Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
heat finally got to him...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
points for sticking with it, I guess

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I’ll keep making fun of Todd Howard but I also want him to never stop.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

heat finally got to him...

letr him cook

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol if they try to rip off No Man's Sky's development arc too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It would be nice if the game got good for sure

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

did no man's sky invent the idea of a space game

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I spent a while in FF14 tonight.

Instead of continuing the MSQ or doing the various raid quests I haven't done, I decided to fish. I spent a very long time trying to figure out how to catch a "Titanic Sawfish." I succeeded in the end, but the next objective fish required some other fish that apparently has both a time and weather requirement.

I also finished the Stormblood fishing quests (my Fisher is actually level 81, but was behind on the quests).

I messed around a little with combat. I feel like there are just too many dang buttons for a lot of jobs.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

ff14 combat probably appeals to people who memorize k-pop dance routines for their tiktok

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

I messed around a little with combat. I feel like there are just too many dang buttons for a lot of jobs.
it's ture
legit the best classes in ff14 for me are
scholar: 1.5 button dps rotation, but has 30 buttons for every niche situation you could possibly think of. not things you use often, but things you keep in your pocket in case you might need them. easy to play but fun to optimize in harder content
dancer: 4 button dps rotation, 2 ogcd fillers, has a dodge button, unlike most classes where cooldowns just give you slightly bigger numbers, the cooldowns are just gigantic numbers themselves. easy to play but fun to optimize in harder content
black mage: 6 button dps rotation with big explosions, has some optimization extras to squeeze out more dps when you can't just sit down and longcast. easy to play but fun to optimize in harder content

most classes feel like it makes you use 10+ buttons just for what is glorified autoattacks, with 2 minute cooldowns that give +5% dps and it loving sucks

JainDoh posted:

ff14 combat probably appeals to people who memorize k-pop dance routines for their tiktok
ff14 is very much good in spite of the mmo combat, not because of it imo. the fights are really well done and the audio/video presentation is insane, but some classes play much better than others, and i really wish yoship lifted combat out of a good game instead of wow

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

JainDoh posted:

Yes, it is like playing piano on my keyboard

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

they don't have the work ethic to do that, it'll take them 10 years to release 3 small dlcs

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
seems like a great place to work tbh. 10 years, 3 small DLCs and decent job security.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

Chicago is generally portayed as a very cursed location in a lot of sci fi fiction. I've never really understood why beyond possibly coastal contempt

It's widely seen as the "birthplace" of organized crime in America because of Al Capone, regardless of how true that is

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

rudecyrus posted:

What sucks is that it's not (or it wasn't) the Nazi fanwank it appears to be: At some point the timeline diverges from our own (FDR only has two terms, Mao dies, Bukharin becomes leader of the USSR instead of Stalin, etc.) which results in the present situation -- you can argue it's still unrealistic, but at least it's not "Germany won due to its superior Aryan intellect and strength, HOORAY". Plus, the overall narrative attempts to be somewhat realistic: Germany is secretly headed for a collapse due to stagnation from lack of conquest, an overreliance on slave labor, and the state being run by bickering factions held in check by an increasingly senile Hitler -- in fact, it erupts into civil war shortly after he kicks the bucket. Japan is a house of cards because its government is almost totally dysfunctional (the ruling political party is plagued with infighting and corruption scandals) and its economic reliance on stripping its colonies of raw materials and crushing any attempts to form an independent industry has created much discontent, not to mention the fact any disruption in the supply chain means disaster (which is what happens). The USA has a ton of mechanics and variables that can send it down many different paths, from fascism to communism and everything inbetween.

It seemed like there was actual thought behind it, but then the lead devs left or got doxxed and now it's a dumpster fire.

Yup. Devs got way too into their own thing. Removing Atlantropa to make lore work better ftmfl because none of it makes sense. It's a choose your own adventure in an even worse alternate history not Lord of Himmler's Rings lol

Oh I thought he was 100% done after Starfield. Cool I guess, maybe one day I'll reinstall it once the Nexus perverts have their toolkit

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Zokari posted:

did no man's sky invent the idea of a space game

Yes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Todd is a top 5 all time great. Want to see him keep doing what he loves.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

Todd is a top 5 all time great. Want to see him keep doing what he loves.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

JainDoh posted:

Yeah, the fight choreography is great and fun to learn

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Todd is a top 5 all time great. Want to see him keep doing what he loves (war crimes).

Ytlaya posted:

I spent a while in FF14 tonight.

