Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
convince me to read your posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

Watch Frasier. Hating him is kind of the running joke of the whole series. His need for status and reputation is often his undoing and much of the supporting cast is there to laugh at him.

him and Niles, who is essentially the same character, and their need to constantly upstage each other over the same exact same petty poo poo is a big part of the humor of the show. but also David Hyde Pierce is an extremely talented physical comedian and the few moments where the show lets him get into true slapstick are brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpImet3Xwgw

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Inzombiac posted:

You should also watch The Last Man on Earth. Might be the best thing Will Forte has done.

That show is way better than I expected it to be. It's really funny and charming and made me cry at least twice.

Seinfeld is worth watching all the way through if you like CYE and the handful of episodes you've seen. George really is just Larry David. Growing up, I loving loved Elaine and still do because it was so rare to see a woman on screen who was independent, took no poo poo, had the power in her relationships, and was just treated like one of the gang, rarely played into gender roles unless she was playing them up for personal gain.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
All of those shows are pretty good. Now if you want to watch a GREAT show I recommend season 1 of Bret Michael’s rock of love and/or Flava Flav’s Flavor of love. Both are the pinnacle of reality tv.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Krustic posted:

All of those shows are pretty good. Now if you want to watch a GREAT show I recommend season 1 of Bret Michael’s rock of love and/or Flava Flav’s Flavor of love. Both are the pinnacle of reality tv.

Get outa here with that tila tequila’s Shot at Love erasure

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Believe it or not, George isn't at home,
Please leave a message at the beep.
I must be out, or I'd pick up the phone,
Where could I be?
Believe it or not, I'm not home.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
The Wire and The Sopranos are the objectively :airquote: best :airquote: on your list.

You can skip season 2 of The Wire and the show is fantastically better and you will miss nothing.

Sopranos is almost entirely shot / located in northern New Jersey. IMO it doesnt really look or feel like the city at all.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
whoever says the wire sways rapidly between seasons is probably some dipshit who actually thinks they are creative

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Bad Purchase posted:

stop what you are doing and watch Twin Peaks immediately op

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

20 Blunts posted:

whoever says the wire sways rapidly between seasons is probably some dipshit who actually thinks they are creative

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
the wire is great and ignore anyone that tells you skip season two, it's a shift from the first season but still has extremely high ratings for a reason

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Watch Six Feet Under

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Go deeper into the vault and watch Hill Street Blues and St. Elsewhere. Or if it’s beautiful trash you like, Dallas.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
watch dark

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

Vampire Panties posted:

You can skip season 2 of The Wire

:catstare:

My kid is visiting, so would appreciate hearing thoughts on the best episodes of Colombo.

I think I'm into season 2. Have been waiting to see if a source other than Tubi will show up.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if you skip season 2 of the wire you dont get to learn what happens to smart assed detectives who dont know when to shut up

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

leave it to beaver owns if you pretend it's satire

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

I don't care for the other shows, Sopranos is good I guess but at least watch The Wire you uneducated swine.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Definitely don't skip season 2 of the wire, I've never heard anyone recommend that before. It provides a different perspective on the whole situation.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pimpcasso posted:

watch dark

:emptyquote:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the wire is the obvious choice on your list. don't skip season 2. lots of people don't like it because the first time you watch it you're like, "c'mon get back to the gang stuff!" but on rewatches it's one of the best seasons when you know how the overall show goes.

seinfield is unfunny shite imo, go with frasier if you want a comedy.

also

verbal enema posted:

Watch Red Dwarf

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Yvershek posted:

My kid is visiting, so would appreciate hearing thoughts on the best episodes of Colombo.

I think I'm into season 2. Have been waiting to see if a source other than Tubi will show up.

I liked the episode where donald pleasence plays an obnoxious wine expert.

Also RE: the wire season 2. I think most people sour on it because ziggy sucks so much rear end.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

A Strange Aeon posted:

Definitely don't skip season 2 of the wire, I've never heard anyone recommend that before. It provides a different perspective on the whole situation.

Yeah season 2 is excellent, that’s baffling. That’s like saying skip King of the Hill episodes where John Redcorn appears.

Would also recommend Wire, recently finished rewatch and it holds up exceptionally well. Would recommend giving it a few eps to click together, and closed captions helped me keep track of characters. Season five is a slight stumble but it’s still excellent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

season 5 isn't bad per se but it takes the show in imo the wrong direction. just kind of a strange departure from what had until then been a very realistic feeling show. but still worth watching.

i have no idea why anyone would complain about season 2, its great and fits well with the other stories. i guess ziggy was kind of an annoying character.

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

Pimpcasso posted:

watch dark

Do this. Everyone

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

bossy lady posted:

I liked the episode where donald pleasence plays an obnoxious wine expert.

Also RE: the wire season 2. I think most people sour on it because ziggy sucks so much rear end.

