Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm playing Titan Quest again for some reason.

The reason is that it still rules after all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As long as they don't ruin it with game-as-a-service bullshit Starfield will probably be fine (though I'm pretty sure the game plan is to let modders make it into a playable game, as per usual with Bethesda games). So I'm looking forward to seeing how they ruin it with game-as-a-service bullshit.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

bed of chaos seems to be one of those fights that mostly upsets the chad alpha fromsexual players that aren't willing to just glitch the boss by saving and reloading

A jumping puzzle fight in a game with Dark Souls 1 controls is a bit cruel but Lost Izalith having been thrown together in about ten minutes because they ran out of time was the real problem with that part of the game.

Still fun tho

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

croup coughfield posted:

i encouraged and rolled with a great deal of dumb bullshit but you simply must have a living parent or guardian or your character was not suited to adventuring

I've done the orphan with a found family thing before but having family that you're a bit at odds with but still have a relationship with is so much fun (with the right GM) that I find it hard to go any other way.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Writing my character's backstory in the form of letters from my mom who's trying to be supportive of the whole adventuring thing but really wishes I'd settle down and talk to my uncle about a job at his potion factory, your cousin Ron's been working there five years and he's already a floor manager.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

I dont know anything about monhun but I can answer that question

What you want to do is get the biggest weapon you and find and hit things with it. More bigger = more gooder

This is basically your approach to every game, isn't it?

It's hard to argue with, tbh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's okay for someone to like a different toy than you

It's morally permissible but it sure as hell is not morally praiseworthy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

What gimmick?

"Disagreeing with me."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

He'll. Who wouldnt

I mean it's probably worth more than the usual streaming residuals.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I never used console commands to fast travel in Morrowind, because it had like twenty in-game systems for fast traveling as it was, between boats, mage guild travel, the propylon indexes between the old Dunmer strongholds, and doing a 1-point constant slowfall enchant and a 500-magnitude jump enchant and just leaping across continents.

Morrowind wasn't actually a good game but I had a lot of fun with it for a while.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They also made Remember Me, which was kind of a cyberpunk third person action-adventure. Gameplay was a bit janky and rough but I liked the story.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

the game kinda sucked but the setting was cool

Yeah, that's kind of how I remember (lol) it. I liked the setting and characters, and kind of just tolerated the fights and stuff.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

game reviewers frowny facing at no useful local maps while i'm laughing in morrowind

(daggerfall has very good local maps in comparison, sometimes they're even 3D!)

I just remembered that wonderful Morrowind guidebook that was like 70% maps, like an old-style road atlas.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Starena

Stargerfall

Starrowind

Starblivion

Starrim

The ending of the words is STARSIVI

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I like and support people enjoying games they like. I dislike and mock people who play gamed they hate.

I like the games I hate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

You say you're a book fan? Fine, name 3 books

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Red Baron posted:

okay… hear me out…

36 lessons of Vivec anime

I've not seen Evangelion but I'm still pretty sure "reach heaven through violence" is the theme.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

gollum cannot pick locks wearing a helmet

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

why are you role playing as a cop

Lots of people do evil runs in rpgs

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

i went with yennifer because what triss did to geralt was incredibly hosed up

Didn't yennifer do magical genie shenanigans to hook up with geralt too? (Or maybe that wasn't on purpose, I'm not really up on my pre-3 Witcher lore)

Honestly he should ditch them both and hook up with the doctor lady from the DLC

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aha, I stand corrected but still maintain my position re: Shani (though as per usual she can do better even if he can't)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I've been rewatching The Expanse. Will Starfield just disappoint me in light of this oh who cares I'll buy it on sale in 3 years for ten bucks regardless.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i could beat them all up because the gravity in the real world is heavier than cartoon gravity, which doesn't exist

Martian marines train in 1G which I also do and have my entire life, so I am basically tougher than the toughest soldiers in The Expanse. That's science, that is.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

are there bows in lies of p asking for no particular reason

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I suppose "why the gently caress would I play a game the way it's supposed to be played" is a particular reason

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

part of me wants to feel bad for bow players in Souls games but then i remember that they brought this misery on themselves

I only ever did a bows-and-items run in Elden Ring and I probably wouldn't do it in a game I hadn't beaten in a halfway sensible way first.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dear Konami,

Suggesting that I will be 'ashamed of my words and deeds' goes beyond the role of game designer and furthermore

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Just started Lies of P, when do I unlock the scarlet rot dragon breath?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Scenario where you're a money launderer who's just moved to Stardew Valley and you have to wash millions of dollars in local businesses without turning the community against you before the scary cartel you work for has your family murdered.

