Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I'm sobbing because the video games are too expensive. If I buy more than twenty games in a month i might not be able to max out my various investment fund contributions for that period. The video game developers are literally taking food out of my family's mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Zokari posted:

it's funny how everyone in this thread apparently fantasizes about being an amazon delivery driver

Sam Porter Bridges has a badass job. He hikes and goes on road trips for a living. Everyone he meets gives him food and shelter and equipment and validation because they recognize his contributions to society. I would sell you into slavery for a job like that, I don't care how heavy the packages are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Lostconfused posted:

What makes it a mech though?

Edit: Well V Gundam had something like

That's a wheel, bud, which is nothing like a horseshoe crab.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Mr Hootington posted:

I finished Hogwart's Legacy. There is zero blood libel in the story. That claim was made up.

Pretty disappointing.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Fuckt Tupp posted:

congrats on beating a game for children to prove some randos wrong, guy who is always accusing goons of not being normal

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

??? what a weirdly confrontational response

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Sergiy Grygorovych is almost certainly a slava sonnenrad guy. Nevertheless, or perhaps because of this, Stalker 2 is going to rip.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I keep trying to get into Pacific Drive and it's just not working for me. Not sure why, it's practically custom made for me. Maybe some day. In the meantime, more S.T.A.L.K.E.R. G.A.M.M.A. and Starsector while my cooldown on Escape From Tarkov ticks down.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Salt Fish posted:

It has a poo poo ton of menus and the menu interactions are janky as hell.

You know those tab menus where you hit L1 and R1 to switch tabs? Any time you nest those in multiple layers where now L2 ard R2 move the other tabs you have hosed up big time on your UI.

The whole inventory system is designed to make you miserable I swear.

Cool game though still going to play it.

The UI is quite bad in many regards, I agree.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Picked up Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion after it being mentioned in this thread. Having a good time making an honest living and handing out gifts in the starting village as my mc, Vinegar Shrimp. So far I've recruited three companions: a loser old man, a vagrant, and a teenage runaway. Excited to see what lies outside the village after I finish bribing everyone here to be my lifelong pal.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Loquacious' wife gets furious when she is unable to complete tune out his presence beyond another $20k hitting the accounts every month.

Speaking of challenging relationships with women, I appreciate that Hero's Adventure: Road to Passion includes combat mechanics for misogyny. There should be more games that offer this kind of representation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

It's hosed up that the Virtua Fighter franchise isn't on PC. Devastating L for Sega.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Zokari posted:

they are

in yakuza

That's not the same and you know it you son of a bitch!!

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

tired:

wired:

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

The best evil crpg campaign in my opinion is Tyranny. You're a mid-level functionary for a conquering warlord and your job is to facilitate a smooth occupation of the conquered territory and its people. Your main choices are hey I just work here or deposing the boss and taking the war machine for yourself. At no point is freeing the Tiers or anywhere/anyone else from bondage even considered as an option. IIRC you can do a little mustache twirling but not much, you're just a cog in an evil machine much bigger than yourself. Good stuff.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Brink burned me so bad I never preordered a video game again.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Jehovah's Witness utopian art is badass. Watchtower ftw.

Enduring a frustrating losing streak in Tarkov the last couple days so I've been replaying Final Fantasy 6 (Pixel Remaster) for some peace and comfort. It's pleasant to be around fun old friends, such as the traumatized child, the other traumatized child, the traumatized man, etc.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Mr. Sharps posted:

point and click adventures rule and I’m mega stoked for tbe upcoming riven remaster

A Riven fan, huh...

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Some time last week I think folks were talking about a newish jrpg thats like the modern distillation of the genre and good but I can't remember the name. Was it CrossCode?

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I can't settle on anything the last few weeks so I'm ready to buy my way out of this.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Al! posted:

crosscode is more like lttp. probably chained echoes.

This was it. Thanks, friend.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

!!!

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Al! posted:

im hearing tragically that playing chained echoes violates bds

That was a major selling point for me.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Been thinking about it and the optimal number of Hitlers per JRPG is 3. One main Hitler antagonist, the Hitler behind the Hitler you find out about in the last couple hours, and a non-party Hitler on the protag's side to tut-tut and moralize at. Ideally Hitler Prime has a crew of 3-6 lieutenants of a Goebbels/Himmler/Göring nature, most with their own dungeons. Check out my Substack for more.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Just play video games like normal people you fuckin dorks.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

duhh buuhhh cya honey gotta strap myself into The Apparatus for a few hours so i can run in place pretending to smell duke nukem's balls

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Al! posted:

video games in general at least the kind goons like are still pretty cringe tbh

Tarkov is based, actually.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I'm as goony as they get and yet register 0 cringe when scanned. Skill issue.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

The Metal Gear movie is going to fuckin rip actually.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

There has never been a bad MG product.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Elder Scrolls 6 is going to be fun as hell. Everyone makes mistakes, I still trust Todd.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

If you enjoyed Fallout's survival mode but still haven't played Stalker G.A.M.M.A. (free) I'm going to plug your rear end with a Junk Jet.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

You're wrong, Mr. Beast. Starfield was a masterpiece that modern gamers are too stupid and indolent to understand.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Seinfeld-style RPG

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

If you refuse to play with pubbies you are a fake gamer and a coward and will never see Valhalla.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Third World Reagan posted:

if you use the word pubbie instead of people, you got brain rot

Jealous?

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Homeless Friend posted:

Look at you, pubbie: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my local server. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal admin?"

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Buddykins posted:

Ive been playing the finals and forgot how much i enjoyed competitive multiplayer with good teamwork. are there any other good ones besides the obvious like apex and cod and fortnite or whatever? I think i get addicted to the unlocking customisation poo poo. even co-op would be cool too

You should try Escape from Tarkov. Absurd amounts of gear, and its weapon customization system is very deep. You also have a base to build up that takes a lot of time and resources but provides very substantial benefits. RPG-style stats? It's got em. Both co-op and lone wolf styles are viable and have their own pros and cons. Wipes are semi-annual so you're not getting bored and burned out as your gear and cash plateau forever. The learning curve is quite steep, and you will get poo poo on a lot for your first wipe. But as you learn and grow you will experience transcendent highs surviving and extracting with a high-value find, or ambushing and wiping out player teams carrying millions of roubles in equipment and loot. Buy the base game and give it an honest attempt for a month imo. If you still like it the account upgrades are also worth.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Buck Wildman posted:

don't do it it's a trick

Not everyone is strong enough to make it in Norvinsk. There's plenty of ways to survive and thrive even with limited reflexes and bad vision (like me).

KirbyKhan posted:

Yes, as well.

I did a 40 hour Tarkov tour, I still watch AquaFPS. It is a good video game for crazy people. Right up there with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead when it comes to mechanical granularity.

But oh man, after eating poo poo from AI and rats and chads or whatever for 25 hours you do a thing that's would be considered a mild success and it feels like heroin. One Saturday I just Extract Camped and ruined sum nerds morning and that was just :chefkiss:

You can physically feel the impotent fury emanating from the corpses of the slain. I consider it my duty to remove good gear from circulation, so I spend a lot of time ratting with trash gear, stripping meta poo poo from the dead, then selling it to the vendors instead of running it. It translates to a lower survival rate and less liquidity overall but a. who cares about s/r and b. busted AKMs cost next to nothing and BP rounds are cheap if the rest of your kit is bargain basement poo poo.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

I'm going to trap all of you in the water purifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Chained Echoes fuckin rips. Thanks to the folks who suggested it and also reminded me what it was called. It's got a hard focus on what's good about JRPGs and rips out everything that's tedious or gotcha bullshit. 10/10