Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Jon Irenicus posted:

the Spurs have been bad for three seasons so they contractually must get another generational talent and a championship win

Which unregarded active journeyman will appear in the second row as the final Pop reclamation during Wemby's coronation? I'm calling Luwawu-Cabarrot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

President Diaw

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

I love how the Celtics double down on oft injured players who are always 100% healthy when they play the sixers in the playoffs

Boston can afford to carry that when their core scorers aren't the ones oft injured. High risk high upside is great for players you weren't originally planning on starting anyway.

Yossarian-22 posted:

We'll never hear the end of BS saying that Boston will win 70 games now

I thought this was a move that will reduce their regular season effectiveness and increase their postseason effectiveness, getting bigger to double on potential late round match-ups like Giannis, Joel, Nikola, or LeBron.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Yossarian-22 posted:

Are you sure about that

The Warriors have overpaid but they overpaid every step of the way on Poole, and only after the fact, after he helped win a ring. Won't miss the turnovers but those half-court shots were just perfect: stole the cheers right out from hostile throats at the road arenas, killed them when it wasn't Curry killing them.

I didn't think the Poole contract was bad because Poole was bad, but because it was paying penalty damages from mild workplace violence but under a salary cap. Now a salary cap that just got hard spikes installed on it. Shedding $68M of obligations to Poole in the two seasons starting in 2025 ending in 2027 is the correct thing to do.

The move improves the likelihood Draymond returns maybe slightly? In the short term, swapping a young shooting guard for an old point guard is correct because without Draymond Green the Warriors simply didn't have a proven dribbler or playmaker to back-up Curry. I was open to ramping up Wiggins and DiVincenzo's usage but that may be irresponsibly experimental.

hifi posted:

He can stand there at the elbow like draymond did and hit cutters or open guys but he might also shoot the ball. It might be a disaster if they try and have him run around off ball like curry does.

The spacing will be really nice if Paul is healthy and Warriors can afford to run small. Two major ifs. Paul isn't an All-Star shooter anymore but Draymond Green was startlingly close to fumbling the 2022 Finals because Green isn't a point guard, his threes were terrible.

ClassActionFursuit posted:

if they're going to win moving forward they're going to need some other offensive threat (and at the risk of sounding like Euph, probably a big who can generate points in the paint).

Looney is a perfect everyday big but say against the Lakers and the Nuggets, the Warriors are still ridiculously small. Centers also don't generally repeat 80 game seasons do they? Draymond testing the market leaves another depth chart hole at back-up center.

I admit I wanted Kristaps Porzingis on the Warriors. Got a Durant sized hole in my heart.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

thinking about it maybe Green is gone

how can he and Paul coexist ??

very carefully :fourballs:

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

exercise of ego to have left.

I can't bad mouth KD because it was an exercise of ego to join GSW in the first place. Having the temerity to claim you are among the greatest of all time is a right he's earned. His defense became so much more focused, gave everything for that three-peat try in Toronto. Lost to Giannis by a toe the year before, lost to the Jokic for lack of a point guard. (though I was impressed with Suns presumptive starting PG Cameron Payne in that blowout Game 6, second parenthetical I wonder if Warriors can find anybody like Jock Landale)

What was I saying? Oh yeah, I love and respect KD. If GSW crumbles due to poor health, PHX with Book and Beal are a compelling bandwagon. KD thinks that too much love isn't good for a competitor and in some ways I agree. I personally hope he can lead the expansion SuperSonics squad in six years when he's forty and gets that feeling he had of being the local hero again, but I don't think he even wants that. He's more like KG, intense and never willing to settle

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

TDepressionEarl posted:

(second parenthetical I wonder if Warriors can find anybody like Jock Landale)

post script Drew Timme and Oscar Tshiebwe didn't get drafted? gotta figure out the Draymond Green situation first but hmm

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

you're saying he doesn't care about rings and winning but instead wants to have to work harder in a losing effort every year?

haha no absolutely not. i think it eats him up inside like you said: the draymond "we were winning without you," thing is real, green knows kevin hates that and it's true.

