Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m staking out a controversial position that the 14 HE shells tanks carry in Battlebit should deal like 50% more splash damage to unarmored infantry than it currently does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been playing chivalry for awhile and have like 650 hours and it makes me wish the medieval multiplayer melee space wasn’t so empty, every patch introduces novel new bugs to the extent that I think torn banner deserves some recognition for innovation in dysfunction

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hatebag posted:

Chivalry fuckin rules. I was on a siege tower and it glitched when it deployed so i was standing on the ladder part and got catapulted like 500 ft in the sky and then plummeted back to earth screaming. Amazing game, love the yelling

Chiv really is the only game like this that integrates the absurd stuff into the actual mechanics with serious devotion and it does add a lot having guys doing wrestling moves with chairs, playing the lute, being shot out of catapults, etc

I’m level 530 now and get first place most matches post PS+ but I think the sweaty try hard gameplay is so much better for being alloyed by poo poo like flaming chickens and peasants knocking guys off horses by throwing plows

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hatebag posted:

It's such a fun game and there's a wide variety of objectives that are all fun. Stealing pigs, throwing nobles off a pier, burning a library, killing a guy. It feels great when you complete the objective for your team like when you set the last bookshelf on fire and then whip around and cut some guy's arm off.
It's also pretty easy to identify which players are good and should be approached with caution because they have all the cool looking stuff. And there's a good treadmill of weapons to unlock as well. I got the one handed spear the other day and was just slaughtering people. Glorious!

spears are incredibly competitive with their poking from behind friendly players capacity, good players with spears are insanely annoying. the weapon treadmill is indeed really exceptional, it’s the only game I know of where I can confidently say every single one is Good and Viable once you’ve internalized timing and relative length

I’m level 310 or so vanguard because great sword and Dane Axe/Messer both absolutely whip but have recently been really enjoying the halberd and heavy cavalry sword on footman. HCS is tops for multi target fights cus of its reach and speed, and a 45 damage slash nets a Tk now

I’m Dong Quixote and play frequently, say something if you see me and we can stomp pubbies

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

by the time I finished my Kenshi run every new member of the combat team would be initiated by having their limbs ripped off and being replaced with masterwork scout versions so my little cohort could ninja run across the map at outrageous speeds

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there’s also a lore and mechanics friendly mod that lets you place a surgical limb remover instead of using the bloody implements of the skin guys

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Battlebit is starting to click with me and I’m tearing poo poo up with the BTR/SAW/RPG it’s a really good game for flanking braindead pubbies or littering maps with bombs that they will then mindlessly run into over and over. my sole real complaint is the lack of loadout customization outside of games / presets. there aren’t any presets so you can’t have a like vehicle one with a repair tool ready to go or anything like you should

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

there’s just no other genre besides battlefieldlikes that yields the specific fun feeling of mowing down one or two entire squads that have all spawned/ressed atop one another in a big stupid pile

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah BB has some UI and sound problems. supposedly they’re gonna use some of this money to secure quality field recordings so maps have ambient sound and stuff. equally importantly they need to add a UI and night vision for night maps in vehicles as the BTR doesn’t even have headlights so you literally cannot see anything, even the black ammo counter and turret orientation display are the same black as the night

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

battlebit m249 is insanely good g*ddamn. the bipod is sort of wackily forgiving considering it gives you pinpoint accuracy. then again you can't exploit it to peek around corners without exposing yourself so I guess its better than battlefield in that way.

yeah I’ve unlocked almost all the attachments for it now and it’s like a laser with infinite ammo good for wiping entire squads. I like the other viable support weapon - the G36C - well enough with its own basic attachments to improve it but unfortunately it just doesn’t stack up next to the M249

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

SomethingBeautiful posted:

what does being employed have to do with making progress in life? maybe i just like to listen to a podcast and click on things for a bit sometimes

I lost my dope do nothing wfh job due to state budget cuts last month and have found that games with a stupid grind are suddenly different in the sense that Battlebit’s level 200 gun no longer seems absurd but like an aspiration to replace all the ones a non failson would have