STARDEW, COMING SOON TO NETFLIX

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My Lies of P thoughts so far:

I'd heard horror stories about the unofficial prequel known as "Get Gamepass To Recognize My Dualsense Controller" but it worked without a hitch.

More games should have big ponderous opening credits like that.

I'm extremely bad at timed blocks but I'm sure this won't be a critical fundamental part of the game or anything.

The first real boss was substantially easier than that goddamned robot policeman from the tutorial.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's been an age since I've played KOTOR but yeah there are various story reasons to save the Sith planet for last, though you can technically do them in any order

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In Lies of P, I'm on my usual bullshit with Fromlikes (and honestly p much every other game too) where I restart 30 times to make a different starting choice that won't matter one bit if I just stick with the drat game and keep playing.

I've gotten pretty good at beating up that Parade Master boss though. I have not gotten pretty good at Perfect Blocking yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hatebag posted:

well i guess that's the best you could hope for. i never played any of the other knockoffs as they all seemed lame like that one lords of the fallen

It feels very similar to me, but like about 95% of the polish. The combat doesn't feel quite as fluid to me (though it's very good) and I admittedly haven't unlocked most of the cool weapon customization stuff that appears to be the real innovation here. It really wants you to be good at timed blocks though it doesn't seem like it's quite as merciless as it tries to let on.

The atmosphere and the aesthetic of the game itself is fantastic.

Definitely worth a month of Gamepass to try out.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lies of P:

It took an embarrassingly long time for me to beat the Mad Donkey dude because I am not good at game but I mastered the game systems and now fight like a pro got lucky in the end. (I am getting marginally better at perfect blocking and well-timed dodging but I am by no means good at game yet.)

Giant Robert Cop was piss-easy by comparison because the game told me to summon a spectre and I did and it basically soloed him for me.

(Him apparently being called Murphy was a bit on the nose but the sick kid quest was cute and sad so whatevs)

I now have a greatsword blade glued to my rapier handle, as one does. I'm kind of annoyed that all the new weapons I've found are big hitty weapons when the game clearly wants me to be a dodging and parrying fencing fool but I assume that there will be better variety as time goes on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sometimes I want a puzzle to engage my brain and sometimes I just want to mindlessly bimble around while I listen to a podcast. I am large. I contain multitudes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds, Holiday Inn

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

indigi is right that "Lies of P" is a pretty silly name for a videogame but is wrong to avoid the game because of this, because "silly name" is a big part of the FromSoft-derived experience as much as "poison swamp" and "impossible bossfights that become winnable after you complain about them on the internet"

Honestly, I would not have expected "Pinnochio-themed Bloodborne pastiche" to result in anything good either but here we are with one of the best games of a very good game year.

Related: Spent an hour on that loving Survivor fight last night and now I feel like I am slightly less bad at videogame because instead of just getting lucky I worked out how to adapt my mediocre fighting style to him and then also got lucky.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I rerolled again in Lies of P (I know I can respec later but I don't want to respec later I want to respec now) and either I am better at game (lol no) or hitting things with an electric wrench is the way (it's this one).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Al! posted:

is pinhead in fortnite yet

Yeah, and he's shilling for Exxon-Mobil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Was it the giant mischievous puppet in the swamp? Cause yeah, that boy has one hell of a bullshit grab.

Oh god that thing. The entire swamp was miserable (in the best way possible) but I thought I'd seen the worst when the loving bouncy clown puppet came back. And then they managed to do something EVEN WORSE