Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

From Software's technical shortcomings claim another victim. Every indie developer and most AAA devs think they can just make their own soulslike just because "From's games don't have the most advanced graphics, have performance problems, and they reuse assets so it can't be that hard!" They don't realize that that From has some of the best level design in the entire industry and they polish their level and combat encounter designs to a mirror shine. The core of the games are the level designs and how the player overcomes the combat encounters and stage hazards within those levels. Its why the Chalice dungeons aren't very good and why just having a dodge roll doesn't mean your game is a good soulslike, or even a soulslike at all. Also the combat really relies on the specific animations and values From uses for things like attack ranges, attack speed, how much an animation moves your character forward, etc. You can't just fudge it, they need to be very finely tuned. Otherwise you get stuff like Steel Rising where the developers think soulslike combat is clunkier than it actually is and the fastest 1-handed weapon in Steel Rising is only about as fast as the slowest 2-handed Berserk sword in one of From's games.

Sorry for the rant. "Level design is important and should be good" is my dumb gamer pet issue and hill to die on and I am annoyed by people thinking four enemies in a square room is a soulslike just because there is a dodge roll and enemies telegraph their attacks from a mile away.

The new Lords of the Fallen got panned and overlooked, because it came out the same time as Lies of P, but it has the best world design since dark souls 1 hands down. I really enjoyed it and thought the realm switching mechanic was used pretty well. I hope they do a good dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reagan posted:

Man I still miss sword of the stars 1 for being an absolutely wonderful game

:same:

never played another 4x in multiplayer as much as i did that game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/HYPEX/status/1781416824824873143?t=ijREjc8U3UGmcYme_iu8nQ&s=19

Another score in favor of that roadmap being true.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Al! posted:

iirc thats how it worked for me solo but when i was playing in a full group of four it rained also useless oranges and purples on me

still what i did appreciate about 3 is that the guns were maybe 10% wackier

its a shame that borderlands 3 made major improvements in every facet of gameplay because the writing is so much worse than any other borderlands game that its actively distracting

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

what's the festival gonna be about hooty

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DoombatINC posted:

its a shame that borderlands 3 made major improvements in every facet of gameplay because the writing is so much worse than any other borderlands game that its actively distracting

i straight up put voice on mute the second i started that game, no lie

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:siren: el shaddai finally on sale https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581040/El_Shaddai_ASCENSION_OF_THE_METATRON_HD_Remaster/

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The new Lords of the Fallen got panned and overlooked, because it came out the same time as Lies of P, but it has the best world design since dark souls 1 hands down. I really enjoyed it and thought the realm switching mechanic was used pretty well. I hope they do a good dlc.

It was extremely unfortunate timing not just because the bonkers premise of Lies of P hogged a lot of the spotlight, but also because Lies of P ended up being the Real Deal, easily the best Soulslike ever made. I should probably give LotF a try sometime, I remember it was a bit rough at launch which is pretty much industry standard now, is it in a better spot now?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is there a solution to my laptop reaching egg cooking temperatures when really pushing it or is thems the breaks with physics

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Al! posted:

is there a solution to my laptop reaching egg cooking temperatures when really pushing it or is thems the breaks with physics

For VR I assume? No idea, Lossless Scaling has been a lifesaver for my mobile and anything that stresses my aging 2080 though. Crank up the quality, lower the resolution, set it to borderless, then use the program to upscale it to native resolution. Includes frame generation as well but I haven't played around with it much since it works best when you have a stable framerate, and if I have a stable framerate that's good enough for me

edit - also assuming you've ripped it open and cleaned it out, the obvious first step

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

frame generation looks loving wild in vr, i should see if i can get a screenshot of it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Al! posted:

frame generation looks loving wild in vr, i should see if i can get a screenshot of it

