Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
the summer is here and usually that means I marathon an entire show while I lust for heat death.

this year, sadly, im torn between what shows to watch?? so I turn to those who I wouldn’t trust as far as I could throw them: you all.

the crux is, I have options to consider but which pony I put money on - no clue. I am indecisive to a dangerous degree!

contenders:

The Wire
Pros:
- I can finally say I watched the wire
- I think Idris Elba is in a season of this?

Cons:
- I’ve heard the quality swings wildly from season to season a la true detective, which is a shame.
- I know this show will bum me out one way or another.

Murder She Wrote
Pros:
- Angela Lansbury
- I’m watching Poker Face now and wow, would like to see more of this genre.

Cons:
- there are a ton of seasons and much like any show created prior to 2015, the international streaming rights are garbage. I’m up to three different streaming services over how many goddamn episodes? Unreal.
- I presume this song is not featured within the show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-av7F1JBmj4

Frasier
Pros:
- I’ve seen a lot of episodes as a kid and I thought this show sucked. Saw some as an adult, turns out you need to be a snobby little nerd to like it, so naturally I’d love to revisit.
- I think every episode is streaming here on one consistent, which I’m shocked about.

Cons:
- I know this show aged like poo poo. I’m certain of it. Maybe not Friends bad. I think there are right wing militia pamphlets that have aged better than Friends, honestly.
- I will most likely hate Frasier Crane before I finish the show. This could be the point of the show?

Seinfeld
Pros:
- I’m deeply ashamed that I’ve only seen a few episodes, so shame is a pro
- How did I watch CYE and never bothered with Seinfeld??

Cons:
- oh boy, Jerry Seinfeld, woof. I’d honestly be watching it for pretty much everyone but him
- I will be terribly nostalgic for the NY of my childhood

The Sopranos
Pros:
- I’ve heard it’s consistently fantastic and it really showcased James Gandolfini at his best.
- I have a horrendous schoolgirl crush on Michael Imperioli for a while now. My brain is broken but you knew that.

Cons:
- there are not as many twists and surprises left as I think everyone under the age of 60 watched the show growing up and I’m familiar with it via osmosis at this point. It was massive when I was a kid.
- if Seinfeld will make me wistful, The Sopranos would make it far, far worse.

Help me GBS I will absolutely ignore any advice you give me as is per the law I think??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Watch the wire it's good. Sopranos becomes monotonous after season 4.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

watch nothing. stare at the ceiling and reflect.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Watch the Pig’s balls.
:pigsballs:

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Coronation Street slaps/pounds/rips/slays/is nice

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
The wire is consistently good throughout. The last season is considered weaker than the others by some but imo it's more of a tonal shift than a quality drop. It will probably bum you out though. I agree with the poster above that the sopranos gets monotonous but the first two seasons are excellent

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Seinfeld and Frasier aren't great rewatches now, mostly because of the 'Seinfeld Is Unfunny' trope (Extreme time sink warning: TVTropes). Everyone that came afterwards has aped it so much, that it just seems middle-of-the-road now.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeinfeldIsUnfunny

I'd love to recommend The Rookie though. It's just a fun, fairly neat crime drama with comedy elements. Nothing overly involved, you can dip in and out anytime.

Henry Lee Mucus posted:

Coronation Street slaps/pounds/rips/slays/is nice

The ITV Player just has hours of classic Coronation Street and Wycliffe episodes every day. Recommended watching.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

teen witch posted:

Murder She Wrote
Pros:
- Angela Lansbury

Cons:
- there are a ton of seasons and much like any show created prior to 2015, the international streaming rights are garbage. I’m up to three different streaming services over how many goddamn episodes? Unreal.

that doesnt really matter imo, ive seen a ton of it and it is almost entirely episodic, you can just dive into any episode in any season in any order and generally you'll be fine, i dont think there's much of an overarching plot

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

teen witch posted:

Murder She Wrote
Pros:
- Angela Lansbury

Cons:

PushingUpRoses has a whole series of videos dedicated to explaining exactly why you should watch this show.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Lusty Grundles posted:

Seinfeld and Frasier aren't great rewatches now, mostly because of the 'Seinfeld Is Unfunny' trope (Extreme time sink warning: TVTropes). Everyone that came afterwards has aped it so much, that it just seems middle-of-the-road now.

i disagree about Frasier, it still holds up very well today. also i dont really think of it as the same kind of show as Seinfeld

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Earwicker posted:

i disagree about Frasier, it still holds up very well today
I don't know why I put Frasier in there, to be honest. I think I was initially trying to write something entirely different.

I have an unused Paramount+ subscription, and I'm a snobby nerd too so I'd like to get into it again at some point.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also op i know you are trying to whittle down your options not have more of them, but i seeing your list i think there is something missing, and that is Columbo. you should watch Columbo.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Seinfeld is like eating popcorn. Enjoyable for a while, but actually eating an entire tub of it will make you feel bad and have dire need of floss. And much like popcorn, it's got some episodes that have aged pretty poorly.

All that said, it's actually still pretty good because despite Jerry Seinfeld's general creepiness in retrospect, it actually makes really good use of physical comedy. Watch some of those "Big Bang Theory without the laugh track" videos on YouTube. They inspire existential terror in me, like I'm gazing into the abyss and its gazing back into me. Then watch Seinfeld de-laugh tracked and you'll find the joke actually still lands because every episode is based around some harmlessly (for the most part) comedic premise that is actually kinda funny.

A Festivus Miracle fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 26, 2023

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I would want to watch sopranos, but I live in NJ and would spend my time looking to see if I recognize where they shoot scenes, and would have no idea what the plot is.

