Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Slomo rules and I hope he brings glory to the Chinese team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

you mean the kind that al hordford had?

Nobody wants to be associated with the loser stink of those Hawks teams (except Boston, the stinkiest poop team to ever fall out a butt)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

westbrick for hardon, straight up

Salaries don't work. Westbrook and Kawhi, not like he'll play on the yoffs neway

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

what in the world?

i get that' he's trying to do a touch pass there but it looks its the first time he's ever attempted such a thing

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Pohl posted:

He is so loving good and I could never figure out why the Warriors didn't keep him on their roster

Objectively the hottest NBA baller he probably made the room full of good Christian boys feel uncomfortable every time he cast his eyes around the locker room

Ayesha Curry would be making so many cooking shows if he had stayed around

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

[tears in my eyes, pointing a gun at his head] tell me about the strippers, James

Horrifying implications for what Jimbo does at the strip club

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

It's crazy how the Minnesota timberwolves are the best team in the league and everyone is just waiting for them to roll over their dirt basketball playing rear end

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Joel Embiid appears to be a child who is rocketed into the stands by Aaron Nesmith standing in his way. Too small. Too weak.

Send him to Houston... Blasting off again...

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Poppers posted:

The warriors lost lol? Tf happened I turned that poo poo off after q3

Draymond, Klay, and Wiggins are all extremely washed

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

In Training posted:

I've been calling it the Fail Star Break.

Rudy Gobert is the only real center in basketball and he's not in the game so it's definitely fail

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

The Kings are getting harder and harder for me to watch.

- Worst free throw shooting team in the league
- Worst close-out team on threes in the league (they allow nearly 40% shooting)
- Bizarre lineup decisions by Mike Brown where multiple guys who cannot shoot with a gun to their head are on the court

They're always gonna struggle a bit on defense with the starters, and with Barnes regressing a bunch the offense isn't firing on all cylinders like last year.

Mike Brown also has the coach of the year curse, sorry

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

this question is mainly to fart Simpson since he's the only one I know posting from an Exotic Foreign Location, but I'd appreciate input from anyone who lives not in the US or Canada. just a bunch of basketball-related stuff I suddenly found myself wondering about :

• overall, what are the most popular young players?
  • how do people feel about the Main Guys, eg LeBron, KD, Curry, Giannis, Jokic, etc, or are none of those guys really popular besides LeBron?
  • is there much of an awareness about non-basketball stuff, like Kyrie's Hitler stuff or what Ja Morant was in trouble for? or Jarsh Giddey? does that impact their perception/fandom?
  • is there a team that's surprisingly popular where you live or with the country in general? like do people in Shenzen really gently caress with the Pacers for some obscure reason?
  • is there any NCAA presence in the media? any local prospects traveling to the US for school?

thank you and may peace be upon you

I'm located in Asia and spend a lot of time in China, Philippines and Singapore - so I'll speak broadly but be specific where it applies. One big thing to note is that if people are particularly online and in HK, Singapore or the Philippines, they basically are just r/nba posters in terms of opinions.

Popular young players - Ja, Kuminga, Tatum, Luka, Donovan Mitchell, Scottie Barnes and distantly behind them all Lamelo. You'll notice One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other, and that's because there's a huge amount of Warriors fans in recent years

Main Guys - Curry is a god. KD, Dame, Kyrie, Embiid are all pretty popular. Giannis is liked but you don't really hear him mentioned unless he does something cool. Jokic was borderline hated until he got his ring and now its like... grudging respect. Lebron I've left to the end because he's extremely divisive, with some people still not over The Decision and feeling like he's a mercenary or really whiny. In Hong Kong, particularly, they hate him because of his comments during the whole row where Morey said some critical stuff about China.

Non-basketball stuff - There's some awareness, but the things people care about are different - if they care at all. Kyrie - for example - hasn't had much of an impact to popularity and the awareness of his actions is like "Flat earth and being weird". On the other hand people know a bunch about Klay's time in Asia, and particularly for Chinese / HK fans this is a big plus (I know that this isn't controversial, but it's definitely something I hear a lot more about here than in US circles)

Surprising popularity - The Warriors are by far the #1 choice. Some Hong Kongers pretend its a cultural ties thing, but before they started winning most of the fans I knew here were Raptors fans (lots of people who spent time growing up or in school in Canada). The real surprise is Dallas Mavericks in the Philippines. They are pretty huge, Luka is pretty huge, and I can't figure it out beyond like... They like cowboy stuff?

