Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I bought Callisto Protocol with the expectation that it would be average but holy moly did it come under even those low expectations. Just the most incredibly mid game ever made.

So I refunded it and bought Terra Nil which is just very nice and peaceful and chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
"bear" "bear scene" and "bear romance" are now some of the top searches for Baldur's Gate 3 lmao

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

MonsieurChoc posted:

A Vietnam War game from the POV of the vietnamese.

One of my "If I win the lottery" dreams is making a game about the Iraq War but from the perspective of an insurgent. Half the game is brief FPS segments of ambushing a convoy or making IEDs or whatever and the other half would be visual novel-esque segments of living with your family and dealing with members of your group and just generally surviving in a country under occupation. Most of the game's routes would end with you dead or in Guantanamo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
*I sigh wistfully and stare up at the clouds. They form themselves into "THERE WILL NEVER BE A FREESPACE 3"*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Arcanum had the sidequest where you find out gnomes were running an half-ogre breeding camp by kidnapping women and they would usually die after only one or two births.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

they'll change their minds in a few years and nothing will be done

Yeah, I'm assuming this is because extensive work has already been done on the PS5 versions of the next couple of CoD games and there's no sense in just throwing that money away. 3 or 4 games from now they'll suddenly announce CoD is no longer available on Sony systems and nobody will do anything about it.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Larian has revealed Penis A, B, C, D, and E. Cyberpunk fans and their mere Penis 1 and 2 in absolute shambles

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Al! posted:

how many pussies they got in there?

Looks like Vulva A, B, and C with a Default option that I'm assuming is tied to whatever body type you pick. Truly, you can craft the exact elf femboy of your dreams and watch them get their brains hosed out by a bear.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Konami absolutely did Kojima dirty, but also I can definitely see why executives would be getting nervous about this expensive-rear end game that he kept throwing away big chunks of.

Death Stranding's development went okay so maybe they hired someone who's job it was to spray Kojima with water every time he thought about realistic ice physics or whatever.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

do the splinter cell games still hold up?

I've actually been playing through them lately.

Splinter Cell has aged...okay. Its almost more of a puzzle game where you trial-and-error through the various encounters. Have quicksave and quickload bound to easily accessible keys, but its still a decently fun time.

Pandora Tomorrow can only be played through :files: and is pretty easy to find. But don't bother, its trash. You know how with some '90s games they would release the original game and then a year or so later release some super-hard advanced version that sucks unless you have absolute mastery of the mechanics? That's what Pandora Tomorrow is. Even on the lower difficulties, guards are hyper-aware, the lighting engine is really jank so its hard to tell if an area will actually leave you in darkness, and the encounter design is aggravating as hell. I don't know how much of it is the way the game was made or if some of it is scripting or the lighting breaking due to being played on modern hardware. But either way, its more frustrating to play.

Chaos Theory is still a great game. The levels are less linear, the stealth is significantly improved, and the writing is more fun. It also still runs right out of the box on modern computers, which surprised me. The first two games run well but need you to download a couple of fixes. CT is perfectly fine right away, even has a 1920x1080 resolution option natively. If you only play one SC game, make it this one.

Haven't gotten to Double Agent, Conviction, or Blacklist yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Conviction seems like it was going to be a jason bourne game that got re-labelled. The only thing I remember about it was all the guards sound like frat boys and they constantly yell long drawn out frat boy taunts at you while you hide from them.

IIRC, Conviction was originally going to be more like Assassin's Creed game with Sam blending into crowds and stealthing through open environments. But I guess it wasn't coming together because the game got entirely reworked under a director who openly hated the previous games' slow pace and pushed it to be way more aggressive and faster. Which wasn't necessarily a bad evolution, it just sucked that it was the only option for gameplay style.

