Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
any Plok! fans out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
thinking about Plok! reminded me of Trog! for the NES, but I couldn’t remember the exact name, just that it had cartoonish cavemen in it, so I googled “nes caveman games” and not only is Trog! one of several caveman games for the NES, but there was a game for it called Caveman Games

the more you know

play Trog!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jazerus posted:

cavemen were weirdly common in pre-3d era games. i don't think any of them survived the transition to 3d

Tail of the Sun tried but sadly it was the swan song of the cavemen era

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

croup coughfield posted:

also like every survival game starts with doing caveman poo poo. clubbing women, etc

open world Adventure Island when

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Joe & Mac in VR

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
come pray, m’amigo

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
went to hell and all I got was this Baja Blast (it’s good though)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I don’t play a ton of games these days so I don’t mind paying full price for a game every 2 or 3 months

shame about Diablo 4 though, definitely got burned there

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

My man the diablo 4 train wreck was pretty clear after the beta.

I don't think any other game released this year will be worth $70 except starfield if it works.

nah, I enjoyed the beta, the cinematics were cool and the combat felt chunky enough for the first 20 levels or whatever it was

my problems with the game appeared after that, where the complexity of the combat never really got any more interesting, the scaling gave the difficulty some weird troughs and spikes, and it had me running halfway across the continent without a mount

gave me that bad mmo flavor that was totally absent from the beta

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
licensed Space Truckers game with a digitally de-aged Dennis Hopper giving you fetch quests over the space CB radio

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

punished milkman posted:

i love my enormous gay fortnite child

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
FFXVI owns but these are some of the lowest effort sidequests I’ve ever seen

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

triple sulk posted:

there's an argument to be made that it contains the best boss battle in video game history

from what I’ve seen so far I could believe that, the Eikon fights are spectacular

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
like if you showed me the Phoenix vs Ifrit fight at the beginning of the game to me when I was like 8 I probably would have had a seizure and died

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Al! posted:

kojima make a game about the childhood of Fatman

Sam, Jake N. Fatman here

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Which is the superior (and correct) option: DLSS or FSR?

as a rule I’d say use whichever based on your card, but in general DLSS. ymmv depending on if it’s DLSS 2 vs 3

3 is better performance than 2 but instead of upscaling, it’s AI dreaming up interpolated frames which can lead to weird artifacts

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the fact that it's that simple is part of why it sucks. though the issue is probably more that you get to design from scratch, rather than having to slowly fix like a 1960s remodel of the city that included building a 10 lane highway right through the middle. but i get that not everyone wants "Victoria, but a city builder". having to deal with the consequences of the philosophies of previous planners (and their evil overlords) is an integral part of being an urban planner to my mind.

there is this awesome YouTube series where this guy (a goon, in fact, and a leftist to boot) plays a city from pre-history (read: pre-colonialism) through to present and having to correct and accommodate all his historically accurate fuckups along the way while talking about issues like eminent domain and such

as a bonus it’s based on Philadelphia and its
history

it was all the rage in the Games C:S thread for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTfuA2hXi8s

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

stay safe, gamers

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
the ghost of Metzen haunts these hallowed halls

some say late at night you can still hear snorts from the C-level men’s room and slurps from the mothers’ room

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Oh it'll be loving trash when they start doing "seasons" or whatever

seasons were the saving grace of D3, you could get the full experience in like 10 hours, short and sweet

I don’t think that would even be possible in D4 given its ludicrous map

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Butcher sucked me off??

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Nichael posted:

what is a pvpve extraction shooter

a tarkov-like

couldn’t tell you what a tarkov is though

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
that genre *dismissive hand gesture* peaked with *names first game of any genre that comes to mind* Cliffy B’s magnum opus LawBreakers

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

i can’t believe you’ve done this

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Fortnite is not the panacea of gaming BUT it is superior to pubg by every conceivable metric

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Does the book of starship troopers do stuff with relativity or is that just Forever War

I remember there being a fun book where humanity turns up to genocide some peaceful aliens but by the time the second wave arrives it's been long enough in real time that the aliens have adapted to all their tactics already so every wave keeps showing up to completely different tech or finds that the war is already over or changed.

That's probably just forever war though. I like that book, the only military scifi I've ever read that even attempts to incorporate relativity.

my memories of reading Starship Troopers is the dude low grav jumping in a power suit over a desolate landscape for half the book

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

a his dark materials game but only focused on the wheeled elephants. maybe some kind of diddy kong racing thing

I’ll start the Starfield NexusMods page

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Koirhor posted:

Cyberpunk half off, they got that fixed right?

the upcoming dlc (powered by Idris Elba) overhauls a lot of the systems in the game, and a lot of them will come to the base game for free, but how successful an overhaul it will be remains to be seen

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

I've been playing Parasite Eve on my Steam Deck (only have one sadly..) and it's been pretty cool. Pretty gruesome stuff its a lot like The Thing with all the body horror. Would love a remake it in the style of the new Final Fantasy's with the active combat

one of my favorites games, I must have played through it half a dozen times in my teens. did the Chrysler building and all. I started playing it on my Deck but having to tap X constantly to find things hidden around the static backgrounds is a real drag. a community mod to fix that could really catapult it into the 21st century

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
sitting here enjoying FFXVI but I’m thinking bout thos Syx

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

triple sulk posted:

finished ff16

all i can say is jesus loving christ

how long did it take you? this game just goes and goes

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
the most unbelievable thing about FFXVI is that after 5 years they still ain't fukcin

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

wakka fucks tho?

learn your Roman numerals

and you better believe Wakka fucks :hai:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Final Fantasy X-1.5: Secret of the Belts

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 doesn't have any right to be this good, the offshoot of the DQ series have been always a goldmine but Builders is really top notch stuff now that Dark Cloud is MIA

it’s a true gem of a game, the story takes a while to get through but once you’re free to build up your island? :getin:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Dat Titan fight baby. :dukedog:

did it last night. poo poo my pants.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Clive Saying “Thank you” Supercut (14h 26m)

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Al! posted:

so the guy's a world class fisherman and sushi chef? doesn't seem like that much of a loser to me

get this: he likes anime

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I get what people are saying when they say FFXVI isn’t a “real” Final Fantasy but it’s also way better than whatever a “real” one would have been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
do people not use bookmarks? this is gaming erasure!