Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thought I'd had my fix of X-COM with getting a portable install set up and putting ~10 hours into one of the big modpacks, but I keep thinking I need to actually finish the drat game this time because what am I gonna do, let the fuckin aliens win? STOP treating every mission like a carpet bombing campaign? NOT see what buck wild poo poo is waiting for me in the end game to make me mad?! I think playing a shitload of Souls and Soulslikes has permanently altered my gaming brain. Also Witcher 3 completely failed to get any real hooks in me, basically entirely because I found the combat to be competent but uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm still amazed the Witcher 3 combat didn't turn me off it lol, it's so mindless

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yakuza 8 AAR: some guys took a fancy shell from a hermit crab, so I asked them to give it back. To the crab. They said no, so I gave a maudlin speech about what it's like to hit rock bottom. They still said no, so I beat the poo poo out of them and took the shell and gave it back to the crab, because my pet crawfish had taken a shine to it. Now the crab is a summon attack that will inflict poison and deal 1000 base damage to all enemies if I pay it $5000.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I tried to download Harold Halibut on PC game pass but I am getting a 'content failed to load' message. :(

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Gotta be honest, been having a real hankering for New Vegas since I finished the show. Might start up a new game after I finish Dark Souls 3

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Buck Wildman posted:

you should be nice and release him

no, i am evil

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

CaptainBeefart posted:

I tried to download Harold Halibut on PC game pass but I am getting a 'content failed to load' message. :(

i was considering buying it but i read reviews that mentioned bugs so i figured i would wait for a sale and/or patch

i would be interested to know what u think if u get it working

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Pitcher Witcher posted:

Very hyped for Keanu the shadowhog. Coincidentally i have been playing shadow the hedgehog and I can't stand anymore of it. It sucks. The bizarre tone was endearing for a while but the levels suck, the missions suck and the gameplay sucks. I could see run n gunning being fun if it was fast and smooth but nothing in this game is. I got what meager shadow backstory there was out of it. Maria was killed by troops

i bet there are people trying to argue that game is great actually

it's probably the worst game in the series and that's loving saying somethhing

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

didn't that come out in the middle of the 20-year span of every sonic game sucking rear end

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

segaheads should finally accept sonic was never good and throw the dreamcast away

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

was the open world sonic game that looked like it was made out of placeholder assets actually good or was that just cope

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

sonic 2, 3, knuckles and mania are great games

some of the other games are at least pretty good

no respect for people who try to claim sonic was always bad

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

even at peak sonic, mario was better

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

was the open world sonic game that looked like it was made out of placeholder assets actually good or was that just cope

My wife played it. It looked janky as hell but she did finish it with a solid 'meh' appraisal

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

even at peak sonic, mario was better

you can play multiple platformers!!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zokari posted:

you can play multiple platformers!!!

I'd prefer not to

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

Its kinda a mess but I had a lot of fun zooming around a big open space and doing trick jumps off of rails and the boss fights were cool

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Restarted, rushed the tech I know is good, and I'm ripping and tearing. Haven't seen anything to get me to laser weapons yet for whatever reason, and just got my 2nd terror mission (only one death on the first one :smaug:) but decided to leave that for tomorrow. On the plus side, not having much to manufacture beyond tactical snipers means I'm making lots of cash pumping out motion scanners, so I'm not far from a 2nd base to dedicate to just that.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Zokari posted:

i bet there are people trying to argue that game is great actually

it's probably the worst game in the series and that's loving saying somethhing

As terrible and edgelord as that game is, sonic 2006 will always be the nadir of the franchise. at least shadow gave me some unintentional laughs and a couple of good music tracks; 2006 was so loving bad it's legendary. it was so bad it's still burned into my memory

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sonic 2006 is a hit with speedrunners because all the skip bugs can be consistently triggered

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

no, i am evil

Hell, same

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

rudecyrus posted:

As terrible and edgelord as that game is, sonic 2006 will always be the nadir of the franchise. at least shadow gave me some unintentional laughs and a couple of good music tracks; 2006 was so loving bad it's legendary. it was so bad it's still burned into my memory

