Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mr_Moose posted:

i feel dumb as poo poo watching basketball and trying to pretend to know what's good for the team but I cannot see how adding Chris Paul does anything for the aging Warriors.

I wonder what the average number of games played is going to be between Curry, Thompson, Paul and Green** (if he returns).

I'm also a certified Chris Paul hater so that might be blinding me because I've internalized and accepted as truth everything negative about him I've read online without critical thought.

I don't think it does a lot on the court, though I think trading Poole's minutes for CP3 minutes is an improvement. What it does do for them is take a bad contract off their books and make their stars happy that the front office is making moves for one last push, and they do that without mortgaging the future by overpaying some aging vet or similarly shaky move that hurts them when they go to rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yossarian-22 posted:

Are you sure about that

Yeah, I guess we'll see what they do with Draymond but right now the only players they've got signed for more than $10 mil a year beyond next season are Curry and Wiggins. Curry is still worth his deal but could go south given his age. I suppose they could make me a fool and overpay Dray and Klay as a reward for past contracts, but hopefully they'll be smart and have them seek their payday elsewhere.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

That's some Jordan Poole level shooting there.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

:snypa:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

On the other hand, I'm here Steph Curry of C-SPAM

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

yeah youre a cuck bitch

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

Kristaps is incredibly soft but I’m sure he will turn into mad max on Boston

It wasn't a good trade but Boston only had so many options if they wanted to get whiter and they can't let good be the enemy of perfect.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

okc will be giving tons of minutes to Chet holmgren so I’d be surprised if they win 35 games

Unless he's spent his rehab time bulking up, he better hope they don't ask him to play a ton of minutes. That isn't a frame made for an 82 game grind.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

fart simpson posted:

what about wemby

Unless he's gonna do the Durant thing, same deal. I expect they'll put him on whatever feeding regimen that Porzingis was on though.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It reminds me a lot of KG and the Wolves before the trade. The media loves guys who want to be one franchise guys for their entire career. He's also been much less disgruntled than a lot of guys would be in the same circumstance, so I think reporters give him a lot of credit for sticking around despite the org pretty consistently not making great decisions.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

harden would be incredible in minesota

Harden for KAT would be a hilarious trade. We probably even have the defense to cover up for him if we're not covering for KAT.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

I was going to say Conley and picks but … lol

NBA rules say we can't trade the ones we kept since teams gotta have a first rounder every other year and we gave up all our first round picks for Gobert (along with pick swaps). All we got are 2nds and whoever is still under contract.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

did anyone have FVV getting 40 million a year

yeah, that's about what I expected him to get. he's not a superstar that can carry a team but he's the prototype "second banana max" guy

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

hey euph, the wolves signed Shake Milton. they are saying he's a combo guard but can he actually run the point?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

sixers finally got Patbev

it took too long !

boo I wanted him back on the wolves

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah I just sorta assumed that Doc spent practice napping under the bleachers while the assistants ran things.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

If it is that trade straight up, I can get behind it. It'll never happen, but I could see it working.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol that is such a terrible idea

if he goes to a contender, I'll call my shot here: he gets canned at the all star break of his second season when the team is outside of the playoffs picture after high expectations going in

if he goes to Washington, he sticks around for a while longer because no one's expecting playoffs

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Aw poo poo missed that, yeah that's probably a good spot for him.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

like half of his blocks were blocked 3s lmao

e: he had 2 or 3 more blocks last night that the scorer missed because they were on midrange jumpers

He's gonna have an effect like Gobert before this year where you're gonna see a lot of guys pass up shots or drives just because he's in the vicinity of where they want to shoot, that closeout is just unreal.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah didn't mean just drives but also when he's out at the perimeter guarding someone they're gonna pass it up too but also if he's not at the perimeter and they see him in the paint they're gonna either pull up and shoot so he can't close or just pass it. Gobert used to be the king of getting guys to start a drive then see him and pass after a couple dribbles. Wemby is gonna be taking that crown.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

his career arc has shades of Kevin Garnett and I hope Philly fans are as happy for him as Wolves fans were for KG when he won it all elsewhere

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nonsense posted:

Your Favorite Player belongs on the Spurs

I wouldn't call myself a Spurs fan but I do root for my favorites to land there because I want them to win rings.

Also a big fan of Duncan from back in the day. Sports in general needs more boring superstars. Most people are boring, so let's give kids role models they can actually live up to.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Move over Dray, a new challenger has emerged:
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1680708421882978305

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Marcus Smart had a trade kicker and they moved him. Obviously a lot more with Jaylen's kicker but if things got bad and they wanted him gone, they'd eat it to get a return.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

oof, getting clowned on by Ben Shapiro, that's gotta sting

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Poppers posted:

He was the Michael Jordan of flying planes into skyscrapers lol

Correction, he was the Phil Jackson of flying planes into skyscrapers, or maybe the Red Auerbach

e:fb

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

https://twitter.com/automaticnba/status/1686816984216780818

Probably a sign of the apocalypse that Rudy hit a 3 in a game for the first time in his career.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Maed posted:

glad to see harden and I have the same brainworms, I'd be pissed too, unfulfilled promises are the loving worst even if it's just pizza

its like the no brown m&m rider from Van Halen's contracts. if Morey can't keep his pizza promise, he's not keeping any bigger ones

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Was he accused of anything other than arguing with people about poo poo? All I heard was that he had a burner to yell at people who yell about refs.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lmao going full kd there huh

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mods change my name to Pleasure Taylor tia

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

can someone post the news

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38505763/sources-blazers-trading-damian-lillard-bucks-3-team-deal

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lmfao why did the suns agree this this

If you're trying to construct the most hateable team in the NBA, there's no one you want on your roster more than Grayson Allen. They had to give up a lot to get him, but you can't deny the roster fit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Sorry to see him go but wishing Dame a ring with Toronto, guy gave this city and this team more than either really deserved and wish him well

This is my hope, gotta wonder where Jrue will land cause no way blazers aren’t trying to shop him around for more picks

They've said already that they're gonna shop him around. Wouldn't necessarily be surprised if they start the season with him and deal him at the deadline when some fringe contender gets desperate but I'm guessing he'll be gone before ever playing actual minutes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

euphronius posted:

harden practiced all day today. he looks slim

maybe he will realize his best way to get to the clippers and paid is to ball out . we will see idk

even if he's willing to sign a long term deal with someone, who the heck is giving him anything long term? he's 33 and notoriously doesn't care about conditioning, that's basically the age where guys that don't take care of themselves decline precipitously while conditioning freaks manage to sneak in a couple more years.

at this point, i don't know why any team would give up anything more than 2nd round picks and whatever journeymen you need to make the salaries work.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's probably the best place for him and they might be dumb enough to offer him something beyond 2 years because they're desperate to extend that championship window but he's already down to 60 games a year and they've already got too many guys taking games off to try to be healthy for the playoffs.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chet is gonna be amazing for the 15-20 games he's healthy for this season.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

tristeham posted:

wemby will be massive!

His best case is to basically do what Porzingis did after getting into the NBA and hope he has better injury luck with his lower body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

yeah porzingis is basically his median