Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can understand liking him if he’s on your team

the refs absolutely loved him. but maybe that is just their overall love for Boston in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

the u19 world cup continues

haha turkiye have three dudes that absolutely tower over these koreans

TUR 6'9'' Berke BUYUKTUNCEL of Tofas SC had a double double yesterday against Argentina and looks primed for another one here tonight, he's wearing number three

korea staying in it with steals and quick transition offense. their set plays aren't sharp enough to penetrate turkish paint present and end up in more distant shots that korea haven't hit quite yet.

TDepressionEarl has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Jun 25, 2023

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

the refs absolutely loved him

the ref factor was another unfortunate aspect of jordan poole's rapid decline.

they definitely looked for carry dribbles because he does like to carry, looks rad, it's illegal.

i think he can still be an all-star player on a rebuilding team if he works on (or is taken off) the dribble and makes his shots. but maybe like once. his finest moments were as spiritual sixth man starting for the load managed star.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

memphis has really good reason to be optimistic now that they have marcus smart. the dpoy field was way deeper last year so no encore, but marcus smart's overall offense improved a lot, his own shotmaking improved a little but his point play will be a treat if he can hook up ja or adams on the lob.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

upon closer inspection i am not sure turkiye u19 have a true point guard, they seem loathe to take threes, they swing their passes around and use their height advantage to move the ball in the air but they still give up a lot of turnovers, their small guys that look like guards are actually just crashing the boards really well.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Ardis SIVAS (6'0'' turkish point guard playing for Gaziantep Basketbol in Turkiye), perhaps I was too harsh. While Buyutuncel is clearly the engine for the turkish offense, Sivas does go defense to offense. the turkish game plan of playing the offensive rebound suppressing the statistical assist

Hamza MESTOGLU (6'8'' turkish forward playing for CB Ucam Murcia in Spain) makes one three and korea get dragged out of the paint, silly mistake, gotta camp in the paint when the laws allow you against the bigger team. i'm sure their coach called time to remind them of that.

Yuhyeon MOON (6'2'' south korean guard) is 4/4 from three and keeping it within a couple possessions,
Junhwi SEOK (6'3'' south korean forward) gets two steals in a row and will shoot a pair and get the ball back, it's a take foul aka "unsportsmanlike"

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Oh yeah Berke Buyuktuncel did get his double double in the third quarter some time ago. Won't have enough time for a triple double despite leading his team in assists.

Sivas finally gets his first three to go and it's timely, young turks lead by ten going into the home stretch.

Yuhyeon Moon leads scorers in the TUR-KOR match with 22.

Haesol LEE staves off garbage time with a desperate three, he's 4/8 from distance but 4/11 overall. across the board korea have had difficulty making their inside shots. the chart looks well spaced but korea are 12/23 on twos and 3/11 in the area between the paint and the arc.

Mestoglu had a nice late surge to close the game for Turkey. A neat eurostep, and some free throws for 11 off the bench. Buyuktuncel finishes the game in style, big dunk with the pass courtesy of 6'8'' forward Karahan EFEOGLU. Efeoglu only fell short of a double double by one board, games are eight minutes shorter remember.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Slovenia vs United States entering the second quarter now, these were the starters

UNITED STATES
G #4 Kylan BOSWELL (University of Arizona)
G #12 Richard Earl "Tre" JOHNSON III (Link Academy, Branson, Missouri)
F #11 Tobe AWAKA (University of Tennessee)
F #14 Asa NEWELL (Monteverde Academy, Florida)
F #5 Cody WILLIAMS (University of Colorado)

SLOVENIA
G #7 Jan VIDE (University of California, Los Angeles)
G #6 Jan ZEMLJIC (Helios Suns, Slovenia)
F #4 Arne OSOJNIK (Eastern Michigan University, Yspi)
F #12 Sergej MACURA (Saski Baskonia, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain)
C #13 Gasper KOCEVAR (Baskets Oldenburg, Germany)

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Asa Newell with a sweet chase down block

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Jan Vide kinda owns he's been getting twenty points a game since he was sixteen, I'll keep an eye out for him on the UCLA Golden Bruins next spring

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Sergej Macura SLAAAAM

America are forced to respect the Slovenian guards spacing and Macrua runs rampant wow

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Dylan HARPER (Don Bosco Prep, Ramsey, New Jersey) makes the United States first three after a 17 minute drought from far to start the game.

Slovenija ain't nothing to gently caress, with Kocevar's board to Vide out to Macura dunk in transition so quick three seconds maybe. USA call timeout trailing by ten with two left in the first half.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Eric DAILEY JR (6'6'' forward out of Oklahoma State) dunks and leads American scorers so far with 8.