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

FFXI is one of the best MMOs ever made and a good final fantasy game, a singular accomplishment and FFXIV just doesn’t have a scintilla of its charm or mechanical distinctiveness

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tarkov is one of the least fun games I have ever played

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been thinking about how there has been a resurgence of interest in Starship Troopers games, relatively, with the big mod for Squad, the new RTS getting pretty favorable reviews, and I’m pretty sure there’s a multiplayer PVE fps that just came out too, but they’re all predicated on the movie - which is fine because the movie owns and is better than the book in every important way. that being said though the tactics and armaments described in the book are so fundamentally different from anything depicted in any of the subsequent media I feel like an RTS-FPS adapting the original material could be really fun, playing as a guy in a command suit directing a couple squads of cap troopers in the crazy power armor Heinlein describes, leaping around and firing mininukes, rockets, lasers, etc. I imagine a mixture of tribes and Natural Selection 2, wish someone would do such a thing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does the book of starship troopers do stuff with relativity or is that just Forever War

I remember there being a fun book where humanity turns up to genocide some peaceful aliens but by the time the second wave arrives it's been long enough in real time that the aliens have adapted to all their tactics already so every wave keeps showing up to completely different tech or finds that the war is already over or changed.

That's probably just forever war though. I like that book, the only military scifi I've ever read that even attempts to incorporate relativity.

yeah that’s the forever war, which is maybe my favorite scifi novel ever and extremely good + similar to ST in many ways vis-a-vis military scifi, only Haldeman is pretty left wing and thus a much better writer and creator

I’m actually reading The Forever Peace right now, which I’d never read despite being such a Haldeman fan, and it’s really, really good. he wrote it in 1995, 20 years after the forever war, as a sort of inversion - instead of longue duree history of the forever war it’s grounded in a specific time, it’s about a version of the US that has turned into a post scarcity social democratic state but is still engaged in ruthless imperialism abroad as part of a coalition of countries in the first world. it’s easily one of the most interesting and prescient books I’ve read in a long time and I’d really recommend it for anyone interested in science fiction with emancipatory themes and fairly sophisticated politics

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starship Troopers games minus the satire seems like its just an endorsement of fascism???

I mean it doesn’t have to be, there’s no reason a straight adaptation featuring the missions described in the book couldn’t be tonally adjusted to satirize Heinlein’s fascist state, especially if like in NS2 the bugs are a controllable faction and maybe the other aliens from the book are present. mostly I think the bugs as they are in the book - with worker castes they use for diversions, warriors with guns, brains and queens - could have some fun mechanics and the combat parts with the absurdly destructive power armor would be a very different kind of game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

strugatsky and the Noon series are both on my list big time for being earnest explorations of what interstellar communism might actually feel like, probably something close to apotheosis

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

dying light seems terrible but I have a slight interest in both seven days to die and project zomboid, and was astonished to see 7DTD had 80k people playing on a random Friday afternoon so it must have something going for it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

however there are people that do not like/get survival crafting games, and if you're one of them, this probably won't be the one to win you over to the genre.

ah yeah fair enough I like maybe one in ten - subnautica and the forest were fun but I’m struggling to remember any others I stuck with, and it looks a bit janky for my tastes

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

what about zomboid is it actually fun or is it RNG sim hell

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hmm. I like sims well enough but my partner loves zombie media and I suspect she’d dig zomboid’s seemingly meticulous approach to it, might have to check that out

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

project gorgon, the bizarre labor of love early access for ten years MMO developed by three people, is finally on a steep enough sale to merit purchasing so I grabbed it. looking forward to seeing what the world the eccentric weirdos involved have built

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah I’m doing pretty good in Battlebit with a cumulative KD of 1.75 largely because of claymore abuse and lurking in the right spots with the SAW to mow down entire squads. just unlocked the FLIR for the SAW and it’s not nearly as OP as I had hoped but I can see it being really good on dmrs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

i recommend going engie and shooting rpgs. they hit a good balance between useless and carl gustav

yeah heat RPGs, claymores, and a SAW with everything unlocked have pushed my KD in Battlebit up to 1.77. engineer is just incredible

also I unlocked the FLIR last night and I can see it being good on DMRs but it has a short battery and a lag effect on top of normal medium scope problems that make it quite difficult to use with an automatic weapon

