Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna play some video games by the beach today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gonna play some video games by the beach today

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tenderjerk posted:

idk the first one is docked and i dont want to keep plugging it in and out

Omg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Buck Wildman posted:

that's a concerning level of grenades to have wrapped around your body

Someone's never played the OG XCOM

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

Someone has to flight simulator their planned route while flying on an airplane.

I've been told this actually happens quite often with the actual pilots

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popy posted:

InariusBros keep talking about getting into heaven they need to be realistic about whats possible

For every peasant we lose in rural Scosglen we'll pick up two Knights Penitent in Kyovashad

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have an album of pictures of hotel room TVs that I've hooked up my Switch to. It's a small thing but "you can bring a console with you in a bag" just fills me with childlike wonder.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at D4 servers making GBS threads the bed so you can't play your single-player action rpg plotline

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe games should have an offline mode

Just a thought

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1673030623727087616?t=_JandOMoKkbq7q3jfXL_DA&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Homeless Friend posted:

part of the fun of the steamdeck is lolling every time it plays a modern game (ac valhalla)

feh, graphics cards, who needs em, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

tenderjerk posted:

do you really have to always be online to play diablo

lol

Diablo 3 on the PC still requires you to be online all the time. That was actually one of the reasons why I stopped playing it after 2015: my computer was slow enough that I'd frequently hit a timeout-and-disconnect whenever I hit a loading screen, which often meant I could never actually complete any of the game's endgame activities.

they learned their lesson with the console versions: you can play them completely offline

and then they un-learned that lesson with Diablo 4, because now the console versions, which are cross-play enabled with the PC, are also always-online as well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

olives black posted:

that sucks, it deserves better

the twitter crop fucks up the point:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a game can be bad and still be something you play for hundreds of hours

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
new Cities Skylines 2 dev diary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk29jhRlzzw

- people will now select their commute based on actual routes available to them, rather than on as-the-crow flies
- people will now periodically update their commute / pathfinding, instead of using whatever they had first established and using that forever (mind-blowing to me that this is how CS1 worked?!)
- support for multi-core / multi-threaded processors
- cars will use more than one lane
- car crashes will happen
- taxis will be in the base game (instead of a CS1 DLC)
- you can adjust car park pricing (urban planning enthusiasts will know this is a huge deal)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

I got the first cities skylines base game, played it for like half an hour and never touched it again. I thought it was gonna be a city planning game but it seemed like mostly a traffic simulator. I wanna do big earthworks, gently caress a car

I spent an entire afternoon last month learning it and playing it to get far enough to unlock bike lanes and remodel my entire city around having them everywhere

at some point you either have to do large-scale remodeling of your city, or start building with an "endgame" layout in mind, and I wasn't really mentally prepared for doing that, but it was nice to pursue a more modest goal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Which is the superior (and correct) option: DLSS or FSR?

* if you don't have a card that supports DLSS, then it doesn't matter, you will need to use FSR
* if the game you are playing only supports one of these options, then it doesn't matter, you will need to use the one upscaler that is available
* DLSS generally looks better than FSR, in cases where you can select from either

if you're thinking of buying a new GPU, it still doesn't necessarily mean you should aim for NVidia, because if the games you are playing (or expect to play) don't support DLSS, or already run so fast that upscaling isn't necessary, then AMD can still be better value-for-money

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JokerReview/status/1673685156274614273?t=ogEwIP1RjgGX46hpAHDKIA&s=19

:jerkbag:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the milk machine posted:

to be fair in the first game cars will just sit in traffic when there are totally clear alternate ways for them to travel

https://twitter.com/TaylorWAnderson/status/1673145868629987329

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not actually a traffic simulator, it's a city painter with an annoying traffic layer on top that's always trying to sabotage you. If it had an actual traffic simulator it would actually encourage city planning.

having actually-working-traffic is sort of why I'm getting progressively more hype for CS2

Halser posted:

just put roundabouts everywhere

your city needs more roundabouts than it needs houses

"roundabouts will work properly now" is also another of the things that CS2 is supposedly going to do

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is why city builder should start you off at an actual reasonable founding of your city, or with like a base early 19th century one, so the developers are forced to make remodeling your city over time a core part of the gameplay that needs as much love as expanding.

simcity used to do something like this where you'd start with an already-built city and then be given an objective to reach within so many years. A lot of the time it was "we recreated Hamburg/Miami and clicked the firebombing/hurricane button" which wasn't that interesting because it was "just" a test of you rebuilding whatever it was that the disaster wrecked, but sometimes you'd get a "it's Detroit post-deindustrialization and you have to revitalize the city"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grapplejack posted:

I love that all the diablo posts in the thread are like "this thing is dogshit. It sucks and I have to grind for 100 hours and it will bug out and make me lose all progress. I will keep playing this its soooo fun"

