Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Attack on Titan 2 was made by Koei Tecmo based on the cartoon based on the comic made in Japan in 2009. This game follows the series but you get to make your own OC who is along for the ride. How does a company who makes games where you run towards a bunch of peasants, mash square a bunch with the occasional press of triangle and getting killed by Lu Bu, make a game where the enemies are giant naked people?

By making the zipping around fun as hell. Its like being spiderman but instead of webbing up criminals you chop up giant naked people.

This will cover the Final Battle content, right?

So... about that. Remember how this game is made by Koei Tecmo? They are extremely notorious for never dropping prices on their games on steam. When they have a sale it's 50% off... of a 60 dollar game that was released a decade ago. When I finally bought the game it was for the full 60 and it only ever had a sale once before that. A month later the Final Battle stuff dropped, which was included if you bought the game.

That is, if you bought the game after the Final Battle content was released. Did you buy the game earlier? Well gently caress you, now you have to pay an extra 40 dollars BREAKING NEWS: As I went to double check just now they actually dropped the price to 30 bucks now. Still, I don't want to pay 100 90 bucks on one single game, especially if I waited a few more weeks I would've gotten everything for the same price.

Also it doesn't have your OC be part of the plot anymore so I don't care about it.

Spoilers?

Two of my cocommentators have not watched the series, so please spoiler tag things.

Speaking of cocommentators, I'm riding with NGDBSS, DoubleNegative and Solitaire

Videos

Basic Training 1
Basic Training 2
Battle for Trost 1
Battle for Trost 2
Battle for Trost 3
Battle for Trost 4
Battle for Trost Final
Scout Training
---Friendship Scenes 1
Capturing Titans
Superior Scout Skills
---Friendship Scenes v2
Transformation Tests
---Friendship Scenes v3
We Get Our Pancho
---Friendship Scenes V4
57th Expedition
---Friendship Scenes V5
Female Titan 1
---Friendship Scenes V6
Female Titan 2
---Friendship Scenes v7
Female Titan 3
Stohess
---Friendship v8
Beast Titan
I'm Home
The Eastern Line
Utgard Castle
True Name
Warrior
Friendship Scenes V9
Charge
Scream
Nameless Hero

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The intro fight against the Female Titan happens at the end of the first season.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In my defense it happens at like episode 24 and I think all anime seasons are 12 episodes cause they're just meant to get interest in the manga

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Sometimes they’re trying to interest you in a video game. Not this one though. Not enough micro transactions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I bet the other Titans that appeared are also given fancy names based on their appearance.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Leal posted:

In my defense it happens at like episode 24 and I think all anime seasons are 12 episodes cause they're just meant to get interest in the manga
No that's British television. Now you're making me wonder how loopy this franchise would be if it actually were made by British people.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
One of my favorite games to come out.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The game is on sale at 45% off.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

The game is on sale at 45% off.

wwttfffffff

The expansion upgrade is 25% off as well, but still 22.49. Only 10 bucks cheaper than buying the entire game at this sale. I still wont buy it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

White Coke posted:

Not enough micro transactions.

Also this game has like 40 DLC options here, a bunch of costumes and extra missions. So if you want to put Sasha in a cheerleading outfit or Reiner in a football Jersey, its just 3.50 a pop.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the final battle story stuff sucks but i think it lets you use Thunder Spears? which are good for a laugh but once you're dangerous enough just cutting things is faster

fun game though, i love when IP games let me self-insert and seeing the stupid ways they make it work and this one is one of my favorites.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Basic Training 2

This video is a long one, lots of tutorial stuff going on. Also drinking game time: Take a shot every time I mispronounce "Mikasa"

Rockstar Massacre posted:

the final battle story stuff sucks but i think it lets you use Thunder Spears? which are good for a laugh but once you're dangerous enough just cutting things is faster

fun game though, i love when IP games let me self-insert and seeing the stupid ways they make it work and this one is one of my favorites.

Right, the expansion stuff adds more than story. IIRC it also adds guns.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Leal posted:

This video is a long one, lots of tutorial stuff going on. Also drinking game time: Take a shot every time I mispronounce "Mikasa"

Alternatively do not do this if you value your liver.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
Armin getting into the top 10 implies that theorycrafting, studying, and logistics is also graded and can weigh in your favour.

so naturally when OC completely smokes Mikasa and Reiner (and Annie, who usually takes the 3 spot if you're doing very bad) in training then fails to make the top 10, the implication is you didnt do a shred a of homework, slept through all your classes, and missed roll call every day.

i guess if Keith makes you drop and give him 100 five times a day for being a reprobate without a shred of military discipline you might quickly develop the incredible muscle mass needed to survive ODM gear trying to turn your bones to splinters.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sure is weird seeing people with smooth faces and not those lines around their eyes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

Alternatively do not do this if you value your liver.

Armin getting into the top 10 implies that theorycrafting, studying, and logistics is also graded and can weigh in your favour.

so naturally when OC completely smokes Mikasa and Reiner (and Annie, who usually takes the 3 spot if you're doing very bad) in training then fails to make the top 10, the implication is you didnt do a shred a of homework, slept through all your classes, and missed roll call every day.

i guess if Keith makes you drop and give him 100 five times a day for being a reprobate without a shred of military discipline you might quickly develop the incredible muscle mass needed to survive ODM gear trying to turn your bones to splinters.

