Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

i'm just happy if the game i want to play runs at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Some celestial event. No- no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should have sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea

i saw an ad for diablo 4 all about the story and it was like 12 minutes long? i like story heavy games but i don't need this from diablo, just say hell is invading and i need to go kill demons. maybe throw a few fun characters to talk to in towns it doesn't have to be complicated

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

grinding is for NEETs to make up their lack of progress in real life. and very easily exploited because it’s easy to turn gamers into paypig whales because of jt

what does being employed have to do with making progress in life? maybe i just like to listen to a podcast and click on things for a bit sometimes

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

i didn't think forgotten city was very good but i do remember laughing at how stupid it was at points so that's something

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

its good until you get into a bad conquest server and then you remember why battlefield is kind of terrible

do they have a mode like breakthrough? always hated conquest in battlefield, just a bunch of people running around in circles

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

yes they do, but every server lets players vote for the game mode that they want to play and you'll never guess which one is always picked

that makes no sense why wouldn't you just have separate servers for different game modes and vote for map changes instead

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

i had fun fishing and driving around with the boys in ff15

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

i don't know which is worse: being trolled by IGN's pcgamer dot com or that it sounds like an extremely blizzard thing to do

i think that's exactly how current wow actually works

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Augus posted:

what game is he from

there's like three hitlers in wolfenstein 3d, possibly the most hitlers a game has ever had

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the orcs also suicide crash their plane into your zeppelin which starts the whole thing

what's the problem, flying planes into things is extremely effective

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

writing "brooks was here" into the wall in bullet holes before i drop a grenade at my feet and quit the server

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I don't even recall, but I got several stories in the paper. They were all terribly written, I'm no writer. I think I wrote them in the "voice" of the characters too, so if you see a story that's like "Oi guv, I dun spyed me a robut weerwulf, I did. Nearly topped me gibblers, e' did!", that was me.

I was doing a stint of volunteer work in South America at the time, in a remote area at the time too. I was so bored in my off hours because there was very little to do, so when I did get dial-up access once a month, I saw the contest and started typing up some stories to submit. Several months after returning home, I got the notice that I "won", and where could they send my copy to.

that's cool as hell, looking at them there's a fair amount that hint at storylines but i'm guessing anything not directly tied to the plot was submitted by someone then? there's one about a technology protest that the cops violently put down that seems like you would only need to know the basic premise of the world to come up with

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

i was really confused when i found out that so many people were self inserting as the insane delta force soldier guy and felt personally attacked when the character does war crimes

i think the fact you have to actively do it makes it bother people more but i wonder how people would react if it just happened in a cutscene without player input

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

oof I looked up the Spec Ops developer to check something and saw that the only game they've made in the last decade was that extraction shooter that just shut down

i don't know if any of the spec ops people still work there even, a couple spec ops devs did a game about a german ww2 resistance group. it was kinda going for a This War of Mine thing i think but it wasn't very fun to play

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

people who jerk off over fallout 1 and 2 haven't played the games my guy. They play New Vegas, hear its like the old fallout games and then project that backwards into the interplay fallout games. Todd howard's biggest crime was resurrecting that franchise so now you get to be inundated with annoying people who got strongarmed into voting for joe think they are revolutionaries for choosing the Yes Man ending.

i've played them and i like them because they're good actually

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Bethesda could have made a better game, but they didn't, oh well.

gonna have to agree to disagree on that one

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

i'm glad people are able to enjoy playing bethesda fallout games and i'm also glad that i can go play wasteland instead

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

never played jagged alliance before but i'm having fun with ja3, i'm glad they gave the option to show hit chance because it felt weird without it. might just be all the time spent playing xcom

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

croup coughfield posted:

ive been keeping the hit probs off because i love doing stupid poo poo and i dont need the game to post a bunch of numbers at me. shut the gently caress up nerd

i'll prob turn them back off at some point but it's been helpful to get a feel for how the aiming works, still doing dumb poo poo because sometimes a long shot is the best shot you got

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Al! posted:

im not sure you really need to bring a medic along until you can afford 5 mercs. md is pretty useless. my favorite guy is blood who is just clearing out entire bases with neck shots

it's probably not necessary to have a high level medic like md but I'm determined to take him till the end and find out if he ever becomes useful at this point. I just stick him in a corner while igor and ivan gun everyone down and my imp burns through my entire stock of 7.62 with an rpk

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

just got to the refugee camp in jagged alliance 3 and that did not go very well at all, i think i'm going to need more guns

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

I finished up the first island in JA3 with -$195 in the bank and now I can't pay for boat travel to the main island :shepicide: am I screwed and need to restart or is there a way to get money? I think I've cleared every sector.

i think you're just screwed, the only thing i can think of would be waiting for a squad to come attack and hope they have some diamonds to loot but it's a long shot and might not be possible depending on your contracts

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The first mine you take over, the miners come back in and if you talk to them they're like "Well, mining is better than the refuge camp ... sorta"

You're already the bastard. I doubt the game is at some point going to give me the option to bail on the diamond mine-owning plutocrat who hired me and throw in with the communists. May as well lean in on being a bastard.

