Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I didn't like the goonies, even as a kid i thought it was dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Comic books. Just didn't care

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

disney.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't like the goonies, even as a kid i thought it was dumb as gently caress

Also not a fan.

Same with Neverending Story, ET, and others I can't think of atm.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The biggest thing I remember about E.T. was how heavy the tie-in to Reese's Pieces was, just absolutely heavy-handed marketing. They launched the things right with the movie, or maybe slightly before, and had blatant product placement in it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Kids going on an adventure was always a genre I hated

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I remember being very upset when Chip'n'Dale Rescue Rangers was replaced by Talespin, which I didn't care for at all. Same with all other superhero crap with the notable exception of Batman the animated series and the Adam West show.

The GI Joe toys were cool, but the comic and tv-series I thought to be kinda dumb, compared to Tintin and Asterix and such.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oh that's a good one: Batman the animated series. I hated the animation style, I hated how seriously it took itself

Adam West Batman does own tho

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I always avoided The Godfather, I thought it was way too scary and I had no idea why you'd make a movie about the mob in such a freaky manner.

And that's because I thought The Godfather and The Exorcist were the same movie.

I would watch the poo poo out of this movie.

I never liked any card games- Pokemon, Magic, Yugioh, whatever. I never understood why you'd play with pieces of cardboard when they make toys, guys.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Never cared for comic books at all. Just didn't connect with me on any level.

Could never really get into music period. There would be questionnaire type things asking "whats your favorite band" and I had no idea what to put so I'd say things like "the beatles" or "the beach boys" and get laughed at for it. Once I said "white zombie" thinking that would come off better but nope I got laughed at even more for that one!

Star Wars I only mildly liked which seemed like hatred compared to how the other kids felt towards it :D

Harry Potter I thought was completely awful

Pokemon I actually enjoyed the games themselves but didn't see the fuss about anything outside of that. Hated pokemon cards. Thought Magic the Gathering cards were way cooler

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Kawalimus posted:

Never cared for comic books at all. Just didn't connect with me on any level.

Could never really get into music period. There would be questionnaire type things asking "whats your favorite band" and I had no idea what to put so I'd say things like "the beatles" or "the beach boys" and get laughed at for it. Once I said "white zombie" thinking that would come off better but nope I got laughed at even more for that one!

I think I liked both these things without really knowing - I had a tendency to gatekeep myself from things. Like if I was a kid in town with my parents, the teenagers in plaid shirts and band tees reading Swamp Thing were the coolest loving thing to me, but I didn't know I could just... also do that? I think this made me a more awkward and less assured kid, because I'd do stuff like put up posters of Cindy Crawford and Manchester United and listen to Rednex when I didn't really care. I would watch late night MTV and flip through "weird" comics at the library for hours though. I think trying to fit in and not getting it made me unhappier and got me more poo poo than just doing things I liked and owning it.

Star Wars, I just wasn't in the pocket for. Didn't see it until I was about 12, which is a bit old. I liked it, even read some novels and stuff, but I think you really need to see it as a little kid and I was right in that period where original trilogy hype had died and the 90s resurgence hadn't happened yet.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 23, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Das Boo posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of this movie.

I never liked any card games- Pokemon, Magic, Yugioh, whatever. I never understood why you'd play with pieces of cardboard when they make toys, guys.

Because they have rules and systems and cool interactions while toys are just, you know, things. I was never huge on ... toys, I guess, unless they had some sort of interesting mechanics to them. And yeah I was also a weird kid in my own way. At least I loved Lego Technics?

It's otherwise hard to come up with anything here - Norway in the 80s and early 90s was a bit of a bubble, and even more so because we didn't have cable or satellite. I didn't have a chance to be uninterested in most of these things in the first place. The properties I didn't really care for would mostly be Norwegian and Swedish things ... that I've forgotten because I never paid a lot of attention to them. I'm really tempted to sit down and look at the broadcast schedule for NRK and SVT in 1993 just to refresh my memory. :)

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 23, 2023

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Battle of the Planets was the first anime-style cartoon I ever saw on TV, and I remember my brother and I just hating the poo poo out of it after trying to watch it. I think it was the art style plus the animation wasn't great. When I think about it now I just remember it giving me a headache.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Improbable Lobster posted:

Comic books. Just didn't care

:same: except for some of the video games on genesis at the time

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Drimble Wedge posted:

Battle of the Planets was the first anime-style cartoon I ever saw on TV, and I remember my brother and I just hating the poo poo out of it after trying to watch it. I think it was the art style plus the animation wasn't great. When I think about it now I just remember it giving me a headache.

Was that Shadow Raiders?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i wasn't able to get into comic books at all until i read The Maxx, which i loved. then much later i discovered Maus and Joe Sacco's work and Adrian Tomine's work and Persepolis and Dykes to Watch Out For and discovered that i actually do love comics, just not when they are about superheroes

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Graphic novels.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

James Bond movies bored me to death. I know it’s not for kids but I knew plenty of kids my age who thought Bond spy poo poo was cool and those movies were on tv a lot.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Ralph Hurley posted:

James Bond movies bored me to death. I know it’s not for kids but I knew plenty of kids my age who thought Bond spy poo poo was cool and those movies were on tv a lot.

As a kid I liked Roger Moore Bond movies because they were funny, something akin to toned-down Pink Panther movies. Which I also liked. The Seller's ones and the one right after where they are looking for him, not the godawful sequels.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve got a good one: the Police Academy movies. Were they supposed to be funny to an ‘80s kid like me? Because I thought they were dumb then. There was also a cartoon and toy line for some reason that told me, “yep, you’re supposed to like this,” but I never did.

They made so many movies and even a TV show in the late ‘90s :psyduck:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

I’ve got a good one: the Police Academy movies. Were they supposed to be funny to an ‘80s kid like me? Because I thought they were dumb then. There was also a cartoon and toy line for some reason that told me, “yep, you’re supposed to like this,” but I never did.

They made so many movies and even a TV show in the late ‘90s :psyduck:

I was the 80s kid staying up late to watch the Police Academy movies on the CBS Late Movie on my 9 inch black and white tv.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My dad was so mad at me when I chose "Mission to Moscow" as the film during our cinema trip.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Disco Pope posted:

My dad was so mad at me when I chose "Mission to Moscow" as the film during our cinema trip.

Trying to think what the cruellest cinema experience I inflicted on my mom was and it's a toss up between making her take us to see Condorman, Superman IV, or being a complete piece of poo poo tantrum brat for Star Wars and screaming to go back to the foyer to look at the cinema's giant fish tank literally 5 minutes into the film.

Nah, it's deffo Superman IV. No one deserves to suffer that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sentinel Red posted:

Trying to think what the cruellest cinema experience I inflicted on my mom was and it's a toss up between making her take us to see Condorman, Superman IV, or being a complete piece of poo poo tantrum brat for Star Wars and screaming to go back to the foyer to look at the cinema's giant fish tank literally 5 minutes into the film.

Nah, it's deffo Superman IV. No one deserves to suffer that.

My mum took me to see Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey and fell asleep. When she woke up at the end and asked me to explain the plot, she accused me of lying.