Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ff16 has more cutscenes than mgs4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

smarxist posted:

12 is really good in a lot of ways that aren't the main story (which does get decent by the end)

if you loved FF8, and you like more open ended exploratory gameplay, it's probably the last great FF for you

you gotta vibe with the gambit system tho

8 is my second or third favorite and I loving hate 12

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ben Nerevarine posted:

FFXVI owns but these are some of the lowest effort sidequests I’ve ever seen

there's an argument to be made that it contains the best boss battle in video game history

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ff16 is a medieval ff8

i will not be elaborating further

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

tenderjerk posted:

the soundtrack to ff 16 is incredible from the clips i watched but is this game really just kingdom hearts qte bullshit with very high production values

i'm about 65% through based on what the ps5 home screen thing tells me, though i have no idea how they map the main story events to that percentage, so take my opinion based on that. to me, there are some kingdom hearts vibes that start about a third of the way in, mostly with regards to characters, but unlike kingdom hearts the story generally remains as logical as a final fantasy game possibly can

the qtes get kind of old but the spectacle is perhaps unlike any other in a video game. there are also more total cutscenes in ff16 than either death stranding or mgs4, so if you don't like cutscenes then you'll hate it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

Good. The game rules

i'm close to 75% of the way through because i've done a bunch of the side quests and the immediate reaction is that i'd rank it 4th. that's not the tallest ask since half the games in the series are average at best

7 > 10 > 8 > 16 > 5 > 6 > 4 , some order of 1, 2, 3, 9, and 15 as they all have their own problems > 12. 8 and 10 are more or less interchangeable in the order for different reasons. i never finished 13 but at least the world is interesting in theory and not a retread generic fantasy realm, so i'd probably still put it right below 4. i need to actually get through it at some point.

11 and 14 are hard to put in. 11 has problems for its era and barrier to entry but it's been around for over 20 years and had some interesting design with regards to subclasses and combat. shadowbringers was legitimately very good and i didn't bother with endwalker but a lot of the other expansions bored me, although they've made quality of life improvements since. i played og 14 for a hot second though and it truly was utter dogshit .

the thing with 16 is that it's loving long by final fantasy standards and probably has more cutscenes than any single player game ever made, so it's not something i would rush to play through again in the context of doing a hard mode for trophies and skipping cutscenes, but the spectacle really is matched by few other games. there is some dumb padding, even if it's not as bad as what ff7r did (though i think 7r is the better game because of its treatment of the source material and the combat is the best of any rpg i've ever played), but you get to the next eikon fight and it's all just utterly absurd in the best way.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

finished ff16

all i can say is jesus loving christ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

good jesus christ or bad jesus christ

yes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's a hard game to play through again because it's unbelievably loving long by final fantasy standards and has some extremely bad pacing in parts, but i would still rank it 3rd or 4th in the series

if they somehow fixed some of the pacing issues like they did with ff15 it could arguably be #2

Ben Nerevarine posted:

how long did it take you? this game just goes and goes

the credits are rolling but home screen thing was pushing 48 hours last i checked a couple hours ago, so say about 50 hours. i did a fair number of sidequests but i skipped the 15-20 they throw at you to finish the game because it'd probably take another 10+ hours

if you don't do many sidequests you're still looking at close to 40 hours

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

that sounds promising

I do love spectacular train wrecks

better than 15 from the sounds of it and I beat that one

i played 15 at launch and ardyn and the ending were the only good parts. the ending was almost good enough to make up for the rest of the game, almost

and i know they later fixed all the poo poo in chapter 13 where you had no equipment or whatever in the prison and it was utterly miserable

16 is unfathomably better and anyone who gave it a bad review is an idiot or just isn't the target demographic for final fantasy games. the game's biggest sins are the mmo-like dialogue cameras (handing items offscreen etc), some disparity in character model quality, and the pacing between eikon battles, specifically in the second half

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm also glad that the game upheld the generally respected final fantasy tradition of having its final boss battle in some variation of outer space

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the credits are still rolling. they are so long

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

they are literally like 25 minutes long. i guess it's to kinda let you mellow out after yoshi-p's wild ride

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Popy posted:

broke: Unskippable 5 year long cutscene every time you use a summon

Woke: What if 5 year long summon cutscene was also a boss fight

none of them end and it kicks rear end

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ben Nerevarine posted:

the most unbelievable thing about FFXVI is that after 5 years they still ain't fukcin

they eventually do, or at least it's implied

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

all of the eikon fights after the first one seem lame tbh. that one is cool and it makes it seem like it's some giant monsters fighting but after that it's like ifrit just moves around like it's regular person sized

lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ff7r rules and everyone should play it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

indigi posted:

Every day's great at your Junes

:hai:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ff6 is the sixth best final fantasy

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

7 > 10 == 8 > 16 > 5 > 6 > 4 > 1/2/3/9/13/15 in any order, who gives a poo poo >>>>>>>>>>> 12

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i hope ralph ineson does more video games

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

indigi posted:

Every day's great at your Junes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the conversation leading into the bahamut fight has clive's best voice acting in the game and possibly the best of any game i've ever heard

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

not really even exaggerating. his VA killed it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

FFX voice acting was always very good, especially for the time when it was released.