I think what he wants is to be thought of in the conversation alongside LeBron and Jordan and talent-wise he's right there with them but he's got such an obvious thirst for it that he'll never be thought of that way and it eats at him.

absolutely, but I refuse to say never, in this case. He will need to keep balling until he is late-thirty-forty to be thought of that way.

KD absolutely wants to be on a team that wasn't winning before, and is winning because of him. Jordan proved that by swinging around Birmingham. LeBron heard the same criticism KD gets now, in the period after the Heatles and before the 3-1 Cavs chasedown. If in that in-between period, LeBron had suffered a serious injury that had required two years to repair, or if Kyrie had decided not to play, how would LeBron would be considered if it took him six instead of three years to win his next championship? Obviously winning more championships is flatly better than winning less, obviously there are a million players who say, "if I hadn't gotten hurt."

I try not to argue because I know I'm bad at it. I know the GOAT lists and legacy questions are old: The Conversation is like spam, long shelf life and a staple of last resort. I love thinking about it though, guilty pleasures.

forever collecting rings every year

This is where I will say never. Every year is a pipe dream. The Red Auerbach Celts won before Bill Russell, in a league with 10 teams and three playoff rounds where only the Finals were best-of-7, and continued to win every year for the decade with Bill Russell, in a league that only just finally expanded during his last three years as coach, and only just made their first round playoffs best-of-7.

If it were possible to build a ten year superteam in the post-merger era, that team would need that 20 rebounds every day guy and a speedy two-way guard like Magic that looms exactly as large as the board man, both healthy throughout. That team would need ten role players that play like all-stars but aren't paid like all-stars, and when they do get paid by someone else you need to find more. Post-merger I think that is impossible, you could do that for five years in a row, or five out of ten years, but never ten out of ten ever again. Institutionally even, the league takes steps to break up that monopoly and I think that's a good thing.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Yossarian-22 posted:

Oh right they're saving money on the gargantuan CP3 contract lmao

lol i know. this felt like the Warriors last year as norcal leaders. the Kings just look superior in every way now.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

fart simpson posted:

i got to the last paragraph before i realized this was about kd and not about jordan poole

poole wishes. i call andrew wiggins "maple jordan" more often than i refer to poole by his first name.

i wish the young man would prove me wrong, i love the gilbert arenas, jeremy lin guys that prove the bastards wrong, the rakes in the "lightyears ahead administration" need that bitter medicine. but neither lin nor arenas were ever close to winning a ring.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

if poole thinks hes better than Chris Paul when he's wearing Steph's forty in the finals ring, that is splash brothers syndrome.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

playoff performance is overrated and the way we consume the game is trash

and you better believe i'm gonna keep drinking that garbage

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the fire engine had a thin red line flag affixed to the tail end

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

The Under-19 FIBA World Cup hosted in Hungary, is live and free on youtube

Egypt vs Japan on right now, with more games scheduled throughout the day.

United States are in a group with Madagascar, Lebanon, and Slovenia. USA skunked Madagascar 136–69, and will face Slovenia in eight hours.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

just gonna note some of the kids that look decent today and edit more in as i go

JPN 6'8'' SG #4 Tajon Akira JACOBS (NBA Global Academy Australia)
JPN 6'7'' PF #14 Yuto KAWASHIMA (NBA Global Academy Australia)
EGY 6'8'' PF #7 Belal ELSHAKERY (Gezira Sporting Club, Egypt)
EGY 6'4'' SF #8 Ibrahim ZAHRAN (Al Ahly Sporting Club, Egypt)
SRB 6'8'' PF #17 Lazar DJOKOVIC (Crvena Zvezda MTS, Serbia)
SRB 6'2'' PG #5 Ilija MILIJASEVIC (Spartak Subotica, Serbia)
SRB 6'8'' C #23 Nikola DJAPA (Long Island University, Brooklyn, USA)
SRB 6'8'' C #0 Aleksa MILENKOVIC (OKK Beograd, Serbia)
SRB 6'7'' SG/F Filip BOROVIĆANIN (University of Arizona Wildcats, Tucson, USA)
BRA 6'2'' PG #7 Vitor DA SILVA BRANDÃO (Club Athletico Paulistano, Brazil)
BRA 6'4'' SF #9 Reynan SANTOS (Franca Basketball Club, Brazil)
BRA 6'8'' PF #13 Leandro CARDOSO INACIO (Paulistano Athletic Club, Brazil)
BRA 6'9'' C #12 Vítor FARIAS (Franca Basketball Club, Brazil)