Instead of continuing the MSQ or doing the various raid quests I haven't done, I decided to fish. I spent a very long time trying to figure out how to catch a "Titanic Sawfish." I succeeded in the end, but the next objective fish required some other fish that apparently has both a time and weather requirement.

I also finished the Stormblood fishing quests (my Fisher is actually level 81, but was behind on the quests).

every expansion is a little weird because jobs are already approximately at the highest possible number of abilities they should have, so even as new things get added, others have to be culled to stay at that number

it’s also interesting to see complaints like yours when yoship has recently said he regrets making the game too frictionless/not stressful enough, and some meaningful chunk of players have complained that classes are too samey. like, complaints about the “two minute meta” where every class has an overlapping burst window in that timeframe - but that exists because some classes used to be 90 seconds or 3 minutes, which made optimizing for dps checks weird, so the devs centered around two minutes explicitly because of player feedback. one thinks of that simpsons thing about a realistic down-to-earth show that’s off the wall. I’m still gonna pay for my slop regardless of what this design philosophy looks like in dawntrail, because I’m a clapping seal, but it’s interesting

also, regarding fishing, I will never ever take off the title <Of Dragons Deep>. if you’re really hosed Up: https://ff14fish.carbuncleplushy.com/

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, the fight choreography is great and fun to learn

I play with a fella who also does drum corps stuff, memorizing and executing steps etc as a group, and he says it’s basically the same. executing things like hello world in o12s, light rampant in e8s, or pangenesis in p12s makes my brain feel enormous

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Docbeard:

I have never had the patience to kill the night terror in Finsters brain, doesn't it give some stupid amount of XP?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Docbeard:

I have never had the patience to kill the night terror in Finsters brain, doesn't it give some stupid amount of XP?

Yeah, me either, but I decided this was the day and it definitely wasn't because I forgot what a slog it was before I was committed, don't let anyone ever tell you different.

And yeah, it drops 32,000 xp (or 64,000 for a melee kill). I think I got like five levels afterwards on an already high-level character. Melee's definitely the way to do it too, if your Brawl score is high enough (Mine was 4 and didn't go up once during that drat fight lol, but that's still 3 attacks per round for about 60-80 damage per hit with the Proton Ax if it connects). With Pseudo-Chitin armor (one set drops in an encounter out in the terraformed experimental landscape) it can't do poo poo to you.

Macroing the attack sequence is definitely the way to go here.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DaysBefore posted:

Yup. Devs got way too into their own thing. Removing Atlantropa to make lore work better ftmfl because none of it makes sense. It's a choose your own adventure in an even worse alternate history not Lord of Himmler's Rings lol

Oh I thought he was 100% done after Starfield. Cool I guess, maybe one day I'll reinstall it once the Nexus perverts have their toolkit

Maybe they're keeping development going to keep Todd Howard away from everything else

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

is there a vivanewvegas equivalent for fo1 & 2?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there is at the minimum a fan-patch for FO2 that restores cut content

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's some good narrative ones. Sonora for FO2 is good and has an English translation, moves the setting to Mexico/border area

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

This is Star Citizen erasure. Speaking of which how is that going?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I'm not super familiar with the landscape these days but both games have fanpatches and there are some total conversion mods floating around too.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

sullat posted:

amazing. goty

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

sullat posted:

The next update will let you cargo onto your spaceship manually. Big things ahead

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

The next update will let you cargo onto your spaceship manually. Big things ahead

space forklift

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

space forklift

They did actually release this on April Fools lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i would really like Helldivers 2 to allow me to run, crouch, lay prone, and dive on the ship. this is extremely important for the future of super earth. thank you.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

They did actually release this on April Fools lol

it should be real

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was cool to see the cut content restored, but some of it got left in the cutting room floor for a reason, I feel.

Kinda like the KOTOR 2 cut content, that HK factory was miserable

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

it should be real

Oh woops it was a street sweeper lol. Whatever

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the ultra hard difficulty of Death Stranding should make it so that you have to manually unload the packages from the truck and put them on the conveyor belt that accepts the packages. this would be tedious and do nothing to improve the game. thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9QD25nakt8

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the ultra hard difficulty of Death Stranding should make it so that you have to manually unload the packages from the truck and put them on the conveyor belt that accepts the packages. this would be tedious and do nothing to improve the game. thanks.

I'd bet anything that Kojima very reluctantly added the auto-sort cargo option in the loadout menu after he got feedback from playtesters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'd bet anything that Kojima very reluctantly added the auto-sort cargo option in the loadout menu after he got feedback from playtesters

i want to have to climb into the back of the truck to get the packages that are in the back.