Blacklist tried to compromise by making full stealth, full shooty, and the Conviction-esque mix all viable options.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ytlaya posted:

What if there was an MMO, but if you die in the game you die in real life?

god i wish

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I feel like I'm gonna have to turn BG3 down to Easy. I'm just not grasping the combat. Even when I try to be clever, everything just turns into me rolling 50%-60% chance attacks while the monsters casually do like half my health in one hit.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Epic High Five posted:

I am going to pull the Pale King's underwear over his head and choke slam him into one of his precious saw blades

Since you've done the Hive, you can use the Hiveblood pin to regenerate the tick of health you lose when you hit a saw blade and get sent back. Its slower, but safer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
At any time, you can open up the full party inventory by hitting Tab and move stuff around freely, even in combat. I think things are only inaccessible if they're in the inventory of a party member in camp.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Al! posted:

thought you were being ironic until i realized ac means armored core

Too many games using AC as an abbreviation these days. Ace Combat, Armored Core, Assassin's Creed. One of them's gotta change their name and I think we all know who the weak link in that trio is.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The beholder threatens you. What do you do?

I patiently discuss with it how our Heavenly Father has enduring love for all His creations and that even here in the Underdark, His light shines on all things.

*The DM throws out his notes in frustration, yet another session defeated by the all-encompassing power of our Lord Jesus Christ*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Communist Thoughts posted:

No robits til Sunday for me. Please refrain from posting about them.

Also please don't say anything bad about the game it will hurt my feelings. I finally know how the diablo 4 fans feel when a game must be protected at all costs

buddy i'm gonna tell you something right now

there are cores

and they're armored

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I really appreciate that the first mission in AC6 has you blowing up the local guerilla group's artillery in order to protect one corp's survey group...and then the second mission has you attacking that corp's survey group on behalf of a different corp. Perfect vibes, no notes.

EDIT: Also one of the first guns you can buy is just a mecha-sized Glock.

1stGear has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Aug 25, 2023

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I WOULD LIKE TO USE THE AUSTRALIAN WORD TO DESCRIBE MY FEELINGS TOWARDS BALTEUS

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I tried the bubble gun against Balteus and found it underwhelming. The extra shield shred was offset by the low damage and low ammo amount. I only used one so maybe its better if you Dual Trigger them.

My setup for beating the hula hoop was the starting laser sword, the starting assault rifle, and missiles on both shoulders with a zippy frame. The rifle applies steady pressure on his shield at medium and close range while I could consistently dive in with my sword and land both hits, eating up a huge chunk of his shield or stamina and health. Missiles were for just dumping on him while his shield was down. Took a fair few tries, but it was some absolutely perfect mecha anime poo poo when we were dueling with laser and flame swords.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

loquacius posted:

Shadowheart revealed she was an acolyte of a dark god and everyone was like "gasp" and I was like "ohhh that explains the name"

I really wish there were more opportunities to ask her "Like...is that your actual name? The one your parents gave you?"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Frosted Flake posted:

What are the chances that Phantom Liberty is good?

I played through CP2077 after the Edgerunners and it was in pretty good shape, imo. Enough that I was totally engrossed for about a week which doesn't happen to me with a lot of games. The biggest issues were that the combat and skill progression were kind of rough and that's one of the things that's being totally revamped in PL.

So the chances of it being good are

Augus posted:

decently high tbqh

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I think Cyberpunk as it currently is definitely holds up pretty well and it's really hard for me to imagine Startrails being better than it. Better graphics, combat that, while not great, is still better than standard Bethesda combat, and decent-enough writing. Starview still seems kind of fun and I'll probably get some enjoyment out of it, but it sounds like it really hosed up by (mostly) getting rid of the open-world exploration elements (and I doubt its cities are quite on the level of Night City).

One of the things that immediately jumped out to me when watching Starfield footage was how if there's more than one NPC in a conversation, the camera just awkwardly cuts between them with no sense of motion or relative space between the talkers and the player. CP2077 still letting you have camera control during dialogue was one of the game's overly ambitious dreams that crippled its initial release, but goddamn does it feel so much better than any other first person RPG.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You've probably forgotten all about it in the hubbub of Gaming's Greatest Year, but Hi-Fi Rush still loving owns.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SirSamVimes posted:

Earlier this year I had no clue how I was going to choose between Hi-Fi RUSH and Pizza Tower as my personal goty.

