressively legitimizing bigotry, there's absolutely no reason to ever go back, or try to get my kids into it one day.

That said, I am shocked that the Harry Potter land at Universal Studios isn't a much bigger deal. I figured that would create a ravenous following to rival the Disney annual pass holders.

CaptainCourteous
Jan 15, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

FWIW, those are basically all translation conventions.

Huge factor, for sure, though there are other qualities that raise my eyebrows. Extremely on-the-nose symbolism is the first one that comes to mind.

I think the closest I've gotten to seeing what great Japanese storytelling would look like (without the mess that translation makes) is from an authors like Ishiguro who combine a strong connection to their "home" culture with a western education.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Harry Potter. I was hardly a fiction reader as a kid, but also wizards and castles and fantasy stuff never appealed to me in the slightest (and still doesn't to this day).

Star Wars as well, but not because I didn't like the universe, it was because some weirdly obsessed neighborhood kid that lived next to me who had issues and was 1000% into starwars and just kind of ruined everything by association, especially with the constant jar jar binks impressions.Then at some point, Episode II came out and he wasn't there to ruin it, so I got kind of into that movie, ended up playing KOTOR I and II on PC and really enjoying them, then that well kind of dried up and Star Wars is back to meh.

Yu Gi Oh because the art style, monsters and show didn't appeal to me the same way pokemon did, and then I felt kind of left behind liking an "old thing" so I dropped Pokemon since everyone had moved on.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Saved By the Bell.

My cousin was really into watching it, as were a few of my friends. I still was into Saturday morning cartoons, but I was regularly watching Cheers, Roseanne and Married With Children. The in-between stuff for some reason didn't connect with me.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm still the only one to say tamagotchi. Either I'm weird or everyone is 20 years older than me.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Grey Cat posted:

I'm still the only one to say tamagotchi. Either I'm weird or everyone is 20 years older than me.

I'm 40 and I remember my buddy having one as a teenager. He told me stories about a guy in Japan commiting suicide because his tamagotchi died. No more bizarre than the modern day stories of young japanese men legally marrying holograms or nintendo characters.

e: Just looked it up and it was a 14 year old american girl.

Valko fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 22, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Valko posted:

I'm 40 and I remember my buddy having one as a teenager. He told me stories about a guy in Japan commiting suicide because his tamagotchi died. No more bizarre than the modern day stories of young japanese men legally marrying holograms or nintendo characters.

e: Just looked it up and it was a 14 year old american girl.

Well not 20 yrs older, more like 10ish. Loneliness drives people to strangeness, so I don't try to poke fun, more sad really.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i didn't think of tamagachi as popular, at least not for more than a couple weeks one year

they quickly became something you'd see for sale at flea markets

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

i didn't think of tamagachi as popular, at least not for more than a couple weeks one year

they quickly became something you'd see for sale at flea markets

Maybe regionally, but they were hot for like a year or so where I was.
From what I recall their US market height was in the early 2k's so it might have been something many here didn't see.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i remember them from the middle school years, which would put their heyday in the mid to late 90s by my reckoning

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
These are lists of goons favourite shows they still watch

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Charles Bukowski posted:

These are lists of goons favourite shows they still watch

You've inspired me to go look up Ulysses 31 and Bravestarr. Just because all I can remember is the names of those shows.

Asobu
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!
Soiled Meat
Live action shows on Nickelodeon. Drake and josh, I Carly, etc

Just give me the TOONS

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know how popular it was at the time but i really loving hated the macneil lehrer news hour as a child. i was just offended that something like that had any airtime at all. i know i wasnt the intended audience, but still.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I thought Bill Cosby's various shows were dull and unfunny. Little did I know he was putting all his effort into something else.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Asobu posted:

Just give me the TOONS

I liked some of drake and josh, very 2k, Icarly was a bit after my time, only saw it because my siblings were still in that age range.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Yeah, Tamagotchi and Giga Pets seemed like maybe they were only a couple year fad. It must have been 1997 or 1998, because I remember the only one I vaguely wanted was a Lost World: Jurassic Park baby T-rex. I definitely remember the news stories about kids treating them like real pets or whatever, but it was probably planted hype... I can't remember more than three or four kids at my school having them or taking them seriously. I eventually got a ripoff one from the dollar store and it ended up stuffed in a drawer after a few days.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I was ok with Nickelodeon's GUTS (or Global GUTS as later seasons would call it) as filler but I could never really get too into it, it was definitely "lazy sunday background Nickelodeon" like Wienerville and such.

What's interesting (not really, but can't think of a better word) is that GUTS seemed to sit right on the line between game show and sports, like if it were even one tiny bit more like TV spectator sports it would have totally lost me (mostly because I think sports on TV feels too much like news/current events rather than entertainment).

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I recall eventually souring on Tiny Toon Adventures because I felt like whoever made it had a contempt for its audience, like it was made by disgruntled animators that resented that they were stuck making "kids stuff" and they could barely conceal it at times.

I think it mostly came through when it was parodying contemporary kids' media like Ninja Turtles and Super Mario Bros. I wasn't so precious about stuff I liked that I couldn't enjoy seeing them get made fun of, I just remember there was a definitely a tinge of "you filthy brats are so stupid for liking this poo poo" and I was like geez dude.

I also remember there'd be frequent cameos of the producers (including Spielberg) often referring to themselves as "nerds" or "geeks" or some such and I remember thinking, "Wait, you guys are bigshot Hollywood players and you still have complexes about being seen as losers?"

I think Animaniacs was made by mostly the same people and I felt like that did a much better job with the self-referential, self-deprecating humor thing so maybe it was just a matter of working the kinks out of the writing, but man going by Tiny Toon Adventures by itself I felt like I was watching some middle-aged bearded guy in a Hawaiian shirt work out his emotional issues on screen.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

Asobu posted:

Just give me the TOONS

very much this except drake and josh was the only one that worked for me, but otherwise cartoon channels should show cartoons- a big reason why I basically never watched disney channel bc it seemed to be the worst offender

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Earwicker posted:

i dont know how popular it was at the time but i really loving hated the macneil lehrer news hour as a child. i was just offended that something like that had any airtime at all. i know i wasnt the intended audience, but still.

lmao

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Friends sucked.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, power rangers too. It seemed, justifiably i guess, weird and disjointed. I did get gifted a power rangers game gear game by a family member and play that a lot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I always avoided The Godfather, I thought it was way too scary and I had no idea why you'd make a movie about the mob in such a freaky manner.

And that's because I thought The Godfather and The Exorcist were the same movie.