Yeah VR is a big order for hardware and middleware alike I'd bet, since everything is both high resolution and right in your face so there's zero wiggle room. Frame gen is probably a really bad idea, but upscaling could work, I think most VR titles now include some kind of upscaling at this point so it can't be THAT bad. Lossless Scaling is $7 on Steam and is DRM-free so you don't need to actually run it from there

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Is there something about vr that makes it unsuitable for a big old desktop tower with adequate cooling? Is it because it's annoying to drag it out into the living room where you have space to wave your vr arms around?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Epic High Five posted:

It was extremely unfortunate timing not just because the bonkers premise of Lies of P hogged a lot of the spotlight, but also because Lies of P ended up being the Real Deal, easily the best Soulslike ever made. I should probably give LotF a try sometime, I remember it was a bit rough at launch which is pretty much industry standard now, is it in a better spot now?

I couldn't get into LotF myself so i dunno, felt too fiddly and trying to do too many mechanics that it wasn't grabbing me and felt like a big step back from Lies of P which was excellent

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

palindrome posted:

Is there something about vr that makes it unsuitable for a big old desktop tower with adequate cooling? Is it because it's annoying to drag it out into the living room where you have space to wave your vr arms around?

its more like i want something i can use on the couch and then tuck away for vr. i have a desk at work i dont want/need to bring that poison home

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Al! posted:

its more like i want something i can use on the couch and then tuck away for vr. i have a desk at work i dont want/need to bring that poison home

maybe a cute lil itx system that you can hook to the tv and vr? basically any silicon that is sufficiently powerful to do the stuff you want is also sufficiently powerful to draw a lot of juice from the wall, and that power has to go somewhere (its heat, heat is where it goes)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

maybe a cute lil itx system that you can hook to the tv and vr? basically any silicon that is sufficiently powerful to do the stuff you want is also sufficiently powerful to draw a lot of juice from the wall, and that power has to go somewhere (its heat, heat is where it goes)

are the fittings similar/the same? ie could i cannibalize the components, shove them in a case, and attach a new power supply and cooling?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Looks good, never heard of it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
whoa just found out the mario mushroom sound slowed down to 1/4 is the victory sound. epic gaming knowledge get

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

err posted:

Looks good, never heard of it.

its an extremely arty platformer/rhythm action game about the book of enoch, pretty good imo

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Al! posted:

are the fittings similar/the same? ie could i cannibalize the components, shove them in a case, and attach a new power supply and cooling?

similar/the same to a desktop pc? a lot of them are, yeah - the itx standard is a type of motherboard that's super little sized but other than that the components (gpu, cpu, ram) are the same as any other desktop pc and your restrictions are almost entirely down to whatever case you select (examples for your situation might be, like, the Fractal Ridge or Fractal Terra, but there's hell of itx cases all with their own aesthetics and restrictions)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

what's the festival gonna be about hooty

Billie Eilish apparently

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

whoa just found out the mario mushroom sound slowed down to 1/4 is the victory sound. epic gaming knowledge get

What the heck

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Billie Eilish apparently

neat

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

It's been pretty consistently patched since it came out, should be in a much better spot now. It's definitely much more of a crunchy ds1 style than LoPs mix of Bloodborne and sekiro. I thought LoP was great too but the exploration and level design was a little uninspired in places. I just really vibed with LotFs setting and it gave me that feeling of exploration that old souls games did.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bad Guy is already in the game and idk much of her other stuff but I'm just glad they're continuing to support the other game types after the initial popularity kind of died down

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

What the heck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtzkoVW_Qg

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
i bought trombone champ for switch which is on sale for less than $10 but it was a flop with my niece who just asked if there were any other instruments to play seems like more of a drunk party game anyway since its impossible to be completely accurate with the motion controls which makes watching people who really try more funny

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

I Love You

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I played through the prologue/intro of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and good lord this game is authentic. I couldn't win a fistfight with the town drunk for the life of me, and the lockpicking controls were so squirrely that I couldn't get that to work either, so I snuck up on him, knocked him out with a choke-hold, lifted the keys from his body, and opened his chest to take his stuff back that way. It really feels like the game wants to drive home the notion that fighting is really loving difficult and dangerous and you need to find other solutions whenever you can.