they gave me control of the communist faction but they seem to consist entirely of 6 guys sitting around at a bar and the only impact it's had so far is people asking me not to steal their chickens. I think he picked me because I showed 3 people a pamphlet

I've kinda been getting a fallout 2 vibe from the game where it's fun and I'm enjoying it but it's also packed with jokes that aren't really landing and a ton of random references that don't fit in

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

that was always the jagged alliance thing. most of the things are a bit above gex tier. some things have made me actually laugh or think it was a neat reference (spoiler for meeting chimurenga with igor: he calls him cheburashka, character from an old soviet children's cartoon but you may never get those.

im not sure the extent of what happens with the communists or any other groups yet but it definitely gets a bit deeper

Ivan and igor are both great, backbones of my team so far. I was expecting just more action movie trope stuff and not say an entire village that's just a twin peaks reference

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

it's really cool how any town you tend to defend or fight in frequently gets war torn as a matter of course even if you're careful. every little stray bullet persists. fleatown and port cacao docks are starting to get pretty hosed up. gonna feel bad when hue finally catches another stray in his head

i've got a b team set up on that island outpost, seems like almost all the legion squads route through there so some milita and a few guys to retrain after battles has been holding them off good so far. i'm kinda expecting things to heat up soon though

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

i didn't think quiet was as bad as the mgs4 bosses. at least there's an explanation, as flimsy as it is

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

respect to yoko taro for just admitting that he's a perv and he really likes butts

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Xaris posted:

yoko taro owns

hope we get a new nier or other new yoko game soon

he needs to go out drinking with a different dev studio every few years and end up with a deal for a new game by the morning

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

finished ja3, some of the side missions get a little janky but it was good. have to play through again sometime and try out melee more instead of just leaning on sneaky headshots with an m24

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

still confused why the advanced robot hivemind are unable to refine oil in wasteland 3 but I guess they kinda papered over that with one of the dlc endings

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Al! posted:

i got roped into playing wow classic for a bit but it was godawful and i decided it was fine if they wanted to play without me

i've been playing classic for a bit now and enjoying it a lot but holy poo poo that hardcore thing seems like a terrible idea and i'm not convinced people are actually going to play it past a couple weeks

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

The time for official classic wow is over. The tourist aspect of launch, where 100,000 middle age nerds chased their quarterlife crisis, and the ensuing COVID summer lockdown are long over.

Just play on a private server like a normal person. Don't pay money for the old dead gay game.

i didn't own a computer then but yeah it was probably best at launch, seems like a lot of people started playing recently though. starter zones are all full and plenty of people to group with. i dunno i'll prob get bored of it after a few months but i really like dicking around with pvp and just leveling it's been a nice chill time so far

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Cuttlefush posted:

nope. but i also mix it up with that one. i was thinking of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_of_Mankind?useskin=vector

drat i vaguely remember playing this once, didn't expect to see that the devs tried to resurrect it multiple times

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I think there are a couple things that made it much more fun early on:
- Less information was easily accessible online, so there was more of a sense of discovery. When my friends and I snuck into the Silithus area with the Ahn'Qiraj raids before it was actually released (by jumping along mountains a bunch) it felt insanely cool, because we had figured it out on our own and genuinely thought we were the only ones who did.

ending up in ahn'qiraj during open beta and having no loving idea what i was looking at was pretty cool

the only thing i'm not liking playing classic now is that it's a version where they fixed a lot of exploration glitches, i had a lot of fun doing that back in the day

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Two friends and I basically organized a session where we decided to see how far out of the map we could get if we kept jumping along the sides of mountains. IIRC we entered from the south along a coast or something? We weren't sure how far we could get, so we were amazed when we made it into this area that you obviously weren't supposed to go.

I kinda remember there being a way through the mountains but you could also just walk right through the gate as a ghost

I think the craziest was whoever figured out that if you blink out through the deadmines portal you can get to an early alpha version of outland, wish that one still worked

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

sniper elite 5 might be a good choice for something kinda like mgs5 but not quite, the levels are pretty great from what i've played so far. it feels like they started grabbing various bits of other games they liked so it has dark souls style invasions, some mechanics that kinda feel like hitman, and the gun customization stuff actually made me think of mgs5 but it all comes together really well

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

I hate the bethesda fallouts but I'm happy for people that like them and I can just play wasteland instead

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

you've gotta raise your kid with a lovely pc so they learn that if the game starts then it's playable, otherwise they become a weirdo with strong opinions about framerates

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

smarxist posted:

kids gotta start on the atari 2600 like i did and go through the eras, i'm not loving around

booting up that big beige tower pc for the first time and playing wolfenstein 3d, reacting like a crowd watching The Arrival of a Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingBeautiful
Oct 22, 2008

evilmiera posted:

Which Wasteland?

Also I hope we get a Wasteland 4 at some point. And even a Fallout 5. Outer Worlds 2? Sure why not.

Its not like its Star Citizen where its release will be a detriment to literally everyone involved in either making or buying it.

I liked wasteland 2 more than 3 for some reason, still haven't played the first one. Really I'll take whatever I can get if it's even vaguely reminiscent of fallout 1

There's games out there for everyone now it's a great time for gamers