Kocevar draws a foul from Harper, he misses both shots and Dailey collects the rebound. Dailey plays the screen and drives but can't get his tenth.

Halftime
SLO 40
USA 33

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Awaka is solid, board man gets paid.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Vukasin TODOROVIC (6'9'' forward for Cedevita Olimpija, Ljubljana, Slovenia) with big impact off the bench. collects a long bounce offensive board, drives it to score, making free throws too.

Oooh and to end the half Todorovic draws a shooting foul from Awaka on a shot clock forced three. He makes two of three. After more free throws from the US, the Slovenian lead is back up to nine.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Dylan Harper, son of Ron, is going to be a beast. 6'4 guard, decent stroke and can drive at will. He does have weird release on his shot though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

marcus smart was the most fun celtic to watch. i would have rather they traded anyone else lol

He was also my favorite celtics player, as a fan of whatever team may be playing against the Celtics

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Sergej Macura closing in on twenty points he leads scorers. He fouls Tre Johnson though. Only five fouls so Osojnik and Ian Jackson are on their last.

Sweeet spin by Dylan Harper game closing up

Ven-Allen LUBIN (6'8' forward' out of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee) plastered Jan Vide and ties the game

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

euphronius posted:

I can understand liking him if he’s on your team

the refs absolutely loved him. but maybe that is just their overall love for Boston in general

Btw, anyone know who won the championship this year?

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

they're playin basketbalkan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have retired some of those opinions in the other thread because they were so correct, that it bored me to talk about them anymore

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

US lead by a single point with four to go, Tre Johnson can't get his three to go,

Jan VIde out runs, enters along the left side post into the paint and layup. I am really impressed by Jan Vide.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Boswell finally getting some buckets, Vide roars back the other way and with two minutes to go, the score in knotted at 71.

United States call time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

San Antonio is +25000 to win the title if I’m reading this right

maybe I should make a sports wager

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Awaka just bullied some dude

I love the FIBA website boxscore layouts but I miss the rewind ten seconds button

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

AWAKA AND ERIC

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Les Os posted:

Victor Wembanyama gonna take us places

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

America lead by four now and send Macura to the line. Eric Dailey Jr was springy on that last putback.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

if you can afford to lose it, yeah that does seem like they aren't giving Victor a fair shake.

What are the Spurs to win the conference? that seems like a sensible middle ground

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

that was a weird double leap into the sidelines deal where they both try to throw it off each other

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

oooh a choke by Jan Vide, with the shot clock off and down three, Slovenia can't keep the ball on the inbound. Forced to foul chaos in transition

Tre Johnson makes both to put the US up five. That oughta do it with three seconds left, Slovenia will call a timeout to advance the ball but it is a formality. United States come back from down double digits to take it back in the fourth quarter. Both teams shot like poo poo from three, but Slovenia sagged and stumbled while Dailey, Boswell, and Awaka went inside.

Tobe Awaka finishes with a 14/11 double double, definitely today's man of the match over formidable Sergei Marcura who was 19/5/2, and Jan Vide who was 17/3/5

Final
SLO 72
USA 77

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

talking about odds unnerves me because the point of odds is to entice

the odds teeter and totter enticing ever more people on to the see saw, for the bookie it only needs to balance by the end of the year

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

The Hungary Argentina game was incredibly close as well, worth a watch.

That's it for today, there's one more group stage game day after tomorrow.

Spain could be the strongest team in the tourney, they dismantled France before the third quarter ended but I didn't pay much attention to that game.

Teams with two wins are: Spain, USA, Serbia, Turkiye, and Hungary. TUR-HUN face off for the top of their group. Expect a raucous home arena against rivals.

Top two in each group go on, losers stay in town and play in a losers bracket because we flew these prospects to Europe, can't afford to only play three games.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

you should probably make those posts in the sports subforum

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

tristeham posted:

you should probably make those posts in the sports subforum

stewie griffin

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

euphronius posted:

Honestly healthy Devin Vassell/Tre Jones/Keldon Johnson are good support guys for Vic but I think the sleeper team this year is the Thunder

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

okc will be giving tons of minutes to Chet holmgren so I’d be surprised if they win 35 games

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

San Antonio will destroy whatever records randos did this year.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess hopmgren may be good

he has tremendously bad vibes coming off him tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

okc will be giving tons of minutes to Chet holmgren so I’d be surprised if they win 35 games

Unless he's spent his rehab time bulking up, he better hope they don't ask him to play a ton of minutes. That isn't a frame made for an 82 game grind.