Wait till you use the hellslurps on the hellapes

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

It would be cool if you start out with skeletons with rusty daggers and as you level up your skeletons get armor and magic and eventually you start summoning bone chariots and maybe like a composite skeleton man made out of dozens of men worth of bones so they have legs with 12 femurs a piece
Not like in diablo 2 where i hosed up my build with too many skeletons and ended up having to kite diablo around his lair with a crossbow for half an hour

Diablo 2's Necromancer has actually gotten better since you've played it last where it's possible to complete at least Nightmare with nothing but points in Summoning

but the real secret is that a Druid Summoner is better than a Necromancer Summoner nowadays because you're not reliant on corpses

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
doesn't Steam also have forums?

hmmmm what if it becomes the new social media heart of the internet

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punished milkman posted:

drat that’s nasty. PC gamers stay losing

Lol it's not like any of the console storefronts are any better

PS doesn't have a wishlist, and there's no shopping cart on the Nintendo store

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Alan Woke

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1674122165526974473?t=I86LqiocoRF0l5WsgaIJ_A&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/simoncarless/status/1674104705021255681?t=DIWKzzUecOBcRbOnkIaWSw&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

One day, I believe someone will figure out how to make video game hair that doesn't look like total poo poo

Nvidia Hairworks? Hello? Maybe try playing critically acclaimed game The Witcher 3

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

quick question: are we allowed to talk about vidya games from the early 90s in here? :ohdear:

Hell yeah The Grandest Fleet ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

putt putt saves the zoo has a deeper more meaningful story than every western AAA game in the past 5 years put together.

Turning into one of those trad/RETVRN accounts but for this stuff

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

smarxist posted:

i think i want to play skyrim again, but i'm not sure if i just want to install a bunch of mods and think about playing or actually play

just boot it up. it's fine

part of the reason why I get so much more gaming done on consoles nowadays is that there's less things to gently caress around with, whether it's alt-tabbing to post, or tinkering with mods

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Starship Troopers games minus the satire seems like its just an endorsement of fascism???

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My Summer Sale haul is, I'd like to think, pretty modest:

- Sniper Elite 4
- For the Glory
- Attack at Dawn: North Africa
- three Age of Empires 2 DLCs: Lords of the West, Dawn of the Dukes, and Dynasties of India, to complete the collection
- Pillars of Eternity 2 Obsidian Edition

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1674691856045600768

sValve-a gamingii

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popy posted:

playin capitalism lab and buying up land so when i become mayor i can use the citys money to buy all my land at a huge markup when i raise land values causing the city to go bankrupt

Wtf is Capitalism Lab

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KirbyKhan posted:

my main dude acted more retarded each time all the way to the end.

Turn on your monitor

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been watching games of Age of Empires 2 and one of the more interesting game modes I've seen is a combination of

Pilgrims - where everyone starts with villagers and a transport ship on tiny islands on one side of the map, and have to make their way to the "mainland" on the opposite half of the map, and pick out a place to settle. Going deeper into the mainland might let you have an area all to yourself, but you'll start building up later

Regicide - each player has a King, and if you lose your King, you lose the game

Exploding Kings - whenever a King dies, there's a scripted explosion that takes out an entire screen's worth of buildings and units. This introduces a sort of "hostage-taking" element to Regicide, because the explosion can perhaps backfire on the attacking player if the enemy King dies near the attacker's economy, or even takes out their own King in return

Diplomacy - everyone starts out allied with each other, but you can declare war on each other on-and-off, and only one can survive

that last bit, in particular, introduces a social dynamic to the game that reminds one of, well, the actual Diplomacy game, where a big part of it is talking to everyone, trying to make friends, making promises, keeping promises, and having to pick-and-choose one who to side. Because it's still an RTS at heart, it is possible for a player to win by sheer strength of arms, particularly if one is much better at the game than others, but with eight people in a game, it's going to be an uphill battle if you don't forge some strategic alliances.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

DOS2 endgame was awesome, everyone had 2 to 3 straight up teleports, and it's a drat shame BG3 won't have that

D&D-based computer RPGs are always fated to be lamer than an original IP because the pen-and-paper games are ridiculously tame in what they'll allow players to accomplish. Baldur's Gate 2 managed to break out of this mold by starting you off at high levels, and the later Enhanced Editions started putting in content that was completely outside of what was in the books, but anything based on Fifth Edition was always going to be pedestrian.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if you set an auto-pause for "end of turn" (and nothing else), then congratulations, your real-time-with-pause game is now a turn-based game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I liked Divinity a lot, but sometimes I just want to blow up a bunch of lovely goblins with fireballs in under 30 seconds.

"level scaling" (not saying that Divinity does this) is one of the less palatable changes in game design of recent years because it means you never get to the point where you're effortlessly mowing down enemies that used to give you trouble