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I encountered a red vagrant using DSCM back before DS1 had functional multiplayer in 2015 or something, and at the time the DSCM web of players maxed out at something like 15, and at the time I was connected to like seven other worlds. given the circumstances required to produce a vagrant I tried doing the math once on the likelihood of one making its way through everything required AND the limited connections of DSCM and couldn’t figure it out specifically beyond suspecting i encountered the most rare permutation of a vagrant statistically possible to encounter

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

ya, looks like i got the most basic-bitch one. i should have died so that it could upgrade and go to someone else

nah they’re so rare in DS1 these days you should always attack them imo, and that was def not scripted or anything you ran into an authentic anomaly

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m Dong Quixote on steam with a captain hadddock avatar if anyone wants to squad up. getting dental surgery tomorrow so I expect to be playing a lot this weekend to distract myself from the pain, which will be less intense than what I am currently experiencing but nevertheless quite bad

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’m excited about the deagle I saw a video of a guy just one or two shotting dozens of guys at outrageous ranges, the unica is definitely good but the deagle appears to be broken

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

idk but it seems important for doing damage at a distance. the stats are pretty baffling tbh, a lot of stuff is ostensibly an objective downgrade but in practice merely feels different. I think the low TTK makes a lot of stuff less relevant than it might initially appear? still trying to break myself of the “look for biggest green and slap it on there” habit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

the reason for this is because a lot of the stats barely matter

the TTK is a big factor. the difference in the TTK between the AK 74 and AK 15 is IIRC 20 miliseconds, while the average human reaction time is 200. the groza's TTK is 185ms, the AUG has by far the highest in the game at 300. with basically any gun there is almost no way to react to getting shot by it, you can kill people twice over before you or the person you're shooting at is able to react to it.

armor also is also a bit useless. for a lot of weapons you will die in the same amount of time regardless of if you're wearing a light/medium/heavy helmet, and if you don't die you have 100 milliseconds to somehow react to being shot. the exo armor does sort of make a noticeable difference but still gets hosed over by aim punch.

aim punch randomly moves your crosshairs by a few degrees each time a bullet hits the player. one of the reasons why the vector is so good is because it has a 20 round ROF, giving it potentially the most frequent aim punch in the game, twice as much as the FAL despite having the same DPS. the vector can also pretty reliably hit targets up to 80 meters, so even if you're trying to tap fire with an AR at the edge of its effective range there's still a chance that you're hosed because of the aim punch.

accuracy also barely effects where your bullets go in comparison to other games, the actual stat that determines long range accuracy for automatics is almost entirely horizontal recoil. since it randomly moves the crosshair right or left it's impossible to compensate for, unlike vertical recoil, and it starts having a noticeably negative effect on accuracy at around 0.8-1.1. that's why the SMGs can full blast at 80+ meters and half the ARs are lucky if they can land hits. the Vector has high recoil for an SMG, at around 1.1, while all of the battle rifle type ARs have around 2.2.

the margins are just so low that the noticeable difference between a lot of guns is mostly just recoil, reload time and rate of fire

yeah this is all extremely true. I just unlocked the SG850 or whatever and it’s ostensibly just worse than other guns. in reality though, it’s actually pretty drat good, it seems. I suspect this will be true to some degree with every weapon

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the thing about Battlebit is that all the guns are basically good enough and improve with attachments, but the starter ARs, the SAW, and the Kriss are slightly better than the others in a way that is largely meaningless. preference matters more when TTK is measured in fractions of a second

that being said I’m sure they’ll nerf the vector and do some general balancing, which I would welcome. it’s gonna take me fuckin forever to unlock everything anyway I’m only level 80 and I’ve been playing a lot, hard to imagine ever unlocking all the various attachments anyway

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ll be playing battlebits tonight est I’m hooked and desperately pushing my KD until I get to 2.0

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

lmao battlebits is only 2gb that rules

wonder whats better for going after that kd... 4k or 144hz

I’ve been playing at 2k 144hz and it feels very crisp and clear as far as perceiving targets goes, I’ve been crushing it from time to time and have gotten second place in a couple 127 player matches even

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bought that starship troopers fps, curious to see how it is as I’ve always wanted a solid coop bug fighting FPS and nobody has really tried before

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Substandard posted:

EDF! EDF! EDF! Not an FPS but you co-op and kill many many bugs.

