Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Grapplejack posted:

they're so fuckin good, the ifrit v ifrit fight isn't shy about just going for it and it rules

That whole sequence is great. Examining your own trauma through the lens of a sick mirror match boss battle within your own mind is cool as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

punished milkman posted:

yeah this took me off guard, the qte’s are fun and improve the already good combat

it's okay for a boss fight to finish with a series of qtes if the visuals are adequately sicknasty

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I bought ff16 full price and have no regrets

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

World War Mammories posted:

this is the magic of michael-christopher koji fox

I kept saying he has to be stopped but now it is too late, he can never be stopped

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's one section of the game that's like that because you're trying to infiltrate a badguy empire posing as a slave and even in that area you get a sidequest where you feed a racist and his racist child to a hungry wolf

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Look even if you don't get to do it yourself the racists get fed to a wolf so I count that

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

i lol every time someone says non-white people don't exist in xvi world

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

like freshly fallen snow

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

loquacius posted:

should my next game after Zelda be Chained Echoes, or should I try running FFIX with its HD mod

I'm nowhere close to finishing Zelda, I just thought I'd ask now because both of those games are on the Steam sale

Hell yeah Chained Echoes rules.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how in ffxvi the character who is said to be blessed with knowledge on the nature of the world turns to the camera and says "you will never enact change by talking, burn this system to the ground."

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Cool. How long does it take before they do something cartoonishly villainous so the audience knows not to side with them?

That statement is made with his dying breath after sacrificing himself to save the protagonist so I think you are meant to side with him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RandolphCarter posted:

I just finished the Alan Wake remaster, is the dlc worth doing? probably gonna replay control next.

If you enjoyed Alan Wake then you will enjoy the DLC chapters.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

lmao why would you use a tiny shield to parry when you can just shoot someone in the face.

I've been finally working my way through Bloodborne. Turns out it's a pretty good game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ytlaya posted:

"a good game," he says

a controversial opinion I know, but I stand by it

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

yo the nightmare frontier fuckin sucks

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hatebag posted:

Go find patches and he'll help you out

he already helped me. twice.

I'm just saying that enemies with frenzy inducing auras and lakes of poison you have to run through are both pretty rude, but having one of those in the other is a bit much

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xaris posted:

sleeping dogs is the best gta game.

don't @ me

actually it's second place behind jak 2

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Remnant 2 coming out soon, looking forward to playing the "has a dog" class.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Remnant 2 is definitely a "more of the same" kinda sequel which is a good thing because Remnanr: From The Ashes was great.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xaris posted:

is there more variety and builds at least? that was my main rub with remnant was a) levels were kinda ugly and too limited, and b) not a whole lot of variety

The game has actual classes now, each with a few passives and an active skill so you can have your class skill (each class has three and you can switch which one is active at any time outside of combat) top of two weapon mods. You can apparently level multiple classes on the same character and switch between them, and even multiclass later in the game.

I chose the class that is basically just the Very Good Boy weapon mod from the first game.

As for environments I've only seen two worlds so far and one of them is basically a Destiny level orbiting a black hole and the other is literally just Leyndell from Elden Ring.

edit: If I die, my dog automatically uses one of my estus charges to revive me and if my partner dies I can send him to revive them. Dog good, game good.

SirSamVimes has issued a correction as of 02:19 on Jul 23, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my bony fealty posted:

been playing Death's Door today, accidentally bought it a while back. it's good so far, doesn't do anything new but the combat is solid and the art design has some charm. it does have a novel way of showing damage on the enemy models instead of a health bar. more games should have that.

Death's Door was an unexpected delight to me and the really dry sense of humour the game has is exactly my jam. I'm glad that Acid Nerve has managed to have a hit after Titan Souls went completely under the radar (despite also being a very good game)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death's Door also has sweet music, especially the themes for The Grey Crow or The Last Lord.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm so glad that Remnant 2 (and the first game) do Souls style upgradeable weapons. There's no fear that my weird unique gun made from a material prised from the corpse of a boss that murdered me a hundred times will be eventually outclassed by a boring assault rifle with better stats, I can keep upgrading it and using it as long as I please.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Remnant 2 kicks rear end because instead of just grinding rng for weapon drops that you'll replace because you find a less cool weapon with better numbers, you solve puzzles and find secrets to find weapons that you keep using for as long as you want because all weapons can be upgraded to endgame levels so the only reason to replace one is that you find a cooler one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My goty contender is smaller.

Hi-Fi RUSH
Pizza Tower
Remnant 2

Jedi Survivor and FF16 are in the "great game, but don't occupy my brainspace like the goty contenders do" category.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Buddykins posted:

are we ever getting a loving Xcom 3 or what.

Jake Solomon left Firaxis so no

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Homeless Friend posted:

i played like 1 hour of elden ring as a taste test then bought ds1-3+sek so I'm doing em seqentially as gamer honor demands.

you lost all gamer honour by not facing artorias

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DOS2's main plot was mediocre but imo the character writing was pretty solid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There's alchemy and I think some quests let you craft stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

better than D:OS2 not as good as D:OS1 imo

DOS2 is way better than DOS1 though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ytlaya posted:

In BG3, do benched party members continue to gain XP?

Should I even try to use all the party members, or just use the top 3 I care about most?

Astarion is entertaining, but I find that I don't really enjoy playing Rogue much.

If you really like a character's personality but don't enjoy their mechanics, the respec skeleton lets you change people's classes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Epic High Five posted:

Investigating every unexplored doorway on my map before I take down the third dreamer and do whatever that does, and stumbled on yet another whole rear end area! And then a key to another part of another area!

"wait what the gently caress there's a whole another zone?" is something I said in hollow knight like... three times.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

smarxist posted:

good to know! if they don't talk because you're their "killer" they don't talk to any other party member right?

Also lol
https://twitter.com/Father__Snake/status/1690137185083666458?t=Yxqgz0W_Rll2h1y9mPJwJg&s=19

Yeah just cast disguise self and you'll be fine

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

grate deceiver posted:

Durinng dialogue, you have 4 icons on the lower left. The second one lets you switch characters. The third one is for attacking mid-conversation.

That doesn't change who is conversing though, it just switches to the character who can run around while your main is locked in talking.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It was incredibly funny when I was like "why is this ogre throwing barrels instead of boulders uo at the wall defenders" and oh poo poo they had goblins in them. So Karlach was throwing goblins down as fast as they were getting thrown up until one of them got a lucky shove off on the refugee leader and I had to bust out a scroll of featherfall so my frontline could leap down and cover him.

Game is loving incredible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Homeless Friend posted:

you can see a some buildings from a ledge in the underdark so i slapped featherfall on astarion and threw him over but it was just an instant kill crevasse with a pretty backdrop lol

If you are unsure abour whether you can jump somewhere, if the popup when you mouse over it says "chasm" then nothing you can do will save you from falling in it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I highly recommend everyone tries murdering the lady maintaining the giant safety bubble in act 2 just to see what happens

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

grimm is incredibly stylish and his boss fight is extremely cool, A++

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Epic High Five posted:

So I'm far enough in, being at the threshold to the end, and while I don't yet have a boss tier list for Hollow Knight, I can now say with absolute conviction that there is no worse enemy in this game than the flying bugs that shoot 3 projectiles.

everyone who plays hollow knight comes to the conclusion that primal aspids are indeed hellcursed demonspawn who must be purged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BG3 has an achievement for taking multiclassing one level into each class without ever respeccing lmao