Tl;Dr watch mystery science theater 3000 instead

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah the wire is rly good throughout

not on your list: top of the lake (season 1) was great.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

PushingUpRoses has a whole series of videos dedicated to explaining exactly why you should watch this show.

She’s actually why I’m choosing MSW! I adore PushingUpRoses, she seems so loving genuine

Earwicker posted:

also op i know you are trying to whittle down your options not have more of them, but i seeing your list i think there is something missing, and that is Columbo. you should watch Columbo.

Oh big Columbo fan already don’t you worry

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Also, True Detectives Season Two by itself isn't downright terrible. It's just that Season One was a stupendously hard act to follow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watch Frasier. Hating him is kind of the running joke of the whole series. His need for status and reputation is often his undoing and much of the supporting cast is there to laugh at him. I had a huge crush on Roz when I was a kid and it turns out I have a life-long love of brassy, pro-union women.

You should also watch The Last Man on Earth. Might be the best thing Will Forte has done.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Buce posted:

yeah the wire is rly good throughout

the last season is touch and go but you should definitely watch the wire anyway

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I think the Harvey zoo zoos thread had lots of TV show recommendations op

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

No Ted Lasso??

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The Wire - Season 1 is the best, but each season's plot is mostly self contained so it's okay to just stop watching if you get bored. None of them are bad though.

Murder, She Wrote - Thoroughly okay, it's no Columbo.

Frasier - Mostly okay, but there's a reason it won a ton of Emmy awards, Frasier usually had one or two brilliant episodes per season. You can just watch the highest rated ones.

Seinfeld - Overall extremely strong if you like this style of comedy, tons of great episodes. Most sitcoms will have an A plot and a B plot, but Seinfeld has A/B/C/D so usually at least one of those will be highly memorable. The beginning is the weakest part though.

Sopranos - One of those shows where everyone is an annoying rear end in a top hat, if this bothers you you'll just wait for them to die and not give a poo poo about their inner strife.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the sopanos is the funniest show ever created for television

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

teen witch posted:

She’s actually why I’m choosing MSW! I adore PushingUpRoses, she seems so loving genuine

honestly Murder She Wrote is episodic enough that you can sprinkle in an episode whenever you're bored of something more serialized, it might be a poor choice to just marathon it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

teen witch posted:

- I have a horrendous schoolgirl crush on Michael Imperioli for a while now.

He has always been hella sexy, and he is currently a silver fox.

quote:

My brain is broken but you knew that.

...what are you trying to imply? :mad:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

teen witch posted:

:hfive:

teen witch posted:

The Wire
Pros:
- I can finally say I watched the wire
- I think Idris Elba is in a season of this?

Cons:
- I’ve heard the quality swings wildly from season to season a la true detective, which is a shame.
- I know this show will bum me out one way or another.

If you're considering The Wire, might I suggest Homicide: Life on the Street, from the same creator? Based on his book Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets, the show is a fictional retelling of the actual detectives and cases featured in it.

Pros:
- Cast includes such distinguished actors as Ned Beatty, Yaphet Kotto, and Andre Braugher. Also features Richard Belzer (this show is John Munch's origin story)
- Well-written and tightly paced

Cons:
- I don't know how easy finding a stream for it might be
- The episode that Robin Williams guest-starred in will absolutely ruin your day

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

teen witch posted:

Seinfeld

Cons:
- oh boy, Jerry Seinfeld, woof. I’d honestly be watching it for pretty much everyone but him

I would say that you can get a lot out of Seinfeld without watching it for Jerry. He's the definitely the straight man in almost every episode (I think there's a few episodes where he's the unhinged one).

The stories around George/Kramer/Elaine are always pretty funny. Even minor characters like Pudi and Newman really make the show fun.

I'd start in like Season 2 or 3 to get a feel for it. That's what I usually do when I get back into watching it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The only one of those I'd watch is Seinfeld and it's easier to watch if you go in knowing they're all always-sunny/friends tier awful people and should relish in bad things happening to them and sympathize with the normal folks having to put up with them.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

stop what you are doing and watch Twin Peaks immediately op

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

teen witch posted:

Murder She Wrote
Pros:
- Angela Lansbury

Cons:
The show is much better if you assume Angela Lansbury is the killer in every episode and she's just really good at lying.

I mean it is more probable that she is a prolific serial killer than a crime novel writer who just stumbles on a staggering number of murders.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Watch the sky. They're out there

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Watch Red Dwarf

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

watch miss fisher's murder mysteries op

e:

check out these lady detective outfits
https://imgur.com/gallery/f96ie

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 26, 2023

surc
Aug 17, 2004

You should watch the wire it's really good, one of if not the best. Good enough the hype doesn't gently caress up enjoying it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

The only one of those I'd watch is Seinfeld and it's easier to watch if you go in knowing they're all always-sunny/friends tier awful people and should relish in bad things happening to them and sympathize with the normal folks having to put up with them.

Just skip Seinfeld and go straight to Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Bad Purchase posted:

e:

Yeah that's a pretty good one.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bad Purchase posted:

e:

Holy poo poo that lil snubnose kicks rear end

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Seinfeld is like eating popcorn.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Khanstant posted:

I remember in an interview Julia Louis-Dreyfus said she didn't let her kids watch Seinfeld growing up because all the characters were big assholes and not functional people

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The Wire is great all the way through OP. Idris Elba is a main character and the rest of the acting is top notch too.

I recently rewatched all of Seinfeld and it’s still good if you like Always Sunny type shows about terrible people. A few of the jokes and references are dated but it’s mostly enjoyable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Watch Red Dwarf

:haibrow: the first six seasons are absolute gold, imo

can take or leave most of the rest, but early Red Dwarf is a real treat