Is that the one where the poisoner uses one of those CO2 wine opening spikes to dose the wine? It inspired me to buy one of those.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Yvershek posted:

Jack Cassidy is the best Columbo villain so I'd suggest one with him. Maybe the magician one.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i watched a couple episodes of dark and everyone in it is miserable all the time and it’s boring

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Stink Billyums posted:

Jack Cassidy is the best Columbo villain so I'd suggest one with him. Maybe the magician one.

Leonard Nimoy is a pretty good one too.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

i watched a couple episodes of dark and everyone in it is miserable all the time and it’s boring

yeah p much they're miserable all the times

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The best part of The Wire is the expansion of what you think is a good procedural into an examination of how the US Police state sucks and how absolutely corrupting and poo poo it is in every respect.

Absolutely give it a go. If only for Bubbles.

Frasier's cast is top notch. Once they resolve the will they wont they it does get stale. But some of the best episodes revolve around farcical plots and theyre loving aces.
It's also kind of fun to see what were the things that annoyed people or were classed as snobbish compared to now.

Oh god he orders coffee in a really fussy way! At a 'café'! Wow!

The interplay between Niles and Frasier is interesting, as you get the idea that Boston made Frasier come off his high horse a little and not be entirely led by aspirations of being in the upper crust. Niles marries rich so everything he is at the start is an exaggeration of keeping up with the joneses who are donors to the philharmonic.

Yvershek posted:

Anything with either Robert Fulp, Jack Cassidy, or Patrick MacGoohan.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 27, 2023

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

You got to keep the devil

Way down in the hole.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Earwicker posted:

season 5 isn't bad per se but it takes the show in imo the wrong direction. just kind of a strange departure from what had until then been a very realistic feeling show. but still worth watching.

i have no idea why anyone would complain about season 2, its great and fits well with the other stories. i guess ziggy was kind of an annoying character.

Yeah the S5 newspaper story arc was too self-indulgent by the creators and it felt like they were mad at an editor who wronged them long ago, wasn’t as relatable as the school season. I was more bothered by McNulty deciding to fake a serial killer & Bunk just shakes his head, I know Jimmy is his close friend but messing with bodies & filing fake reports crossed the line from shenanigans to felonies. And Lester is one of the smartest characters on the show, he wouldn’t jump onboard a terrible scheme by a detective known for destroying his own life & who is taking swigs of whiskey at crime scenes.

Although the Bubbles & Marlo content S5 is excellent no complaints there.

Pimpcasso posted:

watch dark

It was ok, my main takeaway was a buddy with a mom from Germany being delighted that “Toast Hawaii” appeared.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

best bale posted:

Get outa here with that tila tequila’s Shot at Love erasure

Now I know what show I’m watching next. Good luck with your problem op.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
The Wire, for sure. If only for "Omar, comin'!"

Hell, if only for Omar.

and the famous quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

And the "gently caress" scene

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3n34oj

no youtube link, surprise, surprise.

It's good OP. even the dock worker season

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Although the Bubbles & Marlo content S5 is excellent no complaints there.

gently caress I forgot about Bubbles and Marlo completely. I need to rewatch, lol

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 27, 2023

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

JamMaster Flash posted:

You got to keep the devil

Way down in the hole.

You got to keep the fart
Way down in the rear end

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The Bramble posted:

Is that the one where the poisoner uses one of those CO2 wine opening spikes to dose the wine? It inspired me to buy one of those.

No he just smashes the victim in the head with something heavy. It was a funny ep because the wine expert murderer got caught being obnoxious about oxidation or something

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah the S5 newspaper story arc was too self-indulgent by the creators and it felt like they were mad at an editor who wronged them long ago, wasn’t as relatable as the school season. I was more bothered by McNulty deciding to fake a serial killer & Bunk just shakes his head, I know Jimmy is his close friend but messing with bodies & filing fake reports crossed the line from shenanigans to felonies. And Lester is one of the smartest characters on the show, he wouldn’t jump onboard a terrible scheme by a detective known for destroying his own life & who is taking swigs of whiskey at crime scenes.

yeah exactly, i got the same feeling, like it was mostly david simon kind of using his new influence to get back at his old bosses, which, fair enough, like i said it wasn't bad, but its really not in the same realm as season 4 or the prior seasons. that shot of carver getting back into his car and beating his steering wheel in frustration is like one of the most powerful scenes ive ever seen on tv

and yeah the mcnulty plot in s5 is not great. he kind of became more and more of a joke character over the course of the show. i liked his brief foray as a boat guy in s2.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 27, 2023

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Yeah absolutely do not skip season 2. You will initially be annoyed that all the characters are different but in my experience that feeling lasts like, half the first episode. Ziggy being the biggest tool on god's earth only enhances his arc.

In conclusion The Wire is absolutely worth a watch, give it like three episodes and if you're still not into it by then, tap out, but in my experience most people are into it by then.

Dark is really good also but yeah you have to like watching miserable Germans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Watch The Shield and pretend that stuff like that only happens in tv shows.