Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hifi posted:

He can stand there at the elbow like draymond did and hit cutters or open guys but he might also shoot the ball. It might be a disaster if they try and have him run around off ball like curry does.

I think if it's anything the warriors do well it's integrate a player's particulars into their system. If they're looking at him for a one-to-one replacement for Poole on the second squad it's probably fine though that squad is going to need some revamping anyway. I don't really see how he fits into the first squad's system at all though and the potential (likely?) loss of Green is a much bigger problem they need to solve since it's his defense and passing that allows the shooters to shoot.

I'm not a CP3 fan really in any way and I think my wife had a point when she called it just trading one locker room cancer for another only this one will be in street clothes for the playoffs. This team is old and maybe has another run in them but I can't help but think the era of just bolting parts on to the functioning core is over and if they're going to win moving forward they're going to need some other offensive threat (and at the risk of sounding like Euph, probably a big who can generate points in the paint).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TDepressionEarl posted:

The Warriors have overpaid but they overpaid every step of the way on Poole, and only after the fact, after he helped win a ring. Won't miss the turnovers but those half-court shots were just perfect: stole the cheers right out from hostile throats at the road arenas, killed them when it wasn't Curry killing them.

I didn't think the Poole contract was bad because Poole was bad, but because it was paying penalty damages from mild workplace violence but under a salary cap. Now a salary cap that just got hard spikes installed on it. Shedding $68M of obligations to Poole in the two seasons starting in 2025 ending in 2027 is the correct thing to do.

100% agree

TDepressionEarl posted:

The move improves the likelihood Draymond returns maybe slightly? In the short term, swapping a young shooting guard for an old point guard is correct because without Draymond Green the Warriors simply didn't have a proven dribbler or playmaker to back-up Curry. I was open to ramping up Wiggins and DiVincenzo's usage but that may be irresponsibly experimental.

I was under the impression that DiVencenzo was as good as gone with the dubs rehabbing yet another guy out of their price range. I'm a little less sold on CP3 being a Green substitute because so much of what Green brings starts with his ability to gently caress up the opponent's offense at the other end. That said just a guy who looks like he's in charge would make a ton of difference when Curry sits, they looked absolutely lost in those minutes last season.

TDepressionEarl posted:

Looney is a perfect everyday big but say against the Lakers and the Nuggets, the Warriors are still ridiculously small. Centers also don't generally repeat 80 game seasons do they? Draymond testing the market leaves another depth chart hole at back-up center.

I admit I wanted Kristaps Porzingis on the Warriors. Got a Durant sized hole in my heart.

Looney's fine in the small ball West most of the time but Green plays bigger than his size and is always in there knocking balls (one kind or the other) whenever they're within reach which really compensates for lacking a true big man. The truth is they can use six more fouls in the post against teams that play well inside and just to give Looney some rest. A scoring threat is really necessary to sell the PNR at the foul line and opening up the arc for Curry and Klay who are not getting younger. The amount of movement and speed Curry uses to get shots simply can't be maintained that much longer at his age and they're going to need someone to pull the defense off him a little. I'm not sure such a guy exists to get, of course, but the team has shown in the past that with a passable guy in the paint they can turn him into something (something they can't afford the next year lol).

Durant is a generational player who obviously turned it to easy mode. Watching him flounder trying to superteam it elsewhere is a little sad (just a little) because while I'll readily concede that any team ready to win now and can sign Durant is definitionally a superteam, it's like come on, you're doing this why? Because Steph's the hometown favorite and you're an interloper? It's the same ring as his and here's the thing: you're going to be an interloper everywhere you go. It's such a bizarre exercise of ego to have left.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TDepressionEarl posted:

What was I saying? Oh yeah, I love and respect KD. If GSW crumbles due to poor health, PHX with Book and Beal are a compelling bandwagon. KD thinks that too much love isn't good for a competitor and in some ways I agree. I personally hope he can lead the expansion SuperSonics squad in six years when he's forty and gets that feeling he had of being the local hero again, but I don't think he even wants that. He's more like KG, intense and never willing to settle

I've never heard this opinion before. I mean we're psychologizing here and we'll never know the truth but it seems to me you're saying he doesn't care about rings and winning but instead wants to have to work harder in a losing effort every year? (Maybe he should join us commies here in C-SPAM...) He wants a challenge but one where he's still on a competitive roster but not one full of nobodies, one that contains other all-stars, but he also doesn't care about being the biggest star player there (even though he is but that's just coincidence)? This sounds like nonsense.