NCAA - Absolutely not. There's a few die hards who get into March Madness but usually they have spent time in US university. For prospects, well there's just a limited amount of prospects from the region generally - outside China. In China, they play in the CBA and despite that league growing pretty well the ability to produce talent still kinda sucks for whatever reason. In the Philippines they have the PBA which RULES, I cannot tell you how much I enjoy PBA games. However, the talent level is even lower than the CBA and some of that is straight up physical since there's a lot of Chris Paul sized dudes.

A personal NBA story about my weirdest international NBA fan encounter: Was in Beijing taking a taxi one time and just idly chit chatting with the driver, and he asked if I like basketball. I said yeah, and was expecting him to start talking about Kyrie or Curry or Harden or even Kobe, but he instantly comes back with "Do you like Allen Iverson?" We get to talking and I start referencing some modern stars at the time (~2018-19) and he has no clue who I'm on about. He then asks me if I like Eric Snow. So I keep digging into this and ask how he got into the NBA and he apparently got sent VHS tapes from an uncle in Philly when he was growing up, and many of them were early 2000s era 76ers games. He loves basketball but the vast vast majority of NBA content he's consumed is these VHS tapes, so he's like a weird 6ers super homer frozen in the early 2000s.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

great post overall thank you and I especially love the Iverson-era Sixers fan. I feel like that singular cab ride had the majority of the times Eric Snow has been discussed on the entire continent

He's my favorite cab driver ever, wish I would've gotten his number to talk more early aughts ball.

Second favorite cab driver is the dude who had rigged up a tape deck to the taxi sound system and would blast cassettes (mostly Michael Jackson and Scorpion) and sing along in vaguely matching phonetic English. That guy I did get the number of and would call him whenever I needed a cab ride back from the bar areas to my apartment a couple districts over. He was a Kobe fan :barf:

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

140-88, the ultimate Celtics win...

unbelievable how yt Supermancy (Celtics fandom) has infected these forums

do better CSPAM

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

maybe he was pissing and moaning too much and the refs just aren't in the mood

I also wasn't able to watch but typically when KAT is pressured to be the #1 option or by a bully big he'll meltdown and take a bunch of lovely fouls or piss off the refs begging for a whistle

With ANT out, I imagine that's exactly what happened

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

it wasnt really a bad loss

Quality Loss, Pythagorean Win

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

like, this is the first year since 2008 that the celtics are the "best" regular season team

you don't want to be the best anyway, big loser energy. not since KD Warriors has that team won. maybe it's time for a scheduled injury or two to get your team some scrap, grit, and "they didn't believe in us" mentality?

worked for PATRICK MAHOMES of the KAN CHIEFS, who has won two consecutive league championships on the back of "Nobody thought we could win."

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1770656686337876361

It is Biden's destiny to be up in at least three essential swing states before the election and lose

So I'm guessing that this means Thibs will take out the Celtics for Doc and then he'll barely squeak out a 7 game series win over the Clippers after Kawhi gets COVID

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

Lakers averaging almost 33 free throws the past five games. Come on Silver this poo poo is embarrassing

I think people should stop fouling them.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Azathoth posted:

He did walk it back once it became clear Bronny was gonna get drafted on his own. When he said that Bronny was a marginal second round pick but now it looks like he's gonna be a first rounder assuming there's not ongoing complications from his heart issue.

The evolution of draft people's opinions on Bronny is very weird to me. There's been players before where the "His game will look better in the pros than college" was used as a line of thinking, but I don't think any of them looked as bad as Bronny does.

He'll probably be a good defender - though not as valuable since he's not gonna be able to guard as many 3s - but I really don't get what people think in his offensive game somehow translate better at the pro level

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Azathoth posted:

I can kind of understand. The children of pro athletes have an advantage in that they're not going to be blindsided by the demands of the NBA. A lot of talented players wash out quickly because for the first time in their lives they're not the big man on campus. Less of a concern with someone like Bronny.

He does need to go back for at least one more season to try to learn to shoot but he's already got the defensive chops to play in the NBA. If he came out this season, he'd be a solid pick in the back half of the first round even without the possibility of picking up his dad for league minimum for a season. Plenty of athletic guys who can't shoot get drafted there every year.

Yeah he's gonna get infinite chances like Austin Rivers. I've only watched like 30 minutes of Bronny and I guess his shot isn't completely busted, but I'm always wary of the dude with a good looking shot who cannot score.