Then BG3 happened.

I have to assume 2024 is going to be a wasteland. The industry can't sustain this level of quality for long.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Reupped Gamepass against my better judgement to fiddle with Starfield and wow, their servers are buckling right now.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Starfield was excruciatingly boring and I uninstalled it. Hopefully there are some good new games on Gamepass so I don't completely waste 10 bucks.

I do like the idea of being like the Chef or Professor background and in approximately twenty minutes of your life you go from non-combat miner to SOLO ASSAULT ON A PIRATE STRONGHOLD HOPE YOU WERE BORN TO KILL MOTHERFUCKER

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Lies of P is probably one of the better Soulsborne games not made by From. I haven't fully grokked its weird fusion of Sekiro and Bloodborne combat yet though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

isekai to the polls

just be careful crossing any streets on the way there

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
currently collating everyone who is talking poo poo about cyberpunk and spoke approvingly of starfield, you'll all be reported to the Council of Video Games

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

magiccarpet posted:

pretty wild they are leaving money on the table by not doing more 'hire an actor and make a few hour story' expansions. two years later its still a bleeding edge game. gamers are a fickle lot.

They had way more plans for it (including like multiplayer somehow???) but I'm guessing the need to spend two years unfucking the initial release ate up a lot of that money and time.

I would like to see a Cyberpunk 2078, but cut the open world. Something more along the lines of Deus Ex would be way more engaging, imo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

CDPR is also moving to Unreal Engine so I would expect more open world in their future, not less

Lame. Cyberpunk is one of the better open worlds because of how visually/auditorily rich it is, but its not that far removed from a Ubisoft "Drive to a point to do a thing and then drive to another point" shitbox.

Large, but discrete levels with a dense amount of content is the way to go and its real frustrating to me that developers are still beating the open world horse.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Epic High Five posted:

Having a very small but very deep and fleshed out game world is probably a lot harder to do than an open world that trends heavily toward the cut and paste. If it isn't any harder or easier then a studio still probably has to pick between the two. Like Disco only has maybe 15 discrete locations, half of which you visit once or twice, but it FEELS bigger than most open world games I play where I know that every landmark has about as much going on as the Fritte shop.

Honestly, I would settle for something like Evil Within 2. Parts of that game were kind of a pseudo-open world where the points of interest were all unique and there would be unmarked or secret stuff to find as well. You didn't have the density of gameplay options or approaches, but you didn't just feel like you were clearing a map of icons for the sake of clearing the map.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BONGHITZ posted:

big fuckin news ya'll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFx7woWkZbc

took seven years but they got it

From heaven, TJ"Henry"Yoshi looks down and nods in approval.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I don't know if that person is dead or not.

EDIT: after some investigation, it looks like they are alive. Not going to edit my original post.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ammanas posted:

doesnt alt cunningham get forcibly detached from her physical body and become an ur-ai that can pass through the net at will, including the supposedly omnipotent blackwall corporate ai? that seems pretty dope

although i wonder how much time she has to spend batting away annoying loving 4chan incel ais on a cyberdaily basis

IIRC, Alt isn't the AI so much as the AI is a gestalt entity that consumed Alt's personality after she got Soulkilled and is using it to interact with Johnny and V since it keeps the puny humans comfortable. She also can't cross the Blackwall, she needs you to upload her into Arasaka Tower.

I really like how CP2077 handled her. Less an ascended human and more an eldritch god that has briefly turned its attention to humanity.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
johnny is good because it'll teach more people that anarchists are loving stupid and should be ignored

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Is there a mod for RDR2 where Arthur actually smokes cigarettes instead of taking one drag and then dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm browsing through all the demos for Next Fest and folks, I'm gonna say it: there might be too many video games.