Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Normally I post this further into summer, but I got a PM asking to go ahead and get the annual hurricane thread up because they're in the path of Bret and want to post. Stay safe, goon!

The 2022 Atlantic hurricane season began on 6/1 and ends on 11/30.

NOAA hurricane tracker: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Here are all the storm names for this year. Bolded names are storms that already formed. Striked names have come and gone.

Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Don
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harold
Idalia
Jose
Katia
Lee
Margot
Nigel
Ophelia
Philippe
Rina
Sean
Tammy
Vince
Whitney

NOAA's outlook for this hurricane season:

Tropical Storm Bret is expected to hit the eastern Caribbean islands tonight. We also have tropical depression four hanging out there. It's may form as Cindy, but it's projected to weaken shortly afterward.

2023's thread is brought to you by:

...that guy from who jumped off the pier into Fiona's waves. I'm still not sure if he made it back to the beach...

...Jeff sticking his head out the window during the eyewall...

...and that door that hung on longer than anyone expected...

https://twitter.com/comfy_goat/status/1575226877446623234?s=20

Ehud fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I must be thinking about this wrong but on the wind arrival product why are "Earliest Reasonable" times of arrival of winds to the west of "Most Likely" arrival times. Wouldn't "Earliest Reasonable" times for a storm traveling approaching from the east be east of "Most Likely" times?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hed posted:

I must be thinking about this wrong but on the wind arrival product why are "Earliest Reasonable" times of arrival of winds to the west of "Most Likely" arrival times. Wouldn't "Earliest Reasonable" times for a storm traveling approaching from the east be east of "Most Likely" times?

Here's what it says under the graphic:

Earliest Reasonable Arrival Time: the primary graphic, which identifies the time window that users at individual locations can safely assume will be free from tropical-storm-force winds. Specifically, this is the time before which there is no more than a 1-in-10 (10 percent) chance of seeing the onset of sustained tropical-storm-force winds – the period during which preparations should ideally be completed for those with a low tolerance for risk.

Most Likely Arrival Time: the graphic that identifies the time before or after which the onset of tropical-storm-force winds is equally likely. This graphic would be more appropriate for users who are willing to risk not having completed all their preparations before the storm arrives.

I think they're just very poorly named: :dafuq:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I'm probably the furthest east goon. Looks like Brent will pass about 120 miles north of me. Supermarket still crazy tho.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug
Love seeing this thread pop up each year. There’s few other places on the internet anymore to discuss hurricane season in real time. Twitter and youtube live chats just aren’t the same.

Speaking of youtube, here is a list of my personal favorite channels to watch during hurricane season:

Twister Chasers
https://youtube.com/@TwisterChasers
The indomitable Jeff Piotrowski, of Periscope blue shed fame, now has a Youtube channel. Watch as the worlds most endearing boomer screams into his phone’s mic while driving directly into the eyewall. Jeff has a slightly irritating habit of streaming for 10 minutes and then ending the stream, only to create a new one 10 minutes later. But, it’s worth turning on notifications for him, as he’s easily the most entertaining hurricane chaser out there.

Reed Timmer
https://youtube.com/@ReedTimmerWx
We all know and love Reed. He’s not the first storm chaser, but he’s the first that many of us ever watched on TV. His enthusiasm for severe weather is so bright and contagious that he inspired an entire generation of chasers. He’s known for getting up close and personal with tornadoes and hurricanes, sometimes close enough to garner some criticism (notably getting stranded during Ian last year and zero-metering a tornado this year). Despite this, he’s still one of the most respected chasers in the game, and his live streams of events are must-watch.

Brett Adair
https://livestormchasing.com/stvream/brett.adair
Brett is one of the first chasers I really loved and watched religiously back when TVN existed. He doesn’t have a youtube but he does still stream on Live Chasing. Brett has a knack for being in the right place at the right time, provides good commentary, and sometimes he has his buddies in the car with him and while they’re chatting his stream gives a very cozy “dozing in the back of your dad’s minivan” vibe.

Brad Arnold
https://youtube.com/@StormChaserBradArnold
Brad is another name I remember from the TVN days, now he streams on Youtube and often is featured on Ryan Hall’s channel. Brad has consistently good video quality and very often gets insane footage that other chasers miss.

Vince Waelti
https://youtube.com/@StormChaserVince
Vince is kind of a gruff, grumpy guy, but his video quality is generally some of the most consistent during live events. I always have his stream up on one of my monitors.

