Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

I guess maybe I'm at the point where I should just give him my five loving dollars and start over on the beta branch???

This, or go home and be a family man. Either or.

But looks like that's orbed out. It's a good orb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just closed tab :cry: I'll start again soon with a more complex orb than ever

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Space Rangers 2: Has kind of taken a back seat to Wasteland, which is fine, it's perfectly content being a 'noodle around in this when you feel like it' game. I did get qualified for my second Pirate promotion, which means I get a quest, this time to hunt down a double agent (unlike me, a definitely loyal pirate heh heh). I did get most of the galaxy annoyed at me in the process but pirates will help you change your identity (even if you're not a pirate yourself) and that makes everyone forget they were mad at you, mostly.

Wasteland: Finished up the main questline in Needles. I remember Needles having an annoying layout from before, which it kind of does, but mostly that was probably down to C-64 load times again. There are two downtown sections smack in the middle, and some stuff surrounding it.

I'd already done a few things in Needles, such as recruiting Christina at the start of the game. She's a very solid NPC and also is the easiest way to get a submachine gun way earlier than the game expects you to. More recently I visited the library to buy up some skills, and the Waste Pit to loot some nice weapons and armor (two assault rifles and two radiation suits).

We also visited the local Mushroom Cloud church, where the head cleric told us his second-in-command had gone missing, and also about some mysterious murders that had been happening. We wandered around town a while and eventually found his missing guy, as well as something called a Bloodstaff. We also found ANOTHER Bloodstaff somewhere else.

A conversation with the local cops (who we then proceeded to rob blind, as one does) filled us in with the details about the murder spree, corpses drained of all their blood. A return to the Mushroom Cloud Church revealed that yes, in fact, the Bloodstaff is a holy relic that had also gone missing. Oh well, fortunately we have two so that's fi-

IT'S A FAAAAAAAAAAAKE

So yeah. Turns out there are a bunch of fake Bloodstaffs floating around. We do find a Bloodstaff Verification Device guarded by some jerks (the local gang is literally called the Jerks, in case you were worried this game was at all highbrow) and confirm that all the Bloodstaffs we've found so far are fake. However, there's also the Temple of Blood just outside of town to check out, and I may be a lowly Desert Ranger with an associates degree in Toaster Repair, but it's not hard to spot a connection.

Man, I have bad memories of the Temple of Blood from back in the day, and they're kind of warranted. Security robots (who are much deadlier than anything we've fought to date) roam the halls, there are traps and poo poo that will constantly knock off your hp (or 'MAXCON' as the game calls it) and that's just on the first level, before it dumps you into a literal lake of blood.

Fortunately we can pretty much camp at will to restore health since there don't seem to be any random encounters down here. Plenty of non-random ones though. This is essential because, unlike both contemporary RPGs and future games of the post-apocalyptic variety, there's no 'magic' healing, no stimpacks or healing potions, no spells or the equivalent. There are two skills, Medic and Doctor, that can help you out if you get seriously injured, but they only come into play if you're dying. Otherwise your options are 'go to a doctor's office' or 'wait'.

Equally fortunately, this place is just teeming with loot, and we walk out with enough assault rifles for the whole party (the best weapons we'll see for quite some time), some rockets, and at last the real Bloodstaff, for which the Mushroom Guy is quite grateful. (He pays in Even More Weapons, oh, and a new engine for our broken jeep.)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In Orb of Creation, the plot progression is "you are hovering alone in an endless void with no memories of yourself or the world and only a mysterious orb for company" to "you have successfully created a wizard bachelor pad in your endless void with upwards of 3 physical rooms, not counting the warehouse where you keep your billions of scrolls, pages of paper, and logs of wood, and you've really spruced up that orb too"

Still no memory of yourself or the world, but you have a pretty nice 1br at least, and dammit if your orb isn't the best orb you can possibly make

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What's the deal with Garry? He get phished and got the source code to s&box leaked or something?

E: so lemme get this straight, someone has been spamming DMCA takedowns on Nintendo stuff on the steam workshop for years and years, but all of a sudden NOW is when he decides he must respond, after years of nothing happening?

