Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Augus posted:

the cup noodles sidequest is a masterpiece

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Did they keep the whole "Halflings reroll all 1's" thing from tabletop 5e in Baldurs Gate 3? If so its gonna be real hard for me to convince myself not to play a Halfling. Probably a Bard.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

In tabletop, my brother literally won't play anything but halflings anymore. He's played since '89 and has lost so many characters to 1's on saves that he's traumatized, lol.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
WARNING! A CHAOS DUNK IS IMMINENT!

https://twitter.com/LasVegasLocally/status/1677365165719969792?s=20

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

when does barkley 2 come out

It does not.

:smith:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

uber_stoat posted:

slurp juice.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Nix Panicus posted:

Critical failures on 1s isnt a canon mechanic, and any DM who is killing characters because of 1s is either running a great game where everyone is having fun because they all agreed that critical failures make for higher stakes and fun stories, or they're an rear end in a top hat and bad DM. One of those two. Also, like every other game mechanic, critical failures punish martials more than anyone else because they roll more d20s

I'm pretty sure 1's autofailed saving throws, which is what killed all my brothers characters, in both 2e and 3.X (though not in 5e). I can't remember 2e well enough to know if that was an actual rule, or if the save tables just never got to 1 for any given class/save.

I also just remembered how 2e saving throws were broken up and now I'm just kinda staring off into the middle distance.

Augus posted:

what game is he from

Bionic Commando (NES)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1677686353218371584?s=20

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

one ha ha ha two ha ha ha three ha ha ha four ha ha hs. four! thats four orgasms bleh

:lmao:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

I did the ffxvi demo and idk, the gradual transition from pixel-sprite / low poly turn based party crpg of my youth to slick anime cgi single character arpg has been weird and off-putting to me.

I want to like it but if the rest of the game is 20 minute cutscenes followed by 5 minutes of arpg button mashing in a small circular arena maybe I should wait for a sale.

whoever called it Devil May Clive got it imo. it feels fun zipping around doing chain dodges and stuff but that's kinda not why I wanted a ff game

If you want a good, fairly recent pixel RPG, I recommend Chained Echoes. I played it recently and really enjoyed it. Fairly well written, lots of twists and turns, combat system was interesting, reminded me strongly of Chrono Trigger (in a good way).

Right now I'm going through the FFX remaster, the early part of the game has a much higher cutscene:gameplay ratio than I remember. The voice acting is actually less cringe than I thought the first time, though??? I think knowing the twist makes the stulted delivery of a lot of the cast make more sense. None of them want to actually admit whats going on, in general, but especially around Tidus, who genuinely doesn't know. So they pick their words super carefully so nobody has to admit that they're the delivery crew for a human sacrifice.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

Thanks! Also I've watched but never beaten FFX, maybe I'll return to that in the meantime in between checking out echoes.

It, along with FF7R, the X-2 remaster, and a bunch of other stuff are free for anybody with I think the lvl 2 Playstation Plus subscription thing?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Lpzie posted:

anyone for some battlebits?

Will they call the eighth Battlebits, Battlebytes? Only time will tell.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I really hate this trend of celebrity stunt casting in vidcons.

https://twitter.com/DeMickyD/status/1678819542561169409?s=20

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Tunnelsnakefool/status/1679040900729815040?s=20

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

They'd need to rebalance some of the side systems imo, simple remaster not enough

Make spheda playable in balance valley at minimum

I hope they'd also revamp the whole "taking pictures of random poo poo to get invention ideas" so engaging with it doesn't more or less require having GameFaqs open at all times.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

god its been so long since i played dark souls 1 that i had to install a resolution mod to play it

I booted up Icewind Dale 2 a few weeks ago and had to back away from the screen. Gigantic Fisher-Price rear end UI. Luckily theres a resolution mod for that too.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

looking at a guide to install viva new vegas, my eyes glaze over and I decide to just not play new vegas.

What does Viva New Vegas do? I am hungry for more New Vegas.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Frog Act posted:

looking forward to the respec guy because I completely forgot finesse existed and built my bard the way I do in NWN which is predicated on a specific intersection of fighter levels and eventually ten Red Dragon Disciple levels, so they focus on STR to maximize melee benefits while drawing free spell bonuses from RDD. there’s no equivalent to that really, though college of valor is obviously close and what I intend to do, so I reckon I need to respec back to something more generically Bard with a high DEX and focus on finesse martial weapons after level 3

is there any circumstance where you’d want to try STR bard? can you multi class effectively? I often like fighter bard for the protection spells, bless/bane, and all the weapon enhancements which don’t require any real casting capacity and considerably improved melee in NWN at least

I think Bard starts with rapier, which is p. much the best finesse melee weapon in 5e.

