Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've decided to be merciful, anybody with noodlebrain psi defense gets transferred to be the ablative guard corp of a satellite manufacturing base, as opposed to the usual field execution. There awaits a gauss rifle, 2 magazines, and all the hi-ex they can eat as they pray they're never needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

They need to make a viva new Vegas mod that's just one click from the workshop

nexus has one click viva new vegas modlists as long as you upgrade to the paid subscription tier :twisted:

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good

Grapplejack posted:

https://twitter.com/garrynewman/status/1783572282562032090

RIP to everything in the workshop because garry is both completely braindead and insanely prideful and is going to go through with this instead of admitting he got owned by babys first phish

DaysBefore posted:

I posted on the Facepunch forums long enough to believe garry absolutely owned himself
wasn’t garry a goon

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

PantsandCola posted:

wasn’t garry a goon

another successful goon project

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ded redd posted:

another successful goon project

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

mm-nintendo.com? cmon guy

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

nexus has one click viva new vegas modlists as long as you upgrade to the paid subscription tier :twisted:

ill just never uninstall my copy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

I'm gonna start a new vegas playthrough with my wife tomorrow because she wants to branch out and try new types of games

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Bro Dad posted:

I just use auto hot key and let it run over night

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I'm gonna start a new vegas playthrough with my wife tomorrow because she wants to branch out and try new types of games

Is there a co-op mod for FNV? How would that work?

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
when facepunch forums was still around garry basically made it free something awful because he stole all the smilies

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

They need to make a viva new Vegas mod that's just one click from the workshop

I reinstalled fnv for a leisurely playthrough where I stream to my ma 'cause we watched the fallout show together and she was interested in seeing the games after I kept doing leopointing.jpg at all the references in the show. and I figured I should do viva new vegas because I remember frequent bugs, stuttering, the occasional crash, etc, as is the classic new vegas experience, and surely "oh woops the game broke again haha one sec" is the best way to kill enjoyment of such. so I went over there, and the installation it promises is not hard, but it's still like five loving pages with at least two dozen steps per page which took me a couple hours

at least I finished the process and it's been perfectly stable so far, just finished up in nipton, knock on wood

One More Fat Nerd posted:

didja never play single-player games together with a sibling or something as a kid

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I beat the Deathclaw and now the real game begins. For now, I need to a doctor because I got infested with parasites. Must have been drinking the river water.

Should I be travelling everywhere in Power Armor?

Let her do the choices and tell us about it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

I beat the Deathclaw and now the real game begins. For now, I need to a doctor because I got infested with parasites. Must have been drinking the river water.

Should I be travelling everywhere in Power Armor?

not until you have a network of settlements so you can make repairs and store fusion cores.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Nope I'm just gonna teach her how to play and offer to help when she gets annoyed with the "shooting parts" which has been the major barrier keeping from playing anything of this sort before. Tbh I think VATS is probably the best combat system you could pick for someone that doesn't like the stress of combat since you can pause and call your shots.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Hell I like VATS cause it looks cool and bullet time is fun. I wish it was really good instead of janky but i find the concept interesting. You can sort of play it RPG-style like fallout 1/2 in first person.

e: A first person remake of fallout 2 would own actually, drat. Never happening

palindrome has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Apr 27, 2024

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

apparently there is
https://wiki.nv-mp.com/en/getting-started

a friend showed it to me but I didn't look too deep into it because New Vegas is better in my memory than in reality.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nope I'm just gonna teach her how to play and offer to help when she gets annoyed with the "shooting parts" which has been the major barrier keeping from playing anything of this sort before. Tbh I think VATS is probably the best combat system you could pick for someone that doesn't like the stress of combat since you can pause and call your shots.

I don't think it's a coincidence that all the VATS perks require a lot of intelligence
gives you a lot of skill points so you can enjoy passing skill checks and combat is just a thing you click through.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

PantsandCola posted:

wasn’t garry a goon

PantsandCola posted:

when facepunch forums was still around garry basically made it free something awful because he stole all the smilies

Yup. Then he shut it down because it didn't make him any money lol. Even had a knock off FYAD but it got closed when shortly after he added tagging people to posts someone fogured how to tag every user on the forum to a thread of a gif of someone shooting themself with a shotgun

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There is actually a New Vegas multiplayer mod but can't imagine it's stable

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol nintendo copied garrys mod and now theyre coming to finish the job...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

World War Mammories posted:

you know how the opening cutscene in fallout 1 includes a recording of a couple american soldiers executing a helpless canadian prisoner and then laughing and waving at the camera? a couple weeks ago bethesda’s lead writer tweeted “hey, little-known connection between fallout 1 and fallout 4: the male protagonist in 4 is the guy watching his fellow soldier execute a guy in that cutscene! neat, huh?” before backtracking when he realized that he had just made the guy a war criminal. so the gag is that fallout 4’s nate really loving hates canadians

it was also explicitly a joke but first world Gamers(tm) who get their politics from playing Fallout New Vegas literally couldn't understand it because Todd Howard Holodomored New Vegas.