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Apr 26, 2024

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Justin Tyme posted:

What's the deal with Garry? He get phished and got the source code to s&box leaked or something?

E: so lemme get this straight, someone has been spamming DMCA takedowns on Nintendo stuff on the steam workshop for years and years, but all of a sudden NOW is when he decides he must respond, after years of nothing happening?

lol I thought he was assuming that ALL Nintendo DMCA takedowns that ANYONE had received must have been the same guys that contacted him.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Justin Tyme posted:

He's dumb lol it rules. He's a huge idiot (laudatory)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man the secrets in Remnant 2 are insane.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

docbeard posted:

Wasteland:

*SNIP*

I played a huge amount of Wasteland (and Bards Tale) as a kid on an Apple II/C so I am really enjoying these updates.

Can't wait for you to run into The Scorpitron, that thing ended a bunch of runs for me as a kid.

Other things that ended runs:

-Using every clip of Assault Rifle ammo in the world before being able to move to energy weapons.

-Falling in a river (many times, different rivers)

-having the game bug and fail to drop a critical item (several times, keycards, cyborg parts, etc)

-all the awful bullshit in the LV Sewers

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

docbeard posted:

Wasteland

glad you're doing this again

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I played a huge amount of Wasteland (and Bards Tale) as a kid on an Apple II/C so I am really enjoying these updates.

Can't wait for you to run into The Scorpitron, that thing ended a bunch of runs for me as a kid.

Oh god, that thing, I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN YOU, BUDDY.

quote:

Other things that ended runs:

-Using every clip of Assault Rifle ammo in the world before being able to move to energy weapons.

-Falling in a river (many times, different rivers)

-having the game bug and fail to drop a critical item (several times, keycards, cyborg parts, etc)

-all the awful bullshit in the LV Sewers

Yeah, I still have 'fond' memories of washing out of the Vegas sewers into the river and there's a reason I buy Swim on every character first thing

Anyway, Vegas is next for me, so we'll see how it goes!

Though the meatgrinder I'm really looking forward to is The Citadel

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I keep getting killed by the raiders at the very start of the game and reloading back to the gas station lol cause I put a bed there.
lol I forgot about bed building and kept reloading at a dirty mattress in concord

coupled with a periodic damage infection mmm yeahhh

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

docbeard posted:

Though the meatgrinder I'm really looking forward to is The Citadel

The armor/weapon situation escalates so quickly in that part of the game, like Neo-Chitin is a massive upgrade over Kevlar Suits, but then the very next place you can go gives you an immediate upgrade. It really feels like there should have been another destination between finishing up Sleeper Base and heading to the place you mentioned.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
giving a last farewell to the modded/kitbashed elspeth von draken before the DLC comes out. What a well made mod.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Getting to the part of this modpack where things are starting to diverge, night time terror mission...snake men...but I swept it clean with only 1 death. How? Well the chrysalids were instead big dinosaurs that mega resist everything but HE. Bit of luck there, as chrysalids and worse are definitely still in the pack

Have upgraded to all gauss weapons which hit like a truck, and I have the next tier unlocked as well but they're way too expensive on elerium. God this game is so good once you hit a stride and start turning things around on the aliens. Just figured out the money making strat so my radar coverage research outposts are about to grow exponentially

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DaysBefore posted:

Early Access is a joke but Manor Lords looks very cool. I'm willing to pwn myself if I really enjoy what the crime version gives me once it's released

I'm enjoying it and I hope others enjoy it. It's part of the Hooded Horse city sim bundle and all those games are incredible (and I own them all). incredible bundle imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

I'm enjoying it and I hope others enjoy it. It's part of the Hooded Horse city sim bundle and all those games are incredible (and I own them all). incredible bundle imo

Hooded Horse is such a goated publisher. Banger after banger

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hubbert posted:

I bought Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

I've never played games like Dark Souls, Chivalry, or Mount & Blade.

Any tips?

