Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

I wouldn't bother with Chained Echoes. Not great in either the story or gameplay but the lack of originality in its hamfisted references and bits that ripped off prior games, those were what made me hate it.

Any other Chained Echoes opinions? I was seriously considering this for a 'classic' RPG fix, but Im also not opposed to just playing another XCOM campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

- Pillars of Eternity 2 Obsidian Edition

I tried very hard to like PoE2 but couldn't get into it and ended up putting it down maybe 2/3rds in

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I had the same problem with Tyranny that I had with PoE2. I need a 'good' faction I can identify with because my power fantasy is helping people. I don't want 'everyone is bad' gritty realism. Gimme unrealistic infantile heroism

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

In tabletop, my brother literally won't play anything but halflings anymore. He's played since '89 and has lost so many characters to 1's on saves that he's traumatized, lol.

Critical failures on 1s isnt a canon mechanic, and any DM who is killing characters because of 1s is either running a great game where everyone is having fun because they all agreed that critical failures make for higher stakes and fun stories, or they're an rear end in a top hat and bad DM. One of those two. Also, like every other game mechanic, critical failures punish martials more than anyone else because they roll more d20s

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Im implementing fully automated luxury space communism in Stellaris by playing a rogue servitor and annexing every organic empire and moving their populations into sanctuaries on ring worlds

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DrManiac posted:

FF16's writing is starting to piss me off. they are doing my girls' Jill and Shiva dirty by making her job to literally everything. She jobbed in her own character arc and then immediately jobbed to Kupka out of nowhere without a fight

It never gets any better. Worse actually

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I haven’t played stellaris in years since I found the whole loop of slowly expanding and manually upgrading infrastructure until getting sidetracked by forced wars and stuff kinda frustrating but I keep hearing the expansions have changed that and what you’re describing sounds hella cool

which stellaris DLCs are best? I am unemployed and terminally depressed right now so I could use a good 4x but can’t afford to buy all of them I think

In my opinion, Utopia, Synthetic Dawn, Distant Stars, and Ancient Relics are the good ones. Leviathans, the new one Galactic Paragons, and Federations are tier 2. Everything else is niche. The base game has changed massively in the last two or three years too.

Steam has a bundle with a few core DLCs in it right now if youve got cash to burn. Its an ok 'waste an evening optimizing' things game that hits similar to but slightly different from Civ, but not quite as convoluted as Hearts of Iron

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Thinking about going back to playing Baldur's Gate, but then I'm remembering the part where I would be playing Baldur's Gate.

I think this every six months or so

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

They're relocalizing clock tower 1

https://youtu.be/ZMzM9J20MOU

Neat. I played Clock Tower on the PS1 as a kid, which I guess is Clock Tower 2? Memory says it was creepier than Resident Evil but also made even less sense. It seems like something that would work better as a side scroller than a 3D game

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I want that game to go full jrpg and end with slapping god

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Augus posted:

started playing armored core: for answer on emulator
all the customization and stats were pretty overwhelming at first but it’s really satisfying to experiment with different parts to get past a tough mission.
can’t wait for AC6

Weapons with ammo are a trap

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have the kind of brain that makes characters for Baldur's Gate and even thinks of party compositions (a bad brain) but doesnt want to actually play Baldur's Gate again (a good brain)

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I booted up Icewind Dale 2 a few weeks ago and had to back away from the screen. Gigantic Fisher-Price rear end UI. Luckily theres a resolution mod for that too.

I play RPGs with my wife watching, and she needs subtitles to be able to follow along. Unfortunately, while a lot of games do have subtitles they often don't have any scaling for the subtitle text, so I have to play in low resolution to make the text readable. We're playing through Dragon Age 2 in glorious 1024x768.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Halls of Torment has too much thinking. You have to look at stats on level up and think about what they do. VS simplifies everything to little icons that are easy to learn. The candelabra makes areas bigger. The spinach does more damage. You can just turn your brain off and cruise. And even when new concepts get added it's slow and intuitive enough to still not require any real thought

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 09:51 on Jul 14, 2023

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

What the gently caress was going on with that company in the 2000s?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jagged Alliance 3 is good

How XCOM is it?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Not even a meter tall? Her being giant sized is like 90% of the appeal!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

and you can mod the XCOM back in

Well now Im interested! This a Steam Workshop thing or a Nexus thing?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

the hands should have the cheater removed; the hands are blameless in this, hostages if anything

behead them imho

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

the kind of objet d'art that screams "the camera is steadily panning across this during the establishing shot because the movie's antagonist is going to get stuck through it during the final confrontation"

Its a Final Destination prop for a mid movie kill

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The horniness for the large Resident Evil vampire lady was always confusing to me and basically reminded me that there's a large variety of tastes and preferences in the world. IMO vampire lady was the only Village character who was actually creepy in a similar way to the family from the previous game. Large lady who eats blood all the time is just not sexy IMO, but it is a creepy concept. She might have big boobs/butt, but they're hosed up undead boobs/butt - gross! The other characters were "kind of funny looking fish man," "lady with kinda on-the-nose Spooky Dolls," "a guy who is just sorta annoying," and "a lady who is obviously evil." Only the large lady pulls off the contrast between "normal" and "gross/violent" that made the characters from the previous game spooky.

