Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The counter to the popular Steel Balls + Mustangs combo (BallStank) is getting quick vulcan with scorching flames and having it sit behind your own crawlers/balls/tanks, with some marksmen/phoenix support behind to help soften the balls. With the damage tech, levels and damage items vulcans can roast balls surprisingly quickly, clean up crawlers and mustangs don't stand a chance. It takes a couple rounds to afford the vulcan but you can slow them down while placing your supporting units before you drop it and start the reversal. It won't save you if you wait to long and let your opponent get huge balls, but that's kinda true of every strategy & counter.

If you're having trouble with high tech balls in general EMP is also great, balls are much less threatening if you tase them.

Balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I hate the new missile interceptor turrets and they didn't get nerfed at all in the latest patch. Stormcallers are a massive liability now because in any protracted match someone can slap down several interceptors across the field in one round to negate them for basically the entire fight. If they don't die (and they probably won't because they just negated all of your stormcallers) then they stick around for the next round, providing extra value and letting them stack even more interceptors if they need to. As a result things that storms would normally deal with are running rampant. Big shocker they're nerfing fangs & mustangs because they've been overperforming lately.
The mustang intercept tech is fine (a little undertuned honestly) because mustangs cost 200 credits and a unit deployment, if they're intercepting they're not shooting, and if some of the squad dies they get worse at intercepting. Turrets don't have to care about any of that so they're far more oppressive to storms.

That's my dumb rant about missiles after tanking mmr.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

Q: What is in your opinion the biggest balance issue you see in the game right now? Doesn't have to be "X is overpowered", just anything you feel that is in the hardest spot to properly balance at the moment.
A: The hardest part of balance is balance for different skill levels. Certain units or tactics are stronger in lower skill levels, but weaker in higher skill levels. At certain skill levels, a big chunk of players just can't find a tool to solve some problems they are facing. Our goal is to provide as many as possible tools for players to solve every strategic puzzle. If players can find an obvious problem-solving tool for most of the situations they face, then I think we achieved a good balance state.
This is why my beloved carry Marksmen have been nerfed so much. They're pretty limited in scope (especially now post nerfs) and hard to get off the ground but in lower level matches where both players have more time to mess about and don't know the hard counters they can stack levels and become death machines that outrange everything and feel unbeatable. Carry Arcs are pretty similar as well.

Looking forward to better replay functionality but the #1 feature I want is the ability to take any board state from a game or replay and import it into practice mode to mess around with.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

There's a free weekend going on right now for anyone who is interested. Lasts for 3 more days.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Scorpions def feel a bit overturned to me right now. Like they have their counters but playing against them feels more... restrictive than other units?
I hate scorpions because they eat sledgehammers alive but otherwise don't seem super crazy right now.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

habituallyred posted:

The question I have for the audience is when to unlock tier two stuff like the Sledgehammer tanks? They are good starting stuff but I can't imagine spending to unlock them after a wave or two has passed.
Here's my rundown of all the 200 cost units in rough order of how useful they are to unlock.

Mustangs do everything and should always be bought. This is an exaggeration, but only slightly. They can serve as both chaff cleaners and chaff, and with levels/items can become disgusting damage dealers. It's very hard to find a comp that isn't improved by having 2-4+ mustang units sitting around, they're good in standard, aggro, and aggro defense.
Stormcallers aren't quite as universal as Mustangs but in any standard game where you're both playing around the towers it's very hard to go wrong with 2-4 storms. They have incredible damage output and with incendiary tech storms can melt huge waves of crawlers/fangs/mustangs before they even have a chance to draw aggro. If a unit is on the ground it doesn't want to be facing a storm.
Phoenix are the better Marksman, trading level scaling power and some range for stronger base stats and better techs, plus they don't die to storms. Charged shot is particularly good against aggro strategies with tanky rhinos/wraiths/etc.
Rhinos are big beefy walls that work well in aggro comps to either rush down towers in a group, provide a bulky body to shield your fangs/mustangs from their fangs/mustangs/vulcans, or both. They can also defend aggro, most notably as crawler blenders but suicide bomb can be incredibly strong if the opponent is too far forward.
Sledgehammers are ground generalists that are mostly notable for trading well into mustangs and not being completely shut down by storms. They can snowball with levels and techs to overwhelm a board but Scorpions being added really hurt that strat. They're especially good when you can get the mass produced card early.
Steel Balls are Rhino killers that can work as a bulky frontline chaff and can also be good at killing other big units, particularly Vulcans and Melters. Big balls die to scorpions though.
Wasps are the air version of fangs, except worse. They're mostly notable for being chaff that doesn't immediately die to vulcans or ground fire, so sometimes you can use them to distract Marksmen/Phoenix/Melters.
Hackers have barriers, long range, cheap EMP tech, and can create huge swings when stealing giants. They're pretty niche though and need a lot of support to beat anything other than similar level sledges/balls.

Basically Mustang/Storm are frequent unlocks, Phoenix/Rhino/Sledge are sometimes unlocks, Ball/Wasp/Hacker are rare unlocks. Skipping the first set of cards on round 2 so you can unlock and buy two mustangs/storms/whatever is very common (and one of the many reasons why Supply spec is so strong since they don't have to skip)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Armor teched units are somewhere down around #10 on the Big List of Crawler Counters so I wouldn't worry about it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Basically a War Factory is several Fortresses stacked on top of each other except with even better stats and techs that let them beat Melters. You need a lot of damage output to kill even a basic factory and a strong combined arms force to take down teched war factories. Putting that together when early factories are being rammed down your throat is a nightmare. It's always been viable but it wasn't getting much play so they gave it several buffs to its hp, damage and range which really made it go wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

This is shaping up to be an extremely silly patch. The free units injects a ton of money and you get wacky guessing games of "is my opponent going to pick the level 9 rhino, and if so where is it gonna go??"

I got a game with double tech expert on rounds 2 & 3 and it was a lot of fun even if it did devolve into an extremely dumb factory mirror.