On an unrelated note I wish Lonzo Ball didn't have his legs fall off

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Poppers posted:

Shaq is the greatest offensive center. What lol?

It's a bit early in his career but he has some insane outlier abilities beyond his passing. He's not the unstoppable bully under the rim Shaq was, but his short floater game is potentially the best ever.

He's just kinda unorthodox and it's hard to compare him to even contemporaries like Embiid.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

is wemby already in the conversation for greatest defensive center of all time??

Yes, no question.

fart simpson posted:

sga is the best offensive guard of all time

Yes, but specifically for the soft and weak foul baiting era he plays in -- which Wemby will bring an end to

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Poppers posted:

What guards get 14 boards a night dude. This thread is unbelievably wack as of late lol

Positionless basketball has rotted brains and now everyone can be anything no matter what.

Wemby lacks certain attributes that prevent him from inhabiting the platonic form of CENTER and thus he is a GUARD no matter how much he boards, blocks, or defends the paint

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

nope. even a 60% free throw shooter is more efficient from the line than basically anywhere else

Handouts for fail players FREE throws?

Take it from their salary

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

i think people have developed a complex where they think anything that's good and brings any kind of joy is reddit now

Very Reddit post

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

TenementFunster posted:

i can't think of anything less reddit

Racist Europeans and MIC war wankers do seem filled with joy

NBA circle jerk can seem joyful when they're posting AI generated songs about Kobe crashing helicopters

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

lmao, get ready to learn Chinese Klay Thompson

https://twitter.com/Reactions_vids/status/1725530853529309252

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Yossarian-22 posted:

We're in a golden age of guards and centers. The curtains are closing on the vaunted forwards

Cooper Flagg will save us (do not look up things he likes)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

white kid who declared early for Duke. I think we have a decent idea

Lifelong Celtics, Duke, and Christian Laettner fan. Thinks Larry Bird is the GOAT.

I'm expecting Hayward 2.0 - we're gonna hear about Cooper picking up his girlfriend from high school

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

fart simpson posted:

adebayo leaned his shoulder into whites face at the last second lol. it’s a textbook illegal screen

playoffs baby, gotta be tougher than this

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

the buzzer beater is immortal but Lebron breaking a dude's ankles, spotting up, and missing will be burnt into my retinas

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

In Training posted:

LeFraud is washed. Maybe it's time we reassess his entire career tbh.

Top 3 NBA players all time:
1 Victor Wemby
2 Jamal Murray
3 White Donte

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Anyway, Lebron's fine. Not excited to know his opinion about the Columbia protests though.

Hmmm you have to balance this with him probably hating David Blatt, Israeli Basketball Messiah

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Chronicles posted:

thanks to the milwaukee sucks for following up their championship season with an even worse nosedive than the lakers

And with Dame out they are definitely getting another year of Doc to get older, shittier, and hopefully to make the second round and blow a 3-1 lead

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

SWEEP awoooo

incredible ant performance and strong kat to hold things down with rudy mired in foul trouble

byyyeeeee devin

didn't get to watch a minute of the game but was feverishly checking my phone under the desk during morning meetings

can't believe the Wolves swept the Suns after having so much trouble, hope this bodes well for RD2.

going to be torn on R2 because I feel like the Nuggets are a better matchup for the Celtics but I also want the Wolves to succeed. May the playoffs gods bless us with a Celtics humiliation regardless

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

indigi posted:

if Kawhi played like ~15% more games in his career, or given his postseason performance even just 15 more playoff games, I think he'd be talked about as a top 10-15 all time player. he's so good, especially in the playoffs, but despite winning two finals/finals MVP my main impression of him is that he's a letdown

yeah around his time in TOR and first season in LA he was seen as potentially the best player in the league, but the inability to stay on the floor ESPECIALLY in the playoffs has really hurt his legacy

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

anthony edwards gets a big Jokerfied grin when he sees Durant mentally accept defeat in that last game. I loved it.

he's the real deal, i bet he slicks back his hair and has a shirt with cool patterns.

Ant is the best star you can ask for: preternaturally talented and super into it on the court but a friendly rear end dude off court.

he's basically got the pre-2023 reputation of a Kelce brother in that he's a big ol golden retriever - and it's a very enjoyable archetype to root for after having Xanax Wiggins and Sad Boi KAT (Ant is even making KAT a happy dude!)

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Wow, can't believe you want trump to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

naz reid