(I'm not pretending to not know the character names, I'm just on my phone so I can't easily look them up. I just remember vampire lady is Dim-something)

People based their reactions to her entirely on trailers and previews, where she was just a large pale buxom scary lady with little to no characterization. Large pale buxom scary ladies check some people's boxes. Video games are a land of mystery.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Robo Reagan posted:

the true final evil of mass effect is the loving council

If you let them live then its on you

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yet another game where mines are op and have to be nerfed

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Someone help me make a decision: Rogue, Paladin or Bard for BG3?

Yes I know Asterion exists but hes too edgy for me to tolerate

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

FF16 HOT TAKE

So I'm watching a FF16 video essay because ... anyways I heard the following plot reduction and I need to know if it's true. Like I've seen enough screenshots and takes to understand that slavery is just kinda a bunch of times in the background and is treated just as mindlessly at moogle.

"The goal of the game is to kill god to destroy the crystals effectively ending magic, with magic users being who are currently enslaved... eeeehhhh I can't help but see that as 'killing god to make black people white' . I know it isn't what the game is saying, but that it is a possible reading is just goes to show these old japanese dudes were waaay out of their depth"

I need to know from someone I can trust: is that foreal?

Either way it sounds like an incredible final fantasy. Years from now I'll crack open that tome.

Magic also slowly kills the people who use it by petrifying them. Even the super powerful dudes who decide to kill god fall prey to magic's toxic effects. So its not a quest to exterminate the special characteristics of a designated slave caste so that everyone is the same, its a quest to destroy a malignant force that destroys its users and the world itself. There is no 'safe' use of magic where a responsible mage class could exist in a utopia outside of the corrupt power structures that dominate the world.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Hatebag posted:

I played a few hours of pillars of eternity 1 a few years ago but found it boring. Maybe i should take another run at it some time. Or is 2 better?

1 has the better story and setting. 2 has more refined systems, but the world is just relentlessly awful

e: sailing around on ships and shooting people is fun though. Good pirate game, bad political philosophy

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

gith makes sense but drow also has a vitiligo slider

They all have that. Its a nice touch that probably cost very little time to implement

Al! posted:

wheres the revitiligo slider????

Last slider in the 'general' menu

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Hitting things hard isn't boring. It's certainly the least important part of the game too.

Most of your time will be spent on walking around and jumping anyway.

The game is easily more than 50% exploration and talking to people. You need to build for face skills because talky bits are really important, and you need at least one person who is good at perception.

As for warlock, I really wish great old one didn't have relatively terrible spells and abilities because it's the best flavor. Fiend is just so good.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I didnt get the update and they hacked my car!

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Kirby converts matter to energy at 100% efficiency, but he can *choose* to retain some matter to projectile vomit at enemies.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

triple sulk posted:

ff9 would maybe be a good game if they fixed the combat and 2/3rds most of the cast not poo poo

FF9 should have been Vivi's story, and Black Waltz should have been the villain. Zidane, Kuja, and Garland and their leech planet plot were dumb. Also keep summons a relevant part of the story.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

lmao, its the space future dipshit

E: I admit he does have a point about being boring. Where are all the gene mod cat enbys at?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

we’re gonna see some WILD Starfield mods

Nix Panicus posted:

E: I admit he does have a point about being boring. Where are all the gene mod cat enbys at?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Is the new Cyberpunk good? I skipped it on release but its on sale now and rumor is that its good?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Is there a new Suzerain update? Did they make it easier or harder to usher in a communist utopia?

I got frustrated with the game when every attempt ended in a military coup, but I didnt want to go the authoritarian route so I could purge them

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Windows 11 has a cool notepad upgrade that gives you tabs. Its great.

That concludes the positive things I have to say about Windows 11. I downgraded back to Win 10.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pathfinder is a game about stacking bonuses to infinity. It was made that way on purpose. The Pathfinder video game attempts to take that into account with stacked encounters to offer some challenge. If you're not into stacking bonuses to infinity there is no shame in lowering the difficulty, and its honestly recommended. Its still a good game and enjoyable story even if you aren't doing several hundred damage per round.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

oh this is great though it looks like it now deletes all my saves except the exit save when I quit the game and reopen

I'm so glad I didn't pay for this game

ironman mode unlocked

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I have an older Radeon RX 590, are there any settings for Cyberpunk that I should be fiddling with to maximize performance? I have it set to generic 'High' settings and it looks ok and gets around ~50fps most of the time

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Is punching someone considered a blunt weapon in Cyberpunk? I can already tell Im going to hate using guns, so its either hacks or melee. Maybe sneaking and throwing knives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

evilmiera posted:

I've 100 percented every main bethgame after Daggerfall. Morrowind was mostly cool, Oblivion was a bowl of lumpy porridge disguised as a videogame, Skyrim was ok but shallow and the Fallout games were ok.

Out of those Morrowind and Starfield are probably my favorites because they actually had something to say and the former had the memorable music.

lmao