Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

maybe this is the cope speaking but Starfield is going to bomb

If it looked like anything more strenuous than Fallout 4 in space I'd be inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt, but there's nothing in the previews that make it look like an 8 year development cycle that was meticulously planned which means it's was actually like 6 years flailing in pre-production and then the last 2 spent crunching trying to turn a bunch of assets into a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Starfield is going to make a gorillion dollars even if it doesnt work and 90% of the people here hating on it will be pre-ordering the deluxe edition after a few more trailers

I'm excited for product but it's goofy not to talk about the fact that drat near every game that's been in an 8 year development cycle has been shambolic on release

maybe Todd Howard will be the exception and prove to have managed the hell out of the project for its duration though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Red Baron posted:

it’s wild that it took them this long to come up with what will be their most popular game yet. they’re going to make a ton of empty worlds and modders will simply fill in all the empty space for them.

this is the gambit and this is why they will succeed

Starbound and No Man's Sky proved out that people will put hundreds of hours of playtime and free development into just the promise of a neat space game

Space is loving cool
Who doesn't want to Star Trek around up there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

lovely stupid plots are frequently funny, i thought that was the entire premise of the numbered ff games

FF8's orphan student paramilitary organization that have to kill the moon is a personal favorite

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Red Baron posted:

I have absolutely 0 faith in Bethesda getting even decent shooting mechanics in their game.

it will feel like poo poo, it will sound like poo poo, but I will still eat that poo poo.

And you will thank Todd Howard for his innovation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Starfeet

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I do want to build a cool space ship
Fallout 4 base building was pretty addictive and also infected the gaming industry for like a decade

although not being able to fly the space ship seems kinda lame

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Ok, I'll be honest.

My biggest gripe with Fallout 4 was that combat balance sucked. Normal difficulty was too easy, but at the same time on hard the enemies had too much health. Also melee combat was bad and broken, guns were the way to go.

This is mostly fixed if you get at least 1 of the 2 OP guns from the DLC, but A it's DLC and B you have to buy the DLC.

So my experience with it was slightly worse than it should have been.

Also I think a lot of this was fixed in Fallout 76, so hopefully they do better with Starfield.

and someone needs to figure out a 3rd-person solution to stealth that doesn't demand playing the game at 50% speed and crotch level the entire time

e:
wrote 3rd meant 1st but you all get it
any non-isometric really

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Jun 26, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

jesus loving christ that's a lot of money

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Are you telling me <current AAAA release> isn't the peak of what humanity can collectively achieve? Huh. Maybe another A will fix things

CGI peaked with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

quick question: are we allowed to talk about vidya games from the early 90s in here? :ohdear:

Only Omikron and the one Devo made

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So many studios have disappointed me before
please be good, Larian

moving a release date up for once is a big loving flex if nothing else

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

i picked up DAVE THE DIVER and its a lot of fun so far. nice combination of Cook, Serve, Delicious and Subnautica and other fishing games

same with this (haven't tried it yet), Mechwarrior, and Weird West

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

Weird West was very mediocre and dissapointing. the first vignette was fun, even a bit of the second, but then all the other ones were worse and repetitive. I expected a lot more from Raphael Colantonio since akrane had good stuff

i'm glad I played it for FREE* on game pass instead of buying it

ah that's disappointing to hear
I knew it got shellacked on release but I was hoping they'd fixed it up a bit since then

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

finished ff16

all i can say is jesus loving christ
good jesus christ or bad jesus christ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

that sounds promising

I do love spectacular train wrecks

better than 15 from the sounds of it and I beat that one

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

triple sulk posted:

i'm also glad that the game upheld the generally respected final fantasy tradition of having its final boss battle in some variation of outer space

Well that's all I needed to hear

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

if you're talking about the remake it's good, ignore the grumps itt

it's very good, and lovingly made
every inch of it

gently caress the sewers though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

go to goron city to get hooked on that rock

The rock drug was distributed to destabilize and control the Goron population

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it was Ganondorf that said: If you can convince the lowest hylian he's better than the best goron, he won't notice you're picking his pocket.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I have yet to notice the difference, to the point where I'm still wondering if I haven't turned it on properly