My recommendations as someone pretty new to it:

- Choose the speech bonuses when talking to your mom at the start
- if you're okay with some tedium you can optionally pick a lot of herbs and pick up the perk that gives you 2 charisma if you have a few flowers in your inventory + the hidden perk from picking 100 nettles that gives +2 vitality
- Basically just do the main quest until probably around Mysterious Ways after you get sent back to Rattay
- as others said, train with Bernard near the training arena in Rattay. This is free and distinct from the training he charges for. remove your armor before training, since it will get destroyed
- at some point - I think once you're at 5 for a weapon type? - you can ask to learn Master Strikes. Defensively fight Bernard for a bit to earn the right.

For early combat, don't hesitate to shoot some arrows at point blank range.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/patrician_tv/status/1783866794580594700?t=Z9On4ThIkWRk1G2EUKvJOg&s=19

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

is there like a marauding horde of Canadians in fallout I wasn't previously aware of

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

is there like a marauding horde of Canadians in fallout I wasn't previously aware of

super-mutant yetis I assume

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

prime yankee-doodle gamer content.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

prime yankee-doodle gamer content.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

you know how the opening cutscene in fallout 1 includes a recording of a couple american soldiers executing a helpless canadian prisoner and then laughing and waving at the camera? a couple weeks ago bethesda’s lead writer tweeted “hey, little-known connection between fallout 1 and fallout 4: the male protagonist in 4 is the guy watching his fellow soldier execute a guy in that cutscene! neat, huh?” before backtracking when he realized that he had just made the guy a war criminal. so the gag is that fallout 4’s nate really loving hates canadians

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Thank you everyone who gave me advice on how to play Kingdom Come!

:blessed:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

you know how the opening cutscene in fallout 1 includes a recording of a couple american soldiers executing a helpless canadian prisoner and then laughing and waving at the camera? a couple weeks ago bethesda’s lead writer tweeted “hey, little-known connection between fallout 1 and fallout 4: the male protagonist in 4 is the guy watching his fellow soldier execute a guy in that cutscene! neat, huh?” before backtracking when he realized that he had just made the guy a war criminal. so the gag is that fallout 4’s nate really loving hates canadians

oic

Hubbert posted:

Thank you everyone who gave me advice on how to play Kingdom Come!

:blessed:

thanks from me too for whenever I get around to it. so much y8 yet to do

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

the jk rowlingification of media

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

so that's why he hates newspapers

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

Getting to the part of this modpack where things are starting to diverge, night time terror mission...snake men...but I swept it clean with only 1 death. How? Well the chrysalids were instead big dinosaurs that mega resist everything but HE. Bit of luck there, as chrysalids and worse are definitely still in the pack

Have upgraded to all gauss weapons which hit like a truck, and I have the next tier unlocked as well but they're way too expensive on elerium. God this game is so good once you hit a stride and start turning things around on the aliens. Just figured out the money making strat so my radar coverage research outposts are about to grow exponentially

big dinosaurs? Like the Triscenes from TFTD?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Nate sucks, play the mom instead.

And then don't bother searching for your baby, he probably sucks like his dad.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
everyone who plays fallout 4 is a canaphobic and i must ask you kindly to stop playing it because it's rude to me and my fellow canadian posters.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

bigotry against canadians is only one item on the long list of todd's heinous crimes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Halser posted:

big dinosaurs? Like the Triscenes from TFTD?

They're called Salamandrons I believe, I think they may be unique to this modpack. UFOPEDIA unfortunately doesn't have an image so I'll try to capture one next time I see them, but they're like sectopods but a T-rex

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bigotry against canadians is only one item on the long list of todd's heinous crimes

i have had no opinion on todd howard because i don't care about bethesda games but now i hope he is destroyed (gently)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm Québécois and most canadians are not as good as robots.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

everyone who plays fallout 4 is a canaphobic and i must ask you kindly to stop playing it because it's rude to me and my fellow canadian posters.

That's why it's my favorite game

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
They need to make a viva new Vegas mod that's just one click from the workshop

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Playing more Dying Light 2 and the game is vastly improved. I would say it is good now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man the secrets in Remnant 2 are insane.

The secrets and puzzles are what elevate the game from just being a really good looter shooter into a truly great game.