It seems to me that the butthurt burner accounts, what looked to me at the time as not wanting to be the second biggest star on the team, the fact that he couldn't take Draymond telling him to his face that "We were winning before you got here"--that it all screams insecurity. That he wanted to win rings and then was all surprised that hey joining a team that was 73-9 without him isn't him dragging the loving Cavaliers to winning the Finals, it's him bandwagoning. And yes, that team with him could win without trying, but he's not going to be remembered as the best player of all time no matter how many rings he gets that way and he probably won't even be the first guy people mention when they talk about that team. So it doesn't matter how many Finals MVPs he was was going to get with them, it was about contemporary and future respect and he was never going to get it in that role on that team.

I'm certain I'm built differently but I'd rather be a (key) role player on a team that was going to be pretty much unbeatable forever collecting rings every year than be known as the guy who brings my talents to all these other places only to watch them implode year after year due to circumstances outside of my control. I feel like KG would've loved to have been on a team like that where he was valuable and winning and opposed to the lone star and losing or worse not the only star but still losing.

I think what he wants is to be thought of in the conversation alongside LeBron and Jordan and talent-wise he's right there with them but he's got such an obvious thirst for it that he'll never be thought of that way and it eats at him.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ESPN got rid of JVG while keeping Mark Jackson? This is awful

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yossarian-22 posted:

I like Van Gundy as the whiny New Yorker. Much better announcer than Stan Van Gundy and certainly Mark Jackson

The only redeeming quality of Jackson was the banter between him and JVG so it's completely non-sensical

I agree with all of this except I'd also say that JVG color commentary is one of my top 3 things I like about the NBA

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

if Wiggins is back 100% you should be fine . he’s the key

I tend to agree with this

The thing with GS right now is you know what you have, and Paul is just there to stop the incredible bleeding that started every time Curry was off the floor. I don't know if what they've got has another title in them but they are competitive as built.

I feel like just in the west Sacramento looks hungrier and seems only a piece or two away from being deadly and of course all the superteams with enough talent when healthy to give them trouble.

Honestly the organization paying Thompson and Green on the back end is a lot more than I expected from them

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I feel like focusing on all the shooting really ignores both defense and the offensive work to get the shooters open

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

lol that is such a terrible idea

if he goes to a contender, I'll call my shot here: he gets canned at the all star break of his second season when the team is outside of the playoffs picture after high expectations going in

if he goes to Washington, he sticks around for a while longer because no one's expecting playoffs

One of my favorite JVG moments was him talking about coaching 8th grade girls basketball and he said something along the lines of "Every chance you get, send six of them onto the court, the refs won't notice half the time." His other great strategy was "Try to convince the bad players that they're sick because you have to play them all. If you time it just right you can get your six best girls on the court in the fourth quarter and just steal the game."

This is the coach I want

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yossarian-22 posted:

If you're lucky, JVG will also grab the best opposing player's legs

Again, that's just solid strategic thinking

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I feel like you're really underselling how good he was at killing people tho

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

"Basketball participant" has me lollin

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The thing about Harden is that he's got the largest spread between how good he is and how good he thinks he is

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

dillon brooks?

I feel like Harden started from a higher high and hasn't adjusted his self-assessment whereas someone like Brooks or Nick Young can only fall so far as they were never that good to begin with.

Like I think if you asked Harden if he's one of the five best players in the NBA he'd tell you definitely whereas I'm sure Dillon Brooks wouldn't

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

CP3 is fine and they have GPII for the Donte role. The problem with the Warriors has been Klay and Wiggins playing like absolute dogshit. It's probably time to have Moody start over Klay but there's no way in hell they will even consider that.

Yeah it seems like it's this. The other starters are shooting what, like 25%?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

a new study bible! posted:

I’m less certain of the Warriors than I am that the Nuggets are going to get jobbed tonight, but it’s hard to imagine the NBA letting Steph get beat down again.

Pretty sure Steph is out tonight, dubs are gonna lose by like forty

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Podziemski leading all Warriors in scoring LMAO

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TDepressionEarl posted:

he's a good pick. wiggins has been smothered by rudy tonight. chris paul does not know how to layup against two centers.

Absolutely, I've been saying he should be paired with Paul on the second squad for since the preseason. Just the fact that he brings energy is enough but the kid has shown he can catch fire.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yikes, that was a rough possession wolves worked it well

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Watching GSW-HOU since I heard the Rockets were actually good. It's hard to tell these days if the other team is good or if playing the dubs starting five just makes anyone look that way. They sure don't look like the pushover they were last year, they look solidly competent at both ends of the floor without being amazing

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

Dillon brooks has been balling for weeks

he’s earnest

Yeah he's in a better place for sure. This Sengun fella looks real too

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Wiggins is the new Poole for some reason. Impossible to watch this team without melting down!!!