If you're using an old/cheap HDMI cord it could cap out at 60

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Y'all don't get it
It's a minting event

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Al! posted:

jagged alliance 3 is pretty good, they've definitely taken some cues from the larian games, you run around looting little maps and getting in encounters, which switches everything to turn based mode, but at the same time it retains it's own thing where you're recruiting mercs temporarily and they have personalities and like affinity bonuses and you're getting emails, and there's a fake internet and everything

croup youre gonna love it, there's so much reading

you've just sold this game to me

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I want to be an MD but I know in my heart I'm a Grunty

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

a truffle is also a precious thing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All they have to do is upgrade the graphics and rerelease the expansions piece by piece
How do they keep loving it up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Don't buy Logitech mice though

Those things get the double click issue unfailingly within like a year

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.siliconera.com/square-enix-latest-2023-report-sees-sales-increase-profits-decline/

this is all still Eidos's fault I bet

but for real how is such a horrible mismanaged company not chucking their president on the pyre, that's usually how these things go

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

The Water Sage has the lamest power too. The other sages can help you fly farther, or let you fire a giant boulder(man) from literally any vehicle you step into, or let you strike poo poo with loving lightning when you shoot arrows, or give you a giant robot that follows you around wrecking poo poo and also lets you ride it, but the Water Sage lets you squirt water. What's that useful for? The gimmick in his dungeon, basically that's it

and even then he's not as useful as splash fruit or carrying around a hydrant
that was a misfire of design for sure

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hatebag posted:

I hate all of the sages. Stop yelling, you freaks!

that bird screech sound from the wind guy is seared into my memory

loquacius posted:

he was the most popular one in BOTW too, they hosed up there

He and his totally not-Link stand-in little green wife are still very cool, but yeah they did him dirty

like even... make it so he makes you swim faster or something so you're incentivized to keep his ghost on

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I finally bought BG3 so I have some important questions before I get to it this weekend and they are:

are there neat spears in BG3 and are they good to use

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It seems like RPGs always make the swords the coolest gear... So who am I kidding l will probably just roll a swordmans

Unless there's cooler gear than swords

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

most characters are an impressive mix of based and cringe too, good balance there

like, props to Big the Cat for already being into Gary Clark Jr in the 2000s or whenever this meme was made, but, he also likes Skynyrd :chloe:

what's cringe on Eggman's list because that's drat near beat for beat my record collection

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Well, that sure is Creation Engine

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Say what you will about Imagine Dragons, but they've really made a career out of writing basically the same song over and over

not since AC/DC has a band found and so thoroughly steered into a niche, and in a certain sense, I respect that sort of artisan approach to the craft, giving the people exactly what they expect

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hatebag posted:

don't know that I've ever been aware that i was listening to imagine dragons so i guess I'll have to imagine imagine dragons
they're probably like dragonforce (bad)

they're basically that band Fun. crossed with Maroon 5 and dubstep

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

the song is a good representation of what kind of game Starfield is going to be

bland, generic, uncomfortably asinine, and total dogshit

It pairs perfectly
no risks taken, exactly the sort of crowd-pleasing by the numbers pop culture product
the creation of skilled artisans not as art, but product

and that's fine, sometimes we need a little trash
before bethesda games it was sitcoms, and before sitcoms serialized fiction, and before that I guess... bawdy plays? War?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Buddy, have you ever heard of Nickelback?

Oh gently caress, I honestly forgot about them for a brief beautiful moment and now you've reconnected those neurons in my brain. Thanks a lot

Truga posted:

i've been tricked by todd once and bought skyrim after liking the demo and then got another 2h in and never played it again

just not my kind of games i guess

Todd Howard's pitch for skyrim was "Imagine dragons"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Bloodstained is sick. Thank you Iga

gently caress yeah where's the sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

enchanting in morrowind was the best Bethesda iteration of it