06 is hilarious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m1Ok9R613Q

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

DaysBefore posted:

I'm still amazed the Witcher 3 combat didn't turn me off it lol, it's so mindless

it also doesn't help that the different mechanics(bombs, poisons, magic) all lose to just putting all your points into killing good and dying bad

good music and chunky dismembering does a lot to help it though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Halser posted:

it also doesn't help that the different mechanics(bombs, poisons, magic) all lose to just putting all your points into killing good and dying bad

good music and chunky dismembering does a lot to help it though
I kinda appreciated what they were going for with the conception of a Witcher not being someone whose godlike immortal superhuman but rather someone whose studied tortuously for years and is willing to subject themselves to preparation.

so like the idea of oils or bombs being you're crouching down going through your passed-down-through-generations beastiary looking up if this thing fits a description of vampireenymph gloam and understanding what makes them to tick to exploit their weakness and preparing yourself for the fight with the right slime-chocolate l'theanine concoction and then light it on fire when they turn corporeal.

unfortunately, it doesn't really work. I don't really think something like that can ever work.

so the best way is just to load-up on melee damage and the personal shield spell and just go to town wailing away + re-up shield once in awhile.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The internet is down because someone stole the copper wiring leading into our building so I'm having to post from my phone, but it's impressive how well Steam offline mode works. I just open up Steam, it figures out there's no internet, and it starts anyway, and I just click into a game, and I'm playing EU4.

This is going to be nice when society finally collapses.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

I kinda appreciated what they were going for with the conception of a Witcher not being someone whose godlike immortal superhuman but rather someone whose studied tortuously for years and is willing to subject themselves to preparation.

so like the idea of oils or bombs being you're crouching down going through your passed-down-through-generations beastiary looking up if this thing fits a description of vampireenymph gloam and understanding what makes them to tick to exploit their weakness and preparing yourself for the fight with the right slime-chocolate l'theanine concoction and then light it on fire when they turn corporeal.

unfortunately, it doesn't really work. I don't really think something like that can ever work.

so the best way is just to load-up on melee damage and the personal shield spell and just go to town wailing away + re-up shield once in awhile.

It does a lot right, all those systems would be wonderful if they were actually necessary at all. Love a game that will force me to stop and think about how to approach things

I've not actually given up on it, but it's sidelined until I have the oomph to play a looooong game where I'm only there for the story, or I guess just hoping things get tough as nails later on in the story which I've already been told isn't the case. In fact I've been told that the hardest part of death march is where I'm at right now lol. I'll probably just bum rush the story and ignore anything that doesn't seem immediately interesting and hope being underlevelled gives it a bit of edge

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

I've not actually given up on it, but it's sidelined until I have the oomph to play a looooong game where I'm only there for the story, or I guess just hoping things get tough as nails later on in the story which I've already been told isn't the case. In fact I've been told that the hardest part of death march is where I'm at right now lol. I'll probably just bum rush the story and ignore anything that doesn't seem immediately interesting and hope being underlevelled gives it a bit of edge
I hate to be that goon because it actually is tedious, but honestly some of my favorite memories playing it was just getting blitzed out on cbd-thc edibles and hunkering down in random roadside taverns during heavy thunderstorms playing a round of gwent before wandering out to save some mudfarmer whose loving a pig whose actually a succubus. really helped getting immersed

if you aren't really immersed into the mudfarmer pigfucker world, it isn't that great of a game. you could try modding it to make it more hard?

actually same for rear end-creed origins too

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Xaris posted:

IIRC tw2 had way more involved pre-fight preparations but those mechanics got almost totally stripped out. easier to have them when the story and levels are more linear i guess so you aren't going to be carrying 5 billion of every crafting ingredient you'll need at all times

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

turn off the TV posted:

IIRC tw2 had way more involved pre-fight preparations but those mechanics got almost totally stripped out. easier to have them when the story and levels are more linear i guess so you aren't going to be carrying 5 billion of every crafting ingredient you'll need at all times

did it? I havent played W2 since I beat it around launch which is now... 17 years ago holy gently caress I'm old as poo poo. I mostly just remember it being very clunky and mostly messing around between light - heavy attacks and dodging.