I've watched every game for the last couple of weeks and really this team just looks like they're always a step behind, out of rhythm with each other, and tired. Passes are always just a little late, shots feel rushed, and defense feels the same way. They've always had the problem where they'd get ahead of themselves and commit turnovers but lately it feels and looks like they're just too old to run their own offensive scheme

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

I understand a lot of that for guys like Klay but Wiggins is 28 and profoundly athletically gifted, it seems more like he just doesn't give a poo poo

I was listening to an NBA podcast I've been enjoying and one of the hosts when talking about how bad Klay and Wigs have been brought up a good point. When Wigs was in Minnesota he was asked to do more than his role, had expectations that probably exceeded his ability, and was never put in a situation where he could've been what they wanted. But he came to the Warriors and was certainly an important and needed contributor to winning the championship. But what if that was a fluke? What if this just a return to the mean? What if this is just who he is?

I don't know if I believe that but just look at this game while the second squad AGAIN is able to claw back what the first squad couldn't (and doing it without Gary Peyton II). I don't know that age accounts for all of it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

indigi posted:

I’m sure the links aren't real (alternatively, I hope they're honeypots) but the story certainly seems to be real which, fuckin, cmon man.

e: reading deeper there doesn't seem to be much substance to the allegation (yet) so hopefully it's a complete troll and not something this idiot actually did

How much more substance does one need than a fifteen year old posting a picture of herself with the guy, neither wearing clothes, with the caption "I hosed Josh Giddey"?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

indigi posted:

it was my fault for not finding another source

tbf your source is the only msm of the ones we've cited and by far the least informative and most deferential to power

but golly why doesn't anyone trust our institutions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

indigi posted:

I checked Fox News for a comparably bad outlet and lol the photographs are mentioned before the byline:

vs what I read,

lol "posts made by an anonymous user"

The post contained videos of the people in question! There's no "allegedly" to it. I've seen bad reporting but jesus that's loving wild

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tuesday they play again for the record, let's go Nets

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

Legitimately torn on who I'm rooting for in a sixers/heat game

Finally a Boston fan understands what the rest of the country goes through every time it's Lakers v Celtics

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

are duke players called dookies? if not can they be?

Yes they colloquially are

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

Also not upset

We won every game but one in February, can't realistically keep that pace up all season

I'd be more concerned that historically they can't keep that pace up in the playoffs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

loquacius posted:

I absolutely am lol

Tatum's attitude of late that he's just another guy on the court and can step aside for Jaylen or KP if they have it going is great if/when they do have it going but he needs to be able to step back in and lead the team if they don't or if it's not enough (since Jaylen did in fact have it going against the Nugs but we lost anyway) because in the playoffs all it takes is a couple slips for everything to go off the rails as we've seen repeatedly

but it's still the middle of the regular season after a ridiculous February performance and the sky isn't falling yet

I just can't make myself believe in this era of Celtic teams no matter how good they look in the regular season. Once they prove they can win it all I'll come around but they haven't yet and should've more than once. It's hard to deny how good they look though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tristeham posted:

why did they give the mormons a nba team

They didn't, the mormons stole it from NOLA

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dreylad posted:

mormon town having a team called the Jazz is funny though, let them keep it

No, make the Jazz and Pelicans swap names and then make the Lakers and the Timberwolves swap names.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

sga is the best offensive guard of all time

Might be the most perfectly constructed hot take I've ever seen

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Embiid is the most hateable center player hth

ofc now that there are no fouls he's a lot less hateable

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MJ was so much more obviously dominant in his era but it'd be hard for me to not say that we live in a far more competitive era now and LBJ's longevity within that era does mean something.

MJ having all the demons he has and still being more likable says a lot though

LBJ is probably better but I'd be extremely willing to go all in on MJ just to make a LBJ fan upset whereas the opposite isn't true

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Poppers posted:

And Kobe was the GOAT at many things both inside and outside of ball

Rape, as an example

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Poppers posted:

NICELY loving explained noobie

Actually it wasn't a good explanation because in terms of the actual act of rape he probably wasn't anything special but in terms of preventing fallout from it, I really would say that he did exceptionally well. GOAT? It's tough to compare eras but he's definitely up there. Like it's one thing to do a Cosby and be a prolific serial rapist over a lifetime while using your career to prevent even the allegations from coming out but you'll inevitably age into it, but it's quite another to have the allegations come out at the height of your career and for them to more or less be universally believed but still come out unscathed.

Did anyone watch the Mavs/Clips? I have a tough time getting excited about either team but I find myself pulling for the Mavs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

My TL keeps pushing stories about NBC buying up the TNT package in the next TV deal. It's already tedious without JVG games but it would absolutely suck balls to lose Inside the NBA.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I love watching Harden teams eating poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Who'd have thought that if you took all the best players from a bunch of losing teams all you'd build would be a superteam of losers? Clips should add Embiid, he's got that loser stink and 30% availability that would slot right in