A few levels in fighter could be nice, depending on level cap. Archery fighting style is good, Action Surge might be the most powerful ability in the game, even if its only 1/Short Rest. If you take 3 levels and go battle master fighter you can add neat effects to your attacks so you're not just doing damage when you're meleeing.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Oof that actually makes multiclassing Bard rough. Magical Secrets at lvl 10 is huge.

I haven't looked at the rule differences for BG3, so maybe thats not the same?

*Magical Secrets lets you learn two spells of any level you can cast (so 1st-5th at 10th lvl) from any classes spell list.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

It's always been badly represented in the video games but yes. tabletop wise being level 10 makes you one of the most powerful people in the setting and 20 is basically a demigod

I think elminster was like level 13 in 3.5

In 3e, Elminster is 35th level. 1/rogue 2/fighter 3/cleric 24/wizard 5/archmage.

Some settings tend to have mostly lower level characters, but Faerun specifically has major power creep. I think one of Elminsters girlfriends was like 45th level in 3e.

Efb:

Eberron may be the setting you're thinking of with nearly no high level characters.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Fuligin posted:

I liked 4e but goons have overhyped it quite a bit over the years. Its obviously true that Larian has put serious work into rebalancing 5e but... ultimately it's still 5e. That thing you like is fifth edition dungeons and dragons.

It kinda helps to think about the 4e edition warrior folks like the edition wars were an actual war that they lost and now they all have PTSD. I'm not even trying to condescend or be funny, thinking about it like this genuinely helps me understand some of the behavior I see.

Also kinda helps to understand that many of them did not like the mechanics of any pre-4e version of D&D either.

My wife really likes to watch along with games like BG3, so I am jealously reading about everyone else playing it while I sit, playing through POE II: Deadfire (free on PS Premium), waiting for BG3 to come out on PS5 in a month.

Turn based mode in Deadfire feels so much better than RTWP felt in POE 1. I hope RTWP is dead forever.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/PunishedMarxist/status/1688615016642019328?s=20

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

I see you have also been within 1000 ft of a Smash Bros tournament.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Everyone just gonna see this one where a dude is drinking his own breast milk and not even comment? The rest of these were stupid but comprehensible but this one is just deranged.

Edit:

Like I'm giggling at it but its the sort of giggle you make when you realize you're in a room with an actual lunatic.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've never had a tabletop group get into anything remotely sexual in years of playing D&D and maybe that makes me a prude but it's made BG3 and everyone gushing about how horny it is extremely unrelatable

I have the same experience with DnD and I just assume anyone posting about their romantic/sexual DnD adventures would have been LARPing VtM if this was the '00s.

Those groups were pretty much just polycules with character sheets.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Does bg3 rebalance monks at all? Because I remember them being pretty crap in 5e.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

RandolphCarter posted:

I don’t have to spend a minute casting a dozen buffs before every fight in bg3 so it is infinitely better

The combo of the concentration and advantage mechanics in 5e clean up the system so much, its crazy.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i thought poe 1 was? i bounced off that game after clearing the big dungeon under the castle you get

POE 1 and Kingmaker were both rtwp on release. Kingmaker eventually got a patch that enabled turn-based mode, and POE 1 had a very popular turn-based community mod, which inspired them to have turn-based mode as an option in POE 2.

(I think)

Y'know what I really wish would release in the US?

EDF 6. Been waiting on that for like a year.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Gonna make a dragonborn sorcerer with the dragon blood archetype, name him Jimmy Lee cause he's a Double Dragon.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

HerraS posted:

even by rpg standards doo & doo combat is not in any way "deadly as gently caress" lmao

Try Deadlands! Now thats a ttrpg you can get killed in!

(Yes, I know you can die during character creation in Traveler, I just like Deadlands).

Also:

https://twitter.com/ExileGrimm/status/1689820619133616128?s=20

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Popy posted:

if ur losing a encounter in DnD just roll better

:hai:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

who the gently caress wants to be a loving halfling?

Based on this tweet, basically nobody:

https://twitter.com/baldursgate3/status/1690016562575454210?s=20

I'm really surprised the most popular classes ended up being Paladin/Sorcerer/Warlock. I guess folks just love the Charisma based characters.

