Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Buck Wildman posted:

like a dozen metal gears took on pre-borg raiden and lost so color me unimpressed

Although that boss room is done up like a VR Missions room so who can say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The only exceptions I make for this are Kojima Productions and Fromsoft

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The coolest thing about Portable Ops is if you take out bosses non-lethally you can recruit them and play as them, and some have unique stats or abilities. That would have been a neat system to see in Peace Walker and MGSV.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Grey Fox posted:

the vibe in SF6 is absolutely mesmerizing; I actually have to force myself to take breaks or else I'm gonna tear up my thumb and I can't play at all

Tbh I can't play for more than 2 hours at a time without my execution suffering because there's an insane amount of variables to process second-to-second. I'm waffling between high gold and low plat in ranked and it's so drat fun. Rounds are usually 30 seconds or less and I usually don't wait more than that long between opponents.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Armored Core VI preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64ChiBxhk4U

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RandomBlue posted:

no i love msg, 5 seems like too much though

MGSV has the best stealth gameplay of any game ever. People poo poo on the plot but imo plot is the least consequential or interesting thing about MGS. The presentation rules because Kojima doesn't just try to present a cinematic representation of espionage like the earlier MGS games. MGSV presents everything as a byzantine fog of war where you often don't get basic intel about an objective until after the mission is over, or pre-mission intel deviates wildly from what you can learn on the ground. It has easily some of Kojima's best-ever characterization and even with some cut corners is just a blast to play.

That said I'm glad he's moved onto Death Stranding because it's his masterpiece and I can't wait for 2.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

drat horror queefs posted:

Maliketh is a good boy

It was cool that they pulled off another Artorias but let you hang out with him first. I was really glad to have collected all the death roots before the fight since you got some unique dialog from it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Nanomashoes posted:

MGS5s budget was super high because they spent a ton of it developing their own proprietary multiplatform engine that ran super well on even past-generation consoles (seriously, mgs5 runs great even on ps3/360) that was supposed to be used for all of konamis games going forward. Since konami shuttered all of those, the fox engine has been used for Pro Evolution Soccer and the mgs3 pachinko machine.

This. I don't know why anyone would side with the Konami C suite over Kojima Productions on this. MGSV sold well and even after the Japanese and American studios were dissolved they shat out PES games, Survive, pachinko etc. to milk the engine further.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

World War Mammories posted:

ds1 has the distinction of having the best world design, by which I mean the extremely tight physical construction of lordran. things like firelink having an elevator up to the parish while also overlooking blighttown, the centipede demon sitting there plain as day visible from the pre-demon firesage stairs with all the capra demons if you know where to look, lost izalith’s dome on the left from the entrance to the demon ruins, the sudden realization that darkroot is the exact same location as the royal gardens in the dlc, etc. that it all fits together with extremely minimal trickery is a triumph

now, how much someone cares about that is a different question, but out of the three, ds1 obviously does it the best. only bloodborne comes close (and poo poo like the forbidden woods snake eater ladder leading to iosefka’s clinic are also extremely good)

This and DS1 has the best flow of all their games (at least up until you get the Lordvessel) because the lack of fast travel combined with all the harrowing encounters and excellent world design gives the whole experience a heroic feel. Bloodborne is a close second place because even with fast travel you still have incredibly tight world design that even reinforces a major theme of the game. But DS1 definitely has some secret sauce that From hasn't totally replicated yet.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lmao

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If they render all the Gamebryo bugs faithfully I'll allow it

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Grey Fox posted:

yes here and there, hoping to catch SF6 specifically

Yeah I've been watching pools and already there's been some good matches. Will be interesting to see how things shake out over the next couple days. I'm wondering how prominent Rashid will be since his SF6 iteration is so new

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lpzie posted:

There's a blind guy about to play on stream. Wow, SF6 is the future.

Just watched this match and it was sick. That accessibility feature with audio cues is really cool.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

croup coughfield posted:

congrats and wb brother. peace walker for sure

This. Godlike game

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

snoremac posted:

I'm properly playing Silent Hill 2 for the first time and was really caught out by the moment where James and Maria move through a spiralling narrow corridor and pyramid head suddenly appears behind Maria, but he's not pronounced by any sound or visual prompt and is just visible in the darkness behind her, and then I started rushing forward and there's still no flourish whatsoever to accompany his presence. That was brilliant.