But Eren is in the top 10 and he's dumb and also despite his intense desire to kill titans is actually god awful at it. Unlike OC here who is both dumb but can actually kill things

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Today we do some menial work before finally deciding what branch to join Nothing bad happens at all. Nothing at all. :unsmigghh:

Still take a shot everytime I mispronounce Mikasa

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
We got the name of the larger than large titan. Are they going to explain the Abnormals?

Are there any characters that wouldn't benefit from therapy?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

We got the name of the larger than large titan. Are they going to explain the Abnormals?

Are there any characters that wouldn't benefit from therapy?
Everyone in this game would benefit from therapy. Even (and especially) Eren, despite how much I like dunking on him.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Eren is understandable. He just really wants to destroy Chaos Titans.

Was there another picture in the OP?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Eren just need a hug. But the only person who will give it to him is stereotypically too shy to say her feelings

Scalding Coffee posted:

Was there another picture in the OP?

There was but I removed it, I just wanted it to show up in the discord LP announcement bot

Leal fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 10, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battle For Trost 2

We continue fighting for Trost today. Still take your drinks for me mispronouncing Mikasa :v:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Sure is weird seeing people with smooth faces and not those lines around their eyes.

Since I'm editing in scenes of the anime I figure I may as well talk about this for my cohosts who haven't watched it:

Whenever they want to show someone is being intense they do all these lines around their eyes. Its funny when you notice it. Also have a little tease of what the missing merchant looks like

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wonder who this new Titan is that has yet to be explained or named? Titans are so universally hated even other Titans want to kill them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Who do we know whose entirely personality is that they hate titans :thunk:

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 14, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Leal posted:

Who do we know whose entirely personality is that they hate titans :thunk:

Linkle!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

And then Linkle was a zombie titan

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Leal posted:

And then Linkle was a zombie titan
That would be hilarious if KT had the audacity to pull it off. Sadly, from what we've seen they're sticking to canon pretty hard so no LINKLE SMASH for us.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
when a Titan locks in on you snd you get the red mist, time slows down to like 1/10th or slower for everything except you and them. your squadmates will still do their buddy actions if you call on them though

also Daz got a bit more exposure in the Manga, which this game draws a lot from directly, though unlike other anime/manga relationships the anime is basically totally faithful except for whatever it omits for runtime.

the blades are segmented like box cutter knives so they don't break at the hilt exclusively. seems very dangerous to the user imo but thats the idea

Another Mode still lets you use your OC and based on your multiplayer rank you can get a decent amount of crafting rewards on a weekly basis, but being that there's less than 500 concurrent players right now you basically get rewards for doing even a single mission

but uh, also, there are some skills you can only unlock by playing other characters

Rockstar Massacre fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 14, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battle for Trost 3

We finally liberate headquarters, time to kill more titans.

the blades are segmented like box cutter knives so they don't break at the hilt exclusively. seems very dangerous to the user imo but thats the idea

Now thats interesting, don't think the anime ever explained it. Though maybe it does in those bits where commercials would play where it shows design documents for different equipment.

quote:

but uh, also, there are some skills you can only unlock by playing other characters

Looks like I wont be getting those skills :v:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like Eren and FEMALE TITAN both have weaknesses in the nape of their necks that they drop everything to protect. Did they mention it at that point in the anime/manga why it had to be there?

Now that they have a Titan of their own, I wonder what sort of complex weapon they can give it?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I know the anime doesn't explain why the nape is the weakspot. We see Eren emerging from the nape so ok, that makes sense for him. But just about every other titan doesn't have a human piloting them. I googled around once to see why the nape is a weakspot but the responses are pretty much "There had to be a weakspot and thats what the author went with"

Scalding Coffee posted:

Now that they have a Titan of their own, I wonder what sort of complex weapon they can give it?

Sadly they don't get creative and have him carry a cannon

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Attack on Trost 4

More Trost, more titans to kill. Its like DBZ and escaping from Namek!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Eren can't even do his impersonation of the Killer Croc meme. Shameful!

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
from a position of
I don't know a single person who'd say they love Eren so you can prolly get away with razzing him all you want. I don't think he's THAT incompetent though, he just has the distinction of being kinda average where the rest of the cast start to actually show some talent

he's a great focal character for the series tho

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Leal posted:

I know the anime doesn't explain why the nape is the weakspot. We see Eren emerging from the nape so ok, that makes sense for him. But just about every other titan doesn't have a human piloting them. I googled around once to see why the nape is a weakspot but the responses are pretty much "There had to be a weakspot and thats what the author went with"

I think the implication is that the other titans are also transformed humans. Or transformed humans approximate for some kind of organ the titans need to live which doesn't need to be explained beyond that damaging it kills them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I don't know a single person who'd say they love Eren so you can prolly get away with razzing him all you want. I don't think he's THAT incompetent though, he just has the distinction of being kinda average where the rest of the cast start to actually show some talent

he's a great focal character for the series tho

I'm sure I said it in a video, but its funny when you notice how Eren will fall off the map for an episode or two, and how many episodes where they do the barest minimum to show that yes, he is still in the show.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battle for Trost Final

Thats right, today is the last time we'll be in Trost :toot:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There should be no surprise that the politics is barely mentioned, but there is a cult who worships the walls like a Warhammer 40k zealot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It is weird that they gloss over both the merchant and the priest but still have them as characters in the area. I played the game before I watched the anime and was confused on who these characters were.