EDF absolutely owns but has a kinda different vibe than what I was thinking of which was specifically like the ST movies and their aesthetic-atmosphere in a coop game, which this seems to do extremely well. I just did my first round and while it’s simple and straightforward it does what it’s doing well for $20. I really like that it added a bunch of bugs from the book to pad things out and every nap has a Federal News Network intro cinematic that is lots of fun

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

starship troopers extermination is super rough around the edges and there isn’t much content but if they develop it out it could be a really fun brainless L4D-but-bigger like. it technically has the same gameplay goals as DRG in the first half of matches (move around the map and initiate + guard resource extraction) but afaik the second half, where the team uses those resources to build a kind of Natural Selection feeling base and defend it for 5 minutes against a big swarm, isn’t, though I haven’t played much DRG as it just wasn’t quite my thing.

anyways that phase is pretty fun, there are basic walls and bunkers, big mounted machine guns, and automatic wall guns. players build the little base so it’s distinct every time. the devs obviously took stuff from both the book and the extended universe of the sequel movies (which aren’t as awful as they should be, 2 is garbage but 3 has a bunch of fun satirical SyFy original attempts to elucidate on the character of governance in the Federation) so there are a decent variety of bugs to fight. I actually really appreciate they added something analogous to the worker bugs (little assholes who accompany warriors, in the books they look similar but are harmless and used as distractions) and the warrior bugs (bugs with murderous biological laser beams that could cut through power armor) from the book, along with some gigantic silly ones from the other media that actually look really cool. I dig the tiger stripe behemoth one it’s like a very high quality Tyrannid design

it kinda clicked during extraction phase when the whole team was rushing to the lander and an extremely well manifested mantling animation brought me over a ledge where there were a bunch of teammates running past an exploding plasma artillery bug and federation music was blasting. unfortunately the gun play feels weirdly floaty and inconsequential, there are like six weapons, and there’s a latency problem (or just performance concession?) that makes bug animations simple/not present in huge scrums, but that’s the kinda stuff I expect from an EA game still

I probably wouldn’t recommend it at all if you’re not a fan of Starship Troopers as a franchise since it is objectively a worse version of the other entries in this genre but I’m glad someone finally tried to make this specific game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Al! posted:

i'm actually at a point where i'm thinking about shelving battlebit and coming back in a couple of months to see what's improved

yeah I can see some of the small frustrations really accumulating and it’s like 100% sure they’ll fix them and then some in the next few months. it’ll probably feel considerably different once all the qol stuff like visual triangles and egregious (vector) issues are balanced out

that being said I’m weirdly hooked and want to unlock every weapon. got my KD up to 1.84 too, feel closer than ever to that 2.0

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Gonna play this some day, sounds like a good time. I hope it comes to gamepass

I’d say it feels like it’s worth the $20 it is on sale but like, just barely, it feels like a licensed game you’d pull out of a bin in front of EB games on mega clearance but then it turns out to be kinda good and memorable despite the weirdness like Septerra Core or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

if extermination adds a power suit class and a neo dog handler class i will become its greatest exponent. the dog handlers in the book are a fuckin cool idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

working on unlocking everything for the AK15 and I’m learning it’s actually an excellent gun but simply cannot be used in any mode other than full auto, in contrast with BF3/4 where burst mode was king poo poo on HC servers. the SG850 is also surprisingly good it does lower damage but has SMG style grouping and shits out bullets in the same way, gonna work on attachments for that

also I keep dying to the level 150 gun, some of these sweatlords going 75-5 every round and prestiging already are completely nuts