Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

docbeard posted:

Gonna tell my kids this was Starfield

Thats not Master Of Orion 2 (the best possible space game).

Been playing Dave The Diver, its free on PsPlus Premium SSJ2 or whatever its called. Its fun! I just got a bomb, for reasons.

Also planning to download the second Dead Island 2 DLC soon. I liked the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

speaking of ps+ plus premium pro plus2 games out this month -

stray blade is yet another half baked soulslike with horrible feeling combat mechanics and boring level design
miasma chronicles is the same but xcom

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

wondering which is the more painful blow canon has dealt to gamers: that the ncr lost, or that tracer is gay

been fantasizing about gay Tracer since the 90s I’m glad Warren Spector finally came out and made it official

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Thats not Master Of Orion 2 (the best possible space game).

Master Of Orion 2 is the best Building A Space Empire game (it's been for-loving-ever since I played it though)

Space Rangers 2 is the best Flying Around Space Trading And Fighting Pirates And Evil Robots And Taking Some Time Off To Run A Ski Resort For A While game

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Folks should play Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space. It was a herald of the roguelike rebirth long before the great indiesplosion happened. Grabbed it on cd from a best buy bargain bin as a child, it kicks rear end and its on steam now

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
memories of master of orion 3

a game that would probably do better today

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
my favorite boomer space 4x is Ascendancy. its not the best of them but it had a lot of ideas. the alien races were truly alien, which was cool

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I need to waste a bunch of time on a big juicy 4X game after finishing FF7: Rebirth. I've loved it, I think packing it full of mini games captured the feeling of the original, I'm also the mst3k crew screaming end at the screen.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Al! posted:

my favorite boomer space 4x is Ascendancy. its not the best of them but it had a lot of ideas. the alien races were truly alien, which was cool

Ascendancy was a lot of fun, played through it again when they released it on iOS a long time ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reagan posted:

memories of master of orion 3

a game that would probably do better today

I can't explain it but my dad was completely hooked on Master of Orion 3 despite it being universally panned

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

speaking of ps+ plus premium pro plus2 games out this month -

stray blade is yet another half baked soulslike with horrible feeling combat mechanics and boring level design
miasma chronicles is the same but xcom

From Software's technical shortcomings claim another victim. Every indie developer and most AAA devs think they can just make their own soulslike just because "From's games don't have the most advanced graphics, have performance problems, and they reuse assets so it can't be that hard!" They don't realize that that From has some of the best level design in the entire industry and they polish their level and combat encounter designs to a mirror shine. The core of the games are the level designs and how the player overcomes the combat encounters and stage hazards within those levels. Its why the Chalice dungeons aren't very good and why just having a dodge roll doesn't mean your game is a good soulslike, or even a soulslike at all. Also the combat really relies on the specific animations and values From uses for things like attack ranges, attack speed, how much an animation moves your character forward, etc. You can't just fudge it, they need to be very finely tuned. Otherwise you get stuff like Steel Rising where the developers think soulslike combat is clunkier than it actually is and the fastest 1-handed weapon in Steel Rising is only about as fast as the slowest 2-handed Berserk sword in one of From's games.

Sorry for the rant. "Level design is important and should be good" is my dumb gamer pet issue and hill to die on and I am annoyed by people thinking four enemies in a square room is a soulslike just because there is a dodge roll and enemies telegraph their attacks from a mile away.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

all time favorite spacey 4x haaaas to be Deadlock: Planetary Conquest - its like a pleasant mashup of Alpha Centauri and Sim City that combines surprisingly deep resource and labor micromanagement with equally surprisingly hands-off combat mechanics, so your ability to prepare and manage your colony is a lot more of a factor than your strategic and tactical prowess

also notable for a hidden song on the cd that jokes about all the different species and their gameplay traits :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19mg4ci69A

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't explain it but my dad was completely hooked on Master of Orion 3 despite it being universally panned

that's awesome, I approve of your dad finding a game to be passionate about

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
starsector

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Endless Space 2 is just so pretty

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
all of amplitude's games are really pretty.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

They're pretty... bad

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

for all its faults, ES2 is the 4X I’ve returned to the most over the years besides MoO2. it’s hard to overstate the importance of a good UI in getting the most out of a 4X, and ES2 is a masterclass in UI design and general usability

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

there's a ton of really good deals for games from microsoft studios on steam rn. check your wishlist

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

starsector

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

docbeard posted:

Space Rangers 2 is the best Flying Around Space Trading And Fighting Pirates And Evil Robots And Taking Some Time Off To Run A Ski Resort For A While game

:hai: it rules. Goofy rear end rts missions in between trade runs and then maybe playing as a diplomat in a text adventure? why not. going from frantically running away whenever dominators drop into the system, to skulking around the edges of the battlefield hoovering loot before someone notices you to, to taking on small groups, to calmly shredding the bulk of a fleet felt amazing. Much more so than a scripted game could ever be

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

KirbyKhan posted:

I love ES2's look and UI but the combat suuucks and so does the research.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ben Nerevarine posted:

for all its faults, ES2 is the 4X I’ve returned to the most over the years besides MoO2. it’s hard to overstate the importance of a good UI in getting the most out of a 4X, and ES2 is a masterclass in UI design and general usability

honestly, horatio ftw

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

they did a combat overhaul recently out of no where

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Man I still miss sword of the stars 1 for being an absolutely wonderful game

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Was sword of the stars 2 so bad that we pretend it doesn't exist anymore? I really liked 1 but never bothered with 2.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Al! posted:

Hell yeah Ascendancy ruled

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember wow having really nice sound and music

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Paradox 4x map games take up all the time i would have for other 4x games not made by Paradox.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Al! posted:

honestly, horatio ftw

I think the horatio were like a fan concept that the devs liked so much they integrated into the game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Love the Horatio dating sim

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crosscode remains great, I love Lea. Just got past the big plot reveal and I'm a big fan of the big meathead already as well

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lea takes the concept of a silent protagonist and twists it in a really cool way.

What I mean to say is Lea Hi! Why Lea? Lea!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

Lea takes the concept of a silent protagonist and twists it in a really cool way.

What I mean to say is Lea Hi! Why Lea? Lea!

Yeah, they did a good job with the art to do a lot of the heavy lifting, at least in the important bits, and it never stops being funny to me that all the NPCs still respond to her like she's given a proper and insightful response because they only have a few canned lines just like in any real game

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

someone released a 6dof vr profile for Borderlands 3. maybe that will make the game good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

someone released a 6dof vr profile for Borderlands 3. maybe that will make the game good
narrator voice: it didn't

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Xaris posted:

narrator voice: it didn't

still very curious how a looter shooter will work in vr

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like the fun guns in Borderlands

it's just a shame it gives you an endless parade of useless gray/green ones that are worse than the unique one you got forever ago in the game that you can never switch from because it jealously hoards gear for no reason

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I like the fun guns in Borderlands

it's just a shame it gives you an endless parade of useless gray/green ones that are worse than the unique one you got forever ago in the game that you can never switch from because it jealously hoards gear for no reason

iirc thats how it worked for me solo but when i was playing in a full group of four it rained also useless oranges and purples on me

still what i did appreciate about 3 is that the guns were maybe 10% wackier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

euphronius posted:

I remember wow having really nice sound and music