I would unironically argue that FFX has better English voice acting than nearly any other dubbed Japanese video game I can think of except something like FF16 (where the game was literally made with the English VA in mind). There's issues with awkward pausing, but that's primarily caused by being one of the earliest heavily voice-acted games and is also present in the Japanese version, rather than being related to the actual voice-acting itself. I actually played the remaster on PC a few months ago with the Japanese dub, and was surprised at how accurate the English VAs were - some characters almost sound like the same VA speaking in both English and Japanese. Auron is probably the biggest difference among the main cast, but not in a bad way.

Also, the Tidus laughing scene is good (and is almost the exact same in Japanese). It's genuinely a great scene that communicates things about the characters much better than the writing in most other narrative-driven video games I've played. FFX in general is quite good about characterization through showing vs telling.

ffx is great game as a teen and a superb game as an adult

also iirc the reason for the cadence was because character speech was coded against the japanese audio, so they had to contain all of the english voice acting within a specific, equivalent window of time or the game would crash

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

World War Mammories posted:

the most cspam game is dwarf fortress

no, it's ff7

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

indigi posted:

drat the Igor VA in P5 is a real step down from the guy in 3/4

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i played ff legend 3 as a kid when i got it off some other kid who somehow had it for who knows what loving reason and it loving ruled

in fact, now that i think about it, if you just consider it a final fantasy by english title it might have been the first one i ever played

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

all i remember was that the final boss was wacky, you had a cool rear end spaceship, and you could eat flesh that transformed you into monsters and robots and poo poo

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the final boss music slapped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTf9r2fEAmQ

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

is bg3 worth the money if i've never played one before and aren't a d&d player, or is it pretty essential that you're into that kind of gameplay? it seems like everyone's raving about it but i don't trust gamers

just trying to get a feel for "if you like X then you'll like this" cause i know zero about the series

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i have never played a larian game

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

in hindsight i can't believe the scores this game got at release. it was absolute dogshit

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

KirbyKhan posted:

Thanks, sounds like a great final fantasy can't wait

despite its flaws it's probably a top four ff for me

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

people keep buying that garbage, but yeah there's a bazillion products and i think commander is the only format keeping the game part alive at this point even though it's absolute dogshit

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if they manage to not completely gently caress it up, lorcana is going to sell like gangbusters and could reasonably push into the #2 spot behind pokemon with regards to sales

gencon was apparently nuts for it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

jfc they're doing a final fantasy universes beyond? there's already an entire final fantasy tcg

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Playing FF7 on release was mindblowing, there had never been anything like it.

i played it in 99ish, maybe very early 00, so it was still only a couple years old in the us by that point. it was in fact the coolest poo poo ever

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i finally bothered to play ffx2 the entire way through and i think if you include it in the main series it might be the second worst entry. possibly even the absolute worst. i realize why i never finished it back at release

the combat system is not anywhere near as good as people like to think and the story was bad then and even worse now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I bounced off it at release and tried again immediately after doing the ffx remaster earlier this year.

My wife, who had watched thru the whole ffx remaster with me, put up with about 15 minutes of ffx2 before finding something else to do. Her eyes rolled harder than she did watching the opening of Bayonetta.

I played for about 6 hours and then realized I really wasn't enjoying it on any level. I think part of the issue was that I'm driven to try and max out my AP gain in fights, but thats not actually a fun way to play.

i've tried to get my wife to play more games as a shared interest and wanted her to play through ffx, but as soon as she saw lulu she kinda lost interest. i could probably try to convince her to just ignore the one particularly stupid character design (let's be real that 95% of spira's population looks ridiculous, but lulu is not great) and i think she would like it, plus the ctb system kicks rear end and is much more manageable for a non gamer than atb. it's also got one of the more coherent plots once you understand the whole zanarkand concept.

x2 takes it to a whole new level of terrible though. i have no idea what they were thinking beyond the obvious.