TDepressionEarl has issued a correction as of 13:36 on Jun 25, 2023

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

the u19 world cup continues

haha turkiye have three dudes that absolutely tower over these koreans

TUR 6'9'' Berke BUYUKTUNCEL of Tofas SC had a double double yesterday against Argentina and looks primed for another one here tonight, he's wearing number three

korea staying in it with steals and quick transition offense. their set plays aren't sharp enough to penetrate turkish paint present and end up in more distant shots that korea haven't hit quite yet.

TDepressionEarl has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Jun 25, 2023

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

the refs absolutely loved him

the ref factor was another unfortunate aspect of jordan poole's rapid decline.

they definitely looked for carry dribbles because he does like to carry, looks rad, it's illegal.

i think he can still be an all-star player on a rebuilding team if he works on (or is taken off) the dribble and makes his shots. but maybe like once. his finest moments were as spiritual sixth man starting for the load managed star.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

memphis has really good reason to be optimistic now that they have marcus smart. the dpoy field was way deeper last year so no encore, but marcus smart's overall offense improved a lot, his own shotmaking improved a little but his point play will be a treat if he can hook up ja or adams on the lob.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

upon closer inspection i am not sure turkiye u19 have a true point guard, they seem loathe to take threes, they swing their passes around and use their height advantage to move the ball in the air but they still give up a lot of turnovers, their small guys that look like guards are actually just crashing the boards really well.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Ardis SIVAS (6'0'' turkish point guard playing for Gaziantep Basketbol in Turkiye), perhaps I was too harsh. While Buyutuncel is clearly the engine for the turkish offense, Sivas does go defense to offense. the turkish game plan of playing the offensive rebound suppressing the statistical assist

Hamza MESTOGLU (6'8'' turkish forward playing for CB Ucam Murcia in Spain) makes one three and korea get dragged out of the paint, silly mistake, gotta camp in the paint when the laws allow you against the bigger team. i'm sure their coach called time to remind them of that.

Yuhyeon MOON (6'2'' south korean guard) is 4/4 from three and keeping it within a couple possessions,
Junhwi SEOK (6'3'' south korean forward) gets two steals in a row and will shoot a pair and get the ball back, it's a take foul aka "unsportsmanlike"

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Oh yeah Berke Buyuktuncel did get his double double in the third quarter some time ago. Won't have enough time for a triple double despite leading his team in assists.

Sivas finally gets his first three to go and it's timely, young turks lead by ten going into the home stretch.

Yuhyeon Moon leads scorers in the TUR-KOR match with 22.

Haesol LEE staves off garbage time with a desperate three, he's 4/8 from distance but 4/11 overall. across the board korea have had difficulty making their inside shots. the chart looks well spaced but korea are 12/23 on twos and 3/11 in the area between the paint and the arc.