There's also a ton of lore about the Holy Roman Empire that you can read in the codex if you want to immerse yourself in the game's universe.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

gradenko_2000 posted:

I played through the prologue/intro of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and good lord this game is authentic. I couldn't win a fistfight with the town drunk for the life of me, and the lockpicking controls were so squirrely that I couldn't get that to work either, so I snuck up on him, knocked him out with a choke-hold, lifted the keys from his body, and opened his chest to take his stuff back that way. It really feels like the game wants to drive home the notion that fighting is really loving difficult and dangerous and you need to find other solutions whenever you can.

There's also a ton of lore about the Holy Roman Empire that you can read in the codex if you want to immerse yourself in the game's universe.

it loving rules

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

eventually you git gud at the combat but until then it is rough

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
I went back to Ultrakill for the new update and put enemy damage at 15% to test the new weapons. Unintentionally, it's the most fun I've ever had playing the game since I'm not stressing about dying.

I guess this is what becoming a casual feels like, my 15 year old self would be really angry at me

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Jar Jar, open the pod bay doors

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the only games i need in order to learn about the holy roman empire are crusader kings and pentiment

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

World War Mammories posted:

the only games resources i need in order to learn about the holy roman empire are crusader kings and pentiment

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i enjoyed kc:d until i had to use a sword

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i enjoyed kc:d until i had to use a sword

shoulda stuck with it. sword is enjoyable to use once you know how

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
kcd also has the best archery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009
Dragon's Dogma 2 really refines and improves on the best part of the first game - exploration. The world is much bigger, and fast travel is expensive and limited - there's only a handful of preset points to use as destinations, the crystals to make new destinations are very limited unless you engage in exploration to the really remote corners of the world, and fast travelling itself costs an item worth 10k each time you do it. When every third goblin gives you about 500 bucks, that's gotten me to walk back to town even when I'm poisoned and at 40% max hp.

When you get hurt while travelling, you can only recover a portion of the damage. Your max health is lowered whenever you get injured, eventually meaning that if you get knocked around a lot and fail to dodge/deflect enemies, or fall into traps a bunch, then you'll have to deal with your max health dropping lower and lower, making it more likely for you to be one-shot by a goblin getting lucky and powerbombing you over a cliff. There are again consumables that help with this - limited in supply, a reward for thorough exploration - but your party members also suffer attrition, and you can only carry so much before you need to return to an inn or one of your homes and deposit all the crap you've picked up. Your limited health pool can also be restored at your home/an inn, and any fatalities among your party can be replaced here. You can camp out in the wilderness using camping kits - they're even reusable! - but if you get unlucky monsters will attack the campsite as you sleep, and they may even destroy your tent, meaning you can't recover health. Camping kits are heavy, and wilderness campsites don't have anywhere for you to stash all your assorted griffin perineums and cyclops dongliz.

So you actually plan expeditions into the wilderness. You mark routes that'll take you into unknown terrain, but make sure that you know how to get to a safe place - be that one of the rare towns or an accessible campsite. You often find yourself far away from any kind of safety, knowing that the game only has one save, and there's something big knocking over trees down in that forested grove that you might actually want to avoid, since you're at about 70% and while that may be a cyclops that you're well equipped to knock out, it could also be a drake, or something worse. You actually engage with all the systems, really paying attention to the world around you - which also means you're more likely to spot that sneakily hidden chest or seeker's token tucked away, which rewards you and feeds into the loop. It's incredibly good if you want an RPG that makes the journey the most compelling part - the combat's fantastic, and I like the world and story, but the exploration is what has really drawn me in to this one.

However, they removed Magic Knight and the replacement tank class for the main character sucks poo poo, so it's a bad game and you shouldn't play it.