Ryan Hall Y’all
https://youtube.com/@RyanHallYall
Love him or hate him, Ryan is the biggest weather influencer in the game today. Some of you may recall hearing his name on Twitter a few years ago, where he was scorned and chased out of the weather community for getting in an accident in a ridiculous supercell-skinned truck during a chase. He disappeared for a while and re-emerged as a youtube weatherman, broadcasting live during big severe weather events and partnering with chasers to feature their streams on his channel. He’s blown up huge over the past year, with over a million subs, merch, and he even started a nonprofit to benefit storm victims. He gets a lot of criticism for self promotion, but on youtube that’s something you have to do to succeed. Personally I think he’s redeemed himself from a rocky start, his live-streams are genuinely entertaining and a great way to watch a severe weather event from your couch, and he’s donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to victims through his channel.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
Calling it now, Katia's the name of a storm that levels cities.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
The sea is sounding very angry, but not a drop of rain or a puff of wind. Normally have a 5-10 kt constant breeze, right now nada.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have a laminated hurricane tracking chart because I unironically miss getting a free chart in the newspaper back when I lived along the gulf coast.

Bret's dumb rear end has been circled

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Quick update on our two minor storms. Bret is still chugging to the west and now Cindy has formed as well. Bret is forecast to weaken as it hits some strong wind shears, and Cindy is projected to swing north-northwest and isn't expected to be any sort of land threat.

Bret track

Cindy track

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

good thing those OceanGate guys got their dive in before hurricane season kicked into gear

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

If we get to Hurricane Vince I hope it goes and pisses all over Titan Towers. Does absolutely no harm to humanity, but Vince McMahon isn't human so

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
it's pronounced hurican

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
more like hurrican't :colbert: come at me!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

frankly i'm not a fan of these hurricanes every year, we ought to put a stop to em

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

these old bones cant handle another superstorm sandy

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Regular thunderstorms are still giving me serious anxiety in the aftermath of Ian, so I don’t need any June activity..

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

it's pronounced hurican

theres a place in west virginia named hurricane but it’s called hurr-uh-cun

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I remember going boogie boarding the day before the a hurricane hit VA. 15 foot waves, took us a half hour to walk back. I also survived a flipping a soft top convertible 1 and half times. Sometimes I think I'm invincible, but my back hurts

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Looking forward to Ronnie loving over a bunch more people that voted for him. Hope you guys didn't want insurance because you can't have it.

Hurricanes have gone woke!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

Looking forward to Ronnie loving over a bunch more people he voted for. Hope you guys didn't want insurance because you can't have it.

It was an act of GOD

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ted lasso

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

God doesn't seem to love old evangelicals very much then lol

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
Just for shits and giggles, I have videos I took from Hurricane Maria in St Croix, which was a direct hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9hXZPD2ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvPcK9Ay_rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v7wZx1AYCI

Be safe this season y'all.

Vile_Nihlist666 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 24, 2023

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It feels like we just finished the last hurricane season

I stocked up on things before and after the last big one- hoping we’ll be in better shape as tons of work was done to clear power lines over the year

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
Ryan Hall is proudly ignorant of meteorology and is the worst version of a social mediaologist. He’s good at clout chasing but not much else. I would recommend Tim Vasquez / Forecast Lab instead, who is actually a trained met.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Ryan Hall is proudly ignorant of meteorology and is the worst version of a social mediaologist. He’s good at clout chasing but not much else. I would recommend Tim Vasquez / Forecast Lab instead, who is actually a trained met.

or, ya know, you could just check weather.gov.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Sure, best place for the basic forecast without a doubt. If you’re interested in meteorology discussion/content, I’d still recommend a real met over someone like Hall.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Sure, best place for the basic forecast without a doubt. If you’re interested in meteorology discussion/content, I’d still recommend a real met over someone like Hall.

Anthothy or another hall?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Don seems to be a little special.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

fins posted:

:sad:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ape Fist posted:

Calling it now, Katia's the name of a storm that levels cities.

Katia and The Waves

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fins posted:

lol it's perfect

Usually ITT we just watch the storms in the Atlantic, but we have something brewing in the pacific. Hurricane Calvin has formed and its current track is headed towards Hawaii. It's expected to strengthen to a Cat 2 today, but will probably weaken over cooler waters before it actually gets to Hawaii. Hawaii also sits in the flow of easterly trade winds, which also works against the storm. Based on what I've read this morning, they're thinking it'll be a weak Cat 1 or a tropical storm if it does hit Hawaii.

Landfall for a hurricane in Hawaii is pretty dang rare. Since tracking began in the 50s, only two hurricanes have made landfall. There was Iniki in 1992 and Dot in 1959.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
the past track is even more :wtf:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Guess Don is a bit antiamerican.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

fins posted:

the past track is even more :wtf:

They got pills for that

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

frankly i'm not a fan of these hurricanes every year, we ought to put a stop to em

Add a swivel to my Canadian anti forest fire border wall of fans. Might not reach Florida, oh well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thank you, maybe all that canadian ash can gently caress with the hurricanes like saharan dust

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hurricane Tammy and the T-Rex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Or check with the national hurricane center at nhc.noaa.gov