Mestoglu had a nice late surge to close the game for Turkey. A neat eurostep, and some free throws for 11 off the bench. Buyuktuncel finishes the game in style, big dunk with the pass courtesy of 6'8'' forward Karahan EFEOGLU. Efeoglu only fell short of a double double by one board, games are eight minutes shorter remember.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Slovenia vs United States entering the second quarter now, these were the starters

UNITED STATES
G #4 Kylan BOSWELL (University of Arizona)
G #12 Richard Earl "Tre" JOHNSON III (Link Academy, Branson, Missouri)
F #11 Tobe AWAKA (University of Tennessee)
F #14 Asa NEWELL (Monteverde Academy, Florida)
F #5 Cody WILLIAMS (University of Colorado)

SLOVENIA
G #7 Jan VIDE (University of California, Los Angeles)
G #6 Jan ZEMLJIC (Helios Suns, Slovenia)
F #4 Arne OSOJNIK (Eastern Michigan University, Yspi)
F #12 Sergej MACURA (Saski Baskonia, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain)
C #13 Gasper KOCEVAR (Baskets Oldenburg, Germany)

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Asa Newell with a sweet chase down block

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Jan Vide kinda owns he's been getting twenty points a game since he was sixteen, I'll keep an eye out for him on the UCLA Golden Bruins next spring

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Sergej Macura SLAAAAM

America are forced to respect the Slovenian guards spacing and Macrua runs rampant wow

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Dylan HARPER (Don Bosco Prep, Ramsey, New Jersey) makes the United States first three after a 17 minute drought from far to start the game.

Slovenija ain't nothing to gently caress, with Kocevar's board to Vide out to Macura dunk in transition so quick three seconds maybe. USA call timeout trailing by ten with two left in the first half.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Eric DAILEY JR (6'6'' forward out of Oklahoma State) dunks and leads American scorers so far with 8.

Kocevar draws a foul from Harper, he misses both shots and Dailey collects the rebound. Dailey plays the screen and drives but can't get his tenth.

Halftime
SLO 40
USA 33

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Awaka is solid, board man gets paid.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Vukasin TODOROVIC (6'9'' forward for Cedevita Olimpija, Ljubljana, Slovenia) with big impact off the bench. collects a long bounce offensive board, drives it to score, making free throws too.

Oooh and to end the half Todorovic draws a shooting foul from Awaka on a shot clock forced three. He makes two of three. After more free throws from the US, the Slovenian lead is back up to nine.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Sergej Macura closing in on twenty points he leads scorers. He fouls Tre Johnson though. Only five fouls so Osojnik and Ian Jackson are on their last.

Sweeet spin by Dylan Harper game closing up

Ven-Allen LUBIN (6'8' forward' out of Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee) plastered Jan Vide and ties the game

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

they're playin basketbalkan

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

US lead by a single point with four to go, Tre Johnson can't get his three to go,

Jan VIde out runs, enters along the left side post into the paint and layup. I am really impressed by Jan Vide.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Boswell finally getting some buckets, Vide roars back the other way and with two minutes to go, the score in knotted at 71.

United States call time.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

Awaka just bullied some dude

I love the FIBA website boxscore layouts but I miss the rewind ten seconds button

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

AWAKA AND ERIC

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

America lead by four now and send Macura to the line. Eric Dailey Jr was springy on that last putback.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

euphronius posted:

San Antonio is +25000 to win the title if I’m reading this right

maybe I should make a sports wager

if you can afford to lose it, yeah that does seem like they aren't giving Victor a fair shake.

What are the Spurs to win the conference? that seems like a sensible middle ground

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

that was a weird double leap into the sidelines deal where they both try to throw it off each other

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

oooh a choke by Jan Vide, with the shot clock off and down three, Slovenia can't keep the ball on the inbound. Forced to foul chaos in transition

Tre Johnson makes both to put the US up five. That oughta do it with three seconds left, Slovenia will call a timeout to advance the ball but it is a formality. United States come back from down double digits to take it back in the fourth quarter. Both teams shot like poo poo from three, but Slovenia sagged and stumbled while Dailey, Boswell, and Awaka went inside.

Tobe Awaka finishes with a 14/11 double double, definitely today's man of the match over formidable Sergei Marcura who was 19/5/2, and Jan Vide who was 17/3/5

Final
SLO 72
USA 77

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

but I'm dummy thicc

talking about odds unnerves me because the point of odds is to entice

the odds teeter and totter enticing ever more people on to the see saw, for the bookie it only needs to balance by the end of the year