I think the only way something like that could work is if actual combat is rather rare, sort of like mostly being a game of (mini) boss fights used sparingly overall. but when used then in a more soulsian way of detailed boss fights with specific weaknesses to plan around exploiting. and being more in a true bounty-hunter style of being contracted to hunt something down instead of like fighting a drowner nest or running into a cavebear every 5 feet or something. actually I'm just describing Monster Hunter

I think if they wanted to stick with a combat heavy game where youre fighting something every 5 feet, it should just be a more simple hack-n-slash god of war design instead with lots of moveset flair and chunky dismemberment. It tried to have it's cake and eat it too and I don't think it really worked very well

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:58 on Apr 17, 2024

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

loquacius posted:

Yakuza 8 AAR: some guys took a fancy shell from a hermit crab, so I asked them to give it back. To the crab. They said no, so I gave a maudlin speech about what it's like to hit rock bottom. They still said no, so I beat the poo poo out of them and took the shell and gave it back to the crab, because my pet crawfish had taken a shine to it. Now the crab is a summon attack that will inflict poison and deal 1000 base damage to all enemies if I pay it $5000.

Nancy ftw.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the combat in witcher 3 is boring but on the other hand there are execution animations where geralt chops dudes in half

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

the combat in witcher 3 is boring but on the other hand there are execution animations where geralt chops dudes in half

Yep. Also at no point in W3 did I think that having to spend more brain power on how to cut bandits in half would improve the game. Would just distract from my main activity of freeing unlawfully imprisoned plague wraiths and handing Polish king Jofrey bio weapons.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Xaris posted:

witcher 2 was like this, the early enemy encounters basically required you to use traps and potions

also breaking the game in half by drinking so many potions you turn into a one-hit berserker

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

Gotta be honest, been having a real hankering for New Vegas since I finished the show. Might start up a new game after I finish Dark Souls 3

are you using the greatclub

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

bitmap posted:

are you using the greatclub

I was using Vordt's weapon for a while but I'm using the great mace now. Still pretty indecisive on what I want to settle on.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Kinda had the same issue with Elden Ring, a lot of the weapons are so much fun to play with

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

huh, i used potions and oils and bombs a ton in my witcher playthrough and i thought they were pretty fun and very effective

bombs will clear out trash encounters instantly, which is handy when theres so many of them. You also can make specialty bombs which can completely neuter specific gimmicks that monsters have, its neat

potions are insane and can buff/heal geralt to crazy levels. i really liked the toxicity mechanic which made you balance how many potions geralt can drink with how poisoned hes getting. IIRC you can even get a skill that buffs geralt when hes right on the edge of ODing on potions

oils were a massive damage boost, but theyre also the most boring of the alchemy options since thats basically all they do. i did end up using a mod that auto-applied oils to cut down on the constant menuing

the best part was that all that stuff would auto-restock on rests after you made it once, so it wasn’t tedious to use 12 potions and bombs every fight. It was also a very immersive way to play the game since it made preparations a critical part of your survivability, exactly like how a good witcher would prepare. It was fun going through the investigation part of the quest to confirm the monster, look up their weaknesses and gimmicks, and prepare the perfect counter for them

sure, you could stack damage or magic skills and ignore all of this, but i really liked how alchemy was handled and i wish every rpg would steal the “hard to craft once, extremely easy to restock” mechanic for potions and other consumables

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I tried playing a game as Greece in Old World but apparently there is just no forests anywhere near me. What do I do for wood? Send scouts around specifically to find a wooded spot to settle?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

I tried playing a game as Greece in Old World but apparently there is just no forests anywhere near me. What do I do for wood? Send scouts around specifically to find a wooded spot to settle?

A quick scan of internet posts indicates that you'll need to use a combination of:

- rushing for a city spot with wood and hope you can get it
- chopping scrub for small amounts of wood that you can use for when you really need it
- otherwise avoiding anything and everything that requires wood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Alternatively you can produce a fuckton of stone (no trust me, you need more stone than that [no really, those are rookie numbers]) and sell that to buy wood.