Incredibly jealous of anyone playing this for the first time. It obviously gets talked up a lot but it's reputation is totally deserved. I play it every few years and it still holds up beautifully.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

She's right

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RandolphCarter posted:

playing silent hill 2&3 on hard puzzle difficulty really made teenage me feel dumb as hell

The SH3 hard puzzles are completely insane. SH2 even has a secret puzzle difficulty that only unlocks after you've beaten easy, medium, and hard puzzle difficulty. It's also insane but has some very pretty writing in it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

RandolphCarter posted:

I wish I didn’t have to sell my silent hill collection :(

I stupidly sold my PS2 copies of 2-4 before the HD bundle came out because I assumed it would be competent lol. Ended up repurchasing them along with a PS2 at a huge markup several years ago. At least 4 has a good GOG port.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Double posted like moron

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Mary/Maria's voice actor is legit great and everyone else is suitably uncanny and off-putting

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

snoremac posted:

Finished Silent Hill 2. When it's doing story it's hammy but even with over two decades of age where it does look very old in certain respects there's strokes of excellent horror directing. The third quarter (from the nightmare hospital to when you reach the boat) stands out. I felt a sense of dread when you go down the very long elevator expecting to enter a mine or sewer and emerge in silent, dimly lit office hallways that shouldn't be there.

Something that really stands out with SH1 and 2 is just how great the pre-rendered models look. Famously Takayoshi Sato, the CGI director, lived full time in the Konami office during SH1's development to singlehandedly perfect all the CGI cutscenes. The scene in 2 of James and Maria talking between the bars as she veers between personas is probably the most chilling horror moment period for me. I get why they went for in-engine custscenes with Silent Hill 3 because those are some of the best character models on the PS2, but I would loved to have seen what Sato could pull off with even more experience under his belt.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Aug 10, 2023

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

She's right. Every Blanka and E Honda player has taken this advice to heart, much to my dismay

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Buck Wildman posted:

like the other recent mks I'll watch the story mode and all the fight intro banter on youtube and feel like I got everything I wanted to out of the game

This. Street Fighter 6 is gonna be my only fighting game until Tekken 8 probably, but I enjoy their story modes for how dumb they are. Cool that they made Shujinko a cameo fighter because I figured they'd just draw a curtain over those PS2 games since most people didn't like them.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Don't know how I missed it but this Monkey King Sekiro game looks dope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF56Ht3F1IA

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Whirling posted:

blasphemous 2 is fun but also i feel like it's going to be somewhat shorter than 1

I still need to play the DLC of the first game (and also play it in Spanish). I really loved Blasphemous, insta-kill spikes and all. But for now I'm playing Aria of Sorrow so I can finish off the GBA Castlevanias.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm (I think) nearly done with Aria of Sorrow and drat this is neck and neck with Symphony of the Night as far as IGAvanias go. I really like the souls system and there's some decent difficulty spikes here and there. Definitely the best of the GBA Castlevanias overall. I've been meaning to play Bloodstained for years, but now I really want to play it.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Bloodstained is sick. Thank you Iga

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

punished milkman posted:

are they going to make a new one??? that game owned

I think so yeah. I need to play the 8-bit style spinoffs before then.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
New SF6 trailer for their redo of F.A.N.G. and I'd say they pulled it off. Her animations are crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_871izU8Fpg

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Bethesda games do nothing for me because the jank is charming for a few days but otherwise they're just not that interesting or fun. Godspeed to the X-Box goons because at least their console has games

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

You know someone's opinions are worthwhile when they have a shelf littered with action figures behind them

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Playing Gravity Rush 2 and it's just as charming as the first one. RIP Japan Studio

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Augus posted:

silent hill 3???

This baffled me too lol. Heather is a rebellious ex-smoker teen who tazes fat goon monsters on the subway. Seems like they'd be horrified by that level of liberation.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Al! posted:

im going to play disco elysium 10000000 times and bankrupt ilmar kompus

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mean Baby posted:

I haven’t played Lies of P, but it looks awesome.

Rather than making some generic Souls-like. They took the best one, did their own spin on it while maintaining the aesthetic, and didn’t try to do too much.

I’ll eventually play it, but curious of anyone else’s forays into the full game.

The demo was really good. It doesn't play like Bloodborne at all imo, more like Dark Souls 3 plus an emphasis on parries. Not a day one purchase for me but I will definitely get around to it in the next few months.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
There's so much from this year that I probably won't get around to until next year - RE4 remake, FFXVI, ACVI, BG3, etc. - but at least by then everything will be like $40 or less

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
With Tokyo Game Show next week I hope we get a new Death Stranding 2 trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

uber_stoat posted:

looking forward to Sekiro going all MGR on an Armored Core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxw5oMg-tjE

lol sick

I really hope we get a Sekiro sequel one day