Paladin probably also gets a bonus from being mechanically strong in 5e, but Cleric is also pretty strong and nobody wants to be one of those losers.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

this has been true since 2e lol

I remember trying to play Pools of Radiance without cheating my stats in character creation and it was a nightmare.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Truga posted:

again, this is just bad campaigns/DMing

if your DM fails to give you challenging encounters there's nothing a ruleset can do to fix it. i guess many people like it because most content out there is built like that tho

pretty sure this is still the case in 5e lol. cat probably does like 2 damage on average and has high dexterity so it starts first and hits with 2 claws and a bite per turn? unless the wizard murders it in first round he's a deadman

Cats in 5e have 2hp and have one attack for 1 damage. The wizard smooshes the cat with any attack cantrip.

In 2e/3e they were nastier but still got murked by a magic missile from a wizard. It was the lvl 1 commoner in 3.x who would usually lose to a housecat.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Before it's time and would have killed during this modern era where you had a big influx of new people coming into tabletop gaming who mostly had experience with video games

I dont think the podcast thing would have worked as well with 4e, given that it has way more complicated, fiddly, and slower combat than 5e.

Like, for example, Critical Role has 8 players. For me, 4 player 4e was hard to keep track of with all the overlapping short-term effects, has anyone here ever done 8?

Also, 4e doesn't really have any "total newbie" friendly options, which limits the ability to bring new players in. Champion fighter in 5e is not mechanically good, but I have gotten people playing 5e with that class that would have been utterly lost with any 4e character, especially after like 3rd-4th level.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

and they say there's no point to a video game thread in cspam

Who the gently caress says this? Thats the worst possible opinion!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

*Perception: Failed* You see a large cauldron full of wriggling small pastries, like the one the illithid planted in your brain.

:lmao:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Halser posted:

speaking of tabletop and dice rolls, has anyone played high level tabletop D&D?

I remember playing Throne of Bhaal, casting Time Stop with Improved Alacrity and dumping my entire spellbook instantly on a group of enemies. Throwing enough dice to resolve the result of 8 Horrid Wiltings and 14 Magic Missiles must take hours

Had a 3.0 campaign that made it up to 24th or so, it was completely insane and unplayable. The wizard and the cleric both had epic feats that made it so whenever anyone within 100ft cast Time Stop, they also got Time Stop. So every fight started with each of them casting Haste, (which let you cast 2 spells/round in 3.0) then Time Stop, which would let each of them cast 4-10 spells. Then, once Time Stop ended, the other one would cast Time Stop on their turn in the normal turn order, allowing them each another 4-10 spells. So round 1 of any challenging combat was an absurd flurry of 15+ high level spells with DC's in the 30s.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

studs n chuds posted:

ive never found a dm willing to run high-level play. we're always starting at level 3 and closing things out by 10-12. its bullshit

I only have had 2 campaigns run past like 13th, both were in 3.0, one was the time stop fiesta, the other I ruined with an 18th level cleric that broke my DM's will to continue the game.

I had a feat (Persistent spell, I think) that let me make cleric buffs that were normally 1rd/level last 24 hours, making me a better than everyone else at everything, which was making everyone sick of my poo poo already. During a really important fight, I revealed my secret weapon: I had discovered I could access a completely broken spell in the splatbook for Bards, that no one other than me had read.

Clerics 9th level wish equivalent, Miracle, let you copy a spell from any other class that was 7th level or lower, which was fine, EXCEPT, that bard spells worked different, so bards highest level spells, that they got at 18th level, were only 6th level spells. So I used Miracle to request a Fanfare (the broken bard spell), which is an AOE multi-round stun with no saving throw and (if I remember right) no Spell Resistance. So with two Miracles I stunlocked the whole BBEG group for 4 or so rounds and they didnt get to even take a turn before they were all dead.

The DM ended the campaign that night and then I got to run a HERO system campaign that is probably my favorite campaign of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

This is a stupid idea in general because all it does is that if anybody wants to play a fighter they're stuck playing the boring stupid class without anything thay lets actually be fun or useful ecause he's got to be the the "beginner"

Here's what you do for someone new to 4e. You play at level 1. If somehow 4 abilities is too complicated for them then perhaps rpgs aren't for them.

Its only Champion fighter thats super simple in 5e, the other fighter archetypes have more going on. Champion is clearly intended for the player who just wants to say "I shoot/hit that guy" and roll dice. With the right feat choices it can even be fairly effective.

All the fighter at-will abilities in 4e have an equation with a variable in them, as well as (sometimes more than one) if-then statements. 3 out of 4 also have at least one paragraph of text.

As a long term RPG guy, this doesnt sound like much, but I've gotten to play 5e with folks who freeze up trying basic math, but enjoy RP and puzzle solving. They would have 100% bounced off 4e.

There are rules-light systems that would serve those folks better than 5e, but anyone arguing about D&D knows that getting a group to play anything other than D&D is like pulling loving teeth.