World War Mammories posted:

I reinstalled fnv for a leisurely playthrough where I stream to my ma 'cause we watched the fallout show together and she was interested in seeing the games after I kept doing leopointing.jpg at all the references in the show. and I figured I should do viva new vegas because I remember frequent bugs, stuttering, the occasional crash, etc, as is the classic new vegas experience, and surely "oh woops the game broke again haha one sec" is the best way to kill enjoyment of such. so I went over there, and the installation it promises is not hard, but it's still like five loving pages with at least two dozen steps per page which took me a couple hours

at least I finished the process and it's been perfectly stable so far, just finished up in nipton, knock on wood

didja never play single-player games together with a sibling or something as a kid

You also forget that the VNV installation is for people who want to use it as a stable jumping off point for modding. Its a bit verbose but very useful if you want to tinker with things.

Tankbuster has issued a correction as of 11:28 on Apr 27, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I had to stop playing dying light 2 last night because I heard a noise outside in the dark and was a bit freaked.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Lmao Tarkov and Nikita

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I had to stop playing dying light 2 last night because I heard a noise outside in the dark and was a bit freaked.

before you die tell Al I said hi and I miss him

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

it was also explicitly a joke but first world Gamers(tm) who get their politics from playing Fallout New Vegas literally couldn't understand it because Todd Howard Holodomored New Vegas.

How was it a joke

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

before you die tell Al I said hi and I miss him

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Didn't do much videogames last night because I had a lovely annoying day and felt bad and decided to sleep for 12 hours instead, which turns out to have been the correct choice.

However, I do have one brief Wasteland update:

PROTON AX

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Tankbuster posted:

You also forget that the VNV installation is for people who want to use it as a stable jumping off point for modding. Its a bit verbose but very useful if you want to tinker with things.

todd explicitly told him to tweet it because he (todd) loves war crimes and doing war crimes and that the guy subsequently said it wasn’t canon is just another example of how todd is a coward not willing to stand up for the things he loves (war crimes and doing war crimes)

The Chad Jihad posted:

How was it a joke

he put the nerd emoji at the end of the tweet
https://twitter.com/Dezinuh/status/1779178683841790068
then this is what he tweeted afterward
🧵(1/3) Oof. I wanted to share what I thought was a cool Fallout tidbit without realizing how divisive it might be. I should have. I get dumb when I get excited… and I get excited a lot. 😬 Not every bit of Fallout info I share is automatically canon. Nate is NOT a war criminal!
(2/3) When you're world and character building, you have a LOT of head canon. You're always sorting ideas. Early on, we talked about that being Nate, in that video. He had been through hell as a soldier. Every day was another unknown horror. This was one of them.
(3/3) So, internally, it was a cool nod to OG Fallout and a way to fictionally frame the character. It wasn't shared with the player because it was never meant to be who YOU think Nate is. For a player, Nate's soldier past is whatever you think it is. THAT is canon.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I mean it might have actually been interesting if he were a war criminal and how he reconciled that with the world he helped create but w/e

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

let me be clear nate is NOT a war criminal *huffs five narcotics shotguns a guy's head into mush and feasts on his corpse*

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Buck Wildman posted:

I mean it might have actually been interesting if he were a war criminal and how he reconciled that with the world he helped create but w/e

I mean that depends on how you play it. I did a "nate is a manchurian candidate", downloaded a soviet power armor and went around going DIDI MAO.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

either way it's thinking harder on the subject than I think they ever intended

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao Tarkov and Nikita

People are so loving mad, including me lol

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

some idiot new guy in the writer's room brought this up and todd immediately devoured him in a single gulp. he didn't even have time to scream before being crushed by the nuclear bezoars in todd's crop

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Son of Sorrow posted:

People are so loving mad, including me lol

Everyone should be. It is super lovely. Russians ftw

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It would have been kind of interesting if the family man who managed to survive the apocalypse was a war criminal, cowardly of them not to stick to their guns

Their guns, of course, which were used for summary executions

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

people crying that the fallout 4 protag was "turned" into a war criminal is pretty loving lol when fallout 3 is basically the least subtle of the fallout games about US troops being drugged up war criminals

anyway i hope we still get more absurd poo poo like wanamingos being a zetan experiment, the negative response to doing funny retcons like that sucks rear end

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
anyone who didn't already think the US military, in Fallout or otherwise, wasn't already filled to overflowing with war criminals just hasn't been paying attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
They didn't have that gun to stick to during FO4's development because that wasn't something the writing team actually thought of at the time. It was something that dumbass brought up now because he has terminal nerd-brain and he wanted to capitalize on his IP being in the zeitgeist.